View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #220
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
Well see I'm different than a lot lol...I believe a majority of the tecnologocial advancements we've seen have come from extraterrestrials.

I used to work with a guy at a jail that was retired Air Force and after I gained his trust, he kinda opened up to me a bit. He didn't say too much but I do remember him telling me that if we knew the technology the military and other govt entities possessed we'd be shocked.
That I believe. A lot of the technology we in the public see is based on developments from the 50s and 60s, so there's definitely stuff going on behind the scenes that would blow our minds. Can't wait so see some of it in 2025.

However, one valid question raised about advanced technology is that if the military has all this crazy stuff, then why don't they use it. Because we never see any evidence of it. The answer of course being they do, it just takes years after the fact for us to hear about it. And we mostly hear about the stuff that didn't work as well as they expected, like the non-lethal microwave stuff they tried to use in Iraq. ADS I think it was called.

We've definitely had directed energy weapons for decades, since the 80s. Don't think we're at the star trek phaser point yet, but it's probably not that far off. I'm sure our aircraft technology would blow our minds, as well. I do think it's entirely possible that some UFO sightings that look impossible technologically are actually us testing and/or using stuff that's next-next-gen. But even the stuff that works that we do hear about, like stealth tech during the first gulf war, is based on developments from years ago (that was all done in the 70s as I recall, based on research done much earlier than that...).

I just tend to think that we developed most of it ourselves. My guess is that anything we've recovered may give us some ideas, but is probably too advanced and too alien for us to understand or replicate. Sort of like if you handed a smart phone to a pygmy. They could probably figure out how to make it do some things, at least until the battery died, but assuming they didn't already know how to speak english, they wouldn't be able to understand anything they saw, or what the actual functions of the device are. And if they managed to get the cover off, they wouldn't have a clue what all the parts did (hell, most of us 'civilized' people wouldn't for that matter) and they certainly couldn't make their own cell phones. They just don't have the technology or industry for it.

So while the idea of reverse engineering extraterrestrial technology is romantic, I'd assume that's how it would go for us if we found any kind of advanced craft of extraterrestrial origin. It isn't like trying to reverse engineer captured German tech in the 40s or stolen Russian tech in the 80s. This is a completely different species from a completely different biosphere that's had completely unrelated evolution and uses a language that can't possibly have any analog on Earth.

There's only a few scenarios that I can think of where reverse engineering would work:

- they're not very far ahead of us technologically and everything they do is recognizable to us.
- they're far advanced but are for whatever reason working with us
- they're not extraterrestrial, or if they are, they're off-planet remnants of an earlier spacefaring Earth civilization that we have no historical record of, but their language(s) are recognizable if still foreign (perhaps even roots of ours).

But that's just throwing out ideas. Who the hell knows...

Last edited by keg in kc; 01-24-2015 at 02:51 PM..
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.