ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek Picard (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315883)

Frazod 06-20-2018 11:27 AM

Star Trek Picard

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

http://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/de...?itok=OZfXKk7H

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.

Baby Lee 06-20-2018 11:35 AM

Too late, I've already seen everything.

KC_Lee 06-20-2018 11:54 AM

Loved Patrick Stewart and Capt. Picard back in the day. That being said, I can't take any character he does seriously since he's been playing Dept. Director Bullock on "American Dad".

BigRedChief 06-20-2018 11:55 AM

Patrick Stewart is a helluva actor. I’m sure he has all the money he ever needs already. The residual checks from next generation still would be substantial. If he comes back, it has to be some quality work to attract him.

noa 06-20-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13599992)
Too late, I've already seen everything.

Are you havin a laugh?

JD10367 06-20-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13599977)
While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the clickbait sentence "(he) is not known for critical success". Kurtzman is the executive producer of some very solid TV shows ("Hawaii Five-O", "Scorpion", "ST: Discovery", "Sleepy Hollow", "Limitless") and had a hand in "Fringe" and "Alias". The first "Transformers" wasn't bad, and he also had a hand in other stuff like "Mission Impossible 3".

Hammock Parties 06-20-2018 08:17 PM

This won't be a reboot. Sounds like a sequel. Admiral Picard, perhaps.

I will watch that shit.

And put Worf in, because he's still in great shape.

Fish 06-20-2018 08:45 PM

I expect the absolute worst. Kurtzman is pretty awful. Surprised Patrick would agree to that. But I'll still probably watch it.

Baby Lee 06-20-2018 08:47 PM

I miss Blunt Talk. For that matter, I miss Jonathan Ames having a series on air.

alpha_omega 06-20-2018 09:25 PM

No thanks. Let a good thing be.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-20-2018 11:41 PM

This could lead to finally getting the Captain Worf series. Would be great to get to see Chief Engineer Nog.

Hammock Parties 06-21-2018 04:49 AM

I actually think Wil Wheaton has matured enough to the point where bringing back Wesley wouldn't be a bad idea.

BigRedChief 06-21-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13600733)
I actually think Wil Wheaton has matured enough to the point where bringing back Wesley wouldn't be a bad idea.

Everything I've seen says no way. He still has the acting ability of a teenager.
As part of some kind of ensemble, sure.

Rausch 06-21-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

He's only half sane at this point...

lawrenceRaider 06-21-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

That's asking for a total disaster.

Frankly The Orville ticks off all the boxes for me. I don't need a Star Trek show. Tried watching an episode of Discovery on Netflix while in Europe, and it just wasn't good enough to even make an effort to see any more.

Frazod 06-21-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13600802)
That's asking for a total disaster.

Frankly The Orville ticks off all the boxes for me. I don't need a Star Trek show. Tried watching an episode of Discovery on Netflix while in Europe, and it just wasn't good enough to even make an effort to see any more.

I was primed to hate Discovery. Indeed, the first couple of episodes were fairly lame. I couldn't stand what they did to the Klingons. But slowly, much like a parasitic infection, it grew on me. By the end I really enjoyed it.

Beef Supreme 06-21-2018 09:27 AM

Make it so.

Actually I don't care either way. That line just seemed appropriate.

Hammock Parties 07-13-2018 02:10 PM

https://i.imgur.com/TqJC0J9.jpg

lawrenceRaider 07-13-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13600865)
I was primed to hate Discovery. Indeed, the first couple of episodes were fairly lame. I couldn't stand what they did to the Klingons. But slowly, much like a parasitic infection, it grew on me. By the end I really enjoyed it.

Perhaps I'll have to give it another try.

Frazod 07-13-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13627158)
Perhaps I'll have to give it another try.

It's not easy. My best friend was visiting over the weekend and I talked him into giving it a shot. He watched the first episode and no interest in watching further, despite my assurances that it gets better. I hadn't watched the first episode since last fall, and frankly had forgotten how bad it was, so I really couldn't blame him.

Valiant 07-13-2018 02:54 PM

Maybe have him be a villainess Picard. If it is in the discovery reality, go all out and have him be evil captain. Warring on all other ships.

Though, I do think we need to get back to a Star trek of morals, diplomacy and kindness like Mr. Rodgers. Might help raise some nicer people.

Frazod 07-13-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13627170)
It's not easy. My best friend was visiting over the weekend and I talked him into giving it a shot. He watched the first episode and no interest in watching further, despite my assurances that it gets better. I hadn't watched the first episode since last fall, and frankly had forgotten how bad it was, so I really couldn't blame him.

I should add that I also showed him the final two part episode of the fan-made Star Trek Continues, and he loved that. If you haven't seen any of those, you should give them a look.

Hammock Parties 07-13-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13627223)
Maybe have him be a villainess Picard.

he's having a sex change? ROFL

Valiant 07-14-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13627247)
he's having a sex change? ROFL

Damn phone, villainous.

Bowser 07-14-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13627142)

Man, good for him. He's lived a life (and is still living a life) most of us would kill for and seems to be a genuinely great guy. I'll add him to the list of people I want to be in my next life (lives).

Molitoth 07-14-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13627142)

Damn, I hope to look that good at 78... errr umm, 48.

RealSNR 07-14-2018 02:27 PM

Somebody had told me that there's some weird legal thing over ownership of Star Trek property. Something like CBS and Paramount have the intellectual property rights over the names, universe, and the brand, but Viacom still owns the rights to various props, designs, and costumes?

So I guess what it means is that the old makeup and costume designs for the Klingons from the TNG era can not be reproduced in new Star Trek content? That's why the Klingons in Discovery are absolute abortions? And so I think that would also mean they'd have to likewise **** up any Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Andorians, and all the other alien races?

I could have that totally wrong. Maybe I just misunderstood it, or maybe my source was just making shit up. But if it is true, how the hell are they going to expand the TNG universe, which is crucially dependent on those particular alien races?

RealSNR 07-14-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13600701)
This could lead to finally getting the Captain Worf series. Would be great to get to see Chief Engineer Nog.

Paramount declined Dorn's Captain Worf series and instead came up with another goddamn prequel nobody wanted with absolutely zero care for fan service. No, you can't just make the series 100% fan service, but you have to throw a LITTLE bit in there. A guest appearance by one of the actors, perhaps. Kind of like Richard Hatch's appearance as Tom Zarek in the new Battlestar Galactica. There was absolutely none of that shit to be found in Discovery, and that's not working out too well for them, among the other issues the show has.

Getting Dorn back, un****ing the Klingons, and getting a few more oldie favorite actors to come back and be recurring characters would go a long way. There are a bunch of those Star Trek actors from all of the post-TOS shows who are not doing anything important right now. Levar Burton. Nana Visitor. Armin Shimerman. Kate Mulgrew.

****, get Jeffrey Combs back and have him do his usual juggling of like 3 or 4 different alien characters at once.

Yeah, you can't just make the new show all about the old actors and characters, but you can throw them out every once in awhile. TNG had plenty of original series callbacks (at least one per season, I'd say) and that's with the setting taking place at least 100 years after Kirk's Trek.

BigRedChief 07-14-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13628308)
Damn, I hope to look that good at 78... errr umm, 48.

78?48? He looks damn good for 28!

Jamie 07-14-2018 07:29 PM

What I'd like to see is a limited series bringing the TNG crew back together. What I think it will be is Picard as superintendent of Starfleet Academy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13628348)
Somebody had told me that there's some weird legal thing over ownership of Star Trek property. Something like CBS and Paramount have the intellectual property rights over the names, universe, and the brand, but Viacom still owns the rights to various props, designs, and costumes?

So I guess what it means is that the old makeup and costume designs for the Klingons from the TNG era can not be reproduced in new Star Trek content? That's why the Klingons in Discovery are absolute abortions? And so I think that would also mean they'd have to likewise **** up any Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Andorians, and all the other alien races?

I could have that totally wrong. Maybe I just misunderstood it, or maybe my source was just making shit up. But if it is true, how the hell are they going to expand the TNG universe, which is crucially dependent on those particular alien races?

It seems like there is something weird about the Star Trek rights, but nobody knows what the terms are. There's no third party though, Viacom owns Paramount, so it's just CBS vs Paramount.

There was a thing that came out that the Enterprise in Discovery had to be at least 25% different from the original for legal reasons, so maybe if it's too similar you have to get approval from the other company? It's weird, because CBS owns the trademarks and controls merchandising, so the rights aren't really split down the middle at all. Maybe the 25% thing was just something they said to get the nerds off their back. After all, they didn't have to change the Vulcan makeup.

BigRedChief 07-16-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 13628644)
What I'd like to see is a limited series bringing the TNG crew back together. What I think it will be is Picard as superintendent of Starfleet Academy.

It seems like there is something weird about the Star Trek rights, but nobody knows what the terms are. There's no third party though, Viacom owns Paramount, so it's just CBS vs Paramount.

