ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs WR help this year? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339152)

BuckeyeTheDog 07-22-2021 09:11 PM

Chiefs WR help this year?

Don’t kill me on this even if you disagree.

I know Mahomes is awesome, but I’m concerned about the Chiefs WR corps. While Tyreek Hill and Kielce are witches (and we have been lucky with their health), Sammy Watkins is gone (I know he was hurt a lot). MeCole Hardman has never really developed. The other receivers are “just guys.” They didn’t get a lot of help in the draft.

Who might become available with camp cuts, etc.? Does anyone expect any trades, etc.?

Thoughts?

Bowser 07-22-2021 09:13 PM

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...20150909230617

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-22-2021 09:16 PM

We drafted a rookie WR and TE that are both gonna be studs. Veach already addressed the issue.

Bowser 07-22-2021 09:17 PM

That said, I think Robinson is going to start the year at X or #2. How long he stays there is up to him, and if last season is any indication, it won't be long.

I think they like Hardman as the 3 for the gadget plays and being able to keep him at PR.

Pringle is probably capped out as the #4/KR guy. He has shown he can be clutch, but can he do it against #1 and 2 CBs?

I'm excited for Cornell Powell and hope he dark horse's his way to the X spot. He'll have to show a lot and outperform guys that have been here 3 years, but I'm pulling for him. Everyone past Powell are JAGs.

For us to go bring someone in that gets cut, you have to move someone out from that list above. And I really don't see that happening.

Dunerdr 07-22-2021 09:21 PM

I think the plan is to overwhelm defenses much like they have. They dont have a true X but with Hill, Hardman and Calloway on the field thats a threat to house it from anywhere, then you factor in Kelce. This offense is still ****ing stacked just not the way it was, and with less proven commodities than people want to be comfortable with.

Lprechaun 07-22-2021 09:25 PM

Mahomes will make average receivers stars.

Bowser 07-22-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15751425)
I think the plan is to overwhelm defenses much like they have. They dont have a true X but with Hill, Hardman and Calloway on the field thats a threat to house it from anywhere, then you factor in Kelce. This offense is still ****ing stacked just not the way it was, and with less proven commodities than people want to be comfortable with.

Gah, I keep forgetting about Calloway. Going to watch him and Powell closely in preseason.

And here is the other thing - if the coaches are really as high on Gray as has been said they are because he is running routes like a vet, how often are we going to be in 12 personnel and not need the extra bodies at WR? (I know Andy loves his 4 and 5 wide sets, but still)

RealSNR 07-22-2021 09:31 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kw_OdPInxe0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 07-22-2021 09:31 PM

Hardman will step up. 65 catches. 900 yards

OKchiefs 07-22-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15751421)
That said, I think Robinson is going to start the year at X or #2. How long he stays there is up to him, and if last season is any indication, it won't be long.

I think they like Hardman as the 3 for the gadget plays and being able to keep him at PR.

Pringle is probably capped out as the #4/KR guy. He has shown he can be clutch, but can he do it against #1 and 2 CBs?

I'm excited for Cornell Powell and hope he dark horse's his way to the X spot. He'll have to show a lot and outperform guys that have been here 3 years, but I'm pulling for him. Everyone past Powell are JAGs.

For us to go bring someone in that gets cut, you have to move someone out from that list above. And I really don't see that happening.

**** that. I’ve hated on Hardman constantly, but if he wants to prove every hater like myself wrong then he needs to be more than a ****ing WR3 or gadget type. He has every opportunity now to take over as the top option along with CEH when Hill and Kelce are being doubled.

Robinson is a nobody and has no room being above Hardman in the pecking order if Hardman actually lives up to his draft status.

Dunerdr 07-22-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15751433)
Gah, I keep forgetting about Calloway. Going to watch him and Powell closely in preseason.

