View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #1434
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
If I'm going through the headache of getting my fryer out anyway, I'm not going to bother with Sous Vide (I presume this was the chef steps version?).
I just use a cast iron dutch oven for frying, so it's not like I'm getting out a big Fry Daddy. Yes, Chef Steps. There's also something to be said for not sending oil airborne in your home for a half hour. Each piece of chicken took 2-3 minutes to fry.

Quote:
If you dry brine chicken, how the hell could you possibly make it dry anyway? It's virtually impossible to dry out fried chicken unless you just really really suck at it.
I've had a lot of dry fried chicken.

Anyway, there's documented benefits to tenderness with sous vide. Particularly the legs last night, I've never had more tender fried chicken. It was almost silky.

Quote:
That said, I do wonder if that technique wouldn't lend itself to a decent oven-fried chicken. Put them in a convection oven at 500 degrees until the outside is brown and I'll bet you still get some really crispy chicken for your trouble.
Maybe. I'm going to try this method with chicken fried steak next.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.