ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes names some unsung heroes on the 2019 team (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330816)

JakeF 04-23-2020 02:41 PM

Mahomes names some unsung heroes on the 2019 team

Patrick Mahomes names six unsung heroes of Chiefs, including one you’ll never guess

The Chiefs quarterback mentioned a name that will surprise you.

By Pete Sweeney Apr 22, 2020, 11:06pm CDT
Share this story

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes joined ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit on his Instagram Live feed Wednesday evening ahead of the NFL Draft.

One of the most intriguing parts of the conversation was when Herbstreit asked if Mahomes could name the “unsung heroes” of the Chiefs. He named six.

“I think our offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy is one,” said Mahomes. “You see him come up in these head coaching discussions — the way he prepares us every single week. He holds us accountable. He’s a guy coach (Andy) Reid really trusts to go out there and really build these game plans and help us go out there and score all these points. Another one — I know he’s not unsung — Tyrann Mathieu. The first day he got there, I’ve never seen anything like it. He just automatically was a leader on the team because of the mindset and the work ethic that he has... Another guy on the defense — I think Chris Jones did a great job of helping us out in huge situations and making big plays.

“Our left tackle and right tackle — Eric Fisher and Mitch Schwartz. In our division, if you look at the pass rushers, and then to look at how much I didn’t get sacked, those guys — they are guys I hope I have for a long time.”

Mahomes was only sacked 23 times during the 2019 season, which is in the bottom five of the league. That is an impressive feat — even considering Mahomes missed two and a half games.

Then the surprise name.

“After that, we have a defensive line coach named Brendan Daly, who I think eventually will be a head coach. The way he’s able to have the passion — he gave a speech to the whole team at one of our big games this last year.”

Think it was perhaps the game against Daly’s old team, the New England Patriots? The Chiefs defeated New England 23-16 in December.

“When you have position coaches that could be head coaches all around your entire team — that’s when you get teams that could do a lot of great things.”

Brooklyn 04-23-2020 02:47 PM

Kingmaker Mahomes

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-23-2020 02:47 PM

I was excited when we hired Daly. Now I'm excited he's a Chief.

Hydrae 04-23-2020 02:49 PM

O-line bookends, defensive guys, and coaches. The young man understands it all so well!

pugsnotdrugs19 04-23-2020 02:49 PM

Daly is awesome. We won’t have him for long unfortunately I doubt.

FAX 04-23-2020 02:51 PM

Wally has a system of elevating assistant coaches ... both in terms of title and paycheck.

We may keep Daly around longer than people might think.

FAX

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-23-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14925823)
Daly is awesome. We won’t have him for long unfortunately I doubt.

I wonder if Reid promised Daly the DC position once Spags retires

Rukdafaidas 04-23-2020 03:12 PM

I was more surprised to see Eric Fisher's name than Brendan Daly's. Especially after what Bosa did to him in the Superbowl.

kgrund 04-23-2020 03:14 PM

Funny he mentioned him. I was observing Daly at training camp this year and I told the guys who were with me that he was going to be a head coach. You could just see it.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-23-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 14925902)
I was more surprised to see Eric Fisher's name than Brendan Daly's. Especially after what Bosa did to him in the Superbowl.

To be fair Bosa does that to everyone

InChiefsHeaven 04-23-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Well, Fish took him out on WASP, so there's that...

RealSNR 04-23-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14925834)
I wonder if Reid promised Daly the DC position once Spags retires

Daly is probably going to get a DC promotion from another team here pretty soon.

Then again, I thought Eric Bieniemy would have a head coaching job by now...

Chiefspants 04-23-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

If Mahomes didn't appreciate Fish before Cam Erving started in his place, he does now.

Rukdafaidas 04-23-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14925910)
To be fair Bosa does that to everyone

He wouldn't have done that to Schwartz.

Chiefspants 04-23-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 14925940)
He wouldn't have done that to Schwartz.

Schwartz had one of the greatest postseasons that a tackle has ever had (played like Willie freaking Roaf). So that might be a slightly unfair comparison for Fish.