View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #212
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
The film was quite different originally, with most of the team, including Cassian, K2 and Jyn, all surviving at the end of the film. It was far more "upbeat" and happy, with a different tone overall but once it was screened for Bob Iger, it was apparent that the film "Didn't work".

... he had no problem with killing them all, which is exactly what the film needed to succeed.

I thought it was brilliant from top to bottom, from casting to directing to story to cinematography (Jedha was extremely interesting to me, that there would be a city and planet "dedicated" to the Jedi. I thought that was an extremely interesting concept that the Jedi would have "worshipers"). But what really blew me away was the realism: We'd only heard about the bad deeds of the Empire but to actually see them, behind the scenes, was incredible to me. And the ends that the rebellion would go to in order to defeat the Empire was something that heretofore, I'd never considered.

It added much needed "weight" to the Star Wars universe that IMO, was lacking from the prequels and TFA.
I don't disagree. I don't even necessarily have an issue with them dying at the end, especially Cassyian and Jen. I agree that it needed to happen and there was no sort of prolonged torture scene or anything.

But man, the movie STARTS with Cassian knifing his partner and it goes downhill from there.

It is absolutely an outstanding movie but at some point the joy of the franchise was pretty much completely sucked out of it. And I guess that was necessary to tell that story, but that still gives it a tone unlike anything else in the Star Wars universe (at least the movies).
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote