ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Danny Carey > Neil Peart. Fight Me... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=331964)

Fish 06-20-2020 12:38 AM

Danny Carey > Neil Peart. Fight Me...

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FssULNGSZIA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 06-20-2020 12:41 AM

<iframe width="1280" height="800" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zEner2pmY08" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bump 06-20-2020 01:02 AM

can't argue there.

His performance in Lateralus is ****ing awesome too. Carey and John Bonham are easily my 2 favorite drummers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Yz09lNrf7Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 06-20-2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 15028601)
can't argue there.

His performance in Lateralus is ****ing awesome too. Carey and John Bonham are easily my 2 favorite drummers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Yz09lNrf7Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy shit, that finish... I saw this same set at Sprint Center about 3-4 years ago.

lawrenceRaider 06-20-2020 06:05 AM

I prefer this guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jBKZP2iHSec" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave 06-20-2020 06:38 AM

Is there a way to attend a Tool concert without seeing a bunch of douchebags?

lawrenceRaider 06-20-2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15028684)
Is there a way to attend a Tool concert without seeing a bunch of douchebags?

Time travel?

Stryker 06-20-2020 10:37 AM

I'll be your Huckleberry...

Either you like Tool or you don't, either you like Rush or you don't but to say Danny is 10X better than Neil is foolish. Tool and Rush are two completely different bands. I have seen Rush 3 times 2112, Moving Pictures and Snakes & Arrows I have never seen Tool live but know their music. I offer you this...

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T9-bh9kmpWk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6XPrNGpzeGI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jXBp9xydfw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NJPAjiSX7Rk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WJoTxywiRG0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JAoSknxwd-k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e66jujuYkho" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

JD10367 06-20-2020 01:24 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wbf7sxR1D8w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DrRyan 06-20-2020 01:46 PM

You can definitely throw Danny in the debate if you are only discussing the drumming acumen. But leaving out Peart’s song writing excellence is leaving out a huge part of the story. That included it is hard for me to see anyone in his league and I’m not even a big Rush fan. It took me a while to come around to their greatness.

Demonpenz 06-20-2020 01:52 PM

Dana Carrey is still working as well. Neil Pert hasn't do anything new forever.

Halfcan 06-20-2020 02:17 PM

Why not just do a thread about how much you like Carey without trying to compare him to the Professor- the greatest drummer/percussionist of all time?

WhawhaWhat 06-20-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 15029123)
Neil Pert hasn't do anything new forever.

Hasn't done much of anything for the past 6 months.

Great Expectations 06-20-2020 09:45 PM

Neither can touch Bonzo. Typically the only people who disagree with that are fan bois

Fish 06-20-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 15029974)
Neither can touch Bonzo. Typically the only people who disagree with that are fan bois

Honestly don't know much about his drumming prowess. Any recommendations?

eDave 06-21-2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15030012)
Honestly don't know much about his drumming prowess. Any recommendations?

All of it. When the levee breaks is a good star. Moby Dick 15 his solo song. 15 minutes live.

Bump 06-21-2020 02:07 AM

Bonham is the GOAT for sure, I doubt too many would try to argue that. Just listen to any Led Zeppelin song live and pay attention to the drums. I love how he was making that shit sound like explosions in some of those songs. I remember reading something from John Paul Jones that he liked to stay in the back so he could focus on what Bonham was doing and go off of that or something like that.

JD10367 06-21-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 15030286)
Bonham is the GOAT for sure, I doubt too many would try to argue that. Just listen to any Led Zeppelin song live and pay attention to the drums. I love how he was making that shit sound like explosions in some of those songs. I remember reading something from John Paul Jones that he liked to stay in the back so he could focus on what Bonham was doing and go off of that or something like that.

The thing about Bonham is, his drum track is really the basis for every Zep song. As opposed to someone like Ringo Starr who literally was just whacking along in time and could've been any schmuck back there.

hometeam 06-21-2020 07:09 PM

danny carey #1 all time

dont @ me.

Pablo 06-21-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15031143)
danny carey #1 all time

dont @ me.

