Thread: Movies and TV Captain Marvel
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #798
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD10367 View Post
Saw it for the second time last week. Thought it was even better the second time. I don't understand why people are giving her such a hard time. If she wasn't such an outspoken SJW then I doubt anyone would have said anything about her acting performance. I mean, she's playing a Kree soldier (not exactly a role designed for laughs and smiles) *and* she doesn't have a memory of who she is. What did people want her to do, tapdance "Hello My Baby" like the WB frog? (And, yes, it was about girl power... big ****ing deal. So was "Wonder Woman". So was the "Buffy" TV series. So was "Alien" and "Aliens". Women do make up half the population, they're entitled to a few moments of ass-kicking. Why this bothers guys I'll never know.)

And I don't see them using her as the final-act macguffin in "Endgame". That's just too simplistic. It might have something to do with Strange and the time stone, or the soul stone, or Ant-Man shrinking down to go steal stone(s), or an alternate universe, but I don't think they'd stoop to "Scene: Captain Marvel swoops in and kicks ass, end credits roll."

This shit again? No one who is honestly reviewing the movie is really giving her a hard time. She just wasn't very good. She lacks the charisma for a superhero role, or at least she did in this performance. That's pretty bad when she's playing a Superman kind of role which is boring anyway. For a character that is so high powered there are only a few plot arcs that are compelling. They blew the origin story arc with a weak performance from the actress. That being said, it wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. In that way it was disappointing.

*Upon Edit: By the way those other shows you mentioned were interesting stories, told well, by compelling actors. This wasn't.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.