ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs AFC rivals haven't closed gap on Chiefs... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338157)

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 08:03 AM

AFC rivals haven't closed gap on Chiefs...

A good read here in case you missed it, I will put the text in a spoiler...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...his-offseason/

Spoiler!

CupidStunt 05-03-2021 08:28 AM

Not only did no one close the gap -- the Chiefs just made it even wider. We improved more than any other team (contender) in the AFC did.

Chief Northman 05-03-2021 08:33 AM

I would argue Cleveland has had a great offseason and might be ready for a deep playoff run

O.city 05-03-2021 08:34 AM

Cleveland looks really solid on paper. Will be all about Baker.

Chris Meck 05-03-2021 08:36 AM

I think both Buffalo and Cleveland had good, solid drafts and will be improved.

RunKC 05-03-2021 08:36 AM

Nobody is on our level but I think one team deserves a lot of credit.

The Browns

They had one of the best offseasons of any team. They completely revamped their secondary and defense overall.

John Johnson
Troy Hill
Grant Delpit-back after IR as a rookie
Greg Newsome
Anthony Walker
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

Then they added Tak McKinnley, Malik Jackson and Clowney. Not huge fans of them but as your 3rd, 4th and 5th rushers? Not bad.

They had a terrific offseason. Too bad about that whole Baker Mayfield thing though LMAO

AdolfOliverBush 05-03-2021 08:37 AM

The other AFC teams were no threat to the Chiefs last year, and will not be this year. The only real threats are in the NFC.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-03-2021 08:42 AM

Cleveland is maybe the biggest threat now to me. I think we saw peak Buffalo last year.

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 08:43 AM

Miami killed this draft thanks in part to the trade with Houston.

Glad they didn't draft Herbert last year.

If they add Watson or Rodgers....watch out!

pugsnotdrugs19 05-03-2021 08:44 AM

I’ll say this too - if an AFC team adds Rodgers or Watson (if he can play), that team might obviously jump to 2nd on the list immediately.

Miami or Denver both would IMO.

Hammock Parties 05-03-2021 08:46 AM

An AFC team needs to add Julio to have a prayer.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 08:52 AM

Our offense is going back to 2019, our defense is night and day better than 2019, it's going to be a fun year of hearing, "how do you stop the Chiefs" and "pick your poison" every week...

CupidStunt 05-03-2021 08:54 AM

Cleveland did some good shit and on paper they are pretty complete, I agree. But their QB will always be the worst on the field in any contender-vs-contender matchup, whether it's us, Buffalo, Tampa, Green Bay, etc. And not just marginally, either. Mayfield's a pretty steep drop off after the likes of Mahomes, Rodgers etc.

The Franchise 05-03-2021 08:54 AM

It’s Cleveland and it’s going to come down to whether Baker can take the next step. OBJ will be back and Baker wasn’t playing so hot when he was on the field. That defense though.

Hammock Parties 05-03-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15659560)
Our offense is going back to 2019

Chiefs offense was better in 2020...like it was the ****ing #1 offense...we are going back to 2018.

#1 points #1 overall.

O.city 05-03-2021 09:01 AM

If Denver adds Rodgers, they're right there with KC.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15659574)
Chiefs offense was better in 2020...like it was the ****ing #1 offense...we are going back to 2018.

#1 points #1 overall.

Correct... I was thinking in terms of Superbowl years...our offense will be more like 2018-2019, and our defense is way better.

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 09:02 AM

The Athletic surveyed NFL evaluators about how the 2021 draft played out.

Front office people said they were impressed with the drafts of the Cowboys, Chargers, Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Ravens, Steelers and Vikings, among others.

The Chargers were praised for their solid first two picks, offensive tackle Rashawn Slater and cornerback Asante Samuel Jr., as well as wide receiver Josh Palmer. One front office person said he thinks all three are starters, with Palmer being a No. 2 receiver who runs excellent routes. Their second pick in the third round, Tre’ McKitty, was called “the best blocking tight end in the draft.” One predicted fourth-round pick Chris Rumph II will enhance the team with excellent technique, intelligence, savvy, athleticism and character.

RAIDERS: Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said he knew the selection of offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood with the 17th overall pick would be controversial, and he was right. Several of his peers questioned the choice.

Leatherwood was the third offensive tackle taken, but he was ranked sixth-best by one general manager. Another general manager said he was sure the Raiders were going to take Darrisaw instead of Leatherwood. Said a third, “Darrisaw would have been a more solid pick.”

Leatherwood had impressive workout numbers, but he turned off some people by being late for commitments at the Senior Bowl, one scouting director said. An evaluator said Leatherwood has the athleticism and length of the best tackles in the draft, but he doesn’t show it consistently. “Every game, he does something you question,” he said. Another said he didn’t think Leatherwood was the best fit for the Raiders’ power-blocking scheme, and that he would have been better in a zone-blocking offense.

BRONCOS: The Broncos mostly were praised for taking Surtain even though they passed a quarterback with excellent potential in Fields. “He’s the most well-rounded cornerback I’ve seen in a very long time, and he got one of the highest grades I gave a corner in a while,” one scout said. “He doesn’t have many holes.”

Cornerback wasn’t a pressing need for the Broncos, but a scout said he understood why they would take a cornerback with Patrick Mahomes in the same division. Last season the AFC West had the top-ranked passing team (Chiefs), the No. 6 passing team (Chargers) and the No. 7 passing team (Raiders).

• More than one front office person remarked that area scouts and even scouting directors had less influence than usual over the 2021 draft and were marginalized in the process.

Part of it is because they didn’t have as much valuable information as in a normal year because they couldn’t travel as much during the fall. And part of it is because they had less face time with their teams’ top decision-makers. They usually weren’t physically in their draft rooms, and in some cases, they weren’t even at their team facilities. As a result, general managers, head coaches, and even assistant coaches wielded more influence over this draft than usual.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15659581)
If Denver adds Rodgers, they're right there with KC.

They will have to give away the draft farm or trade 2-3 quality players on their defense to get this done... Also, Do you think Rodgers wants to compete with Mahomes the next 4 years, he has a no-trade clause?

O.city 05-03-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15659587)
They will have to give away the draft farm or trade 2-3 quality players on their defense to get this done... Also, Do you think Rodgers wants to compete with Mahomes the next 4 years, he has a no-trade clause?

Whatever they give up, if they add Rodgers they're right there. He's arguably 1 or 2 with Mahomes right now.

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 09:04 AM

KC

Cleveland, Baltimore, Indy, Buffalo

Throw in Miami as a dark horse with

Parker, Fuller, Waddle, Gesicki and Tua in year 2. Adding Jaelan Phillips to their D.

The Franchise 05-03-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15659592)
KC

Cleveland, Baltimore, Indy, Buffalo

Throw in Miami as a dark horse with

Parker, Fuller, Waddle, Gesicki and Tua in year 2. Adding Jaelan Phillips to their D.

Indy has an often injured QB that’s fumbled the ball 50+ times. And he has no LT. Indy isn’t in the picture at all.

tredadda 05-03-2021 09:07 AM

Teams realized the way to beat KC was to rush four and drop seven into coverage. The idea was to pressure Mahomes and make it harder for receivers to get open in time. They could do this because they did not fear or respect the KC run game. The contenders felt that addressing that gave them the best opportunity to beat KC. What does KC do? They go all in on the OLine which will allow us to run the ball, which minimizes the impact of those pass rushers. They will have to dedicate more personnel to stopping the run which will open up the passing game again which Mahomes, with more time to throw, will exploit.

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 09:10 AM

https://theathletic.com/2562306/2021...-from-1-to-32/

Eagles, Browns, Lions, Bears: Dane Brugler ranks his favorite 2021 NFL Draft classes from 1 to 32

This is my spin on grading the NFL Draft hauls for each team. Instead of handing out letter grades, I power-ranked the 32 clubs based on my favorite draft classes, from best to worst.

Quote:

1. Philadelphia Eagles

2. Cleveland Browns

3. Detroit Lions

4. Chicago Bears

5. Los Angeles Chargers

Favorite pick: Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Call it luck or call it smart process, the Chargers could have been pressured to trade up for the quarterback last year or the left tackle this year. But they stayed put both years and landed Justin Herbert and Slater. Regardless, job well done by Tom Telesco and his staff.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska
I loved what the Chargers did on Day 3, especially with Rumph and Niemann. But the value of Jaimes (pronounced HYME-iss) outside the top-150 picks was outstanding. Nebraska has a vast history of producing offensive lineman, but none started more consecutive games than Jaimes, who should at-worst be a rock-solid swing tackle. With Slater and Jaimes, the Chargers remade the tackle depth chart in one draft.

9. Miami Dolphins

11. Denver Broncos

Favorite pick: Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama
A year ago at this time, the cornerback position was a glaring question mark on the Broncos’ roster, but general manager George Paton quickly turned a weakness into a strength. With his technique, athleticism and instincts, Surtain is ready to compete vs. NFL receivers from day one.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Jamar Johnson, FS, Indiana
The second of two safeties drafted in the fifth round, Johnson will make business decisions as a tackler, and that is an obvious concern. But his ability in coverage could earn him snaps in the nickel as a rookie.

13. Baltimore Ravens

21. Buffalo Bills

23. Kansas City Chiefs

Favorite pick: Creed Humphrey, OG/C, Oklahoma
The Chiefs focused on remaking the offensive line depth chart this offseason and that continued on draft weekend with Humphrey. Kansas City added established interior starters in free agency like Joe Thuney and Austin Blythe, and Humphrey gives them more competition and a long-term starter.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
Smith carried first-round grades from scouts last summer, but up-and-down senior tape and his medical background caused his freefall on draft weekend. Nonetheless, he has a unique blend of size, power and movement skills and if he becomes a starter, that shouldn’t surprise anyone.

30. Las Vegas Raiders

Favorite pick: Trevon Moehrig, FS, TCU
Leading into the draft, Moehrig seemed to be an ideal fit for what the Raiders covet at a position of need. But would they have to draft him at No. 17 to get him? Instead, they traded up to land him and his rangy ball skills at pick No. 43.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Tyree Gillespie, DS, Missouri
They also traded up for Gillespie in the fourth. With safety such a problem area, I don’t blame Las Vegas for using multiple resources to address the issue. I wish Gillespie made more plays on the football, but his play speed and toughness are what you want at the position.

32. Houston Texans

Hoover 05-03-2021 09:13 AM

So last year int he draft those wanting to compete with the Chiefs, all went out and added dynamic WRS. Now after the Super Bowl it's drop a bunch in coverage and be able to rush the QB so teams are adding edge rushers and corners.

The problem is the Chiefs recognize their weak spots better than anybody else. Just wait until next year when we add an EDGE and WR early in the draft.

Can't wait to see these guys on the field!

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 09:16 AM

Denver Broncos

1 (9)
CB Pat Surtain II
Alabama
2 (35)
RB Javonte Williams
North Carolina
3 (98)
OG Quinn Meinerz
Wisconsin-Whitewater
3 (105)
LB Baron Browning
Ohio State
5 (152)
S Caden Sterns
Texas
5 (164)
S Jamar Johnson
Indiana
6 (219)
WR Seth Williams
Auburn
7 (237)
CB Kary Vincent Jr.
LSU
7 (239)
Edge Jonathon Cooper
Ohio State
7 (253)
Edge Marquiss Spencer
Mississippi State

What a roller coaster of a weekend for Broncos fans. Thursday night started out with rumors that they were landing Aaron Rodgers and ended with them passing on Fields. They are probably the most difficult team to evaluate right now, given that we don’t know how the rest of the offseason is going to play out.

If the Broncos think they have a realistic shot of acquiring Rodgers, this draft looks great. Patrick Surtain II was one of the cleanest prospects in the draft. Yes, the Broncos are deep at corner for 2021, but Kyle Fuller and Bryce Callahan are scheduled to be free agents after the season. Surtain has huge upside in Vic Fangio’s scheme. On the other hand, if the Broncos don’t think they have a realistic shot at Rodgers, then passing on Fields is a huge head-scratcher. Denver would have been a great spot for him, given the talent the Broncos have at their skill positions and the fact that Fangio pretty much always produces a competent defense. Teddy Bridgewater is a fine option as a competent starter or backup, but Fields would have been an upside swing worth taking.

As for the rest of their draft, I’m generally not in favor of trading up for running backs, but Javonte Williams is so fun to watch and could be an immediate starter. Denver deserves credit for drafting for volume with 10 overall picks. With Rodgers, they would be an immediate Super Bowl contender. The rest of the roster is underrated. Without Rodgers, they’ll be left to revisit the quarterback situation next offseason and could have regrets about passing on Fields.

Grade: B-

Kansas City Chiefs

2 (58)
LB Nick Bolton
Missouri
2 (63)
OC Creed Humphrey
Oklahoma
4 (144)
Edge Joshua Kaindoh
Florida State
5 (162)
TE Noah Gray
Duke
5 (181)
WR Cornell Powell
Clemson
6 (226)
OG Trey Smith
Tennessee

Their big draft move was trading for offensive tackle Orlando Brown. But Andy Reid and Brett Veach continued to reshape the offensive line with talented center Creed Humphrey in the second round. It’s fair to question whether using a pick on an off-ball linebacker in the second round made sense, given their limited resources, but Nick Bolton was a productive college player and should have an immediate role on the Chiefs’ defense. Clemson wide receiver Cornell Powell was a worthy flier in the fifth round.

The Chiefs didn’t have a first-round pick and selected just six players overall. Yet they very well might have come away with at least two immediate starters. That’s pretty good.

Grade: B

Las Vegas Raiders

1 (17)
OT Alex Leatherwood
Alabama
2 (43)
S Trevon Moehrig
TCU
3 (79)
Edge Malcolm Koonce
Buffalo
3 (80)
S/LB Divine Deablo
Virginia Tech
4 (143)
S Tyree Gillespie
Missouri
5 (167)
CB Nate Hobbs
Illinois
7 (230)
OC Jimmy Morrissey
Pittsburgh

Their decision to draft Alabama offensive lineman Alex Leatherwood at No. 17 was a surprise. There’s nothing wrong with avoiding groupthink, but this is becoming an annual tradition for the Raiders, and it hasn’t exactly worked out in recent years. It might have made sense to trade back even if they ran the risk of losing out on Leatherwood. There would have been other right tackles available.

I like Trevon Moehrig a lot, but it’s worth nothing that the Raiders had to execute one of the costlier trade-ups in the draft to get him. Hybrid safety/linebacker Divine Deablo was a fun third-round pick, but new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will have to show he knows how to deploy him. Overall, this doesn’t look like a bad haul, but the Raiders desperately need some of these secondary picks to hit.

Grade: B-

Los Angeles Chargers

1 (13)
OT Rashawn Slater
Northwestern
2 (47)
CB Asante Samuel Jr.
Florida State
3 (77)
WR Josh Palmer
Tennessee
3 (97)
TE Tre' McKitty
Georgia
4 (118)
Edge Chris Rumph II
Duke
5 (159)
OT Brenden Jaimes
Nebraska
6 (185)
LB Nick Niemann
Iowa
6 (198)
RB Larry Rountree III
Missouri
7 (241)
S Mark Webb
Georgia

Anyone who’s participated in a fantasy draft knows that special feeling you get when a player you love surprisingly falls in your lap. The NFL version of that is what happened with GM Tom Telesco in the first and second rounds.

It was no secret that the Chargers needed a left tackle entering draft weekend. They were able to stay put and take Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater at 13. Then in the second round, they were able to grab playmaking corner Asante Samuel Jr., who should be a perfect fit for Brandon Staley’s zone-heavy scheme.

This is a talented roster without a lot of holes. If Justin Herbert makes a second-year leap, look out. The Chargers could become a trendy Super Bowl pick by the time September rolls around.

Grade: B+

tredadda 05-03-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15659604)

Eagles, Browns, Lions, Bears: Dane Brugler ranks his favorite 2021 NFL Draft classes from 1 to 32

This is my spin on grading the NFL Draft hauls for each team. Instead of handing out letter grades, I power-ranked the 32 clubs based on my favorite draft classes, from best to worst.

One thing I seem to notice about so many of these draft grades are how well these experts score teams that draft high and how low they score teams that draft late. The simple fact is that teams like KC who draft late every round will not get the blue chip prospects that teams drafting Top 10 each round get. If our front office likes the value of what we got then I am content. Not every player will they hit on, but I do believe they will hit on more than the arm chair GMs that rate drafts.

PHOG 05-03-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15659611)

This is a talented roster without a lot of holes. If Justin Herbert makes a second-year leap, look out. The Chargers could become a trendy Super Bowl pick by the time September rolls around.

Grade: B+

NO!?!?!!!! :eek:

:rolleyes:

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15659598)
Indy has an often injured QB that’s fumbled the ball 50+ times. And he has no LT. Indy isn’t in the picture at all.

They outplayed Buffalo in the playoffs. Lost the game when Rivers rag arm had to throw to the sidelines in the final 2 minutes instead of over the middle where they were destroying Buffalo D.

Wentz isn't great but will be equal to or better than Rivers last year under Reich.

Loaded roster with lots of good young players.

displacedinMN 05-03-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 15659533)
The other AFC teams were no threat to the Chiefs last year, and will not be this year. The only real threats are in the NFC.

and Carl Cheffers.

ChiefsCountry 05-03-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 15659523)
I would argue Cleveland has had a great offseason and might be ready for a deep playoff run

They have Baker Mayfield. They are not a threat.

ChiefBlueCFC 05-03-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15659611)

Oh good, it's already starting.

jjchieffan 05-03-2021 10:08 AM

I love what the Chiefs have done on the interior of the line and for starter at LT. But backup LT is question mark. And RT is either Remmers, who is no Schwartz or Niang, who is unknown right now. Hopefully Niang steps up and takes that spot and I guess Remmers can be backup for both tackle spots? Brown/Remmers, Thuney/Allegretti, Humphrey/Blythe, LDT/Long, Niang/Remmers, and Smith inactive every week? Is that how it plays out?

Steron 05-03-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC (Post 15659644)
Oh good, it's already starting.

Every. Single. Year.

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15659693)
I love what the Chiefs have done on the interior of the line and for starter at LT. But backup LT is question mark. And RT is either Remmers, who is no Schwartz or Niang, who is unknown right now. Hopefully Niang steps up and takes that spot and I guess Remmers can be backup for both tackle spots? Brown/Remmers, Thuney/Allegretti, Humphrey/Blythe, LDT/Long, Niang/Remmers, and Smith inactive every week? Is that how it plays out?

Niang will end up there if disaster happens.

I don't know many teams that have 2 starting caliber left tackles. Most carry one and a swing tackle.

Niang is a better option than Cam Erving.

tredadda 05-03-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15659720)
Niang will end up there if disaster happens.

I don't know many teams that have 2 starting caliber left tackles. Most carry one and a swing tackle.

Niang is a better option than Cam Erving.

An old tractor tire is a better option than Erving.

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 15659724)
An old tractor tire is a better option than Erving.

Yes, it is a low bar.

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 10:26 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uMszg77pW4E?start=25" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smithandrew051 05-03-2021 10:31 AM

Chiefs don’t have a true fatal flaw on paper right now.

The secondary was good last year, and it’ll be pretty much the same group. Guys like Sneed and Fenton will only get better.

Linebacker is younger and more talented than last year.

DL should be better with Reed coming aboard and Wharton getting even better.

OL is vastly improved.

TE depth is better.

WR is the same, since Watkins was always hurt anyway. Maybe Powell or Callaway is a productive addition. Maybe Hardman takes a major stride as a receiver.

CEH will be better with an improved OL and a year in the system. Depth is a little thin, but I’m sure we’ll add another vet.

Mahomes is Mahomes. The coaching staff is essentially back again.

Injuries are the only thing that can derail us. The last 2 years have been rough with injuries. Maybe we’re due for some luck.

13 wins is the floor for the regular season IMO.

Hoopsdoc 05-03-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15659620)
They outplayed Buffalo in the playoffs. Lost the game when Rivers rag arm had to throw to the sidelines in the final 2 minutes instead of over the middle where they were destroying Buffalo D.

Wentz isn't great but will be equal to or better than Rivers last year under Reich.

Loaded roster with lots of good young players.

All true, but there’s still the same gaping hole at left tackle, because they didn’t draft one. Well, until the 7th round. A historically deep draft at tackle and they didn’t get one. It’s hard to see that as anything but a failure.

That leaves Sam Tevi(!!!) as the presumptive week one starter. Yikes.

Now, they did add a couple of maulers on the d-line and I’ll never be entirely unsatisfied when they do that but still, they need to protect Wentz.

Mile High Mania 05-03-2021 10:39 AM

It's KC's to lose at this point and for quite some time... Chargers are going to be interesting to see what they can do to improve on last year with Herbert. Definitely an interesting situation there.

Kiimo 05-03-2021 10:51 AM

I'd say 14 wins is the floor with the extra game. Chiefs aren't losing more than 3

KChiefs1 05-03-2021 10:52 AM

17-0

smithandrew051 05-03-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 15659781)
I'd say 14 wins is the floor with the extra game. Chiefs aren't losing more than 3

I was assuming we wouldn’t be playing starters in Week 18. I could see having the 1 seed locked at 13-3 through 16 games.

DaneMcCloud 05-03-2021 10:54 AM

Barring an upstart team like the Chargers, who are really a complete unknown due to their new head coach and staff, or the Dolphins, in which Tua would need to turn into Fran Tarkenton overnight, the biggest threat to the Chiefs going back to the Super Bowl, IMO, is the Cleveland Browns.

The Bills have peaked. Josh Allen crumbles under the weight of carrying a team to a playoff victory and until he proves he can be that guy, he won't be that guy. The Ravens can't throw the ball, Big Ben is 150 years old, the South is in transition, as it always is, and the East is meh.

And while Baker Mayfield is inconsistent, he has the ability to put together a streaky run, so if that happens late in the season and he gets hot, they're going to be a huge handful.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15659789)
Barring an upstart team like the Chargers, who are really a complete unknown due to their new head coach and staff, or the Dolphins, in which Tua would need to turn into Fran Tarkenton overnight, the biggest threat to the Chiefs going back to the Super Bowl, IMO, is the Cleveland Browns.

The Bills have peaked. Josh Allen crumbles under the weight of carrying a team to a playoff victory and until he proves he can be that guy, he won't be that guy. The Ravens can't throw the ball, Big Ben is 150 years old, the South is in transition, as it always is, and the East is meh.

And while Baker Mayfield is inconsistent, he has the ability to put together a streaky run, so if that happens late in the season and he gets hot, they're going to be a huge handful.

If the biggest threat is the Browns, the Chiefs are in REALLY good shape.

smithandrew051 05-03-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659794)
If the biggest threat is the Browns, the Chiefs are in REALLY good shape.

Yeah, if the number 2 team has a question mark at QB...I’ll take that all day.

Best thing possible for the Chiefs is that we never have a Brady-Manning situation in the AFC.

As long as there’s a significant gap between Mahomes and the second best QB, we’re the front runners.

carcosa 05-03-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15659748)
Chiefs don’t have a true fatal flaw on paper right now.

The secondary was good last year, and it’ll be pretty much the same group. Guys like Sneed and Fenton will only get better.

Linebacker is younger and more talented than last year.

DL should be better with Reed coming aboard and Wharton getting even better.

OL is vastly improved.

TE depth is better.

WR is the same, since Watkins was always hurt anyway. Maybe Powell or Callaway is a productive addition. Maybe Hardman takes a major stride as a receiver.

CEH will be better with an improved OL and a year in the system. Depth is a little thin, but I’m sure we’ll add another vet.

Mahomes is Mahomes. The coaching staff is essentially back again.

Injuries are the only thing that can derail us. The last 2 years have been rough with injuries. Maybe we’re due for some luck.

13 wins is the floor for the regular season IMO.

Wonderful post... and true, too!

TEX 05-03-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

IMO it's the Chargers...NOT b/c I think they're Super Bowl contenders, but because they're a division rival that knows KC very well, and b/c they have the 2nd best QB in the division, who looks like he's going to be special. I think they're a fringe playoff team, that may get "lucky" in a playoff matchup with KC.

I think out of the legit contending teams, I'd go with the Browns also. You nailed why I just don't fear the Bills, Ravens or Steelers.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:08 AM

The division is about the same as last year.

1. LA needs to demonstrate they can win close games and stay healthy. The same as every year. They're the closest competition to the Chiefs.

2. Denver and LV doubled down on "strengths" instead of actually improving. Denver seems to want to fortify the roster in places where they already have good players while not addressing some glaring holes. The Raiders blew up a strength to try and make it a strength and their obsession with back-end tweeners on defense is a bit mystifying.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 15659811)
IMO it's the Chargers...NOT b/c I think they're Super Bowl contenders, but because they're a division rival that knows KC very well, and b/c they have the 2nd best QB in the division, who looks like he's going to be special. I think they're a fringe playoff team, that may get "lucky" in a playoff matchup with KC.

I think out of the legit contending teams, I'd go with the Browns also. You nailed why I just don't fear the Bills, Ravens or Steelers.

I think it's the Chargers too because their lack of success is largely due to intangibles - namely close games and injuries.

If they can get over those humps, they'll be a good team. Of course, we say this every year and every year they fail to get past either.

DaneMcCloud 05-03-2021 11:19 AM

Brandon Staley is 38 years old and has been an NFL coach for four years.

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense with the Rams.

I won't consider the Chargers a threat until he proves he can actually coach.

TEX 05-03-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659817)
I think it's the Chargers too because their lack of success is largely due to intangibles - namely close games and injuries.

If they can get over those humps, they'll be a good team. Of course, we say this every year and every year they fail to get past either.

Yep. IF they ever learn how to win the close ones...I think that's where Herbert comes into play. IF he proves to be legit, and I believe that he will, he'll get them over that obstacle. Top QB's do that for their teams.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15659831)

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense.

This is very true.

They're the only team that has the talent to top us, that's all I'm saying. The Broncos and Raiders don't have a good enough QB.

LA doesn't have any real holes in their roster. All of their flaws are outside the lines, if you will.

RunKC 05-03-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659814)

1. LA needs to demonstrate they can win close games and stay healthy. The same as every year. They're the closest competition to the Chiefs.

2. Denver and LV doubled down on "strengths" instead of actually improving. Denver seems to want to fortify the roster in places where they already have good players while not addressing some glaring holes. The Raiders blew up a strength to try and make it a strength and their obsession with back-end tweeners on defense is a bit mystifying.

I think the Broncos and Chargers have the same mindset. They know their defense is good. Everyone saw Tampa Bay’s defense destroy us and now think that a damn good defense and functional offense is good enough.

Those 2 teams will have top 10 defenses but it’s not going to matter with our revamped OL and new weapons.

TEX 05-03-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15659831)

He was a coordinator for only one season before being hired as the new Chargers coach and had the benefit of having Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on his defense.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that take. Could be a huge factor. The Bolts have a good team, just a lot of intangibles.

RunKC 05-03-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

I agree for the most part.

Bills are relying heavily on 2 rookies and a 2nd year DE (Espenesa) to be excellent this year and get consistent pressure on Patrick.

Dolphins are relying heavily on Tua.

Ravens are relying heavily on Lamar and a rookie pass rusher.

Browns have a new better defense with weapons and are relying on Baker.

If I’m betting on who to rely on most of those options, it’s Baker

DaneMcCloud 05-03-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659837)
This is very true.

They're the only team that has the talent to top us, that's all I'm saying. The Broncos and Raiders don't have a good enough QB.

LA doesn't have any real holes in their roster. All of their flaws are outside the lines, if you will.

The Chargers are basically the Cleveland Browns of 2020 but instead of Brandon Staley, it was Kevin Stefanski.

With that said, Stefanski was an offensive coach with a far deeper and better NFL resume than Staley, having been in the NFL since 2006.

The Chargers have been underachieving for decades, despite the fact they've seemingly had a loaded roster, so I have a hard time believing that they'll be anything but a disappointment until proven otherwise.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15659847)
I agree for the most part.

Bills are relying heavily on 2 rookies and a 2nd year DE (Espenesa) to be excellent this year and get consistent pressure on Patrick.

Dolphins are relying heavily on Tua.

Ravens are relying heavily on Lamar and a rookie pass rusher.

Browns have a new better defense with weapons and are relying on Baker.

If I’m betting on who to rely on most of those options, it’s Baker

Yet you're still relying on Baker. So in reality, the AFC isn't all that strong at the top.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15659852)
The Chargers are basically the Cleveland Browns of 2020 but instead of Brandon Staley, it was Kevin Stefanski.

With that said, Stefanski was an offensive coach with a far deeper and better NFL resume than Staley, having been in the NFL since 2006.

The Chargers have been underachieving for decades, despite the fact they've seemingly had a loaded roster, so I have a hard time believing that they'll be anything but a disappointment until proven otherwise.

Oh for sure, I don't disagree.

My argument is more about the fact that it seems to be status quo right now, at least in the AFC West. All we really got was more of the same. None of the teams really re-shaped anything.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15659604)

Problem with these rankings is my favorite pick for the Chiefs was really #31 getting Orlando Brown Jr... That should be part of the equation and easily puts the Chiefs in the top 10...

Chris Meck 05-03-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659855)
Yet you're still relying on Baker. So in reality, the AFC isn't all that strong at the top.

If Mayfield has another strong season, will you finally admit you're wrong?

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 15659865)
If Mayfield has another strong season, will you finally admit you're wrong?

He needs to have more than a strong season. There's a dozen QB's in the league that could do what he does, especially with that supporting cast.

Bowser 05-03-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 15659568)
Cleveland did some good shit and on paper they are pretty complete, I agree. But their QB will always be the worst on the field in any contender-vs-contender matchup, whether it's us, Buffalo, Tampa, Green Bay, etc. And not just marginally, either. Mayfield's a pretty steep drop off after the likes of Mahomes, Rodgers etc.

Mayfield looked like he had us figured out in the second half of our playoff game with them. If Henne hadn't pulled off that signature scramble of his career and Andy hadn't called that ballsy 4th down pass, I was about to get very worried if we had punted back to them.

Bowser 05-03-2021 11:49 AM

Just keep Rodgers out of the AFC West if it goes totally tits up in Green Bay. Rodgers on either Vegas or Denver instantly elevates them to serious threat. Both those teams have solid weapons but are solidly meh at the most important position.

smithandrew051 05-03-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15659907)
Mayfield looked like he had us figured out in the second half of our playoff game with them. If Henne hadn't pulled off that signature scramble of his career and Andy hadn't called that ballsy 4th down pass, I was about to get very worried if we had punted back to them.

I think our offense going completely stagnant sans Mahomes had a lot to do with that.

Once Mahomes went out, they were able to stick with their gameplan. When Mahomes was in, we were pulling away. They would’ve been forced to abandon the run eventually.

Mayfield is fine with the system when things are going well. He isn’t going to engineer a comeback against an elite QB though.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15659913)
Just keep Rodgers out of the AFC West if it goes totally tits up in Green Bay. Rodgers on either Vegas or Denver instantly elevates them to serious threat. Both those teams have solid weapons but are solidly meh at the most important position.

The Raiders secondary still has big question marks.

It's kind of funny. Denver had a former QB that couldn't draft QB's.

LV has a former DB that can't draft DB's.

Bowser 05-03-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15659919)
I think our offense going completely stagnant sans Mahomes had a lot to do with that.

Once Mahomes went out, they were able to stick with their gameplan. When Mahomes was in, we were pulling away. They would’ve been forced to abandon the run eventually.

Mayfield is fine with the system when things are going well. He isn’t going to engineer a comeback against an elite QB though.

Fair points, and even the defense was pressing with Mahomes out.

Bowser 05-03-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659921)
The Raiders secondary still has big question marks.

It's kind of funny. Denver had a former QB that couldn't draft QB's.

LV has a former DB that can't draft DB's.

It makes no sense, lol. Kind of like Mike Singletary being a shitty head coach. How does that even happen??

DaneMcCloud 05-03-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659858)
Oh for sure, I don't disagree.

My argument is more about the fact that it seems to be status quo right now, at least in the AFC West. All we really got was more of the same. None of the teams really re-shaped anything.

Yep, especially considering that the Ravens drafted an Edge player that didn't have a single sack last year and the Bills drafted a guy that didn't even play last season.

Those teams drafted on hopes and prayers.

The Chiefs drafted to fortify a weakness, not reach for players that might be able to help them at some point down the line.

Bowser 05-03-2021 11:56 AM

It's fun watching other AFC teams predicate their drafts on catching us somehow.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15659934)
Yep, especially considering that the Ravens drafted an Edge player that didn't have a single sack last year and the Bills drafted a guy that didn't even play last season.

Those teams drafted on hopes and prayers.

The Chiefs drafted to fortify a weakness, not reach for players that might be able to help them at some point down the line.

At least the Ravens and Bills tried to throw numbers at weaknesses. I don't get what the Broncos did at all.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-03-2021 11:59 AM

We were most vulnerable in the playoffs last year. Oline was beat up in the Divisional Round and the AFC Championship Game. Yet we handled business. Losing Fisher and Patty's toe we couldn't overcome. If we stay healthy we widened any gap from last year... period.

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Bills' fans think Allen is a top 5 QB but the truth is Baker scares me more than Allen.

Spags has the Buffalo offense figured out. Play lot of man coverage, blitz off the slot, and change things from Allen's pre-snap read and Allen stumbles.

Baker is a better playoff QB, Allen can rip up simple zone better.

Ravens just played vanilla man and Allen got uncomfotable.

Allen isn't bad but he is not someone I worry about at all for KC. I was shocked how poorly DC's gameplanned for him last year. If people watch the playoff film the answer's for Buffalo offense are there.

Buffalo's defense is still mediocre.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15659952)
Agreed. Bills' fans think Allen is a top 5 QB but the truth is Baker scares me more than Allen.

