ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV New Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329794)

InChiefsHeaven 03-10-2020 08:01 AM

New Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n-Y97yfYwRQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This looks good...Comes out in June 2020.

BigRichard 03-10-2020 10:15 AM

In

Beef Supreme 03-10-2020 10:18 AM

He lands a bus on the Hudson river.

BigRichard 03-10-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14832983)

ROFL

PunkinDrublic 03-10-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14832983)

Spoiler alert that bus is hijacked by Somali pirates!

BigRichard 03-10-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 14833009)

The Somali's are from the pirate ship The Wilson.

mnchiefsguy 03-10-2020 11:00 AM

In. World War II, submarines...gonna be awesome!

Stryker 03-10-2020 11:13 AM

In

This is screaming BIG SCREEN! :thumb:

siberian khatru 03-10-2020 11:17 AM

It looks like a big budget version of those straight-to-video movies starring Tom Sizemore.

PunkinDrublic 03-10-2020 11:35 AM

From the screenshot it kind of looks like he did a biopic of Captain Stabbin.

Talisman 03-10-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 14833009)

That have aids.

Stryker 03-10-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 14833069)
It looks like a big budget version of those straight-to-video movies starring Tom Sizemore.

Lol! Like "Company of Heroes"

vailpass 03-10-2020 01:47 PM

If Tom Hanks is in it I’ll watch it.

Megatron96 03-10-2020 02:21 PM

Might be worth watching. The heavy use of cgi gives me considerable trepidation though.

BigRichard 03-10-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14833344)
If Tom Hanks is in it I’ll watch it.

Always the right answer.

Easy 6 03-10-2020 04:12 PM

Yeah this looks incredible, I’ll cough up $9 for that

Why Not? 03-10-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14833539)
Always the right answer.

This

Zebedee DuBois 03-10-2020 08:48 PM

Ive begun to wonder why we (the collective we, as in the nation) are more obsessed with WWII than any other war. It was certainly pivotal, no denying that. I'm not complaining - there are many compelling stories to be told.

It jus seems (and I haven't done any research to back this up) that there are 10 times as many movies about WWII than all our other wars combined.

Frazod 03-10-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 14834142)
Ive begun to wonder why we (the collective we, as in the nation) are more obsessed with WWII than any other war. It was certainly pivotal, no denying that. I'm not complaining - there are many compelling stories to be told.

It jus seems (and I haven't done any research to back this up) that there are 10 times as many movies about WWII than all our other wars combined.

I never really thought about it, but offhand I'd say there are a few factors.

It was fresh in the minds of people, both filmmakers and the general public, during the golden age of Hollywood.

It was the last major conflict in which we fought that we clearly won. It wasn't a draw, or a lingering, unresolvable mess.

And the generation that fought it was remarkable. It's been all downhill since.

PunkinDrublic 03-11-2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

They’re propaganda movies. WWII was the last war that had the countries full support.

Deberg_1990 03-11-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

What I find amazing is that Hogan’s Heroes was only like 20 years after WWII.

There’s no way a POW comedy could get made now days. For any war.

Zebedee DuBois 03-11-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14834171)

It was fresh in the minds of people, both filmmakers and the general public, during the golden age of Hollywood.

It was the last major conflict in which we fought that we clearly won. It wasn't a draw, or a lingering, unresolvable mess.

I think you've named quite a bit of it. In WWII it was much easier to define it as good v evil (or maybe that is easier in retrospect - I'm not sure how much of Hitlers evil was evident at the time). The following wars weren't so black and white, they were more political power moves (gross generalization).

We just feel better about ourselves in WWII, than we do subsequent or prior wars with maybe the exceptions of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

Also, they could churn out a movie a month back then.

Huffmeister 03-11-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

I think the sheer magnitude of WWII has something to do with it. It was the largest conflict the world has ever seen. There are so many stories; large, small, fiction, non-fiction, European theater, Pacific, and everything in between. It's like a writer's playground.

And as others have mentioned, there was a very clear line between good and evil. And the blurring of that line has potential for great storylines.

scho63 03-11-2020 02:22 PM

SPOILER ALERT: Unknown passenger leaves a soccer ball in a suitcase at the back of the bus with a shipping label and he spends the whole film trying to find the rightful owner, starting at the Fed-Ex terminal at the airport during World War II.

Some scenes are flashbacks to when he was a kid playing a piano and is being bullied by a few new Somali neighbors. He realizes his destiny when he goes to the boardwalk and a fortune telling machine called "Zoltar Speaks" predicts he will become the World's greatest Bus Driver.

He goes to the Empire State Building on his day off and meets a woman on a blind date and they fall in love and marry.

Buehler445 03-12-2020 01:02 PM

A lot of factors.

Largest war ever in a lot of different facets.

First time using modern warfare tactics.

Mobile warfare makes everything more interesting and easy to tell stories about.

Good villains.

And everybody knows about it. Knows the battles whatnot. For instance the battles of Verdun lasted 10 months. That’s just hard to tell a story about.

007 06-19-2020 05:28 PM

Looks like this is going straight to streaming now. Just showed up on my apple TV + account. Premiers in July.

Randallflagg 06-19-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14834171)

Absolutely! :thumb: :clap: :thumb:

Frazod 06-26-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 15028178)
Looks like this is going straight to streaming now. Just showed up on my apple TV + account. Premiers in July.

Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night that said it would be on this exclusively.

You'd think a Tom Hanks war movie would be something theaters would be interested in to bring back audiences. I don't get it.

InChiefsHeaven 06-26-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15038376)
Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night that said it would be on this exclusively.

You'd think a Tom Hanks war movie would be something theaters would be interested in to bring back audiences. I don't get it.

The 'Rona of course.

Sucks it's only on Apple too...

007 06-26-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15038376)

Curious what they paid to get it

Deberg_1990 07-10-2020 08:55 AM

Dropped today on Apple TV.

Deberg_1990 07-10-2020 10:27 PM

Excellent flick. Much better than the trailers made it look.

Only 90 minutes long so no wasted moments and moves at fast clip. Extremely well made.

Stryker 07-11-2020 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15061402)
Excellent flick. Much better than the trailers made it look.

Only 90 minutes long so no wasted moments and moves at fast clip. Extremely well made.

This, I enjoyed it as well! Most was filmed in Baton Rouge, LA from the docked USS KIDD. Good movie :thumb:

Frazod 07-11-2020 04:03 PM

Just finished it. Loved it. Very well done. :thumb:

Fish 07-11-2020 10:30 PM

Watched it today. Started off with a weirdly awkward exchange between Hanks and Shue. But after that goofy irrelevant bit, it was really great. Caught myself literally at the edge of my seat a few times with the action. Pleasantly surprised.

Buehler445 07-12-2020 11:34 AM

If anyone cares, the podcast Hardcore History Addendum podcast has Dan Carlin interviewing Hanks. It’s a really good goddamned podcast. I haven’t cared too much about what Hanks has to say about anything but it was a really good listen.

Is there a place I can watch this without an Apple TV subscription?

Fish 07-12-2020 12:59 PM

https://www.vidlox.me/enise1htvkbl

Malware app highly recommended

DaneMcCloud 07-12-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15063121)
Is there a place I can watch this without an Apple TV subscription?

There's a 7 day free trial available and after that, it's $4.99 per month.

My wife wanted (and received) an Apple TV 4K device for Mother's Day (even though we have 6 Roku TV's), which comes with a full year of Apple TV. They have a Roku app, so hopefully, I'll have time to watch this film in the next few days.

FYI, Hanks produced this film, which is part of the reason why he was so bummed out that it wasn't going to be released in theaters and going to Apple TV only, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I LOVE his work and That Thing You Do, which he also wrote and produced (while co-writing the songs) is a regular staple in my home.

Frazod 07-12-2020 02:38 PM

He also wrote the screenplay.

Very refreshing film as well. No agenda, no subplots, no preaching, just straight forward good guys versus bad guys. It's the kind of movie that could have been made 50 or 60 years ago, only with models in a big tank instead of CGI.

Jenson71 07-12-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15063445)
He also wrote the screenplay.

Very refreshing film as well. No agenda, no subplots, no preaching, just straight forward good guys versus bad guys. It's the kind of movie that could have been made 50 or 60 years ago, only with models in a big tank instead of CGI.

Exactly what I thought. It even had the classic clapping/swelling music ending.

Overall, I liked it. It reminded me that anyone who signs up for the Navy is nearly insane.

I had no idea that U-boats needed to come up for air.

Frazod 07-12-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 15063508)
Exactly what I thought. It even had the classic clapping/swelling music ending.

Overall, I liked it. It reminded me that anyone who signs up for the Navy is nearly insane.

I had no idea that U-boats needed to come up for air.

The subs of that era could only operate submerged for limited amounts of time. While completely underwater, they ran on battery power, as the diesel engines required air to function. They would run out of both breathable air and power if they stayed under for too long.

Jenson71 07-12-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15063538)
The subs of that era could only operate submerged for limited amounts of time. While completely underwater, they ran on battery power, as the diesel engines required air to function. They would run out of both breathable air and power if they stayed under for too long.

A History channel website says they could be under water for about 2 hours. That blows my mind. I honestly thought they were roaming around for about as long as their food/ammunition supplies could last.

Sorry 07-12-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15063283)
There's a 7 day free trial available and after that, it's $4.99 per month.

My wife wanted (and received) an Apple TV 4K device for Mother's Day (even though we have 6 Roku TV's), which comes with a full year of Apple TV. They have a Roku app, so hopefully, I'll have time to watch this film in the next few days.

FYI, Hanks produced this film, which is part of the reason why he was so bummed out that it wasn't going to be released in theaters and going to Apple TV only, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I LOVE his work and That Thing You Do, which he also wrote and produced (while co-writing the songs) is a regular staple in my home.

Damn didn’t realize Tom cowrote on TTYD, it’s one of my fav movies. “I quit”

Frazod 07-12-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 15063560)
A History channel website says they could be under water for about 2 hours. That blows my mind. I honestly thought they were roaming around for about as long as their food/ammunition supplies could last.

It's been many years since I've seen Das Boot. Seems like it would be a nice companion movie to Greyhound. Perhaps I'll watch it tonight.

Jenson71 07-12-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15063582)
It's been many years since I've seen Das Boot. Seems like it would be a nice companion movie to Greyhound. Perhaps I'll watch it tonight.

Unfortunately it’s about 3x the length.

Frazod 07-12-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 15063589)
Unfortunately it’s about 3x the length.

Great movie, though.

candyman 07-12-2020 04:02 PM

Tom Hanks is a pedo

DaneMcCloud 07-12-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

I'm stoked about Greyhound now but my all time favorite submarine movie is The Hunt For Red October. I just can't turn that movie off, even if I start watching it at 10pm.

If Greyhound is even close to Red October in terms of film making and story, I'll probably find it difficult to turn off as well.

Miles 07-12-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

The long ass directors cut is particularly outstanding and one of my favorites.

There was also a recent series for German TV that’s on Hulu. It’s a mixed bag with some unnecessary plot lines on shore but everything sub related was pretty good stuff.

Demonpenz 07-12-2020 06:27 PM

crimson tide is good as well.

rabblerouser 07-12-2020 06:30 PM

Does Tom Hanks rape any kids in it?

Miles 07-12-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 15063560)

That was more WWI era when the battery technology was less advanced. WWII era was more like a day submerged but they were slow when underwater. I also seem to recall reading something about surface firing of torpedoes being more accurate.

Deberg_1990 07-12-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 15063777)
crimson tide is good as well.

Absolutely. A favorite of mine.

Buehler445 07-12-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 15063783)
That was more WWI era when the battery technology was less advanced. WWII era was more like a day submerged but they were slow when underwater. I also seem to recall reading something about surface firing of torpedoes being more accurate.

That’s not what Hanks said in the Hardcore History Adendum podcast.

Jenson71 07-12-2020 07:54 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sorry <a href="https://twitter.com/USArmy?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@USArmy</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/tomhanks?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tomhanks</a> is finally one of ours now.<br><br>Out now, head to sea 🌊 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GreyhoundMovie?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GreyhoundMovie</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/AppleTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AppleTV</a>. <a href="https://t.co/0mXBwDPfNF">pic.twitter.com/0mXBwDPfNF</a></p>&mdash; U.S. Navy (@USNavy) <a href="https://twitter.com/USNavy/status/1281588994267021314?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hammock Parties 07-12-2020 09:12 PM

This is the last movie we'll ever see Tom Hanks in.

Buehler445 07-12-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15064019)
This is the last movie we'll ever see Tom Hanks in.

Why do you say that?

Frazod 07-12-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15063634)
I'm stoked about Greyhound now but my all time favorite submarine movie is The Hunt For Red October. I just can't turn that movie off, even if I start watching it at 10pm.

If Greyhound is even close to Red October in terms of film making and story, I'll probably find it difficult to turn off as well.

Agreed about Red October - hell, I watched most of it for 1,000th time just yesterday. It's one of those movies like Die Hard or Aliens, that I'll watch if it's on no matter how many times I've seen it (I guess I should add Silverado to that list, since I just watched it again this evening). Also, Red October came out while I was still in the Navy, and the portrayal of Navy ships and personnel is spot on for the time period. Back then that was generally not the case.

Greyhound is closer to the most recent Midway than Red October, but it's still quite enjoyable. I would have had no problem paying theater money to see it.

DaneMcCloud 07-12-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15064038)
Agreed about Red October - hell, I watched most of it for 1,000th time just yesterday. It's one of those movies like Die Hard or Aliens, that I'll watch if it's on no matter how many times I've seen it (I guess I should add Silverado to that list, since I just watched it again this evening). Also, Red October came out while I was still in the Navy, and the portrayal of Navy ships and personnel is spot on for the time period. Back then that was generally not the case.

Greyhound is closer to the most recent Midway than Red October, but it's still quite enjoyable. I would have had no problem paying theater money to see it.

Awesome!

I watched Midway last weekend and my first reaction was that of utter horror as I saw the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I’ve seen every war movie ever made and I’m not sure if D Day, as depicted in Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan, was any more horrific than watching those men die horrible deaths. I know it’s a movie and they’re actors and all, but just seeing those men, those brave Americans, die with absolutely no chance of not only fighting back, but with no option of surviving.

And why in the world is the name Dick Best not celebrated more in American history? The guy singlehandedly took out not one, but two of the Japanese navy’s largest ships, yet there’s never a word about the guy.

The actor that portrayed him was excellent.

EPodolak 07-12-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15064033)
Why do you say that?

See the DC thread - it's all the rage.

Frazod 07-12-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15064055)
Awesome!

I watched Midway last weekend and my first reaction was that of utter horror as I saw the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I’ve seen every war movie ever made and I’m not sure if D Day, as depicted in Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan, was any more horrific than watching those men die horrible deaths. I know it’s a movie and they’re actors and all, but just seeing those men, those brave Americans, die with absolutely no chance of not only fighting back, but with no option of surviving.

And why in the world is the name Dick Best not celebrated more in American history? The guy singlehandedly took out not one, but two of the Japanese navy’s largest ships, yet there’s never a word about the guy.

The actor that portrayed him was excellent.

There was another pilot in the Enterprise squadron named Norman Kleiss who also scored two carrier hits, and later a hit on a destroyer, thus becoming the only man to hit three ships in the battle. The people who made the movie omitted him and his contributions completely; I assume they thought it would detract from Best's story to add him.

If you're interested in Pearl Harbor, I highly recommend the book Second To Last To Leave the USS Arizona, written by Lauren Bruner, the final survivor of the attack who passed away just last year. The rescue scene is undoubtedly based on his story, although the truth is far worse than what the movie depicted.

It's a tough, but interesting read. A good part of the book details what life was like on Hawaii before the bombing, which was also very interesting.

Buehler445 07-13-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15064063)
See the DC thread - it's all the rage.

I did a quick look in that shithole and couldn't find much so I bailed. Google search says some chick made allegations, but she's probably a troll and nothing could be substantiated.

Is that right?

eDave 07-13-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15064541)
I did a quick look in that shithole and couldn't find much so I bailed. Google search says some chick made allegations, but she's probably a troll and nothing could be substantiated.

Is that right?

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=190

loochy 07-13-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15064033)
Why do you say that?

Check out the Wayfair thread in DC

Buehler445 07-13-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15064574)

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 15064584)
Check out the Wayfair thread in DC

:facepalm:

Why did I ask?