Thread: Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #946
Veteran

I didn't see any specific thread or discussion within this thread about DIY deck building, and I was wondering if anyone recalls some good info here in CP on that subject that I might be able to do another search for.

I talked to a contractor over the summer about doing the work, but he unfortunately never got back to us (I know, should have contacted Phil instead), but in the mean time I have done enough research that I think I could manage it as a DIY project.

The deck will be 28' wide from the main story of our walkout basement and 16' out from the house. Most of the deck will be about 10' off the ground, and I was wanting to try to keep the row of posts down to one instead of two, and was trying to figure out if a 14' span and 2' cantilever would be ok, as most of the online design tools I have found keep wanting to add a second beam into it at about 8' and put the other beam out on the edge.

I want to use composite decking, and a calculator I found said 2x10 joists would be needed for the 14' span. I wanted to try to make sure my ducks were in a row before I talk to a lumberyard to push things further, which it sounded like would be the place to start, so that I can take what I get there to the HOA for approval, and from there to get the permit.
allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.allen_kcCard would the whole thing.