View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #351
oxymoron

Yeah, on one side you have the old thing about absence of evidence not being evidence of absence and on the other you have people who treat the subject like it's religion.

Personally, as far as proving anything goes, while I want to reiterate for about the 12,000th time that I do not support the extraterrestrial hypothesis - because I don't believe there's enough evidence for it, no matter how romantic I think the idea is - I believe that anyone advanced enough to travel here from another....wherever, be it star system or dimension or reality or even period in time, however they manage to do that, would probably be advanced enough to maintain a presence here without leaving any palpable evidence of their existence.

And as I've said before, I think if we did luck out and recover something truly advanced from a civilization other than our own, it would be impossible for us to reverse engineer it. We're talking about something truly "alien" to our understanding. We would have no shared context of any kind with whatever creatures developed it. We may even have evidence of "them" that we don't even recognize as said evidence.

And I also think the idea that it would be impossible for anyone to travel here is narrow-minded. We already believe we're advanced enough to begin theorizing faster than light technology ourselves ("we" meaning NASA, along with other theoretical physicists). Maybe it's decades, maybe it's millennia, but we're going to get there eventually assuming we survive as a species. And while I think the idea of our own SETI searching radio frequencies for other species is a bit silly, the reality is that we've been sending out our own signals for nearly a century. So if anybody does happen to look in that particular spectrum within a small but I think significant and ever expanding number of light years of here, this particular star system is flashing like a beacon. So they'd know exactly where to look.

(Which may or may not be a good thing...)

And that's without even getting into the kind of electromagnetic resonances that 70 years of atomic weapons testing has sent out.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.