It's true. Canadians are never the best at anything.

rabblerouser 06-21-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 15029974)

Amen.

I've always preferred the "groove drummers" like Bonzo/Fleetwood/Watts/Gorman/Ringo/Buddy Miles/Chad Smith/Tommy Lee et al to the "overplayers" like Peart/Carey/Mitch Mitchell/etc

A couple exceptions would be the total badasses like Jimmy Chamberlain and Keith Moon.

rabblerouser 06-21-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 15030594)
The thing about Bonham is, his drum track is really the basis for every Zep song. As opposed to someone like Ringo Starr who literally was just whacking along in time and could've been any schmuck back there.

You're a ****ing moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA

SuperChief 06-22-2020 08:48 AM

DC is my favorite drummer of all time, and I'd definitely put him up there with the top 1-3 best drummers of all time (even though I'm a little biased).

Gavin Harrison is the truth, though. His work with Porcupine Tree, the newer formation of King Crimson, and most recently Pineapple Thief is stellar. I know it's long, but give this performance a listen - it's a flawless clinic on progressive drumming. The song happens to be kickass too!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iBfY86cktN0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry 06-22-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15031277)

Thats a terrible example

JD10367 06-22-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15031277)

Oh, geez, we've got a Ringo white knight. ROFL

MTG#10 06-22-2020 05:23 PM

Truth. Danny Carey is the greatest drummer who ever lived. If you disagree, you are wrong.

penguinz 06-22-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15032619)
Truth. Danny Carey is the greatest drummer who ever lived. If you disagree, you are wrong.

This

lewdog 06-22-2020 09:12 PM

Why are Tool fans so ****ing annoying?

Third Eye 06-22-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15032877)

It really is something.

lcarus 06-23-2020 07:27 AM

I will say one thing for the guy. He must have the stamina of a warrior to play those consistently repetitive 24 minute long songs.

rabblerouser 06-23-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15032877)

Because Tool is so ****ing annoying.

rabblerouser 06-23-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15033224)
I will say one thing for the guy. He must have the stamina of a warrior to play those consistently repetitive 24 minute long songs.

True, but it's always the same song...

rabblerouser 06-23-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 15032481)
Oh, geez, we've got a Ringo white knight. ROFL

I'd rather listen to every song Ringo drummed on over any song Danny Carey played on...

Third Eye 06-23-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15034090)
Because Tool is so ****ing annoying.

Hey man, they can’t all be Mickey Avalon.

MTG#10 06-23-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15034224)

LMAO

hometeam 06-23-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15034098)
I'd rather listen to every song Ringo drummed on over any song Danny Carey played on...

Thought you where supposed to be a music guy?

Objectively, and subjectively, Carey is a far better drummer than Ringo, if your opinion is otherwise.. its just anti-carey-ism~

Listening to Ringo is like thinking about Carey when he was 5 and got his first drum set. Dude is the ****ing GOAT, and there are some guys that you can put in the conversation with him, but Ringo aint one.

Fish 06-23-2020 09:25 PM

<iframe width="1173" height="660" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zEner2pmY08" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog 06-23-2020 09:28 PM

I didn't realize how old he is.

Wow!

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2020 09:41 PM

Sorry, but these threads and "arguments" are flat out dumb.

Yes, Danny Carey is a very, very good technical drummer that completely fits his band. Tool has an identifiable sound, which has been created mainly by Maynard and Danny Carey (the other guys are nice players and all but they're hardly standouts).

That said, Danny Carey's drum style is very limited. He's not a Pocket player and he doesn't have a groove or backbeat. He's not the type of guy that's playing on session after session, nor are producers anywhere hiring studio drummers to "Play like Danny Carey".

Ringo, on the other hand, is not only a phenomenal drummer but a phenomenal musician and songwriter. His pocket, backbeat and especially, his sound, is legendary. I can't tell you guys how many multi-platinum and Grammy-winning Producers that constantly look for guys that can "Play like Ringo". Ask any big time professional studio/session/touring drummer (including Danny) and they'll all tell you that Ringo is still a ****ing badass.

Ringo played on about 200 Beatles songs, most of which, hit. You guys can argue chops all day long but at the end of the day, the guy that plays for the song, wins.

And Ringo definitely won.

MTG#10 06-23-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15034697)

Yes, Danny Carey is a very, very good technical drummer that completely fits his band. Tool has an identifiable sound, which has been created by Maynard and Danny Carey (the other guys are nice players and all but they're hardly standouts).

That said, Danny Carey's drum style is very limited. He's not a Pocket player and he doesn't have a groove or backbeat. He's not the type of guy that's playing on session after session, nor are producers anywhere hiring studio drummers to "Play like Danny Carey".

Ringo, on the other hand, is not only a phenomenal drummer but a phenomenal musician and songwriter. His pocket, backbeat and especially, his sound, is legendary. I can't tell you guys how many multi-platinum and Grammy-winning Producers that constantly look for guys that can "Play like Ringo". Ask any big time professional studio/session/touring drummer (including Danny) and they'll all tell you that Ringo is still a ****ing badass.

Ringo played on about 200 Beatles songs, most of which, hit. You guys can argue chops all day long but at the end of the day, the guy that plays for the song, wins.

Yeah, bullshit. You can find better drummers than Ringo at any Guitar Center. This seriously may be the worst musical take I've ever read.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15034701)
Yeah, bullshit. You can find better drummers than Ringo at any Guitar Center. This seriously may be the worst musical take I've ever read.

LMAO

Glad to see you around

hometeam 06-23-2020 09:55 PM

People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because nobody can do the shit he does. They can try to copy specific licks, but they cant compose it in the way that only he does.

That's why hes the GOAT, and there are thousands of regular jack offs that can play like Ringo.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15034715)
People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because nobody can do the shit he does. They can try to copy specific licks, but they cant compose it in the way that only he does.

That's why hes the GOAT, and there are thousands of regular jack offs that can play like Ringo.

Good god, no.

Again, Danny fits Tool perfectly, just like Neil Pearl fit Rush perfectly.

And while both of them are Masters of their own styles, they’re not masters of every style.

Arguing about who is “better”, when both Rings and Danny have had massive success with their respective bands, is a silly waste of time.

Neither band would be even remotely the same had any other drummer been a member.

hometeam 06-23-2020 10:19 PM

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/202...4d9.jpg?s=1400

MTG#10 06-24-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15034713)
LMAO

Glad to see you around

Thanks man, didn't plan on it but Tool threads will always bring me out from under my rock.

Seriously though, to say Ringo "wins" because he's recorded more songs is silly. And just because none of Danny's bands fit that style doesn't mean he couldn't carry a groove/backbeat if he wanted to. I've read somewhere he's an excellent jazz drummer, that's how he was originally trained but too lazy to look it up.

I'd bet my house Danny could listen to any Beatles song once and perform an exact replica of Ringo's elementary beats. Hell, I can play damn near every Beatles song and I only have 4 years of percussion in high school. Ringo probably couldn't even count some of Danny's polyrhythms.

rabblerouser 06-24-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, Danny Carey is a very, very good technical drummer that completely fits his band. Tool has an identifiable sound, which has been created mainly by Maynard and Danny Carey (the other guys are nice players and all but they're hardly standouts).

Correct.

Would rather have Ringo in my band than Danny Carey.

Ringo is the GOAT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15034224)

Amen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15034861)
Thanks man, didn't plan on it but Tool threads will always bring me out from under my rock.

Seriously though, to say Ringo "wins" because he's recorded more songs is silly. And just because none of Danny's bands fit that style doesn't mean he couldn't carry a groove/backbeat if he wanted to. I've read somewhere he's an excellent jazz drummer, that's how he was originally trained but too lazy to look it up.

I'd bet my house Danny could listen to any Beatles song once and perform an exact replica of Ringo's elementary beats. Hell, I can play damn near every Beatles song and I only have 4 years of percussion in high school. Ringo probably couldn't even count some of Danny's polyrhythms.

