View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #547
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the heat cannot penetrate and warm up/cook the inside while the outside is being hit with the hottest temperatures and air flow, therefore creating uneven cooking.
I've read this four times and still not sure what you're saying.

If heat is being applied - hot, low, moderate, whatever - that heat will warm the entire steak. Obviously, it's not immediate, and if the heat being applied to the outside is so hot that it burns the outside layers of the meat before the heat has been absorbed by the interior meat not in direct contact with flame, then it will burn. If you're cooking that hot, use one side to sear, get a nice crust, then move it to a cooler side to properly cook the rest without burning the outside (or do the opposite in a reverse sear method). It sounds like your mom was putting it on high heat, cooking it till it was charred, and taking it off. It's entirely possible to cook over direct heat the entire time, but you need a lower heat setting. I often cook only over direct heat on the grill because I like a good crust, but I won't build as big a fire.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.