And here is the other thing - if the coaches are really as high on Gray as has been said they are because he is running routes like a vet, how often are we going to be in 12 personnel and not need the extra bodies at WR? (I know Andy loves his 4 and 5 wide sets, but still)

I didnt want to include Gray or any rooks just because they are unproven but if Gray is what hes been billed as by some, youve got two "X" types in Kelce and Gray. Let the speed overwhelm elsewhere. Calloway was drafted to be the browns "Cheetah". And i honestly believe they think they can win just with that alone. No defense has an answer for all three at once. Rarely did we get shut down last year without sammy and Hill and Hardman as the threat.

Jamie 07-22-2021 11:40 PM

I'm not a Watkins hater and I think he was better than his stats (when he played), but just in terms of pure production Watkins only had 37 receptions for 421 yards in 10 games last year. It's not like we're replacing a #1 receiver here.

Also I think the fact that we switched Greg Lewis to RB coach says a lot about what we plan to do with those targets.

Bowser 07-22-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 15751513)
I'm not a Watkins hater and I think he was better than his stats (when he played), but just in terms of pure production Watkins only had 37 receptions for 421 yards in 10 games last year. It's not like we're replacing a #1 receiver here.

Also I think the fact that we switched Greg Lewis to RB coach says a lot about what we plan to do with those targets.

Screens and wheel routes. I'm ok with that.

Cosmos 07-23-2021 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15751519)
Screens and wheel routes. I'm ok with that.

I expect Andy to change up and expand the capabilities of the offense with the new personnel to beat the 2 high defensive scheme, and the OL to give #15 another click.

We may transition into a more efficient offense, if Andy incorporates a short game , and gives the OL a chance to move some bodies.

BlackOp 07-23-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15751433)
Gah, I keep forgetting about Calloway.

He has similar stats as Hardman but without Mahomes/Reid....if he can get his head on straight...and that seems like a big if...he's the player I'm expecting to offset the loss of Watkins.

He's got talent...

Dunerdr 07-23-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 15751530)
He has similar stats as Hardman but without Mahomes/Reid....if he can get his head on straight...and that seems like a big if...he's the player I'm expecting to offset the loss of Watkins.

He's got talent...

Agree, initially i wrote him off as camp fodder until i looked a little deeper. There is real talent there, and he looked good with a second year Baker Mayfield on a dogshit Freddie Kitchens team. Scheme and coaching could make him legit. We may have too much of a good thing in the sense that well have 3 guys with very similar skill sets and no true "X" by definition. But i think if any one can make it work its Reid and Mahomes.

ChiefAshhole1056 07-23-2021 01:55 AM

I think Clyde becomes that 3rd target in the offense that most are assuming would go to WR2.

I think this is the year Andy begins to use him like Westbrook 2.0 that was suspected after going in the first round. He had a shortened offseason due to Covid and with a full year to learn the offense it should open up other plays for him, especially from backfield motions to out wide.

He really does become a hell of a chess piece if used correctly.I think the OL will create more 2nd level opportunities for him to shed tackles against. His problem was when he got caught up with the DL. When he was in space he consistently made positive plays and I think that’ll be a priority this year.

Rainbarrel 07-23-2021 02:49 AM

Eligible lineman downfield and a big bowl of oatmeal for you.

Dunerdr 07-23-2021 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 15751546)
Eligible lineman downfield and a big bowl of oatmeal for you.

The real OBJ? Clevlands version never lived up to the first few years billing.

TwistedChief 07-23-2021 04:45 AM

I expect Kielce to cast a spell on opposing teams rendering their defenses useless and allowing MeCoLe to score many uncontested TDs.

RealSNR 07-23-2021 04:53 AM

Are there other witches on the team? We talking real witches, or those stupid fake goth chicks who claim they're witches?

Wisconsin_Chief 07-23-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15751562)
Are there other witches on the team? We talking real witches, or those stupid fake goth chicks who claim they're witches?

Awe man, I dated a chick like that when I was in middle school. She was goth and one day passed me a note saying "I hope this doesn't scare you, but I'm a witch." So next time we hung out I'm like "So can you show me some witchcraft?"

She was like "Well technically I'm a Wiccan, and I don't know any spells yet. I just started."

So I was like, "Neat, do you want to tongue kiss?"

