View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Why? Because they don't have "Elite" players at every position. They'll be a good defense in 2020 and definitely good enough to win another championship, but certainly not dominant. Adding another WR and RB would almost insure that this offense remains in the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Middle rounds? The Chiefs only have five selections at this time and it's better to draft BPA than overdraft a CB, Guard or LB.

With only 5 picks, the Chiefs don't have the luxury to draft for "depth". They need their first 3 picks (and hopefully 4th) to contribute almost immediately and it would be an absolute waste of critical resources to spend anything other than their 5th on depth.
Well I'm on board with us trading down from #32, as you mentioned. I'd even be on board with trading a pick or two from next year to acquire an additional pick this year with the understanding that compensatory picks are coming our way.

I mean, I agree we shouldn't overdraft a CB, guard or LB. I just find it hard to believe that if we trade down and acquire an additional pick in the 3rd that we can't find a way to make BPA match up with at least 2 of of those positions.

And I guess I'm back to bitching about the lack of draft picks at cornerback yet again, and last year I was proven wrong about the positional group then. But at least we had bodies then. We don't even have enough warm bodies to throw at the position to field a defense right now. Rashad Fenton is the only corner we've drafted in the last 3 years, and luckily he's worked out well so far. Can you imagine ignoring the position for a 4th year in a row? Ward is also a RFA after next year as well and could be in line for a bigger contract next offseason if he finally puts it all together.

Either way, I'm fairly confident Veach will in fact draft a corner in the first 3 rounds. And I'm hoping a linebacker is in the mix as well, because that's another position we've largely ignored in the draft. It's not exactly surprising that we have positional weaknesses at CB, LB, and OL when the only player we've taken at any of those positions in the last 3 years has been Dorian O'Daniel, and he's a complete bust.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.