ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330353)

RunKC 04-03-2020 08:50 AM

Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft

Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Quote:

KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Quote:

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.

Tribal Warfare 04-03-2020 08:52 AM

Yep, protect the Mahomes investment

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 08:55 AM

What exactly does weapons mean? I hope runningback. We have our entire WR core locked up for next year, so any WR we draft would likely be no better than #4 or #5 on the depth chart. Not exactly a pressing need at the moment considering our other needs.

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 08:56 AM

I've been running mocks moving out of the first and and picking up extra picks. I'm always happy with what I end up with.

I predict that's what Veach ends up doing. Seems like there's a LOT of real talent in the second, third and depending on position even into the fourth rounds

staylor26 04-03-2020 08:57 AM

Our front office appears to not be scared of the challenges his years draft will present. You’d think we’d be one of the loudest voices against it considering our late start as well.

If they knock this draft out of the park, it would be a huge factor in our potential dynasty.

The Franchise 04-03-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14884487)
What exactly does weapons mean? I hope runningback. We have our entire WR core locked up for next year, so any WR we draft would likely be no better than #4 or #5 on the depth chart. Not exactly a pressing need at the moment considering our other needs.

We’re also going to be down at least two WRs next year. Draft one now and let him learn the system during a shortened year.

58-4ever 04-03-2020 08:57 AM

they won't be in separate rooms, but it's a cute story. they just don't want the social distancing police to be up in arms.

staylor26 04-03-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14884495)
We’re also going to be down at least two WRs next year. Draft one now and let him learn the system during a shortened year.

Nope. Every early draft pick MUST contribute year 1. No excuses!

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Well, a Cam Akers in the third or a McFarland in the 4th would be nice pieces.

bolstering the offensive line is a necessity.

And a Lynn Bowden in the the fourth would be a fun swiss army knife for Reid to play with; a former #1 WR who played QB last season for Kentucky due to injury issues at the position and actually did well as a dual threat QB. WR screens that are actually laterals and then bombs downfield, that could be a lot of fun.

TribalElder 04-03-2020 08:59 AM

More Fatties!!!

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14884506)
More Fatties!!!

need at least a C or a G that's ready to play, I agree.

One in the draft, one in FA.

Gotta fix that interior.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14884505)
Well, a Cam Akers in the third or a McFarland in the 4th would be nice pieces.

And a Lynn Bowden in the the fourth would be a fun swiss army knife for Reid to play with; a former #1 WR who played QB last season for Kentucky due to injury issues at the position and actually did well as a dual threat QB. WR screens that are actually laterals and then bombs downfield, that could be a lot of fun.

And I'm totally fine with that, I just hope we don't spend a 1st or 2nd on one.

RunKC 04-03-2020 09:08 AM

I’ve been sharing the news that I’ve seen for over a month about this draft. It’s a damn good draft that’s has quality depth from pick 25 to roughly 115.

There’s going to be starting caliber players in rd 3 to early rd 4, which is why I want Veach to try to accumulate 2 more picks in that area.

And yeah I think “weapons” for Veach means another starting caliber RB and developmental receiver. It’s no secret that we struggled at RB last year. Damien Williams was hurt and Shady fumbled while Darwin doesn’t look like a starter.

Get an extra pick or two and get one of these RB’s.

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 09:18 AM

I’d be fine with trading back. Given we only have 5 picks, it seems like the smart route to go.

If we could somehow get a first for Jones and trade both first rounders, then we could have like 8-9 picks instead of 5. Have to get a first or a good package of picks for Jones though. Otherwise, just sign him.

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14884489)
I've been running mocks moving out of the first and and picking up extra picks. I'm always happy with what I end up with.

I predict that's what Veach ends up doing. Seems like there's a LOT of real talent in the second, third and depending on position even into the fourth rounds

what picks are you typically getting in return ive seen some wild speculation

Easy 6 04-03-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Yeah moving out of the first is looking more and more likely, there’s definitely great value well outside the first at multiple positions

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 09:41 AM

I fully support moving out of the first, but it's crazy to think that if we do Veach will have never had a 1st round pick at his disposal through his first 3 years on the job.

BigChiefFan 04-03-2020 09:42 AM

I can’t wait to see how the Chiefs address the draft. We’re set up to take Best Available Player, instead of reaching on a player. Veach is the man.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 14884608)
I can’t wait to see how the Chiefs address the draft. We’re set up to take Best Available Player, instead of reaching on a player. Veach is the man.

Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury when much bigger needs are there. By all means, we can certainly take BPA at CB, LB, OL in my opinion, but I personally wouldn't say we're just so set at every position that we can ignore positional needs in the draft. We still have some pretty huge holes on the roster at CB and LB in particular.

bigjosh 04-03-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14884701)
Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury when much bigger needs are there. By all means, we can certainly take BPA at CB, LB, OL in my opinion, but I personally wouldn't say we're just so set at every position that we can ignore positional needs in the draft. We still have some pretty huge holes on the roster at CB and LB in particular.

If a top notch receiver, tight end, safety, rb or pass rusher is available they should take them there too.

Kelce is getting older
Chris jones future with the team is uncertain
Tanoh is in a contract year
Speaks sucks ass
Sammy and Robinson likely gone next year
Mathieu has two contract years left

This team is setup so that whatever player they deem the best value they can snag. Any position would be able to contribute year one.

RunKC 04-03-2020 10:31 AM

Aside from QB, BPA wouldn’t be bad at all.

WR-losing Sammy and Robinson after 2020
RB-Another weapon, Damien won’t be here more than 2 years
OT-can cut Fisher if we draft one, save $$
G-definitely could use a dominant LG
C-same ^^^
TE-Another weapon and Kelce is 30. Wouldn’t have to pay new TE until Kelce is 35.
DE-Tanoh is in contract year, Okafor can’t be kept at 2021 price and Ogbah is gone. Pass rush is key
DT-Another interior rusher next to Jones? Hell yeah. We don’t have a good interior rusher there outside of him (Speaks is unproven). Could also go entire contract before having to pay drafted player.
LB-obvious need
CB-obvious need
S-imagine a first rd safety would be able to play all over. No problem with that

I don’t like some of those positions for rd 1, but honestly it really wouldn’t bother me too much. What may not be a need now could be a need in 2 or 3 years and help benefit us cap wise.

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14884605)
I fully support moving out of the first, but it's crazy to think that if we do Veach will have never had a 1st round pick at his disposal through his first 3 years on the job.

yeah, well, but you got Mahomes for two and Clark for one.

It's not like you didn't get value.

HemiEd 04-03-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

I've been running mocks moving out of the first and and picking up extra picks.

Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson bring bad memories from the Chiefs doing that in 2004

BigChiefFan 04-03-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

To me, it’s always BPA, within reason. We aren’t drafting a 1st round Kicker, man. Lol. I’m just saying most of the team is solidified with good, solid players. A good GM is always looking to the future and I can see us drafting a WR and/or RB, even though it’s not an immediate need. If Denzel Mims or Jonathan Taylor is sitting there, it might be hard to justify taking a guard there. To me, it’s how do you improve the roster the best for the long term. It’s likely we lose Watkins, next year and our RB’s could use a bolster to the roster. I place a higher value on the skill positions and still see we could pick up a quality guard in the 3rd/4th/5th round.

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14884869)
Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson bring bad memories from the Chiefs doing that in 2004

You could also look at the 2016 draft.

We moved out of the first and took Chris Jones. We still managed to grab Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill later.

We also grabbed Parker Ehinger who we flipped for Ward.

oldman 04-03-2020 11:39 AM

The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Has Boulevard has approached the Chiefs?

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us trading out of the 1st, but at #32 I wonder what we could pick up. I doubt it would be much more than a mid to late 2nd.

el borracho 04-03-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14884955)
The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Has Boulevard has approached the Chiefs?

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us trading out of the 1st, but at #32 I wonder what we could pick up. I doubt it would be much more than a mid to late 2nd.

What additional picks could we get from Miami if we drop from 32 to 39? I know Miami currently has multiple picks in the first, which makes it unlikely they would trade up, but it is entirely possible that they trade up to 2 or 3 to get a QB (using some of those first round picks). Maybe a receiver drops to 32 and Miami is keen to set up their QB-WR combo.

ModSocks 04-03-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

People gotta get this shit out of their heads.

A drafted WR is only #4 or 5 until someone gets hurt. All of a sudden that player becomes a guy getting a lot of snaps.

This is a team that routinely uses 3 WR or more sets.

This offense essentially has 3 STARTING WR's. So your #4 guy is just an injury away from being a starter.

And since this offense is, scratch that, TEAM, is centered around Pat Mahomes and our passing game, it's crucial that the unit stays strong even through injuries.

You simply CANNOT go wrong drafting WR's for Mahomes no matter how many good ones you think you've got.

ModSocks 04-03-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury

They aren't luxuries. They're insurance policies that also give you added leverage and flexibility when the starter's contract comes due.

I.e it was nice having the "luxury" of Dee Ford when Tamba Hali fell off.

It was nice having the "luxury" of Watkins when Tyreek went down.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14885011)
They aren't luxuries. They're insurance policies that also give you added leverage and flexibility when the starter's contract comes due.

I.e it was nice having the "luxury" of Dee Ford when Tamba Hali fell off.

It was nice having the "luxury" of Watkins when Tyreek went down.

I still think they're luxuries when you see the holes we have at other positions, specifically LB and CB. I'm sure I'll get shit for spouting off yet again about the cornerback position, but the current state of the position is pretty dire and I think most people would agree. We have Ward and Fenton, that's it. Even if we sign Breeland, that's 3 guys. We absolutely need a cornerback that can contribute pretty much right away, and we don't have the cap room to address it in FA.

Linebacker has been a weakness for a while and while he wasn't exactly a playmaker, losing Ragland just makes the position worse. We still don't have a single linebacker on the roster who can adequately cover a runningback or tight end.

So yeah, I still think certain positions like WR are a luxury unless someone can come up with an explanation as to how the team will address cornerback and linebacker if they don't come out of the draft with each position addressed within the first 3-4 rounds.

HemiEd 04-03-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14884901)
You could also look at the 2016 draft.

We moved out of the first and took Chris Jones. We still managed to grab Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill later.

We also grabbed Parker Ehinger who we flipped for Ward.

I guess I had forgotten they moved out of the first again, thanks.

ModSocks 04-03-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14885094)
I still think they're luxuries when you see the holes we have at other positions, specifically LB and CB. I'm sure I'll get shit for spouting off yet again about the cornerback position, but the current state of the position is pretty dire and I think most people would agree. We have Ward and Fenton, that's it. Even if we sign Breeland, that's 3 guys. We absolutely need a cornerback that can contribute pretty much right away, and we don't have the cap room to address it in FA.

Linebacker has been a weakness for a while and while he wasn't exactly a playmaker, losing Ragland just makes the position worse. We still don't have a single linebacker on the roster who can adequately cover a runningback or tight end.

So yeah, I still think certain positions like WR are a luxury unless someone can come up with an explanation as to how the team will address cornerback and linebacker if they don't come out of the draft with each position addressed within the first 3-4 rounds.

I'm sure they'll draft a guy or two to play corner. They'll sign a guy or two as well.

And Fenton looked pretty damn good for a rookie. He'll be a better player for us than Fuller ever was.

Look, if CB is the right guy where we pick, then great take him. No one is saying not to.

But reaching for a player just because it's a "need" is how you build bad football teams. We've seen that time and time again.

And again, it's not a luxury, but an insurance policy. One that we WILL eventually need.

if they do take a WR early, and he blossoms, and Watkins leaves next season, you're going to be damn glad the Chiefs invested in a "luxury".

You take the BPA every time because the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives.

It's much better to have a good player that you don't "need" than to have a bad player that you can't use.

DaneMcCloud 04-03-2020 01:09 PM

I've expected them to trade down from #32 since they won the Superbowl.

There's WAY too much perimeter talent for the Chiefs to pass up and I'd love to see them grab a RB and WR within the first three rounds.

Regardless of their defensive holes, it's not a player or two away from being dominating unit, whereas adding a stellar rookie WR and RB might be enough to push this offense into the Greatest Of All Time conversation.

Titty Meat 04-03-2020 01:11 PM

I dont expect them to trade down. Havent had a 1st round pick in years now, given the cap situation that extra years valuable.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 14885173)
I dont expect them to trade down. Havent had a 1st round pick in years now, given the cap situation that extra years valuable.