If you could play like Ringo, you'd be a highly sought after session musician.

The solo in "The End", put it to a metronome and you'll find it's in perfect time.

You ever heard "Something"? His playing on the bridge? So sublime. "Rain", "A Day In The Life", "Strawberry Fields Forever"...

Even the stuff that sounds "simple" isn't really that simple when Ringo plays it.

rabblerouser 06-24-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15034715)

People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because most people write songs and don't need people to be flying all over the kit like Carey.

Tool only has one song : Maynard sings operatically over the slow atmospheric part, then they pick up speed, Danny Carey plays double bass and goes nuts over the kit, then it explodes into weird noises.

The fact that they don't have actual songs but one formula that is "their sound" means that Danny Carey HAS to play the way he does - otherwise, it isn't 'Tool music'.

2bikemike 06-24-2020 08:12 AM

Not a fan of Tool, however watching the OP's video I didn't see anything that blew me away.

I am a fan of Rush and probably have some bias towards NP. I have been blown away by some of NP's drumming.

I agree that there are a number of different styles and trying to pick the GOAT is would be a monumental task.

My son is a pretty decent drummer, and I have a lot of respect for all drummers. What they do with their hands a feet at different tempos is pretty amazing to this extremely rhythmically challenged observer.

SuperChief 06-24-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15034956)
People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because most people write songs and don't need people to be flying all over the kit like Carey.

Tool only has one song : Maynard sings operatically over the slow atmospheric part, then they pick up speed, Danny Carey plays double bass and goes nuts over the kit, then it explodes into weird noises.

The fact that they don't have actual songs but one formula that is "their sound" means that Danny Carey HAS to play the way he does - otherwise, it isn't 'Tool music'.

I just . . . can't believe how ill-informed this take is. I take it you've never really listened to the band - maybe a few of the hits on the radio? Because if you've ever listened to Tool stuff from Lataralus-on, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. Double bass? Did you get that from the short moment in Pneuma from the OP?

Damn dude. I know how silly it is to debate "best" with such a subjective concept like art, but . . . your take is so far removed from reality. Idk.

SuperChief 06-24-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15034729)
Arguing about who is “better”, when both Rings and Danny have had massive success with their respective bands, is a silly waste of time.

You just did that, though. You said "Ringo won" in your post previous to this one. What am I missing? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:ROFL

Fish 06-24-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

:facepalm:

lawrenceRaider 06-24-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15034729)
Good god, no.

Again, Danny fits Tool perfectly, just like Neil Pearl fit Rush perfectly.

And while both of them are Masters of their own styles, they’re not masters of every style.

Neither band would be even remotely the same had any other drummer been a member.

This is spot on. People often confuse their own limits (opinions/desires/preferences) for the limits of the world.

rabblerouser 06-24-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15035100)
I just . . . can't believe how ill-informed this take is. I take it you've never really listened to the band - maybe a few of the hits on the radio? Because if you've ever listened to Tool stuff from Lataralus-on, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. Double bass? Did you get that from the short moment in Pneuma from the OP?

Damn dude. I know how silly it is to debate "best" with such a subjective concept like art, but . . . your take is so far removed from reality. Idk.

I've seen Tool live at Ozzfest, I've heard all the albums except for the newest one (no interest), there's just not much meat on them bones. For that type of music, I can get what Tool offers from bands I like much better - stuff like King Crimson, Smashing Pumpkins, Porcupine Tree, et al

It's okay if you like them, it was just never my thing. Just like I never liked Korn all that much, or Limp Bizkit. Lots of people loved them. Never was a Creed fan. Same with Godsmack and Nickelback. Never was my thing.

For my money, Jimmy Chamberlain is probably my favorite drummer of "that style", that busy, over the top prog-rock style of playing.

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, but I'm a "song" guy. I really like great songs. After Opiate and Undertow, it seems like Tool quit writing songs and just do "Tool sounds". Which is cool, if you're a fan. I'm not.

MTG#10 06-24-2020 11:46 AM

I will concede one thing, Danny isn't without a doubt the greatest drummer who ever lived...nobody can unequivocally claim that title. But to even put Ringo in the same conversation is downright laughable.

MTG#10 06-24-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15034934)

The solo in "The End", put it to a metronome and you'll find it's in perfect time.

Its not hard to keep a solo in perfect time for an experienced drummer, it's expected and not something to brag about. If you want to hear a perfect example listen to Chocolate Chip Trip and come back to me. While not the best drum solo I've ever heard, its in perfect time and far beyond Ringo's capabilities.

rabblerouser 06-24-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15035418)
Its not hard to keep a solo in perfect time for an experienced drummer, it's expected and not something to brag about. If you want to hear a perfect example listen to Chocalte Chip Trip and come back to me. While not the best drum solo I've ever heard, its in perfect time and far beyond Ringo's capabilities.

Bed hair don't care, brah. Tool is literally one of the most overrated bands ever.

MTG#10 06-24-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15035685)
Bed hair don't care, brah. Tool is literally one of the most overrated bands ever.

LMAO

Tapout literally acknowledged.

rabblerouser 06-24-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15035961)
LMAO

Tapout literally acknowledged.

Oh, whatever.

Every Tool song sounds the same.

And Tool fans SUCK.

lawrenceRaider 06-25-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15036372)
Oh, whatever.

And Tool fans SUCK.

Past Ænema, yeah, it sounds pretty much the same.

SuperChief 06-25-2020 08:04 AM

I don't know how someone can listen to Right in Two and Rosetta Stoned and hear the same thing. What?

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15036524)
Past Ænema, yeah, it sounds pretty much the same.

It's true

MTG#10 06-25-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15036372)
Oh, whatever.

And Tool fans SUCK.

We were talking about Ringo's inferiority to Danny Carey, not your shitty taste in music.

MTG#10 06-25-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15036589)
I don't know how someone can listen to Right in Two and Rosetta Stoned and hear the same thing. What?

There are dozens of other examples too. When someone says any band's music all sounds the same it just proves they haven't heard much or wasn't paying attention when they did. If all of Tool's songs sounded the same I seriously doubt they'd be selling out huge arenas still to this day well into their 50's.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15036774)
We were talking about Ringo's inferiority to Danny Carey, not your shitty taste in music.

A ****ing queer-assed Tool fan telling me that MY taste in music is 'shitty'?

Maybe so, but I'm not into the whole art-queer for the sake of shock thing. Songs like 'Stinkfist" and "Prison Sex" just aren't my thing.

Maybe you identify with that shit. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

But the Beatles>>>>>>>Tool every single day of the week, AND they're not gay like Tool.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 01:29 PM

Drummers I like better than Danny Carey :

RINGO
Mick Fleetwood
Joe Winters
Buddy Miles
Buddy Rich
Jimmy Chamberlain
Brain
Bob Burns
Artimus Pyle
Jaime Oldaker
Anton Fig
Phil Rudd
CHRIS SLADE
Steve Gorman
Joe Magistro
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Matt Walker
Kenny Aronoff
Chad Smith
Jackie Irons
Dave Abbruzzese
Matt Cameron
Brit Turner
Charlie Watts
The guy from the ****ing Spin Doctors
Jeff Sipe
Eric Kretz
Paul ****ing McCartney
Martin Chambers
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Sean Kinney
Brad Morgan
Chad Gamble
George Sluppick
Billy Kreutzmann
Dennis Chambers
Tommy ****ing Lee
Dave ****ing Grohl
Craig Wingate
Brad Wilk
Bill Ward
Tommy Aldridge
Lee Kerslake
Joey Kramer
Ralph Molina
Jim Gordon
Jim Keltner
Taylor Hawkins
Stephen Perkins
Uncle John Turner
Andy Sturmer from Jellyfish
Rob Affuso
Ginger Fish
Vinnie Paul
Eric Carr
Eric Singer
Neal Smith from the Original ACG
Whitey Glan
Nigel Olsson

That's just off the top of my head.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15035106)
You just did that, though. You said "Ringo won" in your post previous to this one. What am I missing? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:ROFL

Ringo has had far, far more success as a player, touring artist and songwriter than Danny Carey. The two aren't even comparable in this regard.

