Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #2451
Suupraa Geniuuusss

I think you got a great gun. I'm a little jealous.

I've owned two Beretta 92Fs, and a 96 (.40 S&W).

They are really good guns. Very reliable, good accuracy. 92s are large duty-size guns which soaks up felt recoil pretty well, making fast accurate shooting pretty easy. They also were very popular at one time, so there's plenty of spare parts, magazines, holsters, accessories, etc., available everywhere for relatively cheap.

They are DA/SA triggers, which some people don't like, and generally require some practice to be fast with. This is particularly true of the 92/96 as the trigger pull in DA is quite long. However, the gun has a relatively long sight-radius and the triggers are fairly smooth despite their length. And the DA/SA system is very safe to use in a defensive situation.

They also have fairly large grips, so if you have small hands they can be difficult to operate well. Or you can buy a short trigger unit, I believe.

The Beretta 92F is an older design so you might have trouble installing a light (most 92s don't have an accessory rail), and the sights are usually cast on the slide, so replacing the sights will require a gunsmith that can cut your slide. Though your new 92 might have modern replaceable sights installed on it.

Overall, everything about the 92F is well-engineered. The controls are where they're supposed to be, large enough to use easily, and they all function in a positive manner. Under normal use it will give you decades of flawless operation.

It's size might prevent you from using it as a carry gun, unless you're a pretty big person, but as a home defense/truck gun it would be perfect.

I should add that Beretta has been making the 92 for more than 40 years; all the kinks have been worked out of the gun. It's about as perfect in execution as a gun can be for its type.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.