View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 05:04 AM   #9087
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
They're really thick, 2"+, so yeah, planning to sous vide them probably to rare and finish on the grill to medium rare. I don't sous vide to improve flavor; I do it to better control temperature if the final product. Giant hunks of meat like these are pretty difficult to grill perfectly, and at $20/pound, I really don't wanna **** it up.

Like above, I'll sous vide. I'd never seen them till I got a Costco membership. These are prime, and $20/pound.

You could reverse sear them on indirect heat to about 120 degrees to control flare ups, then move to direct for the sear and finish. Or like you said, sear and finish in the oven.
That probably more to how finicky you are about the definition of [med] rare.
I say medium rare, but if the meat is good enough, anything above room temperature is good enough for me.
That's why I said room temp to grill. The grill is for the Malliard, and the time for the crust is unavoidable, and it's likely that whatever interior temp achieved in that time is sufficient, particularly with this meat.

For me, the even more than the precise temp control, sous vide is about the buttery texture for cheaper cuts over time.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.