These debates are stupid but if we're looking merely at career, number of albums sold and longevity, Ringo is the hands down "winner".

Molitoth 06-25-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15031640)
DC is my favorite drummer of all time, and I'd definitely put him up there with the top 1-3 best drummers of all time (even though I'm a little biased).

Gavin Harrison is the truth, though. His work with Porcupine Tree, the newer formation of King Crimson, and most recently Pineapple Thief is stellar. I know it's long, but give this performance a listen - it's a flawless clinic on progressive drumming. The song happens to be kickass too!

I did a search for Gavin Harrison in this thread and you were the winner.
Nice job.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15034861)

There is nothing similar between Ringo and Danny's style of drumming, so to say one is better than the other is silly.

It's like saying that EVH is "better" than BB King when the reality is that both players have a huge audience and enormous appeal. Denigrating one successful player against another, especially when the subject is "best ever", is a complete waste of time.

EPodolak 06-25-2020 02:03 PM

"Carouselambra" (John Bonham)
"Close to the Edge" (Bill Bruford)
and throw in "Rain" (Ringo Starr)

A rock drumming holy trinity.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15037336)
"Carouselambra" (John Bonham)
"Close to the Edge" (Bill Bruford)
and throw in "Rain" (Ringo Starr)

A rock drumming holy trinity.

Bonham's take on the Purdie shuffle in "Fool In The Rain" is some of the best drumming ever recorded. The combination of technique, taste, and control is something that any drummer should aspire to, plus it's just fun to listen to...

I sometimes think that the Danny Carey/Neil Peart style of drumming holds more interest for non-musicians/beginner-type drummers because it's flashier, it stands out more, so people think it's "better", just because they don't know any better.

When I was in Junior High, I thought Mitch Mitchell was the best drummer ever, and from 66-68, he was great. But then, in 69-70, he expanded his kit to a double bass and the drugs kind of took over, and he started sounding like sneakers in a dryer. Something 12 year old me would have never admitted.

Nowadays, I prefer the 'pocket' drummers. The guys with technique, taste, and control. I prefer Brain>Herb Alexander in Primus. Buddy Miles to Mitch Mitchell. It's a taste thing. Drummers who don't know when to shut up are annoying. I don't want to hear a drum solo in the context of a song.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15037293)
There is nothing similar between Ringo and Danny's style of drumming, so to say one is better than the other is silly.

It's like saying that EVH is "better" than BB King when the reality is that both players have a huge audience and enormous appeal. Denigrating one successful player against another, especially when the subject is "best ever", is a complete waste of time.

Wow, it's like you know about music or something ;)

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15037365)
I sometimes think that the Danny Carey/Neil Peart style of drumming holds more interest for non-musicians/beginner-type drummers because it's flashier, it stands out more, so people think it's "better", just because they don't know any better.

When I was in Junior High, I thought Mitch Mitchell was the best drummer ever, and from 66-68, he was great. But then, in 69-70, he expanded his kit to a double bass and the drugs kind of took over, and he started sounding like sneakers in a dryer. Something 12 year old me would have never admitted.

Nowadays, I prefer the 'pocket' drummers. The guys with technique, taste, and control. I prefer Brain>Herb Alexander in Primus. Buddy Miles to Mitch Mitchell. It's a taste thing. Drummers who don't know when to shut up are annoying. I don't want to hear a drum solo in the context of a song.

LMAO

I'm laughing because I used to the be the same exact way. When everyone was into KISS in 1977, I was into Brand X, Return to Forever (with both Al and Bill), George Benson, Al DiMeola, Rush, Yes and later, Saga, because all of those guys could play their asses off, so I learned every guitar lick note for note.

I used to be into very technical drummers like Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Alan White and Billy Cobham. All of the drummers I played with were into those guys as well, with two of them owning a Ludwig Octaplus and couple of them owning clear blue Sonor drums. But as I became older, I began to dislike "busy" drummers and found that groove and simplicity was more to my liking than anyone that could copy a Neil Peart drum solo note-for-note.