Having an extra player taken on a rookie contract from the 3rd round for 4 years is more valuable than a single 5th year option. If the 1st round pick was good enough he'd likely be extended before the 5th year anyways

DaneMcCloud 04-03-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 14885173)

The new CBA treats 1st round players differently in the 5th year than in the old CBA and the cap hit is significantly different in the new version.

Also, not having a first round pick didn't hurt their Super Bowl run and if not for the offsides penalty in 2018, we'd probably be looking at a Chiefs team that won Back-To-Back titles.

Personally, I'd rather have two 2's and two 3's in this draft than a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

BryanBusby 04-03-2020 01:31 PM

The Chiefs are in a great spot to repeat as champions. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Veach moved up and CP loses its mind.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14885166)
I've expected them to trade down from #32 since they won the Superbowl.

There's WAY too much perimeter talent for the Chiefs to pass up and I'd love to see them grab a RB and WR within the first three rounds.

Regardless of their defensive holes, it's not a player or two away from being dominating unit, whereas adding a stellar rookie WR and RB might be enough to push this offense into the Greatest Of All Time conversation.

Why isn't the D a player or 2 away? The safeties are great, the DL is good/great. Ward and Fenton at CB are both solid. Hitchens, Wilson, and maybe Niemann/DOD make up most of a linebacker unit. I'd argue that the right picks at corner and linebacker could have the unit playing like a top 10 unit again by season end, barring significant injuries. The offense is already pretty much guaranteed to be top 5, especially if we can find some depth in rounds 3-5 at RB and IOL. If we trust that Hardman was a good pick last year, why would we need to use another high pick again on a receiver? And it's already been proven you can find good runningbacks in the middle rounds, it seems like a waste when we already have Williams and just need a solid #2 for him.

BigChiefFan 04-03-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14885138)
I'm sure they'll draft a guy or two to play corner. They'll sign a guy or two as well.

And Fenton looked pretty damn good for a rookie. He'll be a better player for us than Fuller ever was.

Look, if CB is the right guy where we pick, then great take him. No one is saying not to.

But reaching for a player just because it's a "need" is how you build bad football teams. We've seen that time and time again.

And again, it's not a luxury, but an insurance policy. One that we WILL eventually need.

if they do take a WR early, and he blossoms, and Watkins leaves next season, you're going to be damn glad the Chiefs invested in a "luxury".

You take the BPA every time because the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives.

It's much better to have a good player that you don't "need" than to have a bad player that you can't use.

Killer post!!

MahiMike 04-03-2020 01:48 PM

Andy at the hotel room: "Press 1 to make a draft selection. Press 0 to order room service".

The pressure will be real.

DaneMcCloud 04-03-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14885242)
Why isn't the D a player or 2 away? The safeties are great, the DL is good/great. Ward and Fenton at CB are both solid. Hitchens, Wilson, and maybe Niemann/DOD make up most of a linebacker unit. I'd argue that the right picks at corner and linebacker could have the unit playing like a top 10 unit again by season end, barring significant injuries.

Why? Because they don't have "Elite" players at every position. They'll be a good defense in 2020 and definitely good enough to win another championship, but certainly not dominant. Adding another WR and RB would almost insure that this offense remains in the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14885242)
The offense is already pretty much guaranteed to be top 5, especially if we can find some depth in rounds 3-5 at RB and IOL. If we trust that Hardman was a good pick last year, why would we need to use another high pick again on a receiver? And it's already been proven you can find good runningbacks in the middle rounds, it seems like a waste when we already have Williams and just need a solid #2 for him.

Middle rounds? The Chiefs only have five selections at this time and it's better to draft BPA than overdraft a CB, Guard or LB.

With only 5 picks, the Chiefs don't have the luxury to draft for "depth". They need their first 3 picks (and hopefully 4th) to contribute almost immediately and it would be an absolute waste of critical resources to spend anything other than their 5th on depth.

Halfcan 04-03-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14885287)
Andy at the hotel room: "Press 1 to make a draft selection. Press 0 to order room service".

LMAO

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14885299)
Why? Because they don't have "Elite" players at every position. They'll be a good defense in 2020 and definitely good enough to win another championship, but certainly not dominant. Adding another WR and RB would almost insure that this offense remains in the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Middle rounds? The Chiefs only have five selections at this time and it's better to draft BPA than overdraft a CB, Guard or LB.

