ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Onside kick discussion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=350350)

Mecca 09-26-2023 01:00 PM

Onside kick discussion

I brought this up in the MNF thread so I assume it wasn't seen by many.

Teams are going to have to try something different the way onside kicks are done now the odds of recovery is basically zero.

I proposed the idea of the kicker just drilling it as hard as he possibly can right at one of the upmen, no way dude is catching it then you get a live ball deflection.

Any other ideas out there?

LoneWolf 09-26-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17131478)

Never be behind at the end of a game where an onside kick is necessary.

ptlyon 09-26-2023 01:10 PM

There's always 13 seconds

Hoover 09-26-2023 01:12 PM

Honestly - I'd get one of these female college kickers. Would probably be the best approach

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYgj3z5M3e4?si=Ngu1lScZ7dDYTTnp" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaFace 09-26-2023 01:13 PM

I don't really think there's much that a team can do at this point. Any changes would have to be with the rules. I'm honestly not entirely convinced it's an issue, though. Sure, they're fun when it works, but arguably if you're in the position where you're resorting to that, you probably don't deserve to win anyway.

RunKC 09-26-2023 01:16 PM

They need to eliminate the damn thing entirely. It's not only not safe but it's like the old FG attempt. The play is useless bc it almost never works.

Replace it with one of the following:

1. 55 yard FG to get the ball at own 25 ~ opposing team picks which side of the field the kick occurs.
2. Down and 10 from their own 5 yard line. If you get at least 10 yards you get 1st and 10 with the chance to go 85 yards to score

Mecca 09-26-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17131501)
They need to eliminate the damn thing entirely. It's not only not safe but it's like the old FG attempt. The play is useless bc it almost never works.

Replace it with one of the following:

1. 55 yard FG to get the ball at own 25 ~ opposing team picks which side of the field the kick occurs.
2. Down and 10 from their own 5 yard line. If you get at least 10 yards you get 1st and 10 with the chance to go 85 yards to score

Most NFL kickers can drain a 55 yarder today without an issue.

wazu 09-26-2023 01:19 PM

I do like the idea of just trying to drill somebody with the ball. Even if it doesn't work it's kind of a nice "**** you" to end the game on.

Dante84 09-26-2023 01:22 PM

Option 1 - standard onside kick scrum
Option 2 - bounce it high, or find a way to lift the ball super high on the initial kick, and treat it like a hail mary.
Option 3 - aim for a pocket of space beyond the initial wave of guys and have your fastest player sprint to it.
Option 4 - blast the kick off of a guy and hope for a ricochet.
Option 5 - if they leave a gap in the middle, have your kicker pooch it to himself like Macafee did.

Not sure there are other options.

Old Dog 09-26-2023 01:26 PM

Regular kickoff goes through the uprights you can keep the ball on your own 10 starting with a 2nd down?

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-26-2023 01:31 PM

I like setting up for an onside, then popping it up too deep for the hands team to catch, but too short for the deep man to fair catch. Imagine hitting a flop shot in golf, but as a kick, slicing across and underneath the tee.

Chargem 09-26-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17131478)
I brought this up in the MNF thread so I assume it wasn't seen by many.

Teams are going to have to try something different the way onside kicks are done now the odds of recovery is basically zero.

I proposed the idea of the kicker just drilling it as hard as he possibly can right at one of the upmen, no way dude is catching it then you get a live ball deflection.

I've thought about the "drill it at them" strategy before, I think someone tried it once against the Chiefs and the guy in the center of the field basically played dodge ball, it was pretty impressive.

The only other option is some kind of very lofted chip shot, try and get 2 seconds of hang time but with the ball only going a minimal distance and enough time to make it a jump ball for your own team?

Are you allowed a drop kick?

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-26-2023 01:35 PM

Also, each team is allowed one flashbang to use per kickoff, per year.

Rain Man 09-26-2023 01:38 PM

They should change the rules where a team can declare an onside kick, which would invalidate fair catches. If the kick then travels more than 20 yards without being touched, it's a 15 yard penalty from where it's recovered.

That would then let a team kick a ball really short and high, essentially turning it into a jump ball.

Oddly, that might increase the recovery too high for the kicking team because it would be 50/50.

Rain Man 09-26-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17131497)
Honestly - I'd get one of these female college kickers. Would probably be the best approach

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYgj3z5M3e4?si=Ngu1lScZ7dDYTTnp" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One short kick for a woman, one long kick for womankind.