Thread: Movies and TV Star Trek Picard
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #349
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I remember mine; I was massively unimpressed with TNG initially. Didn't like the new crew (especially Picard, who I found to be pompous, preachy and dull), thought Q was silly and annoying, and absolutely hated the design of the Enterprise D and the uniforms. Seemed like Riker was the closest thing they had to Kirk, but it was like he was going through space with his uptight dad, who stopped him from doing the Kirk things that would have made the show interesting. Watched a handful of episodes with little interest and then gave up on it completely. Completely understand why Patrick Steward later said that he didn't unpack his suitcase for the first few weeks. The show could have easily failed.

Then, around '89, I started watching again. This would have been around the start of the third season. The writing had improved dramatically. I still didn't care for the ship design, but it started to grow in me a bit. The uniforms changed and no longer looked like leotards, and there were no longer male background characters wearing skirts. The characters became more fleshed out, and they starting featuring the Worf/Klingon story arc. They also radically changed Troi's appearance and I then realized how hot she was. At that point I became hooked.

The following year the station that aired the show started showing reruns from the first and second seasons on a nightly basis, and I gave them another chance. There was a period over a couple of months where I basically saw a new episode every night, which was cool. Overall they still weren't very good, but there were a few gems here and there.

I saw Yesterday's Enterprise, my favorite TNG episode, when it first aired, before I saw the first season rerun where Yar was killed by the evil tar monster. At the time I barely remembered the character and had no idea that she had been killed off. When the Enterprise C came through the rift and suddenly Worf was replaced by Tasha, I remember thinking "who the **** is that?"
It's hard to decide which character displayed the worst acting early on: Picard, Trio or Tasha.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.