With only 5 picks, the Chiefs don't have the luxury to draft for "depth". They need their first 3 picks (and hopefully 4th) to contribute almost immediately and it would be an absolute waste of critical resources to spend anything other than their 5th on depth.

Well I'm on board with us trading down from #32, as you mentioned. I'd even be on board with trading a pick or two from next year to acquire an additional pick this year with the understanding that compensatory picks are coming our way.

I mean, I agree we shouldn't overdraft a CB, guard or LB. I just find it hard to believe that if we trade down and acquire an additional pick in the 3rd that we can't find a way to make BPA match up with at least 2 of of those positions.

And I guess I'm back to bitching about the lack of draft picks at cornerback yet again, and last year I was proven wrong about the positional group then. But at least we had bodies then. We don't even have enough warm bodies to throw at the position to field a defense right now. Rashad Fenton is the only corner we've drafted in the last 3 years, and luckily he's worked out well so far. Can you imagine ignoring the position for a 4th year in a row? Ward is also a RFA after next year as well and could be in line for a bigger contract next offseason if he finally puts it all together.

Either way, I'm fairly confident Veach will in fact draft a corner in the first 3 rounds. And I'm hoping a linebacker is in the mix as well, because that's another position we've largely ignored in the draft. It's not exactly surprising that we have positional weaknesses at CB, LB, and OL when the only player we've taken at any of those positions in the last 3 years has been Dorian O'Daniel, and he's a complete bust.

ShowtimeSBMVP 04-03-2020 02:22 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One position that some believe would be worth even more investment on offense for the Chiefs would be running back. A pairing that seems to make sense is Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins if he’s available at pick 32. He’s a player they’ve FaceTimed with. One of the draft’s top backs.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1246170338922242048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tribal Warfare 04-03-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP (Post 14885442)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One position that some believe would be worth even more investment on offense for the Chiefs would be running back. A pairing that seems to make sense is Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins if he’s available at pick 32. He’s a player they’ve FaceTimed with. One of the draft’s top backs.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1246170338922242048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The last part of the tweet will enrage AP's drooling mindless followers

Pitt Gorilla 04-03-2020 02:55 PM

The Chiefs FO is excellent at breaking down film. Given the current circumstances, that’s just about all that’s been allowed. I think we’ll do well.

Chief Northman 04-03-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14885462)

Not this guy.

Swift, Dobbins or Akers would just crush in this offense.

stumppy 04-03-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14885462)

Been wanting an upgrade at RB since the beginning of last season.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14886254)
Been wanting an upgrade at RB since the beginning of last season.

I do as well, but I don't think a 1st is necessary. I'm not familiar with the runningbacks in the draft, certainly there must be some in the 3rd round range that would be viable?

TinyEvel 04-03-2020 11:08 PM

YES! The NFL front offices finally get to experience the frustration of an online draft like I do in fantasy football every season. :thumb:

dlphg9 04-03-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14884763)
Aside from QB, BPA wouldn’t be bad at all.

WR-losing Sammy and Robinson after 2020
RB-Another weapon, Damien won’t be here more than 2 years
OT-can cut Fisher if we draft one, save $$
G-definitely could use a dominant LG
C-same ^^^
TE-Another weapon and Kelce is 30. Wouldn’t have to pay new TE until Kelce is 35.
DE-Tanoh is in contract year, Okafor can’t be kept at 2021 price and Ogbah is gone. Pass rush is key
DT-Another interior rusher next to Jones? Hell yeah. We don’t have a good interior rusher there outside of him (Speaks is unproven). Could also go entire contract before having to pay drafted player.
LB-obvious need
CB-obvious need
S-imagine a first rd safety would be able to play all over. No problem with that

I don’t like some of those positions for rd 1, but honestly it really wouldn’t bother me too much. What may not be a need now could be a need in 2 or 3 years and help benefit us cap wise.

There is no way this team is releasing Fisher and letting a rookie protect Pat's blind side. After seeing what Patrick endured after Fisher went down I don't know how anyone could think releasing him is a good idea. Fisher is a top 10-15 tackle. Hes really become a damn good LT.

dlphg9 04-03-2020 11:30 PM

Hopefully we draft a MLB with our first pick. We've not had a borderline elite - elite LB since 2015 DJ. Hell in the last 20+ years besides DJ who have we had at LB that you would consider great?

Getting an awesome LB would be awesome lol. I loved Derrick Johnson and would love to have someone with just 95% of his talent.

Rausch 04-03-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14886262)
I do as well, but I don't think a 1st is necessary. I'm not familiar with the runningbacks in the draft, certainly there must be some in the 3rd round range that would be viable?

I really like Dobbins myself.

Pitt Gorilla 04-04-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14886382)
Hopefully we draft a MLB with our first pick. We've not had a borderline elite - elite LB since 2015 DJ. Hell in the last 20+ years besides DJ who have we had at LB that you would consider great?

Getting an awesome LB would be awesome lol. I loved Derrick Johnson and would love to have someone with just 95% of his talent.

Donnie Edwards?

tk13 04-04-2020 01:05 AM

Andy Reid has a long, long 20 year track record of drafting RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and turning them into stars. If they feel there's a crazy talented one left at 32 I could see them going for it though. I can see Veach doing what the Colts used to do with Manning... they had a top 5 offense almost every year and they were never afraid to go offense. Reggie Wayne, Addai, Dallas Clark. Just keep adding pieces.

Chieftain 04-04-2020 01:15 AM

We will have plenty of cap space next year so if we draft well in this draft, I can see a dynasty for years and years to come. I truly believe that Mahomes with Veach as GM putting the pieces around him can win at least 5 Super Bowls.

BryanBusby 04-04-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14885287)

"The Kansas City Chiefs select a.. .. a #7 with extra everything and even more french fries and a diet coke?"

Couch-Potato 04-04-2020 05:35 AM

I trust Andy and Veach

duncan_idaho 04-04-2020 08:51 AM

To me, it’s all about the value. Don’t reach on someone just to fill a position of anticipated need.

This is an incredibly deep draft for WR, especially. You can get a player who would have been the top wideout in his class, potentially, with your first pick. That’s something they have to consider.

Yes, it is a luxury for 2020, but it gives them so much more flexibility for 2021 if they have another dynamic threat at WR to pair with Hill and Kelce (who will become less dynamic over time).

RB thought kind of works the same way.

CB is important in the NFL, but in this scheme it seems like DL and S are more important.

stumppy 04-04-2020 09:20 AM

FYI

ESPN2 is running all of the Peyton's Places episodes today.

OKchiefs 04-04-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e3263518 (Post 14886410)
We will have plenty of cap space next year so if we draft well in this draft, I can see a dynasty for years and years to come. I truly believe that Mahomes with Veach as GM putting the pieces around him can win at least 5 Super Bowls.

The cap space next year is a bit misleading. Mahomes and Jones could eat up a lot of space and we have quite a few important pieces that will FA and will need to be either signed or replaced.

Hoover 04-04-2020 12:29 PM

Exactly - and available cap space means that contract expire and those guys will need to be replaced. I mean look at all the one year contract we have handed out. But guys like Watkins and D Rob will need to be replaced.

Chiefshrink 04-04-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14884505)

This a million times.

I don't care how many weapons Mahomes has around him IF you can't keep him upright it doesn't matter. Mahomes makes everyone better around him and if it means taking slightly less talent at WR and RB in order to keep a steely wall in front of him I'm all for it.:thumb:

htismaqe 04-04-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 14886941)
This a million times.

I don't care how many weapons Mahomes has around him IF you can't keep him upright it doesn't matter. Mahomes makes everyone better around him and if means taking slightly less talent at WR and RB in order to keep a steely wall in front of him I'm all for it.:thumb:

I think they could use better play from the interior linemen but to suggest having an all pro line instead of receivers is counterintuitive.

The only way to truly prevent QB hits is to get the ball out of his hands. Having weapons at TE, slot WR, and RB accomplish that.

htismaqe 04-04-2020 01:04 PM

Look at the teams that have spent big money in linemen. They honestly don’t perform all that well in the playoffs because the playoffs accentuate big plays.

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 14886409)
Andy Reid has a long, long 20 year track record of drafting RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and turning them into stars.

This is actually completely false. More myth and hyperbole than fact.