There was a thing that came out that the Enterprise in Discovery had to be at least 25% different from the original for legal reasons, so maybe if it's too similar you have to get approval from the other company? It's weird, because CBS owns the trademarks and controls merchandising, so the rights aren't really split down the middle at all. Maybe the 25% thing was just something they said to get the nerds off their back. After all, they didn't have to change the Vulcan makeup.

so it was legal reasons that they ****ed up the look of Klingons?

Jamie 07-17-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13631461)
so it was legal reasons that they ****ed up the look of Klingons?

Maybe? I'd lean toward 'no' since they didn't have to change the Vulcans, but maybe it's different because the classic Klingon makeup first appeared in TMP.

loochy 07-17-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13628355)

****, get Jeffrey Combs back and have him do his usual juggling of like 3 or 4 different alien characters at once.

He could be Weyoun #524.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mephistopheles Janx 07-18-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13632517)
He could be Weyoun #524.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Vorta cloning facility in the Alpha Quadrant was destroyed. The female Changeling made lamented to Garak, after he had killed the final Weyoun, "I wish you hadn't done that. That was Weyoun's last clone."

But Combs would most definitely play some race of Alien. Perhaps we will finally find out what the Breen look like.

BigRedChief 08-04-2018 03:50 PM

Looks like it’s officially official. From Paramounts Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/10730595427...6133001438512/

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13633454)
The Vorta cloning facility in the Alpha Quadrant was destroyed. The female Changeling made lamented to Garak, after he had killed the final Weyoun, "I wish you hadn't done that. That was Weyoun's last clone."

But Combs would most definitely play some race of Alien. Perhaps we will finally find out what the Breen look like.

Non-canon novel sez that the Breen are actually four races as a retcon to all the conflicting shit about the Confederacy that popped up throughout the canon.

Hammock Parties 08-04-2018 07:50 PM

This is going to be ****ing awesome. So many places they can take this. So many ways to flesh out the character and make him deeper.

I hope we get Worf on the show, too.

The rest of the cast is almost completely melted.

Mephistopheles Janx 08-04-2018 10:56 PM

I wonder, then, if the animated series is going to be based on the Star Trek countdown graphic novel. This would allow Brent Spiner to return despite his having aged out of, physically, playing a near immortal android on screen.

Bowser 08-04-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 13659841)
I wonder, then, if the animated series is going to be based on the Star Trek countdown graphic novel. This would allow Brent Spiner to return despite his having aged out of, physically, playing a near immortal android on screen.

Is that the story of Captain Data going after Nero?

Simply Red 08-04-2018 11:12 PM

just watched him in Green Room last night - fun!

Mephistopheles Janx 08-04-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13659847)
Is that the story of Captain Data going after Nero?

Data/B-4... yup.

RealSNR 08-05-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13659635)
This is going to be ****ing awesome. So many places they can take this. So many ways to flesh out the character and make him deeper.

I hope we get Worf on the show, too.

The rest of the cast is almost completely melted.

I know Frakes gave up acting long ago, but he NEEDS to make at least a brief appearance as Captain Riker of the USS Titan.

If humankind was able to doll up a coked-out senior citizen Carrie Fisher for two goddamn Star Wars movies, they can get Frakes to sit in a goddamn chair and talk to people on a ****ing viewscreen.

Hammock Parties 08-05-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13661030)
I know Frakes gave up acting long ago, but he NEEDS to make at least a brief appearance as Captain Riker of the USS Titan.

If humankind was able to doll up a coked-out senior citizen Carrie Fisher for two goddamn Star Wars movies, they can get Frakes to sit in a goddamn chair and talk to people on a ****ing viewscreen.

The guy has morphed into Orson Welles. I'm not sure you can rehabilitate this.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/MP76EG/bon...ews-MP76EG.jpg

Now, Levar Burton on the other hand...

https://gazettereview.com/wp-content...3980092750.jpg

Jamie 09-12-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 13628644)

So I think I understand this now. Old Viacom owned Star Trek. Old Viacom merged with Old CBS to form New CBS. Eventually New CBS spun New Viacom off from itself, but it'a a new company and doesn't include all the pieces Old Viacom brought into the merger. New Viacom gets Paramount, but ownership of Star Trek stays with CBS. Paramount does get the right to continue distributing the ten movies.

Eventually Paramount wants to make new Star Trek movies so they license it from CBS. For some stupid reason this licensing deal includes a provision that what they make has to be 25% different. Then CBS decides they want to have Star Trek TV shows. But instead of producing it themselves, they go back to Paramount to do it for them, under the terms of the original licensing deal. So even though it's for CBS, who own Star Trek, it's produced by Paramount, who have to abide by this reeruned 25% deal.

RealSNR 09-12-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 13726947)
So I think I understand this now. Old Viacom owned Star Trek. Old Viacom merged with Old CBS to form New CBS. Eventually New CBS spun New Viacom off from itself, but it'a a new company and doesn't include all the pieces Old Viacom brought into the merger. New Viacom gets Paramount, but ownership of Star Trek stays with CBS. Paramount does get the right to continue distributing the ten movies.

Eventually Paramount wants to make new Star Trek movies so they license it from CBS. For some stupid reason this licensing deal includes a provision that what they make has to be 25% different. Then CBS decides they want to have Star Trek TV shows. But instead of producing it themselves, they go back to Paramount to do it for them, under the terms of the original licensing deal. So even though it's for CBS, who own Star Trek, it's produced by Paramount, who have to abide by this reeruned 25% deal.

Great, so we can expect the same out of the new Picard show.

That pretty much means Michael Dorn ain't making any guest appearances. You can't give him the Discovery treatment and still maintain that he's the same Klingon.

RealSNR 09-12-2018 05:30 PM

Clay, since you brought up Levar Burton as the #1 guy who should make a guest appearance, what do you think of this show idea/premise that I posted in the other thread?

The pitch starts at about 2:20

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xe1hKZjCVyM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jamie 09-12-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13727619)
Great, so we can expect the same out of the new Picard show.

That pretty much means Michael Dorn ain't making any guest appearances. You can't give him the Discovery treatment and still maintain that he's the same Klingon.

Yeah. The only hope is, with Les Moonves out at CBS, it looks increasingly likely CBS and Viacom will merge again at some point. Of course it'd A) have to happen before they get too far into development, and B) the people in charge of Star Trek would have to give a shit about respecting canon.

Predarat 09-13-2018 11:56 AM

If this is the one Tarantino is involved with maybe it will have a darker theme similar to the Yesterday's Enterprise episode.

RealSNR 09-13-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 13728607)
If this is the one Tarantino is involved with maybe it will have a darker theme similar to the Yesterday's Enterprise episode.

He's supposedly doing a movie.

This is a TV series. Well... web series.

Simply Red 09-13-2018 02:59 PM

SNR have you ever seen the movie Captain Ron w/ Kurt Russel? Please give me your review.

Hammock Parties 10-29-2018 05:10 PM

lol

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...05&oe=5C4DDA69

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...9a&oe=5C83A6D0

JD10367 10-31-2018 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13854154)

Nice capture of Marina Sirtis. When she was younger, I had many a fantasy of her with that face...

Discuss Thrower 10-31-2018 12:55 PM

According to the redditor that was the source of that pic, Stewart wasn't face palming out of shame but happy surprise that the man pulled off the proposal.

Bowser 10-31-2018 04:29 PM

LeVar and Brent are all "**** this dumb shit". LMAO

Fish 10-31-2018 04:30 PM

Who are the couple proposing?

Bowser 10-31-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13860232)
Who are the couple proposing?

And why is the girl sitting on Gates McFadden's lap?

Hammock Parties 05-16-2019 08:10 PM

PICAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

https://i.imgur.com/2z1IS7m.jpg

Discuss Thrower 05-16-2019 09:01 PM

DS9 / Voyager uniforms... with the "All Good Things" combadges.

Ooooooooooookay

Hammock Parties 05-16-2019 09:14 PM

**** you

that shit is awesome

Jamie 05-17-2019 10:27 AM

Even if I prefer the grey top uniforms it's actually really encouraging to see something that familiar.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14272191)
**** you

that shit is awesome

**** you and eat shit Gifhorse. The early DS9 / Voyager uniforms are slightly better than the Discovery uniforms. And that's not saying much.

Also it doesn't jive with the consistency of costuming as per show 'canon.'

Bowser 05-17-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14272112)

"What? Where am I? Why am I here?

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!'

crayzkirk 05-19-2019 06:29 AM

Like Star Wars, it's time has come and gone. Let it die...

RealSNR 05-19-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 14275233)

It could be good. It could tell new stories. If you had the right people with the right intentions doing the job.

Star Wars is ****ed from the beginning. They've already told all the stories they can possibly tell, or at least flesh things out in a way that can't be predicted.

You got a light side. You got a dark side. You got a rebellion. You've got an empire. Both of them clash.

