ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Cutting Cable. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319693)

DJ's left nut 04-05-2019 09:55 AM

I think I'm gonna go with Youtube TV.

I can have Fiber run to my house in the next 30-60 days. I could get a Gig/Second speeds for about $70/mo if I pre-pay for 2 years, which is just comically cheap. But I'll never come anywhere close to using that so I'm gonna do 300 MB/S for about $40/mo, which I'll also never come close to using.

Youtube TV is gonna have everything I want except the Science channel and History Channel. History has gotten pretty shitty these days and most anything I used to watch on there can be found on AHC. Moreover, Netflix has good history documentaries anyway. Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

We'll see how it goes.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 14195439)
As much as I like the "out of town" feel of watching a hotel room TV (with local news), I generally pack my Roku.

I've been known to pack the FireStick, but since I don't use it very often, and them usually only to find a movie I can't get on GF, I'm not sure the local TV is much more foreign to me than the FireStick when compared to what I use 99% of the time.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14195454)
I think I'm gonna go with Youtube TV.

I can have Fiber run to my house in the next 30-60 days. I could get a Gig/Second speeds for about $70/mo if I pre-pay for 2 years, which is just comically cheap. But I'll never come anywhere close to using that so I'm gonna do 300 MB/S for about $40/mo, which I'll also never come close to using.

Youtube TV is gonna have everything I want except the Science channel and History Channel. History has gotten pretty shitty these days and most anything I used to watch on there can be found on AHC. Moreover, Netflix has good history documentaries anyway. Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

We'll see how it goes.

So is that $40 (ISP) + $40 (YT-TV) + $10 (NetFlix) = $90 a month? Or are you getting YT-TV and Netflix for less than that?

DJ's left nut 04-05-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14195523)
So is that $40 (ISP) + $40 (YT-TV) + $10 (NetFlix) = $90 a month? Or are you getting YT-TV and Netflix for less than that?

YT-TV would be $40/mo. I'm using my FIL's Netflix and we got Hulu for a year for $1 (because why not?) and we were already Prime members.

But I'm paying about $225/mo right now for DirecTV and internet and my internet is about 80MPS on its best days (and frankly, it's best days are few and far between).

I'd lose a few channels but I'd also get that ridiculous cloud based DVR that's theoretically unlimited and extensive On-Demand programming through YT-TV. So even if I round up for various taxes/fees (I guess), I'm under $100 and saving more than $1,000/yr. That's that damn Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw I keep talking myself out of plus several blades.

And with streaming you simply get much better picture quality, especially when your speeds are extremely high. I just put my Google Mesh in last fall so I'll have great coverage throughout the house.

Kindof a no-brainer at that point.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14195704)
YT-TV would be $40/mo. I'm using my FIL's Netflix and we got Hulu for a year for $1 (because why not?) and we were already Prime members.

But I'm paying about $225/mo right now for DirecTV and internet and my internet is about 80MPS on its best days (and frankly, it's best days are few and far between).

I'd lose a few channels but I'd also get that ridiculous cloud based DVR that's theoretically unlimited and extensive On-Demand programming through YT-TV. So even if I round up for various taxes/fees (I guess), I'm under $100 and saving more than $1,000/yr. That's that damn Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw I keep talking myself out of plus several blades.

And with streaming you simply get much better picture quality, especially when your speeds are extremely high. I just put my Google Mesh in last fall so I'll have great coverage throughout the house.

Kindof a no-brainer at that point.

Sweet...

lewdog 04-05-2019 09:43 PM

We have been on Hulu Live for a few months now. I don't miss DTV at all. I see how the interface can be a bit odd though. It's fine for me but also annoying at times.

KC Dan 04-09-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14196031)
We have been on Hulu Live for a few months now. I don't miss DTV at all. I see how the interface can be a bit odd though. It's fine for me but also annoying at times.

Agreed. Its been almost 2 years now since I cut the DTV cord and saved $1800 so far. Screw DTV

RustShack 04-09-2019 05:15 PM

From what little I’ve gathered Sling or YouTube TV is the best route to go. I haven’t done much research though.

BryanBusby 04-09-2019 05:27 PM

Sling sucks shit.

Either youtube tv or vue and hope to god you'll never need Sony CS

Unless you live in bumble**** nowhere with terrible Internet, there's no reason to have traditional subscription TV. It's the drizzling shits.

srvy 04-09-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 14199791)
From what little I’ve gathered Sling or YouTube TV is the best route to go. I haven’t done much research though.

Only thing Sling has going for it is NFL Network but if memory serves me you got to upgrade to get. I love youtube TV except missing NFL Network and History. Ill survive.

srvy 04-10-2019 06:56 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...discovery-hgtv

Got a message that Youtube TV is raising price to 50.00 plus several new channels. Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend .

Fish 04-10-2019 08:12 PM

I'm still on the grandfathered $35 plan. Wonder if that will change. Nice new channels though.

Miles 04-10-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14201669)
I'm still on the grandfathered $35 plan. Wonder if that will change. Nice new channels though.

Looks like no grandfathering this time and we’ll get the increase next week.

Hammock Parties 04-10-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14195454)
Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

Someone needs to hook you up with torrents.

I don’t even have Netflix.

arrowheadnation 04-10-2019 11:17 PM

I'm going with my second attempt at cutting the cord. Locked in internet price at $59/mo for 3 years, YouTube TV for apparently $50/mo. now/ (and HBO Now during Game of Thrones) = $110/mo.

My 2 year Promo with ATT is about to run out. They were going to raise my price to $170+ per month. See ya later...