ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV DC Birds of Prey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329034)

Sure-Oz 02-05-2020 01:07 PM

DC Birds of Prey

https://youtu.be/x3HbbzHK5Mc

Didn't see a thread but comes out Friday.
So far a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes w/ 58 reviews. Very surprised.

Sorry 02-05-2020 01:31 PM

I honestly thought it was gonnna be trash so I’m surprised as well

Buehler445 02-05-2020 03:49 PM

Eh. I'll wait until video, but Robbie is hot AF, so I'll for sure catch it sometime.

Sure-Oz 02-06-2020 10:15 AM

Hangin strong at 88% on 102 reviews

lawrenceRaider 02-06-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14779838)
Eh. I'll wait until video, but Robbie is hot AF, so I'll for sure catch it sometime.

I'll watch Robbie do just about anything. So fine.

JD10367 02-07-2020 11:51 AM

Just saw it. Much better than expected. Think “grrl power” crossed with “Scott Pilgrim” editing and a bit of “Deadpool” (MUCH more violence and f-bombs than I expected). Robbie and Winstead are still hot for their ages, the chick playing Black Canary is a smokeshow in tight pants, and the ladies all fight well. Easily the best thing DC has done yet IMO.

Baby Lee 02-07-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14779838)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14781544)
I'll watch Robbie do just about anything. So fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14783595)
Just saw it. Much better than expected. Think “grrl power” crossed with “Scott Pilgrim” editing and a bit of “Deadpool” (MUCH more violence and f-bombs than I expected). Robbie and Winstead are still hot for their ages, the chick playing Black Canary is a smokeshow in tight pants, and the ladies all fight well. Easily the best thing DC has done yet IMO.

Speaking of SP-v-tW Robbie is alpha hot, but I saw in a couple of stills that MEW can still straight GET IT!!

And, not for nothing but a bit of trivia, that 'chick playing Black Canary' is the sister of famed French icon Juicy Schmulliyay.

Also, seems like appropriate placement instead of a new thread

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JeUFrZtKkn8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz 02-07-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14783595)

Hoping to see it Sunday. I've had a few friends put it ahead of WW.

JD10367 02-08-2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14784689)
Hoping to see it Sunday. I've had a few friends put it ahead of WW.

“WW” was very well done but, like “CA: TFA”, it’s a much slower film than this.

Forgot to mention the excellent villain who I didn’t even recognize was Ewan MacGregor.

Sure-Oz 02-08-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14785018)
“WW” was very well done but, like “CA: TFA”, it’s a much slower film than this.

Forgot to mention the excellent villain who I didn’t even recognize was Ewan MacGregor.

Gotcha....ya I'm looking forward to this esp with McGregor.

BigBeauford 02-08-2020 10:11 AM

Semi bombing with a 33M projected weekend.

Tribal Warfare 02-08-2020 12:48 PM

Margot Robbie was excellent, but the movie was boring as ****

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14785546)
Margot Robbie was excellent, but the movie was boring as ****

This is to be expected when WB hands the reigns of a DC film to someone whose only experience is a few short films. This character wasn't going to connect with a enough people to turn it into a blockbuster and choosing someone that was previously a journalist, whose resume boasts a total of three short films, is career suicide (no pun intended) for the exec that greenlit this mess.

Warner Brothers is clueless when it comes to their DC characters, although I am curious to see how Suicide Squad shakes out because supposedly, what James Gunn has done with the script is a real trip.

Baby Lee 02-08-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14785308)
Semi bombing with a 33M projected weekend.

Misogyny

Hamwallet 02-08-2020 08:37 PM

Saw it tonight at a dinner theater. Pretty good flick!

JD10367 02-08-2020 10:21 PM

It’s a pretty decent flick that’s going to suffer because of:

A) no big name stars
B) no big name characters
C) an all female cast
D) “Suicide Squad” backlash (a la “Solo” after “TFA”/“TLJ”)

Hamwallet 02-09-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14786359)

A) no big name stars
C) an all female cast

Ewan McGregor is the bad guy. He is a big name.

comochiefsfan 02-09-2020 12:33 AM

Saw it tonight.

Meh...

Good acting, pretty bad script.

5/10

unlurking 02-09-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamwallet (Post 14786427)
Ewan McGregor is the bad guy. He is a big name.

Did they advertise him? I saw a couple commercials, but until this thread had no idea he was in this.

listopencil 02-10-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14786441)
Saw it tonight.

Meh...

Good acting, pretty bad script.

5/10

I had the same reaction. Also, I was disappointed in the fight scenes. Some of it was cool but they had plenty of that 'watch this 90 pound girl beat the shit out of this 250 pound muscleman because grrrlpower' junk.

Just Passin' By 02-10-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 14787214)
Did they advertise him? I saw a couple commercials, but until this thread had no idea he was in this.

He was actually talking too much.

Quote:

What interested me with Birds of Prey is that it's a feminist film. It is very finely written. There is in the script a real look on misogyny, and I think we need that. We need to be more aware of how we behave with the opposite sex. We need to be taught to change.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...-feminist-film

Quote:

“Brilliant. It’s about time that we’ve got this female made, female driven, superhero movie. It’s a really powerful film. It was just exciting to be part of. A film that covers some of the misogynist nonsense that you ladies have to deal with on a daily basis.”
https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/...birds-of-prey/

Trying to save shitty movies by pissing off half your audience continues to be tried, but it's not usually a smart move.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-11-2020 09:53 AM

Pure shit

Just Passin' By 02-11-2020 01:14 PM

And, now, they're changing the movie's title in the middle of its run.

