View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #1785
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I agree penz. Whit is just so cheap and controllable. He does everything. He's just a baseball player, man. He's the kind of guy who's going to keep grinding into his mid 30's so I think he'll still be here by the time we get good again (which could be as early as next year). When I say good, I mean .500.

I'm all in on getting rid of Soler though. He can't field. He's a DH, and that is it. Hopefully he continues to show the power.
Whit needs to remember how to get the run home when there's someone on third with less than 2 outs. In the last two years, he's had 41 plate appearances with that situation (including one today) and he's gotten 8 hits and 7 sacrifices, along with 5 walks. His sOPS (comparing him to the rest of the league in that situation on OPS, with 100 being league average) is less than 55. His overall sOPS for his career is 100, thanks to a great 2017. He's been bad at getting the runner home and or producing runs in this situation these past two years and also his first year.
It's annoying to me because I think of him as a gamer and like him a lot, but he pisses me off in these situations. I realize that he hit the ball hard today in that situation. Also, overall, it's a small sample size. Still, he needs to come through more in this situation, in my opinion.

I got the data for this post from the "Splits" page at baseball-reference, https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ear=Career&t=b Also, I realize that OPS captures more than just getting the runner home. That's why I also reported the hits and the sacrifices.

Last edited by DanT; 06-02-2019 at 03:17 PM..
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli