ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Finally, a steak worthy of ketchup (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332199)

cmh6476 07-02-2020 09:06 PM

Finally, a steak worthy of ketchup

https://www.engadget.com/3d-printed-...193947695.html

Rain Man 07-02-2020 10:00 PM

It can also be used as a replacement human kidney.

Bugeater 07-02-2020 10:05 PM

Yeah, drench it in ketchup, then throw it and the bottle of ketchup into the trash.

MMXcalibur 07-03-2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 15049373)
Yeah, drench it in ketchup, then throw it and the bottle of ketchup into the trash.

Patrick Mahomes has unfriended the Kansas City Chiefs.

DaFace 07-03-2020 07:04 AM

I can't imagine it would be very good, but I'd try it. The Impossible Burger is pretty tasty, to my surprise.

listopencil 07-03-2020 07:29 AM

Relax. This is how we eventually get the food replicator from Star Trek.

JohnnyHammersticks 07-03-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15049687)
I can't imagine it would be very good, but I'd try it. The Impossible Burger is pretty tasty, to my surprise.

You think you were surprised at how good it tasted, just wait until the truth comes out about what they were really putting in those Impossible Burgers (hint - Soylent Green). Then you're really gonna be surprised at how good it tasted. :eek:

Hammock Parties 07-03-2020 09:01 AM

a nation of soy boys

gblowfish 07-03-2020 09:47 AM

I had real TBone steaks for dinner last night and they were faaaaabulous. I draw the line at 3-D replicated fake steak. No can do.

Kman34 07-03-2020 01:22 PM

Just a matter of time till the 3D printed humans arrive.. See Westworld..

oldman 07-04-2020 09:20 AM

The problem I have with those soy/unknown substance burgers isn't so much the taste, but the texture. Bite into one and when you chew, it becomes some kind of pasty goo. I'm out.

loochy 07-04-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 15049758)
You think you were surprised at how good it tasted, just wait until the truth comes out about what they were really putting in those Impossible Burgers (hint - Soylent Green). Then you're really gonna be surprised at how good it tasted. :eek:

Burger King is people.

bdj23 07-04-2020 09:45 AM

I'll pass on your soy/bugmeat.

R Clark 07-04-2020 02:11 PM

Haven’t ate dog shit and I will not eat this shit. Why people would consider this or an impossible burger is mind blowing.

cooper barrett 07-04-2020 02:30 PM

Looking in fridge at 1 3/4" thick ribeye and thinking of somebody gluing together crabgrass and algae and man made flavors using printer to fake meat's texture, made me lose my appetite for steak tonight.

I guess an overnight dry brine will make it taste even better tomorrow

DaFace 07-04-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15051421)
The problem I have with those soy/unknown substance burgers isn't so much the taste, but the texture. Bite into one and when you chew, it becomes some kind of pasty goo. I'm out.

Have you tried the Impossible Burger? It tastes so much like meat that my vegetarian friend won't eat it.

Fat Elvis 07-04-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15051782)
Have you tried the Impossible Burger? It tastes so much like meat that my vegetarian friend won't eat it.

I tried the Impossible Whopper; it was OK, I guess. Fairly reminiscent of what I remembered a Whopper tasting like.

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, and I really don't "get" the whole fake meat thing. If I wanted meat, I would simply eat it. The notion of a 3D printed plant steak is a hard pass from me.

The only way I can see this taking off is if there is a confluence of events that render real meat cost prohibitive and the fake steak market can overcome adoption barriers where economies of scale can make it significantly more affordable than meat.

DaFace 07-04-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 15051841)
I tried the Impossible Whopper; it was OK, I guess. Fairly reminiscent of what I remembered a Whopper tasting like.

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, and I really don't "get" the whole fake meat thing. If I wanted meat, I would simply eat it. The notion of a 3D printed plant steak is a hard pass from me.

The only way I can see this taking off is if there is a confluence of events that render real meat cost prohibitive and the fake steak market can overcome adoption barriers where economies of scale can make it significantly more affordable than meat.

To be fair, I've had it at a reasonably nice restaurant where they actually know how to cook a burger, and that's what I'm primarily thinking of. The Burger King version is fine, but at the end of the day it's a Burger King burger.

As for the plant-based meat broadly, though, I think of it more as being for someone like me than someone like you. I don't think I could ever truly be vegetarian, but I do think that the world would generally be a little better place if we had less of a need for raising and slaughtering meat. So, if they can come up with some products that satisfy my need for meat while reducing the impacts of growing said meat, I'm all for it.

But yeah, they're gonna have to get the prices down. I actually think it's likely they'll get there in the next 5-10 years, but we'll see.

Fat Elvis 07-04-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15051850)
To be fair, I've had it at a reasonably nice restaurant where they actually know how to cook a burger, and that's what I'm primarily thinking of. The Burger King version is fine, but at the end of the day it's a Burger King burger.

As for the plant-based meat broadly, though, I think of it more as being for someone like me than someone like you. I don't think I could ever truly be vegetarian, but I do think that the world would generally be a little better place if we had less of a need for raising and slaughtering meat. So, if they can come up with some products that satisfy my need for meat while reducing the impacts of growing said meat, I'm all for it.

But yeah, they're gonna have to get the prices down. I actually think it's likely they'll get there in the next 5-10 years, but we'll see.

I might have to get some Impossible Burger and cook it myself to give it a fair shake.

BWillie 07-04-2020 04:29 PM

Would be awesome if they could make a steak alternative that is healthy. I'd eat it everyday.