And then we tongue kissed. Never did see any magic, unless you count 13 year old me pitching a tent under my Jnco's magic! Heeeeyoooooooooohhh!!!!!

Anyway, Chiefs are fine at WR.

Skyy God 07-23-2021 05:30 AM

I don’t know the answer to OP’s stupid ass question.

But I do know Pat is a wizard.

Honey Badger is self-explanatory.

chiefzilla1501 07-23-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15751420)
We drafted a rookie WR and TE that are both gonna be studs. Veach already addressed the issue.

I think a lot of people are falling asleep on how unstoppable we'd be if we had a TE2 who can legit play receiver. Not just catch the ball when he's wide open.

ptlyon 07-23-2021 07:52 AM

Is clay still running the hill?

KCJake 07-23-2021 08:04 AM

The Chiefs are concerned about. Otherwise they wouldn't of made the push for JuJu Smith-Schuster

RunKC 07-23-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15751558)
I expect Kielce to cast a spell on opposing teams rendering their defenses useless and allowing MeCoLe to score many uncontested TDs.

Hello. Might I interest you in some Noah Gray hype? Because he’s going to be a similar version of Kelce in some ways and give this offense another wrinkle.

I am telling you guys. Noah Gray is going to be a favorite here within 3 months max

IowaHawkeyeChief 07-23-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 15751431)
Mahomes will make average receivers stars.

^this^

With an improved offensive line, Mahomes will have more time to get through his reads.

TEX 07-23-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15751681)
Hello. Might I interest you in some Noah Gray hype? Because he’s going to be a similar version of Kelce in some ways and give this offense another wrinkle.

I am telling you guys. Noah Gray is going to be a favorite here within 3 months max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7UxI_zMmug

Yep. The kid can play and he's very athletic. Look at the TD catch and run at the 1:25 mark and the fake punt at the 2:05 mark. Impressive. :thumb:

RealSNR 07-23-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15751570)
Awe man, I dated a chick like that when I was in middle school. She was goth and one day passed me a note saying "I hope this doesn't scare you, but I'm a witch." So next time we hung out I'm like "So can you show me some witchcraft?"

She was like "Well technically I'm a Wiccan, and I don't know any spells yet. I just started."

And then we tongue kissed. Never did see any magic, unless you count 13 year old me pitching a tent under my Jnco's magic! Heeeeyoooooooooohhh!!!!!

Did you burn her at your stake?

Rain Man 07-23-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Did you take her on a float trip just to see what would happen?

neech 07-23-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Your parents raised you to be polite, asking the girl if she would like a tongue kiss first.
Kids today don’t have those manners anymore.

Wisconsin_Chief 07-23-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15751852)
Did you burn her at your stake?

I would have gladly let her take a ride on my magic broomstick.

She got fat in high school, though. Fat witches are way less hot.

Wisconsin_Chief 07-23-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neech (Post 15752070)
Your parents raised you to be polite, asking the girl if she would like a tongue kiss first.
Kids today don’t have those manners anymore.

Well, she told me she was a witch. I didn't want to take any chances.

mkp785 07-23-2021 12:41 PM

Laurence Darnell Fitzgerald Jr.

Please and thank you.

Skyy God 07-23-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15752184)

Please and thank you.

You can measure his 40 with a sundial.

Bowser 07-23-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15752184)

Please and thank you.

We should have traded for him 5 years ago

RealSNR 07-23-2021 01:42 PM

Gracie Hunt might be a witch. She's clearly put a spell on all of us!

Wisconsin_Chief 07-23-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15752299)
Gracie Hunt might be a witch. She's clearly put a spell on all of us!

Has anyone ever written a song about a beautiful girl before?

If not, someone should write one about Gracie. She can be the first.

TEX 07-23-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJake (Post 15751674)
The Chiefs are concerned about. Otherwise they wouldn't of made the push for JuJu Smith-Schuster

IMO, it was in the sense that they wanted a sure thing. That's not saying that one of the current WR's can't step up.