Spags has the Buffalo offense figured out. Pay lot of man coverage, blitz off the slot, and change things from Allen's pre-snap read and Allen stumbles.

Baker is a better playoff QB, Allen can rip up simple zone better.

Ravens just played vanilla man and Allen got uncomfotable.

Allen isn't bad but he is not someone I worry about at all for KC. I was shocked how poorly DC's gameplanned for him last year. If people watch the playoff film the answer's for Buffalo offense are there.

Buffalo's defense is still mediocre.

Baker is running an actual pro-style offense with good RB's and good receiving options. Not saying he sucks at all but his situtation is so much better than Buffalo and it's BECAUSE of Josh Allen.

Buffalo's strengths AND weaknesses all revolve around Allen. They play an unconventional offense, it lacks variety and the ability to create balance when opposing defenses get the upper hand. They don't have the ability to keep defenses honest at all. The Browns have a much more varied offense than the Bills do. Sometimes the playoffs evolve into complex chess matches and the Bills just can't do that. Neither can the Ravens for that matter.

They have distinct styles on both offense and defense that for better or worse, can't change.

The Browns are much closer to the Chiefs that they can dictate gameplans but can also respond to changes when the chips are down.

Mile High Mania 05-03-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659814)

Can't really disagree... it's not like Denver was a QB away from making a serious and consistent run at deep playoff appearances. Appears they had a solid draft, which would make for several in a row now and prove to be good for years beyond 2021. They immediately upgraded their RB group as Williams should see quite a bit of action and Gordon is in his last year. They really focused on the secondary in FA and the draft, and with a few guys having 1 year remaining, that was smart to get Surtain and continue building depth.

Offensively, the line has improved considerably since 2019. They are rich at WR and TE, now @ RB too... can Teddy beat out Lock? I don't think that's a big ask quite honestly. Question is, can he be smart in that offense with those players around him and actually put up 24+ points consistently. We.Shall.See

Defensively, lots of talent... and they'll need it with the QB rich schedule they have in 2021.

Denver lost 7 games by 7 or fewer points... Denver only broke 21 points 6 times last year - pathetic. Sutton and Chubb are back, appear to be healthy - that's good.

Lots to prove and the division is far from weak.

htismaqe 05-03-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 15659969)
Can't really disagree... it's not like Denver was a QB away from making a serious and consistent run at deep playoff appearances. Appears they had a solid draft, which would make for several in a row now and prove to be good for years beyond 2021. They immediately upgraded their RB group as Williams should see quite a bit of action and Gordon is in his last year. They really focused on the secondary in FA and the draft, and with a few guys having 1 year remaining, that was smart to get Surtain and continue building depth.

Offensively, the line has improved considerably since 2019. They are rich at WR and TE, now @ RB too... can Teddy beat out Lock? I don't think that's a big ask quite honestly. Question is, can he be smart in that offense with those players around him and actually put up 24+ points consistently. We.Shall.See

Defensively, lots of talent... and they'll need it with the QB rich schedule they have in 2021.

Denver lost 7 games by 7 or fewer points... Denver only broke 21 points 6 times last year - pathetic. Sutton and Chubb are back, appear to be healthy - that's good.

Lots to prove and the division is far from weak.

To me it seems like Denver identified needs at DB and then went a little more than all-in. I guess will see but right now it seems like they actually went a little overboard.

Mile High Mania 05-03-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659978)
To me it seems like Denver identified needs at DB and then went a little more than all-in. I guess will see but right now it seems like they actually went a little overboard.

Like I said, I believe several of them are not in contract past 2021. Nothing wrong with having a deep secondary in today’s NFL and this division.

duncan_idaho 05-03-2021 12:17 PM

If the Chiefs stay healthy-ish (and really that means they get into the playoffs with healthy Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, and Orlando Brown), I don't think it matters what the other AFC teams did.

Agree that the Browns are the primary threat. The pieces they've added on defense - especially JOK - make them a much better matchup with the Chiefs overall. Their CB room is really talented but DOES feature a bunch of guys with big injury question marks.

MahomesMagic 05-03-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15659964)
Baker is running an actual pro-style offense with good RB's and good receiving options. Not saying he sucks at all but his situtation is so much better than Buffalo and it's BECAUSE of Josh Allen.

Buffalo's strengths AND weaknesses all revolve around Allen. They play an unconventional offense, it lacks variety and the ability to create balance when opposing defenses get the upper hand. They don't have the ability to keep defenses honest at all. The Browns have a much more varied offense than the Bills do. Sometimes the playoffs evolve into complex chess matches and the Bills just can't do that. Neither can the Ravens for that matter.

They have distinct styles on both offense and defense that for better or worse, can't change.

The Browns are much closer to the Chiefs that they can dictate gameplans but can also respond to changes when the chips are down.

Buffalo's offense is heavily dependent on getting Allen to throw against his pre-snap read. Daboll has an answer ready for everything.

The problem for Buffalo is when the other team starts switching the looks like Spags likes to do.