View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #9040
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebag02 View Post
I am not in a neighborhood. I am sitting on 160ac. I think I was visited by the 3 raccoons that are eating the cat food too.
I prefer smoked ground hog in the mid late summer over raccoon but my motto is "I'll toss any ones meat on the smoker but my own"

Processing hints

Under front limbs is a kidney shaped gland . Do not touch it That is a musk gland! (insert picture of B-9 Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot) Danger Will Robinson.

Wild raccoon: Soak in apple cider vinegar for 4 hours, rinse. dry, rub with yellow mustard and your favorite rub then smoke. I'd do a oak and apple smoke myself at no higher than 250 degrees but cherry sounds good too. Since it's wild you don't have heat the crap out of it. You will see that fatty meat will fall off the bone when ready. (say 165-170 degrees.) No need to wrap in foil but you can if you want. Plan on a 4-6 hour smoke or about an hour a pound.
City raccoon: Only soak for an hour. if yours is on a partial cat food diet maybe a 2 hour soak. Cook to 175+ degrees.

Remember it is going to render lots of fat (even worse late in the year), I put a generous drip pan down when doing ground hog to keep it from making a mess and add the grease to the Choc. Labs morning food.

Happy hunting and if you decide to smoke it post pictures!
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.