View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #623
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
I finished CoR. It wasn't a bad read though the ending was unsatisfying.
Yeah, he recycled the theme from the first one no doubt.

I'm on Urth of the New Sun now.

Let us know how you like Spin. That's trilogy no?

Yep, Spin is a trilogy. I finished the first book last night. The concept/mystery is excellent and I enjoyed the book for the most part. My only criticism is kind of an odd one: I wish it wasn't part of a trilogy. I've been burned by too many tv shows and books that start off brilliantly and then blow it. I kind of wish this book was 50 pages longer and everything was wrapped up. Maybe the sequels will be just as good as this first book, but I'm always pessimistic about these things. Towards the end of the book Humanity invents some tech that I found a little confusing and at that point the books pace gets a little faster than it should have, imo. Kind of odd considering that the author has two more books to finish everything up.

Overall verdict: Good, and well worth reading. The mystery is fascinating and the characters are fairly interesting. Just go in knowing that some of your biggest questions won't be answered by the end of the book.

The Shadow of What Was Lost: This wasn't my cup of tea. Fantasy just may not be the genre for me. This too is part of a trilogy. Lots of time spent on worldbuilding, but it seems a bit derivative or at least not very innovative. The characterization is pretty dull as well. I'm not sure but this may in fact be a YA novel which may mean that I'm judging it too harshly.

Random opinion: there are too many sci-fi & Fantasy books written as multipart series instead of standalones.
Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.