View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #189
MVP

This is a long article in The Athletic from Andy McCullough about the cheating scandal but the first several paragraphs are from Dayton Moore.

Quote:
Would your GM know if your team was cheating? Let’s ask him

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — In the spring of 2018, Royals general manager Dayton Moore delivered an edict to his players and staffers during his introductory address. Five months earlier, commissioner Rob Manfred had fined the Red Sox for using Apple Watches to relay the opposing team’s signs into the dugout. As Moore outlined his goals for the year, he mentioned the commissioner’s new restrictions on technology. The Royals would abide by them, Moore insisted.

I would rather lose 100 games, Moore told his organization, than break the rules.

Two years later, Moore chuckled as he recalled the meeting. “I wish I hadn’t said that,” Moore said. “Because we went on to lose (104) games.”

Moore told this story when asked a leading but pertinent question by The Athletic: If your team was cheating, would you know about it? The question arose from the findings of Manfred’s investigation into the Astros’ illegal sign-stealing system and general manager Jeff Luhnow’s insistence that he was unaware of the scheme. It might be unfair to ask the leaders of other baseball operations departments if they believed Luhnow’s story. But it felt reasonable to wonder if such an oversight might be possible in each man’s own organization.

“It’s hard until you put yourself in that situation,” Moore said. “I can’t say with 100 percent certainty that I would know.”
Also some good stuff from Brett Anderson who used to play for the A's.

Quote:
The video room at Oakland Coliseum resides a significant distance from the dugout, former Athletics pitcher Brett Anderson mentioned.

“I know the A’s weren’t cheating,” said Anderson, who signed with Milwaukee this winter. “Because, one, I don’t know if they could afford it. And to relay from ****ing 300 yards away in the video room? What were we going to do, get some vendor to throw some popcorn up in the air, or something? It’s too ****ing far to relay something.”

Anderson joked the only way for Oakland to communicate would be through the ballpark’s decaying infrastructure. “The lights go out, it’s a curveball,” Anderson said. “If there’s a sewage backup, it’s a fastball.”
WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.