While Reid definitely hit on a few guys throughout the years, his "Hit Rate" is clearly not exceptional:

2000-6 Thomas Hamner
2001-4 Correll Buckhalter
2002-2 Brian Westbrook
2004-7 Bruce Perry
2005-3 Ryan Moats
2007-3 Tony Hunt
2009-2 LeSean McCoy
2010-6 Charles Scott
2011-5 Dion Lewis
2013-3 Knile Davis
2014-4 D'Anthony Thomas
2017-3 Kareem Hunt
2019-6 Darwin Thompson

Westbrook, McCoy and Hunt (before the incident) are his best selections by a long shot. But during that time, the Chiefs hit on Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles, two players that were clearly in the upper echelon of NFL running backs despite spending the majority of their careers on very bad football teams.

This isn't an indictment of Reid but does prove that he's always searching for quality running backs, even if he has a better-than-average starter.

Again, this isn't an indictment of Reid but he's not a "RB Guru" of any sorts.

oldman 04-04-2020 02:22 PM

I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14887120)
I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.

And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-04-2020 02:47 PM

Chiefs need 4.75 mil for draft picks. Currently they have around 3.7 mil and that doesnt include Seals, Sherman or Drob

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14887163)
Chiefs need 4.75 mil for draft picks. Currently they have around 3.7 mil and that doesnt include Seals, Sherman or Drob

Those last three players will be on Vet Minimum and only the Top 51 players count towards the cap.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-04-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14887200)
Those last three players will be on Vet Minimum and only the Top 51 players count towards the cap.

The 3.7 mil that they have available takes into account only the top 51. This is according to Spotrac

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14887202)
The 3.7 mil that they have available takes into account only the top 51. This is according to Spotrac

Yeah, that's how it works.

Any player added to the roster at Vet Minimum or less won't carry a cap charge because the Top 51 already count fully towards the cap until the start of the regular season.

Easy 6 04-04-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14886958)
I think they could use better play from the interior linemen but to suggest having an all pro line instead of receivers is counterintuitive.

The only way to truly prevent QB hits is to get the ball out of his hands. Having weapons at TE, slot WR, and RB accomplish that.

You’re overstating the position of many by saying we want an all pro line, but is it too much to ask to not have an interior trio made up of 5th-7th rounders?

Personally, I think round 3 is the sweet spot for a guard or center... that’s all I ask

If Veach wants to go offense in round one with someone like Brandon Aiyuk, to prepare for Watkins inevitable departure next season... I’d be all about it, but one lineman in the top 3 surely isn’t asking too much

OKchiefs 04-04-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14887279)
You’re overstating the position of many by saying we want an all pro line, but is it too much to ask to not have an interior trio made up of 5th-7th rounders?

Personally, I think round 3 is the sweet spot for a guard or center... that’s all I ask

If Veach wants to go offense in round one with someone like Brandon Aiyuk, to prepare for Watkins inevitable departure next season... I’d be all about it, but one lineman in the top 3 surely isn’t asking too much

Hardman should be the replacement for Watkins. Next year we can draft a receiver or add someone in free agency.

O.city 04-04-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14887154)
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.

I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.

DrRyan 04-04-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14887154)

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft

That will definitely, single handedly remedy the pass rush up the middle. Got it.

No one, or very few, are suggesting reaching for a position group. This draft is so much deeper at WR and RB than LB, IOL and CB. Get value, don't reach but definitely don't punt on drafting IOL at some point this draft.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-04-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14887294)
Hardman should be the replacement for Watkins. Next year we can draft a receiver or add someone in free agency.

You draft a reciever this year. Deepest Reciever draft in history

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14887324)
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.

If Taylor, Dobbins or Swift are all sitting at #32 overall, I'd expect Veach to take one at #32 or trade back and take one at #40 or whatever.

I posted Reid's RB draft history earlier in this thread which shows that Reid routinely took running backs in the third round and a few in the second. With Damien Williams injury history and the other maybe *average* RB on the roster, I'd say it's a good bet they'll take a RB in the first three rounds.

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 14887333)
That will definitely, single handedly remedy the pass rush up the middle. Got it.

I thoroughly disagree with your "take".

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with a rotating offensive line from Left Tackle to Right Guard, yet so many of you people think the Chiefs need to spend high draft capital on a center or guard.

That's just dumb.

Coogs 04-04-2020 04:38 PM

Shoot, it says right there in the last sentence of the first quote in the OP that many sources around the NFL expect the Chiefs to draft a RB who is of starter quality.