View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #23
MVP

Belichick has traditionally paid a couple of stars on defense, usually along the DL and DB. Guys that come to mind are Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Devin McCourty, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinnest, Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, and Jerod Mayo. It's just that the contract values then weren't necessarily what they've ballooned up to be since about 2013 when the cap started it's massive 7% per year ascent. I agree with a philosophy that pays 1 good edge, 1 good defensive tackle and 1 good CB. I think you need those pillars on defense. After that, I think you try to even out your resources with average guys and rookie deal guys.

If you want to see more of a case in point where Belichick didn't pay, it's moreso on offense. He's always reworked his O-line with lunchpail dudes that don't break bank and drafted a LT every handful of years. He doesn't commit much there. He's rarely spent money on the receiver position and pretty much churns the RB spot. QB and TE are the places he's spent, that's about it.

I'd argue he's traditionally spent more on big defensive contracts than big offensive contracts. That said, he has alot more of those $3-4 million per dudes than most teams and less of the big dollar contracts.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.