I still prefer schooled drummers versus non-schooled guys, with the Berkeley drummers as my personal fav's. I've played with a ton of players but the guys that were my favorites are Taylor Hawkins, Brian Tichy and Kevin Valentine, with the least favorite being Rikki Rocket (we jammed a few times at the old Palomino in NoHo and the guy just couldn't play in time).

PS-Mitch Mitchell used to play all the time at the old Coconut Teaser when I first arrived in LA back in 1993 and I was soooooooooooo incredibly stoked to see him play live and man, was I disappointed. Plus, the guy just couldn't hold a conversation, so it was a bummer.

The old adage of "Never meet your heroes" unfortunately applied in this case.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15037426)
LMAO

I'm laughing because I used to the be the same exact way. When everyone was into KISS in 1977, I was into Brand X, Return to Forever (with both Al and Bill), George Benson, Al DiMeola, Rush, Yes and later, Saga, because all of those guys could play their asses off, so I learned every guitar lick note for note.

I used to be into very technical drummers like Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Alan White and Billy Cobham. All of the drummers I played with were into those guys as well, with two of them owning a Ludwig Octaplus and couple of them owning clear blue Sonor drums. But as I became older, I began to dislike "busy" drummers and found that groove and simplicity was more to my liking than anyone that could copy a Neil Peart drum solo note-for-note.

I still prefer schooled drummers versus non-schooled guys, with the Berkeley drummers as my personal fav's. I've played with a ton of players but the guys that were my favorites are Taylor Hawkins, Brian Tichy and Kevin Valentine, with the least favorite being Rikki Rocket (we jammed a few times at the old Palomino in NoHo and the guy just couldn't play in time).

PS-Mitch Mitchell used to play all the time at the old Coconut Teaser when I first arrived in LA back in 1993 and I was soooooooooooo incredibly stoked to see him play live and man, was I disappointed. Plus, the guy just couldn't hold a conversation, so it was a bummer.

The old adage of "Never meet your heroes" unfortunately applied in this case.

You get it, for sure ROFL.

I LOVED Taylor Hawkins when he was in Alanis' band - Taylor, Chris Chaney on bass and Jesse Tobias on guitar...they could shred AND knew how to lay back and play a three chord acoustic tune.

I saw Poison in 2012 with NY Dolls and Mötley Crüe and they surprised me - maybe the combination of low expectations, sobriety, and 20 years of actually learning how to play must've done them wonders.

And yeah, I was all about those "note guys" when I was a kid, I thought Steve Vai was awesome when he was the devil's guitar player in Crossroads LMAO. I think it's a musical maturity thing, you know. I realized early on that I was never going to be the "fastest gun in the west", and then I switched to bass, because, let's face it, a decent bass player always has a gig. Because I like songs and just wanted to play music, so it didn't matter if I was playing all the licks. Playing music is like a football team, you know - not everyone gets to score the touchdown and be Patrick Mahomes. Bass players and drummers are the Oline of the band. The drummer shouldn't ever be the QB (but the drummer IS the QB of Rush and Tool)...

Poor Mitch Mitchell. Not only did his playing deteriorate, but so did his brain, from all accounts I've heard. Those interview segments on the Hendrix DVDs had to be edited to make any sense...and even then, just barely.

I remember one where he was describing a JHE tour, he pauses and goes 'it was...giant...craziness.'

MTG#10 06-25-2020 04:50 PM

Thrashing wildly all over the kit isn't what people love about Danny. Its his polyrhythms combined with offbeats. His insane ability to play in two and even three different time signatures at the same time with different limbs...the human body should not be capable of some of the shit that man does, but he does it seemingly without effort. I get why some people think it sounds weird and don't enjoy it, it took me a while to get into them too but I love the math and trying to count as he plays.

MTG#10 06-25-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15037241)
A ****ing queer-assed Tool fan telling me that MY taste in music is 'shitty'?

