View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #2823
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I think free agency is a blast. Lots of strategy involved, especially since the bidding is also linked to contract length.

I was in the middle of the battle for those defensive tackles - Andrew Billings, Michael Pierce, and later Jonathan Hankins. I just needed a rotational guy, so I kept figuring I'd get one of them. But apparently everyone needs a rotational guy and prices for all three kept going up. So I scoured the free agent list and ended up getting PJ Hall for a buck or something. He's probably not at the level of those other guys, but on a value basis I'm happy with it. I'll give him a one-year contract and if he performs I'll try to keep him.
I'm disappointed in myself for not staying on Billings longer. I came off him figuring I'd get Pierce at a more reasonable figure even though I liked Billings more (and Hankins was still so cheap at the time that it seemed possible to get Hankins and Pierce for the price of Billings). The next thing I know both Pierce AND Hankins are looking at getting more than Billings, who the bidding had already closed on. Good win by whoever took that one home.

I'm hopeful that Lancaster doesn't take a stiff penalty playing inside. He's just listed as a blanket "DL" but played mostly on the interior. As a rotational backup, he's a pretty handy guy to have but because of how crazy the bidding got on the Fatso 3 there, he ended up being counted on as a backup instead of a luxury item. And I've got a DE3 playing alongside him as my other rotational DT because I just couldn't justify that kind of scratch for backups when I really like my starters in Hargrave and Clark.

The Chiefs flipping to a 4-3 and Sutton souring everyone on the 3-4 has made this a far different creature than Sandbox 1.0 was. Back then everyone was playing a 3-4 so these interior line rotations weren't nearly as hard to put together. But with so many teams looking at 4-3 setups now, it's tough to get the pieces needed to ensure you're not rolling street free agents as backups by week 12.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.