View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #446
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Well I think there are 2 guys here the big boards say I 'should' take and then there are 2 guys here that I actually want to take. And ultimately the consensus is a little higher on the former 2 than I am so I'm gonna leave 'em sitting there for someone else.

Of the 2 guys I like, I think this one fits a more critical immediate need with a higher ceiling player and with a guy who has a bigger drop-off to the next available option.

The Chiefs select Germaine Pratt, LB - NC State

When you have a plan, you see it through or you end up with a hodge-podge of ill-fitting parts. My plan generates my pass rush through the down linemen and through creating discomfort as much as raw sacks. Additionally, my run defense is going to come from matchups and by trying to play positionally sound, team defense. My DEs are going to specialize on maintaining discipline and funneling runners to where we want them to go while the rest of the squad flows to the football and gang-tackles.

Pratt is very possibly the best coverage LBer in this draft. His background as a safety is evident when you watch him; very fluid for his size and more than capable of running with any TEs you throw at him. As a run defender he shows himself to be a plus tackler and a willing participant. His issue in run defense is that he's simply inexperienced and will allow himself to get fooled. He plays the run a bit like he's still in the secondary; he looks to react and being a LB he simply doesn't have that kind of time. With added experience, he'll be able take that functional strength, solid tackling and overall tenacity and make himself as plus run defender, IMO. The nice thing here is that we so often look at these hybrid safety/LB types and say "Hey, can he had 20 lbs of good weight, get stronger and still stay fast?" We don't usually know but with Pratt we do - he's done exactly that. He can play at his present weight and do any job we can reasonably ask for him. And he's still as athletic and mobile as he was when he was playing in the secondary.

As a blitzer I'm not sure what he'll amount to. I see the skills there to be a 5-6 sack a season kind of guy who can be used in blitz packages to get to the quarterback. But he's raw, for sure, and has a ways to go there.

But his coverage ability, overally athleticism and willingness in the run game makes him a very good Sam prospect here. And what's really nice about him is that I think you could even attempt to make a Mike out of him. Now I think that's probably a bit too big of an ask, but if that doesn't take you have a ready-made Sam. And even then, if he can't figure out run responsibilities as well as you'd like you have a better version of DoD who can be your Will easily.

And if he's never a true 3-down linebacker, he's most assuredly a potentially premier 3rd down linebacker. You put him out there in Nickel formations, even your 'heavy nickel' with your 3 safety looks, and you're in pretty great shape there.

I think he fits extremely well into what Spags hopes to do and what I've done in trying to create a particular type of defense. This thing won't look anything like what we've been accustomed to over the last 6-8 years, but then again, that's kinda the point...

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 03-24-2019 at 10:06 AM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.