Maybe so, but I'm not into the whole art-queer for the sake of shock thing. Songs like 'Stinkfist" and "Prison Sex" just aren't my thing.

Maybe you identify with that shit. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

But the Beatles>>>>>>>Tool every single day of the week, AND they're not gay like Tool.

Gay jokes...didn't know I was dealing with a teenager. You do you buddy.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15037659)
Thrashing wildly all over the kit isn't what people love about Danny. Its his polyrhythms combined with offbeats. His insane ability to play in two and even three different time signatures at the same time with different limbs...the human body should not be capable of some of the shit that man does, but he does it seemingly without effort. I get why some people think it sounds weird and don't enjoy it, it took me a while to get into them too but I love the math and trying to count as he plays.

Cool story. You enjoy the math and trying to count...

I'll enjoy good songs that tell a story without unambiguously gay overtones.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15037663)
Gay jokes...didn't know I was dealing with a teenager. You do you buddy.

Maybe when I was a teenager, the shock value of something like Tool would've meant a little more...but then I developed a musical maturity, and stuff like Tool didn't mean much to me anymore. I used to like the Deftones a lot back in the 90s, too. Not so much anymore. I grew up. I don't relate to songs like "Hooker with a Penis", "Jimmy", "Pushit", "Jerkoff", "Bottom", "Prison Sex" or "Stinkfist" on any level. It's cool if you do. But you aren't going to convince me that it's great music because the drummer plays the kit like an octopus.

MTG#10 06-25-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15037822)
Maybe when I was a teenager, the shock value of something like Tool would've meant a little more...but then I developed a musical maturity, and stuff like Tool didn't mean much to me anymore. I used to like the Deftones a lot back in the 90s, too. Not so much anymore. I grew up. I don't relate to songs like "Hooker with a Penis", "Jimmy", "Pushit", "Jerkoff", "Bottom", "Prison Sex" or "Stinkfist" on any level. It's cool if you do. But you aren't going to convince me that it's great music because the drummer plays the kit like an octopus.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I don't give a shit what your dumbass likes. Unlike like you claim to, Tool did mature musically as they got older. While I still appreciate the older stuff, Lateralus, 10000 Days and Fear Inoculum get way more play at my house. The fact still remains, Danny has more percussion talent in his left testicle than Ringo could ever dream of...and I actually like The Beatles too.

You claim "musical maturity" and that you "grew up" but listen to shit like this:

My dick cost a late night fee
Your dick got the HIV
My dick plays on the double feature screen
Your dick went straight to DVD
My dick, bigger than a bridge
Your dick look like a little kid's
My dick, large like the Chargers, the whole team
Your shit look like you fourteen
My dick, pink and big
Your dick stinks like shit
My dick got a Caesar do
Your dick needs a tweezer, dude

LMAO

****ing clown.

rabblerouser 06-25-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15037849)

You claim "musical maturity" and that you "grew up" but listen to shit like this:

My dick cost a late night fee
Your dick got the HIV
My dick plays on the double feature screen
Your dick went straight to DVD
My dick, bigger than a bridge
Your dick look like a little kid's
My dick, large like the Chargers, the whole team
Your shit look like you fourteen
My dick, pink and big
Your dick stinks like shit
My dick got a Caesar do
Your dick needs a tweezer, dude

LMAO

****ing clown.

That song is SO 2005.

Seriously. Mickey is banging "Woke AF", a message that needs to be heard.

Also : not every song has to be a literary masterpiece...but the hot little 24 year old I kick it with can spit every verse of "My Dick" from memory, we have a good time...sometimes, a song can make you laugh, and that IS the song's merit.

Mickey Avalon>Tool.

Wheeler Walker Jr>>>Tool

****, I'd rather listen to ICP>>>Tool. Their fans aren't near as annoying as Tool fans are...

**** Tool. Tool fans who act like they're the greatest band ever turn me off from ever wanting to listen to them again.

Tool is like Phish for annoying incel people who sometimes take showers.

candyman 06-25-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15037926)

That song is SO 2005.

Stinkfist is 1996 and Prison Sex '93.