View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #3955
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titty Meat View Post
You know way more about baseball then I ever will. I was simply looking at the record, his WS appearance, and what's been talked about as far as game management many were critical about Ned too. Yosted was a popular term in this town.

I look at the other name being thrown around and it doesnt wow me either. I think this team is 3 years away from being competitive and that's if all these prospects weve been adding are anything.

In short DJ I dont buy that this team will be good in 3 years anyway. I dont think Moore is that good and struck gold by finding Ventura and pulling off that Grienke trade.

Whoever gets the job wont be here in 5 years.
My concern would be that Matheny could easily get in the way of the Royals being good in 5 years.

Now if Moore (and really Sherman) is fine installing Matheny as something of a fall guy for the 3 year bridge period that I think most will concede needs to take place before the Royals are really ready to contend for the division again - that's fine. If Sherman's playing 5d chess, then he's giving Moore enough rope to hang himself so he can eventually install his own people from the top down.

Totally fair at that point. If he's just the means to an end; a way to fully and finally cut the cord and close the door on the DM era Royals, I can understand that and probably even applaud the Machiavellian nature of it all.

But lord help you if you let him get his hands on Singer, Kowar, Bubic or Lynch. I suspect even Matheny can't **** up Witt (though he did a number on Kolten Wong).

Just don't let him near your young starters. I will foreover weep at the fact that Trevor Rosenthal came to the big leagues with a starter's background, 98 mph velocity that held into the 7th, a big league curve and a knockout changeup....and was slowly destroyed by being hammered into the bullpen where his development was ignored until he blew up. I've never seen an organization handle a truly elite pitching prospect so poorly in my life.

Wacha was wrecked, Weaver was mishandled, Matheny only owes Siegrist about $30 million in career earnings after turning him from a 98 mph lefthanded monster to dust in the span of 3 seasons. I try really hard not to blame him for Reyes because the problems with Reyes started by letting him overload in the minors to find more velocity, but the major implosions came on the big league roster including letting him pitch an inning when his velocity had fallen 10 mph mid-inning and leaving him out there with a muscle detachment that worsened. And the injury cycle began when Matheny needed a new reliever after ripping through several the big league level so Reyes was removed from a starters routine and broke down.

Guys like Maness are kinda sad and Bowman kinda funny (because those guys were fungible and by the end Bowman would've looked more comfortable throwing lefthanded than the shotput delivery he was using to get around the screaming pain in his labrum...Matheny didn't care and sent him out there to die anyway).

But do not underestimate how quickly this man can do long-term damage to your squad. I mean hell, if Butt**** McGee doesn't lose the Cardinals the 2014 NLCS by pulling Lackey way too early in game 3 and praying Choate wouldn't suck after sucking all season, then using Wacha in extras in game 5 when he hadn't pitched in a month - Oscar Taveras isn't dead in the DR on 10/26 if he's got a game to play that day...

Yeah, it's unfair. But the Cardinals shoulda still been playing baseball the day OT died. They weren't because Mike Matheny is a shit for brains.

Don't hand waive shit for brains, if even for a season or two. You never know where it can come back to bite you.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.