Thread: Movies and TV Captain Marvel
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #580
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Captain Marvel is a fringe character that's never had a following to speak of. So was Ant-Man. It doesn't really matter - Marvel will tell you what to be interested in, I guess.

But as to the idea that she was a normal comic book character - that's not been my understanding. Again; not my wheelhouse, but my understanding was that she was pretty much the comic-book equivalent of a Berkeley Intersectional Feminist from her inception.

{shrug}

Don't care. I've only seen the big 'tentpole' Marvel movies in theatres anyway. I think it's just been Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War. I'll go see Endgame when it comes out.

Everything else I've just waited for on Netflix and have been varying degrees of mindlessly entertained or somewhat disappointed.

Oh, and I just re-watched Black Panther. Seriously - if that thing didn't get embraced by the black community, it could've just as easily been scorned as being crazy racist. I'm watching that movie with people literally throwing spears and howling like gorillas and am wondering who the hell had the balls to make that. I mean that's dancing on a knife's edge right there.

The SJWs could've just as easily decided that it was blacksploitation rather than black empowerment, right? Am I completely nuts? How does taking a shitload of racial tropes from the 40s and applying them to an advanced African tribe (who became advanced simply by happy accident; they were the tribe that landed on the Vibranium) make them NOT racial tropes? There was a ton of cognitive dissonance there.
Holy shit. How did I miss all this? You're spot on best I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Lee View Post
Just saw the movie. All I can say is...meh.

Not a bad movie just not a great one. The Skrull make up looked goofy and amateurish. The "Grrrrrrril" rock songs got old after the second song.

Seems like there was a better movie lurking under the surface, it just couldn't get out.

And one big thing that made no sense...
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote