ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Round 1 targets (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=335935)

staylor26 12-28-2020 01:33 PM

Round 1 potential targets

WR:

Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
Kadarius Toney, Florida
Terrace Marshall, LSU

TE:

Pat Freiermuth, Penn St.

OL:

Alijah Vera-Tucker, T/G, USC
Liam Eichenberg, T, Notre Dame
Jalen Mayfield, T, Michigan
Samuel Cosmi, T, Texas

DE:

Azeez Ojulari, Georgia
Jaelan Phillips, Miami
Jayson Oweh, Penn St.

Chargem 12-28-2020 02:33 PM

I think we (this board) value picking another linebacker higher up much more than the Chiefs do/will.

If I remember correctly, Hitchens contract pretty much has no out for the next 2 years until it ends, hopefully Gay is on the field for 95% of snaps next year so unless the Chiefs are going to play a ton of base there won't be many snaps for another LB?

I personally think they might target a LB in the 3rd/4th/5th instead.

staylor26 12-28-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 15429123)
I think we (this board) value picking another linebacker higher up much more than the Chiefs do/will.

If I remember correctly, Hitchens contract pretty much has no out for the next 2 years until it ends, hopefully Gay is on the field for 95% of snaps next year so unless the Chiefs are going to play a ton of base there won't be many snaps for another LB?

I personally think they might target a LB in the 3rd/4th/5th instead.

I don’t expect them to take a LB in the 1st either, but it’s still possible considering it’s still one of our biggest needs for the future.

Collins or Bolton just might be BPA.

The Chiefs, under Reid, have a history of drafting for future departures the following year. Remember, even CEH wasn’t supposed to be the starter this year. Replacing Hitchens is a lot on the mental side, so it’s possible that they could want to get ahead of it and draft their guy a year early. That way when Hitchens is gone, you have 2 good young LB’s. You could also play Gay and the rookie a lot more in subs so we don’t have to see Niemann on the field anymore and avoid Hitchens in coverage as much as possible.

Again, I agree that it’s unlikely, but it’s absolutely possible.

O.city 12-28-2020 03:10 PM

If Bolton is there, I'd take him. He's a stud.

I really like Humphrey and Davis the more I've read about them.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2020 04:03 PM

Najee Harris too

RunKC 12-28-2020 04:26 PM

Creed Humphrey looks like an Andy Reid fantasy. He’s really big and very fast for his size. Kinda reminds me of Mitch Morse without the injury concern.

Not sure we’d take him so early but I wouldn’t be mad at it

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15429344)
Creed Humphrey looks like an Andy Reid fantasy. He’s really big and very fast for his size. Kinda reminds me of Mitch Morse without the injury concern.

Not sure we’d take him so early but I wouldn’t be mad at it

As I said before, the Chiefs needs are different because of the Mahomes investment to amplify his success and keeping him upright.

Thus,OL, and RB are needs higher on the list because of the Chiefs generational QB who can utilize these assets in comparison to a "good" QB where it would be wasted.

We need the Half-Billion Dollar Man to be secure and confident

duncan_idaho 12-28-2020 06:36 PM

I would include Chris Olave and Terrance Marshall, Jr. in the WR group.

Marshall is really interesting... he's a 6'3" receiver, but LSU has used him outside AND in the slot, and he separates really well for a guy that size.

Olave is a separation machine (very Terry McLaurin) but is pretty skinny without much room for adding muscle mass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15429305)
Najee Harris too

I don't see any way they invest another Rd 1 pick in a RB this soon after Clyde. Especialy Najee Harris, who is a stiff, upright, traditional RB.

staylor26 12-28-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15429607)
I would include Chris Olave and Terrance Marshall, Jr. in the WR group.

Marshall is really interesting... he's a 6'3" receiver, but LSU has used him outside AND in the slot, and he separates really well for a guy that size.

Olave is a separation machine (very Terry McLaurin) but is pretty skinny without much room for adding muscle mass.

I don't see any way they invest another Rd 1 pick in a RB this soon after Clyde. Especialy Najee Harris, who is a stiff, upright, traditional RB.

I really like Olave and Marshall too, but I feel like if we go WR in round 1 it will be because one of those other guys fell into our lap. Otherwise, I think there will be an EDGE, IOL, or LB available that we’d take over those 2.

I’d be good with either of those 2 though. Even better if we could get them after trading down a few spots.

duncan_idaho 12-28-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15429612)
I really like Olave and Marshall too, but I feel like if we go WR in round 1 it will be because one of those other guys fell into our lap. Otherwise, I think there will be an EDGE, IOL, or LB available that we’d take over those 2.

I’d be good with either of those 2 though. Even better if we could get them after trading down a few spots.

Yeah. All comes down to grade.

If you have Marshall and Olave as top 30 players and an IOL as a top 50 player, hard to see them sticking at 32 and still taking the IOL.

staylor26 12-28-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15429624)
Yeah. All comes down to grade.

If you have Marshall and Olave as top 30 players and an IOL as a top 50 player, hard to see them sticking at 32 and still taking the IOL.

Agreed. I’d probably have both of those guys in that 30-40 range. Marshall is a little higher because of his size, which I think would compliment Hill and Hardman perfectly. Olave is a great fit too though.

Toney is climbing up my board every time I watch more of him. He is really intriguing with his RAC ability. He’s like the Kamara of WR’s the way he glides around the field and just bounces off tackles so uniquely.

duncan_idaho 12-28-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15429630)
Agreed. I’d probably have both of those guys in that 30-40 range. Marshall is a little higher because of his size, which I think would compliment Hill and Hardman perfectly. Olave is a great fit too though.

Toney is climbing up my board every time I watch more of him. He is really intriguing with his RAC ability. He’s like the Kamara of WR’s the way he glides around the field and just bounces off tackles so uniquely.

Toney probably fits the system the best. He’s 5/11-6 and super twitched up. He’s also thick and just explosive. I think he’ll be able to handle press man coverage and would be really dangerous doing a lot of the stuff Watkins does.

He’s a little injury prone, though, it seems.

In58men 12-28-2020 07:12 PM

Been on the Chris Olave wagon for awhile now. He needs to be discussed more.

Stryker 12-28-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15429429)
As I said before, the Chiefs needs are different because of the Mahomes investment to amplify his success and keeping him upright.

Thus,OL, and RB are needs higher on the list because of the Chiefs generational QB who can utilize these assets in comparison to a "good" QB where it would be wasted.

We need the Half-Billion Dollar Man to be secure and confident

This - we have to protect "The Chosen One" - it is the way.

In58men 12-28-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 15429676)

There’s a TON of OL depth in this draft, no need to take one in round 1.

LDT and Niang possibly returning, I’m sure Chiefs will have more clarification closer to draft time. The pandemic “could” get worse, NFL might have players opting out earlier this offseason if given the opportunity. This draft is going to be very unpredictable.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 15429676)

https://media.tenor.com/images/adacb...233b/tenor.gif

Dante84 12-28-2020 08:49 PM

Really liked Toney’s tape; definitely some Cheetah-like tendencies in the way he moves and cuts.

Also liked Moore’s tape, although not sure about Round 1 because of his lack of size, but in Veach we trust. I saw a lot of CEH in the way that he breaks through contact and maintains balance.

Stryker 12-28-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15429687)
There’s a TON of OL depth in this draft, no need to take one in round 1.

LDT and Niang possibly returning, I’m sure Chiefs will have more clarification closer to draft time. The pandemic “could” get worse, NFL might have players opting out earlier this offseason if given the opportunity. This draft is going to be very unpredictable.

I never said pick OL in the first round - just consider "free agent options" and keep it in mind during the draft "process". Just THINK about it.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2020 09:48 PM

If Veach selects an OL in the 1st or 2nd then that player would be Rashawn Slater due to his OL postion versatility

Stryker 12-28-2020 09:52 PM

LB, OT, WR, CB, S, TE and G no particular order. Build the line on offense and continue to supplement the D. Seeing a BPA in the draft each round. Veach will handle the aftermath.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 15430190)
LB, OT, WR, CB, S, TE and G no particular order. Build the line on offense and continue to supplement the D. Seeing a BPA in the draft each round. Veach will handle the aftermath.

Brett is relying on metrics or SPARQ concerning the defensive side more because of the Breeland Speaks bust

kccrow 12-28-2020 10:01 PM

Put him in my latest mock but I have to champion Hamsah Nasirildeen here at SS/WLB. He's a guy that can take over the Sorensen role in this defense and improve it, letting Honey Badger be even more of a roamer/slot guy. He provides so much versatility for Spags in that he can cover in deep sets or come down to play close to the LOS and lay the hammer. He's athletic, big, and a playmaker. I think he needs to be in the conversation.

Dante84 12-29-2020 01:38 AM

Jesus, I just watched Terrace Marshall Jr’s tape... he would be sooo good in this offense.

He helps his QB by getting open on scramble drills multiple times.
He has break away speed to go with his huge frame and big wingspan.
He has that post-catch wiggle that Kelce is so good at; secure the ball and make the tackler miss on the first move.

I love this guy and the aforementioned Toney for our offense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d8WR9ngPT40" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho 12-29-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15430463)
Jesus, I just watched Terrace Marshall Jr’s tape... he would be sooo good in this offense.

He has that post-catch wiggle that Kelce is so good at; secure the ball and make the tackler miss on the first move.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d8WR9ngPT40" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, and what really stands out for me on Marshall is how LSU used him. So many WR highlight clips now are bubble screen and make a play.

Marshall is running a bunch of different routes, from all over the formation, inside and out.

He has strong hands and can catch/snatch outside his frame.

He does well on scramble drills.

He was productive with like 4 different QBs this year.

Dante84 12-29-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15430533)
Yeah, and what really stands out for me on Marshall is how LSU used him. So many WR highlight clips now are bubble screen and make a play.

Marshall is running a bunch of different routes, from all over the formation, inside and out.

He has strong hands and can catch/snatch outside his frame.

He does well on scramble drills.

He was productive with like 4 different QBs this year.

TDN has him as the 25th overall prospect, which is definitely in range. My fear is that if he blows up during the combine he might climb. Wonder what his 40 and 3-cone will be...

duncan_idaho 12-29-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15430797)
TDN has him as the 25th overall prospect, which is definitely in range. My fear is that if he blows up during the combine he might climb. Wonder what his 40 and 3-cone will be...

I would guess he runs in the 4.5s, which may slip his stock a bit. He doesn’t look like a 4.3-4.4 guy on tape.

staylor26 12-29-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15430178)
If Veach selects an OL in the 1st or 2nd then that player would be Rashawn Slater due to his OL postion versatility

There’s a lot of buzz that some teams have Slater as the #1 OT over Sewell.

I don’t believe he goes first, but I also don’t think there’s any way he makes it to our pick.

staylor26 12-29-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15430233)
Put him in my latest mock but I have to champion Hamsah Nasirildeen here at SS/WLB. He's a guy that can take over the Sorensen role in this defense and improve it, letting Honey Badger be even more of a roamer/slot guy. He provides so much versatility for Spags in that he can cover in deep sets or come down to play close to the LOS and lay the hammer. He's athletic, big, and a playmaker. I think he needs to be in the conversation.

Very intriguing player that I really like on day 2, just not sure that he’s a 1st rounder at this point, but I could definitely see him getting that buzz after the combine.

Urc Burry 12-29-2020 02:08 PM

Would love Rondale. The “another short receiver” jokes would be coming in. But he’s a yac machine. He’s a rb playing receiver after the ball. All while being a good route runner. Could be wrong, but don’t think he’s going to blow up the combine with a 4.3 or anything. But he is plenty fast

duncan_idaho 12-29-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15431225)
There’s a lot of buzz that some teams have Slater as the #1 OT over Sewell.

I don’t believe he goes first, but I also don’t think there’s any way he makes it to our pick.

Slater is probably a better player right now but isn’t likely to get much better, if any. He’s a pretty finished product.

Sewell, I think, is still only 19 and has an enormous upside as a result.

Slater would be a good plug and play for a team that’s close and needs a T who can contribute right away. If you’re building towards the future, Sewell is clear and easy.

staylor26 12-29-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15431397)
Slater is probably a better player right now but isn’t likely to get much better, if any. He’s a pretty finished product.

Sewell, I think, is still only 19 and has an enormous upside as a result.

Slater would be a good plug and play for a team that’s close and needs a T who can contribute right away. If you’re building towards the future, Sewell is clear and easy.

Agreed.

I think Slater is the #2 T off the board to a team like the Cowboys or Chargers.

BryanBusby 12-30-2020 06:55 PM

I don't think Bolton is worth a high pick

duncan_idaho 12-30-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 15433649)
I don't think Bolton is worth a high pick

He’s a top 30-50 player in the draft as it stands now.

If that doesn’t qualify as a high pick, cool.

BryanBusby 12-30-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15433728)
He’s a top 30-50 player in the draft as it stands now.

If that doesn’t qualify as a high pick, cool.

I think he's going to drop during the process. He's short and doesn't really look like a great athlete. Didn't finish strong either.

Looks closer to Day 3 than Top 30.

For a true coverage linebacker, I think Jabril Cox is super underrated. Would be a fantastic fit in this Defense.

duncan_idaho 12-30-2020 07:55 PM

Round 1 targets

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 15433733)
I think he's going to drop during the process. He's short and doesn't really look like a great athlete. Didn't finish strong either.

His physical measurements are not going to pop out, so I could see that driving him down a bit.

He played through injury the last few games and had no DL in front of him. He was fighting through OL all game, every game, from Arkansas on.

I think he’ll eventually end up in the 2nd round and, if in the right scheme, provide really nice value.

Tribal Warfare 12-30-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 15433733)

Keep in mind, on the defensive side Veach is becoming more like Dorsey and is leaning more on analytics & metrics. Thus, he's drafting players that are better tested athletes

BryanBusby 12-30-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15433742)
His physical measurements are not going to pop out, so I could see that driving him down a bit.

He played through injury the last few games and had no DL in front of him. He was fighting through OL all game, every game, from Arkansas on.

I think he’ll eventually end up in the 2nd round and, if in the right scheme, provide really nice value.

If he lands in the right place, yeah I think it's possible. I don't think that right place is here though.

I would put Alex Leatherwood on the list for OL. Can move and good at pass blocking.

lostcause 12-30-2020 11:18 PM

Toney would be a classic fit in this offense.

RunKC 01-18-2021 04:30 PM

Chris Olave going back to school

Hoover 01-18-2021 05:51 PM

Wow. No Indy combine. Advantage Veach

staylor26 01-18-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15489257)
Chris Olave going back to school

Stupid. He was starting to look like a consensus 1st rounder.

htismaqe 01-18-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15430463)

Marshall is my #1 choice.

duncan_idaho 01-18-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15490244)
Marshall is my #1 choice.

Yeah, I've come around to him being my top guy, too.

He did fine doing dirty work stuff at LSU when they had Chase and Jefferson in front of him on the target priority. He could handle being the third wheel behind Kelce and Hill (Or even option 4 behind them and CEH).

staylor26 01-19-2021 01:36 AM

Updated to add Marshall and Leatherwood

threebag 01-19-2021 08:16 AM

We’re poised to take a fatty.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 15490640)
We’re poised to take a fatty.

In the 2nd or 3rd.

The Franchise 01-19-2021 09:50 AM

He isn’t going to be there.....but that doesn’t stop me from hoping we have a chance at Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

RunKC 01-19-2021 09:59 AM

It will be a pass rusher, DB or offensive weapon.

O.city 01-19-2021 10:02 AM

I think DE is gotta be up there. Maybe a T if one falls or something.

Hardman is really electric with the ball in his hands. He needs more touches next year and you've gotta let him sink or swin with that spot.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15490789)

I think so too.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490796)
I think DE is gotta be up there. Maybe a T if one falls or something.

Hardman is really electric with the ball in his hands. He needs more touches next year and you've gotta let him sink or swin with that spot.

Robinson and Watkins are both FA. We still need a WR regardless of what Hardman does.

O.city 01-19-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15490801)
Robinson and Watkins are both FA. We still need a WR regardless of what Hardman does.

Let Pringle do it.

We've always heard about how hard WR is to learn in Andy's system. I don't think spending on a free agent WR will be ideal, unless it's a lesser dude like Willie Snead or something.

The Franchise 01-19-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490868)
Let Pringle do it.

We've always heard about how hard WR is to learn in Andy's system. I don't think spending on a free agent WR will be ideal, unless it's a lesser dude like Willie Snead or something.

That still gives us three WRs. Unless you’re going to have Dieter and Fortson/Kemp round out the top 5.....we still need another WR.

O.city 01-19-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15490886)
That still gives us three WRs. Unless you’re going to have Dieter and Fortson/Kemp round out the top 5.....we still need another WR.

I'd probably keep Robinson but you could get another one in the draft. doesn't have to be in the first.

staylor26 01-19-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15490789)

I honestly don’t see a DB in the 1st. It’s already the strength of this defense and they’ve shown the ability to find guys on days 2 and 3.

If the safety group were better at the top, I could maybe see a versatile safety there, but there doesn’t even look to be a sure 1st rounder in the entire group.

With that said, I almost added Jevon Holland because I could see him possibly ending up a 1st when it’s all said and done, but that’s about it.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15490921)
I honestly don’t see a DB in the 1st. It’s already the strength of this defense and they’ve shown the ability to find guys on days 2 and 3.

If the safety group were better at the top, I could maybe see a versatile safety there, but there doesn’t even look to be a sure 1st rounder in the entire group.

With that said, I almost added Jevon Holland because I could see him possibly ending up a 1st when it’s all said and done, but that’s about it.

I think they'll be looking for somebody to replace Sorenson soon. A DB/S in that mold.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490868)
Let Pringle do it.

No. Pringle is where he is for a reason. If he was a guy that could contribute, he would be.

He's behind not only Hardman but also Robinson.

If both Robinson and Watkins are gone, they need new blood. Pringle is a backup.

staylor26 01-19-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490899)
I'd probably keep Robinson but you could get another one in the draft. doesn't have to be in the first.

It doesn’t have to be the in the 1st, but I think the value will be there at WR (and DE) in the 1st.

Those are the 2 positions I’m focused on there based on what could/should be available.

Either way, I think you’re taking a WR before day 3.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490899)

You really want to run out there with Hill, Hardman, and then a combination of Pringle, Robinson, and a late round draft pick?

Come on man, think about this a bit.

The only sure way to protect Patrick Mahomes is to get the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible.

staylor26 01-19-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15490926)
I think they'll be looking for somebody to replace Sorenson soon. A DB/S in that mold.

I do as well. Just don’t see it in the 1st.

O.city 01-19-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15490928)
No. Pringle is where he is for a reason. If he was a guy that could contribute, he would be.

He's behind not only Hardman but also Robinson.

If both Robinson and Watkins are gone, they need new blood. Pringle is a backup.

As long as Hill and Kelce are here, they're all gonna be fighting for table scraps as those two will and should suck up targets. Hardman needs more, but he should get them next year I'd think as it's sink or swim time.

staylor26 01-19-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490936)
As long as Hill and Kelce are here, they're all gonna be fighting for table scraps as those two will and should suck up targets. Hardman needs more, but he should get them next year I'd think as it's sink or swim time.

I just want to make teams pay for defending us the way they do.

Year 3 Hardman, year 2 CEH, improvements on the OL, and a rookie WR like Toney or Marshall would truly make this offense unstoppable.

O.city 01-19-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15490971)
I just want to make teams pay for defending us the way they do.

Year 3 Hardman, year 2 CEH, improvements on the OL, and a rookie WR like Toney or Marshall would truly make this offense unstoppable.

I'm just not sure they'll be able to step right in with the offense being the way it is. I'd be fine either way but I'd probably look at someone in FA as a WR.

staylor26 01-19-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15490994)
I'm just not sure they'll be able to step right in with the offense being the way it is. I'd be fine either way but I'd probably look at someone in FA as a WR.

If Hardman, as raw as he was, was able to get on the field and be productive as a rookie, I don’t see any reason one of those guys can’t.

I’m with you that it doesn’t have to be in the 1st though. I’d be just as good with Jaelan Phillips and a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. I just look at a team like Pittsburgh and the way they draft/develop WR’s and that’s the model I want to follow.

My biggest argument for it being in the 1st is simply value/BPA.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15491030)
If Hardman, as raw as he was, was able to get on the field and be productive as a rookie, I don’t see any reason one of those guys can’t.

I’m with you that it doesn’t have to be in the 1st though. I’d be just as good with Jaelan Phillips and a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. I just look at a team like Pittsburgh and the way they draft/develop WR’s and that’s the model I want to follow.

My biggest argument for it being in the 1st is simply value/BPA.

It depends on who falls because it absolutely is about value and BPA. WR and DE would be my top 2 position targets because of that and where the talent is in this draft.

I know people are desperate to upgrade the o-line but this draft the value is really between mid-2nd and the end of the 3rd. We could maybe get TWO starters if we're patient.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 12:04 PM

And a guy like Marshall, out of LSU's WR factory, absolutely could play right away.

staylor26 01-19-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15491078)
It depends on who falls because it absolutely is about value and BPA. WR and DE would be my top 2 position targets because of that and where the talent is in this draft.

I know people are desperate to upgrade the o-line but this draft the value is really between mid-2nd and the end of the 3rd. We could maybe get TWO starters if we're patient.

Yea ideally I think you grab a C somewhere on day 2, and then draft a G, or T with G versatility, on day 3.

duncan_idaho 01-19-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

But you can't fall into the trap the Packers fell into ... where you decide you have enough weapons and stop re-stocking the candy shop for your generational QB.

If the Chiefs were to add Toney or Marshall, they'd be able to - at worst - find ways to use them Year 1. And they'd be ramping up to full steam in Reid's system by Year 2 and Year 3. Kelce and Hill are going to eventually start declining. Best to have the next star ready and raring to go at that point.

DaneMcCloud 01-19-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15491564)
Kelce and Hill are going to eventually start declining. Best to have the next star ready and raring to go at that point.

Kelce, maybe. Hill? Dude is only 26 and with his speed, it'll be a long, long, long time before he begins to decline.

I mean, look at Emmanuel Sanders. The dude is 33 years old and is still putting up 750-800 yards or more per season.

DaneMcCloud 01-19-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs aren't going to have any money in order to get a game changing WR in Free Agency.

Plus, the list of Free Agent WR's in 2021 is pretty much garbage, unless they decide to take a risk on a guy that's only worth Vet Minimum.

If that's the case, they'd be better off keeping Robinson because at least the Chiefs know his strengths and weaknesses.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...wide-receiver/

htismaqe 01-19-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

But you can't fall into the trap the Packers fell into ... where you decide you have enough weapons and stop re-stocking the candy shop for your generational QB.

If the Chiefs were to add Toney or Marshall, they'd be able to - at worst - find ways to use them Year 1. And they'd be ramping up to full steam in Reid's system by Year 2 and Year 3. Kelce and Hill are going to eventually start declining. Best to have the next star ready and raring to go at that point.

Exactly, the Packers should be a cautionary tale for every Chiefs fan. Aaron Rodgers is 37 years old and has been to ONE Super Bowl.

O.city 01-19-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

For sure. I've got no problem always drafting and developing WR's and TE's and such. But I dont' think you have to continually throw high rounders at them as long as you've got this staff. They can develop guys.

O.city 01-19-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15491577)
The Chiefs aren't going to have any money in order to get a game changing WR in Free Agency.

Plus, the list of Free Agent WR's in 2021 is pretty much garbage, unless they decide to take a risk on a guy that's only worth Vet Minimum.

If that's the case, they'd be better off keeping Robinson because at least the Chiefs know his strengths and weaknesses.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...wide-receiver/

They don't need game changers. They need reliable and solid. Someone like Zach Pascal or Willie Snead

DaneMcCloud 01-19-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15491777)
They don't need game changers. They need reliable and solid. Someone like Zach Pascal or Willie Snead

Pascal has only been in the league for 3 years so he's not going to be available.

Snead is nearly 30 years old and I doubt the Chiefs will shell out $5 million per or whatever his asking price may be when they're going to be in Scramble Mode once the salary cap number has been solidified.

staylor26 01-19-2021 04:42 PM

Sign Chris Conley AND draft a WR somewhere in the first 2 days.

htismaqe 01-19-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15491777)

Baloney.

Reliable and solid players gets you a reliable and solid offense that can't win championships.

See 1989-1999, 2001-2006, and 2013-2016.

This team needs playmakers, period.

Chris Meck 01-19-2021 06:54 PM

I will totally get behind whatever Veach decides, but my personal preference would be leaning towards a DE in round 1. Of course, we don't know how it shakes out and what have you, but that would be my preference. I think there are a couple of good options that seem like they might be there.

O.city 01-19-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15492131)
Baloney.

Reliable and solid players gets you a reliable and solid offense that can't win championships.

See 1989-1999, 2001-2006, and 2013-2016.

This team needs playmakers, period.

In free agency this year, they need some solid and realizable wrs. Find your stars in the draft

RunKC 01-19-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15490931)
It doesn’t have to be the in the 1st, but I think the value will be there at WR (and DE) in the 1st.

Those are the 2 positions I’m focused on there based on what could/should be available.

Either way, I think you’re taking a WR before day 3.

Yeah I’d like a DE and WR in the first 2 rds. It will be time to move on from Sammy and Frank soon

duncan_idaho 01-19-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15491572)
Kelce, maybe. Hill? Dude is only 26 and with his speed, it'll be a long, long, long time before he begins to decline.

I mean, look at Emmanuel Sanders. The dude is 33 years old and is still putting up 750-800 yards or more per season.

Yeah, I think Hill will age well. Main thing is keeping the pipeline of elite weapons pumping. Given the time it takes a WR to get up to speed in this system.. you need to think a few years ahead, IMO.

Now, maybe you can snag a guy like Marquez Stevenson a little later in the draft and develop him. Someone with the raw tools and upside.

I won’t complain if they take a T or DE at 32. I would be excited about Jaelan Phillips for sure. A T like Teven Jenkins or even Alijah Vera-Tucker (who can play LT, Rt, or G) would be a boon.