Thread: Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #951
Scarlett Johansson's boytoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard View Post
Because of the difficulty of heaving up the ledger (and attaching) and beams I assume?

One side of the deck will be less of a height, as it will be on the back side of a small retaining wall, but that is one of the main concerns I had as well. I can work from the ground on that higher ground side, but the rest would be from step ladders.

For the span, I was going to add a line of blocking to help with the sponginess, but don't know if the whole thing will be a bit bouncy or not for a 14' span.

For posts, I was going to use 5 6x6's and a double 2x12 for the beam sitting on them in a notch.
You're probably on the right track, though I might prefer an engineered beam for aesthetics.

Mostly, just the time, hassles, and danger of elevated decks. Imagine down the road you throw a party and have 50 people on the deck. Do you trust your knowledge to do it right?? It's one think to have a deck collapse 3 feet, but that far is a different ballgame.
mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.