Whatever betrayals or conversions or shit beyond that is just storytelling that could be predicted by using a storyboard matrix. There are only so many possibilities.

That's why Star Wars needs to die. Trek can and should keep going, but they keep ****ing it up.

Discuss Thrower 05-19-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 14275233)

Discovery is legit if you don't dwell too much on some of the more hamfisted meta-commentary they interject into the show.

Frazod 05-19-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14275666)
Discovery is legit if you don't dwell too much on some of the more hamfisted meta-commentary they interject into the show.

A few days ago a fan "insider" video popped up on my YouTube claiming that Discovery may actually be dead despite the earlier renewal, because Netflix withdrew funding for it and CBS basically isn't willing to finance both it and Picard. Also, Picard won't have much of a budget, so don't expect to see any other familiar characters from NG since they can't afford to bring them onboard. I have no idea if it's legit or not, and couldn't find the video again. It's out there somewhere if you care enough to look for it.

As I've stated elsewhere, IMO the best part of Discovery was Pike, Spock and the Enterprise, and now that they're gone I really don't give a crap if it continues or not.

Still wish the CBS pricks would pull their heads out of their asses and give us a Pike-based Star Trek on regular TV, or sell the rights to somebody who's not going to keep ****ing it up, but neither is going to happen.

Discuss Thrower 05-19-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14275836)
A few days ago a fan "insider" video popped up on my YouTube claiming that Discovery may actually be dead despite the earlier renewal, because Netflix withdrew funding for it and CBS basically isn't willing to finance both it and Picard. Also, Picard won't have much of a budget, so don't expect to see any other familiar characters from NG since they can't afford to bring them onboard. I have no idea if it's legit or not, and couldn't find the video again. It's out there somewhere if you care enough to look for it.

As I've stated elsewhere, IMO the best part of Discovery was Pike, Spock and the Enterprise, and now that they're gone I really don't give a crap if it continues or not.

Still wish the CBS pricks would pull their heads out of their asses and give us a Pike-based Star Trek on regular TV, or sell the rights to somebody who's not going to keep ****ing it up, but neither is going to happen.

Win me a lottery jackpot and I'll buy the rights and run shit my way. You'll love it.

bowener 05-22-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14276064)
Win me a lottery jackpot and I'll buy the rights and run shit my way. You'll love it.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe Star Trek as a franchise was worth $4 billion 10 years ago...

Discuss Thrower 05-22-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14278969)
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe Star Trek as a franchise was worth $4 billion 10 years ago...

Doesn't cost $4Bn to produce a pilot.

keg in kc 05-23-2019 11:41 AM

Contemplated starting a new thread since we know the title, but this one is still front page...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f3om4V_-Y0Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 05-23-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14280625)
Contemplated starting a new thread since we know the title, but this one is still front page...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f3om4V_-Y0Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I changed it.

Never mind. I tried unsuccessfully to change it. If a mod would please change the thread title to "Star Trek Picard" I'd appreciate it.

Mennonite 05-23-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14275836)

I have a hard time believing that the new show will have a budget so low that they can't afford Gates McFadden and the guy who played Howling Mad Murdock on the A Team.

keg in kc 05-23-2019 04:20 PM

Shit, Marina Sirtis did a one-off on the Orville last season and didn't even get special guest star billing. Not sure anybody even realized it was her. Can't cost that much.

RealSNR 05-23-2019 08:06 PM

Captain... I sense bullshit...

Frazod 05-23-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14281015)
Shit, Marina Sirtis did a one-off on the Orville last season and didn't even get special guest star billing. Not sure anybody even realized it was her. Can't cost that much.

They're still supposedly all besties. Seems like they could probably get them as guest stars on the cheap as a favor to him. Also, new appearances would probably increase conventions sales for their stuff.

Deberg_1990 05-23-2019 08:33 PM

Is this set on Earth or in space?

Hammock Parties 05-23-2019 08:46 PM

there are TWO LIGHTS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7RPPJ7XkAI6S6B.jpg

Bowser 05-23-2019 11:30 PM

Admiral

"You led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history"

I'm in. I was always in for this, really, but I'm legit curious to hear about Picard's story post TNG.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-24-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14281575)
Admiral

"You led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history"

I'm in. I was always in for this, really, but I'm legit curious to hear about Picard's story post TNG.

I got misty just with that tiny bit of clip. I'm 100% down for this show.

Imon Yourside 05-25-2019 04:46 AM

One of the few shows I would watch, bring back Picard!