Quote:

Birds of Prey Changes Title At Movie Theaters

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is changing its name to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on all theater chain sites after a struggle to fly at the box office in its opening weekend...
https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/02/10/...-harley-quinn/

Beef Supreme 02-11-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14790438)

They shoulda called it "Wait for Netflix" because that's what everyone immediately thought when they heard about it.

listopencil 02-11-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14786359)

A) no big name stars
C) an all female cast

It's suffering because...

It couldn't maintain the quirky/cutesy energy and incorporate it properly into the story

The fight scenes were uneven and did not take full advantage of Robbie's considerable physical talents

Mood and style was not balanced with enough plot and character development

The group was introduced and brought together clumsily

The narration by Harley Quinn was overdone and it was cheaply used to patch over weaknesses in storytelling

burt 02-11-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14791231)
It's suffering because...

It couldn't maintain the quirky/cutesy energy and incorporate it properly into the story

The fight scenes were uneven and did not take full advantage of Robbie's considerable physical talents

Mood and style was not balanced with enough plot and character development

The group was introduced and brought together clumsily

The narration by Harley Quinn was overdone and it was cheaply used to patch over weaknesses in storytelling

But other than that....a good flick?

BWillie 02-11-2020 09:12 PM

All I know is Margot Robbie is the hottest woman on the planet now that Olivia Wilde is my age.

Sure-Oz 02-11-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14790438)

Think that was to shorten the name to make it easier to order Tix online. The actual movie title hasn't changed

Beef Supreme 02-12-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14791410)
All I know is Margot Robbie is the hottest woman on the planet now that Olivia Wilde is my age.

When was she not your age?

BWillie 02-12-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14792110)

Ha. Good point. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't like when chicks get old as much as when they are 21-29.

listopencil 02-12-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 14791265)
But other than that....a good flick?

Go watch Sucker Punch instead.

Buehler445 02-13-2020 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14793231)
Go watch Sucker Punch instead.

I recently watched that for the first time recently.

That was something. There was criminally little character development. But goddamn at the end of it I gave a shit about all of them.

I’m not sure what they were getting at with the ending but it was a good film in which I fully expected to hate it.

listopencil 02-13-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14793415)
I recently watched that for the first time recently.

That was something. There was criminally little character development. But goddamn at the end of it I gave a shit about all of them.

I’m not sure what they were getting at with the ending but it was a good film in which I fully expected to hate it.

I was being a smart ass but I really, really enjoyed that movie. I thought it was a fun idea to have simultaneous storylines going on, and I thought it was a cool way to show a broken mind dealing with trauma through escapism, and I thought all of the actors did a solid job of selling their characters. The over-the-top fantasy sequences were a blast, visually. Other than that I'm also a fan of movies that don't spoon feed stuff to the audience. I think you have to draw your own conclusions about the ending. I think it's up to you to interpret the art for yourself.

Buehler445 02-13-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14793502)
I was being a smart ass but I really, really enjoyed that movie. I thought it was a fun idea to have simultaneous storylines going on, and I thought it was a cool way to show a broken mind dealing with trauma through escapism, and I thought all of the actors did a solid job of selling their characters. The over-the-top fantasy sequences were a blast, visually. Other than that I'm also a fan of movies that don't spoon feed stuff to the audience. I think you have to draw your own conclusions about the ending. I think it's up to you to interpret the art for yourself.

That's fair. I think I know what it was getting at - I'll put my thoughts in the spoiler - but yeah, I turned it on for some background noise and became really involved in it. I thought it was well done. And like I said, I expected to hate it.

Spoiler!

SAGA45 02-17-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14791410)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14792110)

ROFLROFLROFL. ...

BigRedChief 02-21-2020 07:34 AM

It was a good popcorn movie. Robbie is legitimately one of the hottest women currently working in movies.

Fish 03-25-2020 09:52 AM

Finally watched this now that it's out on video. What a turd. Felt like an extended Black Mirror episode in some ways. Irrational and dumb. Robbie did OK, but not much help from the others. The Huntress was so awkward and terrible. Every time she opened her mouth it was just cringy. The plot was a complete mess. The bad guy was a goofball and never really felt intimidating regardless of what he did. Completely forgettable.

Bowser 05-05-2020 06:07 PM

So yeah hey......the new Harley Quinn cartoon on SyFy isn't exactly a call back to the old Saturday morning Superfriends, now is it? Haha, shiiiiiit…..

listopencil 05-05-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14954816)
So yeah hey......the new Harley Quinn cartoon on SyFy isn't exactly a call back to the old Saturday morning Superfriends, now is it? Haha, shiiiiiit…..

Haven't seen it. I only gave the movie a chance because I liked Margot Robbie in the role.

unlurking 05-06-2020 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14955068)
Haven't seen it. I only gave the movie a chance because I liked Margot Robbie in the role.

Same for the movie. The cartoon is voiced by Kaley Cuoco. Pretty good list of voice actors for the show. Definitely not a kids show.

JD10367 05-08-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14954816)

"Oh, cool. Stylistically this looks like the Batman and Superman stuff they were doing in the 90s. Lemme check this out."

::: two minutes in :::

"Holy shit, this stuff is full of swearing and violence... Cool!"

listopencil 05-09-2020 12:39 AM

I'll give it a shot although Cuoco annoys me.

listopencil 05-09-2020 12:45 AM

Couldn't make it through the first episode.

Bowser 05-09-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14961306)
Couldn't make it through the first episode.

It's just.....off.

I like seeing new stories for the characters, but the infusion of adult themes and language with the type of humor they're using needs work.

listopencil 05-09-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14961743)
It's just.....off.

I like seeing new stories for the characters, but the infusion of adult themes and language with the type of humor they're using needs work.

Yeah. It was pretty bad. In the five minutes or so I could stand they have the characters acting like High School kids and the dialogue/story geared towards Junior High School kids. And then they throw in an occasional '****' or a severed limb/head...for edginess I guess. It's a mess.