RealSNR 07-23-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 15752376)
IMO, it was in the sense that they wanted a sure thing. That's not saying that one of the current WR's can't step up.

Yep. And my timeline could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we were shopping for Juju before Jarran Reed.

What that says to me is, "We've got some cash here. Let's just add a great player to the team."

mkp785 07-23-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15752203)
You can measure his 40 with a sundial.

We don't really need a burner. We have that in spades. We need someone who we know can find the openings in coverage...and above all else we need someone who won't drop the ball.

How nice would it have been to have Fitz in the superbowl when our WRs were bouncing passes off their face masks?

mkp785 07-23-2021 03:13 PM

Also with this Michael Thomas news breaking...the Saints are gonna be trying to scour the league for any available decent WRs. We should try and beat them to the punch if we're gonna grab someone.

RustShack 07-23-2021 03:42 PM

I think Veach is pretty high on Pringle and the rook. Sounds like Mahomes is high on both the rook WR and TE.

Having a better OL likely helps the running game, which in turn helps Mahomes and the receivers. Not to mention the improved OL obviously helping Mahomes and the receivers too.

In58men 07-23-2021 03:59 PM

Dede is still out there

I'm told free agent WR Dede Westbrook is planning to travel Sunday for a visit with the #Seahawks, at this time, per source. Westbrook is still currently in Minnesota

Easy 6 07-23-2021 05:15 PM

Better get used to the idea of rolling with who we have, when you listen to the front office talk about it, it seems pretty clear they're using this year as "heres your chance kid" for all of these second and third year guys who've struggled to get major offensive reps

And of course they seem pretty bullish on Powell as well... so if there's a free agent in our future, they'll be a defensive player IMO

Halfcan 07-23-2021 07:47 PM

Gray, Hardman, Kelce, D Rob, Reek, Powel and Clyde- with Mahomes throwing to them- are about to set some records.

It is going to be a fun year.

scho63 07-23-2021 08:14 PM

Im so glad we finally started a thread about this...I was starting to worry CP was slipping. :doh!:

Dunerdr 07-23-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15752893)
Im so glad we finally started a thread about this...I was starting to worry CP was slipping. :doh!:

We have needed a witch thread for years. Are we bringing Stevie Knicks in for a look?

oldman 07-24-2021 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15751416)

This. Camp hasn't even started. Let's see what we have already on the roster before we count the season as lost. There are a couple other positions that need some help before we start worrying about WRs.

In58men 07-24-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15752869)
Gray, Hardman, Kelce, D Rob, Reek, Powel and Clyde- with Mahomes throwing to them- are about to set some records.

It is going to be a fun year.

Oh okay, so now we’re sleeping on Byron Pringle?

Keep doubting!!!!!

In58men 07-24-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15752620)
Dede is still out there

I'm told free agent WR Dede Westbrook is planning to travel Sunday for a visit with the #Seahawks, at this time, per source. Westbrook is still currently in Minnesota

I'm told free agent WR Dede Westbrook is planning to sign a 1-year deal with the #Vikings on Sunday, per source.

Easy 6 07-24-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15753715)
I'm told free agent WR Dede Westbrook is planning to sign a 1-year deal with the #Vikings on Sunday, per source.

Nice little pickup that won't matter one bit because Kirk Cousins has always lacked that certain something... and it doesn't help that you've got a Kubiak dynasty going on at OC

They're always gonna be hit and miss with Zimmer, he's the definition of a solid coordinator who's in over his head at HC

UK_Chief 07-25-2021 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15753715)

Nickname “the Dede” ?

Chris Meck 07-25-2021 06:53 AM

In order to stay on top, you have to develop talent. In order to do that, they have to actually play.

oldman 07-25-2021 07:32 AM

Exactly, Chris. It doesn't do a bit of good to draft WR after WR or overpay for a FA when you have unexplored talent on the bench. Find out what you have and then address the weak points.

Coochie liquor 07-25-2021 11:59 AM

Really feel like Hardman is gonna step it up this season. Excited to see the new wrinkles we’ve added to the offense. #TAKEITBACK