Rain Man 07-04-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 15051841)

I hate to admit it, but I'm not going to try a plant-based burger if I'm at a restaurant that is also offering a meat-based burger. I'm not averse to trying it, but the only way it's going to happen is when my wife eventually takes me to some vegetarian restaurant where meat isn't available.

DaFace 07-04-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15051906)
I hate to admit it, but I'm not going to try a plant-based burger if I'm at a restaurant that is also offering a meat-based burger. I'm not averse to trying it, but the only way it's going to happen is when my wife eventually takes me to some vegetarian restaurant where meat isn't available.

I'm telling you, I thought The Kitchen's Impossible Burger was as good if not better than the normal burger.

Rain Man 07-04-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15051915)
I'm telling you, I thought The Kitchen's Impossible Burger was as good if not better than the normal burger.

Maybe some day, then. Some day when I'm feeling particularly environmental.

mlyonsd 07-04-2020 05:48 PM

Why shape it like a steak? They could make a fake meat Eiffel tower. Think of the possibilities.

DaFace 07-04-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 15051934)
Why shape it like a steak? They could make a fake meat Eiffel tower. Think of the possibilities.

Golden Gate Bridge Bacon would be fun.

Rain Man 07-04-2020 05:53 PM

Imagine the fun of a meat dish that was miniature high rises and tiny Tokyo residents fleeing in terror as you smash through it. That's the way they'll draw in customers like me.

Demonpenz 07-05-2020 01:03 AM

real steaks matter.

Bugeater 07-05-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15051942)
Imagine the fun of a meat dish that was miniature high rises and tiny Tokyo residents fleeing in terror as you smash through it. That's the way they'll draw in customers like me.

I'll bring in the whole family to enjoy that with me.

dj56dt58 07-05-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15051782)

You only save 30 calories so why bother? Unless your goal is to lower cholesterol

mililo4cpa 07-05-2020 12:58 PM

Wow! That looks amazing, and I bet it tastes even better than it looks!*

*hoping to drive demand for veggie based meat products, thus lowering the demand, and subsequently the price of, real meat. The bone-in ribeye I grilled yesterday will be even better once the price goes down....

Rain Man 07-05-2020 01:49 PM

Do we think the ketchup will be 3d printed as well?

crispystl 07-05-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15051915)

I’m going to have to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlyonsd 07-05-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 15052864)
I’m going to have to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one when they first came out. It wasn't bad but I haven't ordered another one.

DaneMcCloud 07-05-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 15051753)
Why people would consider this or an impossible burger is mind blowing.

Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and weight gain are all viable reasons as to why someone would consider plant-based alternatives to beef products.

I've never tried any plant-based meat alternatives but then again, I don't crave red meat or pork and rarely eat either.

Cleavage 07-05-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15052940)
Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and weight gain are all viable reasons as to why someone would consider plant-based alternatives to beef products.

I've never tried any plant-based meat alternatives but then again, I don't crave red meat or pork and rarely eat either.

Oh listen to the food guide expert here! The only thing you crave is pipe, Corky.

Fat Elvis 07-05-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15052940)

I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and that is the primary reason why I switched to a plant based diet. Since switching, my total cholesterol dropped to 122 (53 HDL), and my blood pressure tonight was 98/68 with a heart rate of 54bpm.

I'm an old guy, so I am pretty pleased with those numbers.

I've eaten a plant based diet for a few years now, and quite frankly, I really have no desire to eat meat anymore (which is ironic since most of my family's wealth comes from the beef industry). What I quickly realized after switching is that I really didn't crave meat, per se, but rather the flavors that are typically associated with meat, for example the char on a steak, the fat, the sweet and/or tangy of bbq, etc. You can get all that and more with a plant based diet; you just need to learn how to season and cook properly.

burt 07-06-2020 09:04 AM

I was a "I'll never do plant based burgers" dude. Heck, you couldn't even get me to try it. BUT, while waiting for my impending heart attack, I checked out a few. Yeah, several had bad taste AND bad texture. Sprouts has a Sprouts brand burger that is actually great. I didn't find any others and quit looking since I found these. I even got my GF's Dad to try one...and he was in the meat business for years. He was surprised. I was surprised. SURPRISE!!!

Look, I have 6 "narrowed" arteries. I will need bypass. But I want to wait as long as possible. Eating intelligently won't have negative results. I no longer use salt in anything. I eat less red meat, more veggies.

DaFace 07-06-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 15052307)
You only save 30 calories so why bother? Unless your goal is to lower cholesterol

I'm the weird one (by midwest standards) who isn't interested in it because of the health reasons.

Fish 07-06-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 15053269)
I was a "I'll never do plant based burgers" dude. Heck, you couldn't even get me to try it. BUT, while waiting for my impending heart attack, I checked out a few. Yeah, several had bad taste AND bad texture. Sprouts has a Sprouts brand burger that is actually great. I didn't find any others and quit looking since I found these. I even got my GF's Dad to try one...and he was in the meat business for years. He was surprised. I was surprised. SURPRISE!!!

Look, I have 6 "narrowed" arteries. I will need bypass. But I want to wait as long as possible. Eating intelligently won't have negative results. I no longer use salt in anything. I eat less red meat, more veggies.

It's not necessarily more healthy. The Impossible burger has quite a bit more salt than a beef burger. Also higher fat content, more carbs, and less protein than beef.

cooper barrett 07-13-2020 09:40 PM

What thread is this??

https://66.media.tumblr.com/06d92320...f0ccf2c020.png

Or beet powders stories

*Beet powder/ juice is used to replicate blood in fake burgers.