ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tell’n Failed Tales – NFL Player Draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329337)

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:09 PM

Tell’n Failed Tales – NFL Player Draft

This may be interesting if you are willing to share.

Please share stories of possible player you were totally convinced that he would be a good NFL player and you wanted Chiefs to draft...

but it is a good thing they weren’t.

Confession is good for the soul…

Players I wanted the Chiefs to draft -

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:10 PM

From the 2019 draft, I was absolutely convinced that LB Khalil Hodge, Buffalo, could be a good LB in the NFL. He had 419 tackles in 3 years at Buffalo. I watched many Buffalo games, paying attention to Hodge. He was a tackling machine. Hodge wasn’t drafted, wasn’t signed.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:11 PM

From the 2017 draft, I knew that TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech, would be a perfect bookend to Travis Kelce. He was 6-6, 259 pounds, had 10 inch hands, and could run the 40 in 4.57. In 3 college seasons he had 133 catches, 1,747 yards, and 20 TDs. Watching him on the college football field, he looked like he had the athletic talent to make it in the NFL. Bucky was drafted but never really played.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:12 PM

From the 2015 NFL draft, I figured WR Dorial Green-Beckham Missouri/OU was a talent that could overcome his personal issues. Two seasons at Missouri, 87 catches, 1,278 yards, and 17 TDs. Dorial was 6-5, 237 pounds and able to run a 4.49 40. He was drafted by Tennessee in the 2nd round (40) and spent some time with the Titans and the Philadelphia Eagles.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:13 PM

Wasn't like I wanted them in the first round, but I really thought they would be good NFL players.

kccrow 02-15-2020 09:30 PM

Probably hundreds man. I've been at this a long time between here and previously the Coalition... Recent memory... look at my 2018 What I Want mock. Literally the who's who of shit decisions.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:37 PM

Actually I've gone back and re-read some of the past mocks and there were some pretty good ones.

In 2017 you wanted Patrick Mahomes at the top of your list. That counts for a lot.

I remember Kevin Keitzman on 810 saying what a mistake, we could have had Watson

Wilson8 02-15-2020 09:56 PM

I think just about all of the 2018 University at Buffalo games were available for watching and I watched them.

Khalil Hodge looked like he knew where the play was going to go and he came up and made the tackles. He wasn't much in pass coverage but not many MLBs are. I really thought this guy was good.

He was invited to the East West Shrine game and really did not do anything. He wasn't invited to the combine and then ran a 5.05 at his Pro Day. I still thought this was a guy that could still play. LB Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.09 and he was still pretty good. Well turns out I was wrong.

kccrow 02-15-2020 10:08 PM

I think one that comes to mind big for me is Stephone Anthony. I had him in several mocks in 2015, including a 2nd rounder in my What I Want mock. The size, athleticism, and college production you want. Ended up being a turd in the league. He's a big reason why I'm not high on Murray this year. Carbon copies.

kccrow 02-15-2020 10:11 PM

Artie Burns and Josh Perry also come to mind. Burns had it all in terms of talent. Don't know what happened with him in reality. Probably just not enough between the ears, but that happens when you're doing it from the couch and can't interact with guys. Perry, well he was a plugger I wanted. Thought he'd be excellent in a Ragland-like role. Never became shit.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14797809)
Probably just not enough between the ears, but that happens when you're doing it from the couch and can't interact with guys.

I read where Denver Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to NFL combine. They want them to watch college game films instead.

I can understand that how they play is the most important thing, but I think they maybe miss out on talking with the players.

Then again some of those coaches are asking questions like,
"Do you like girls?"
"If you had to murder someone, would it be with a gun or a knife?"
"Boxers or briefs?"
"Which animal are you?"

Maybe you get a sense that you don't want those people there.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 14797805)
I think one that comes to mind big for me is Stephone Anthony.

I liked Stephone Anthony. Clemson with good size. New Orleans Saints drafted him in the 1st round. They actually like him enough that they have brought him back.

Hoover 02-15-2020 10:57 PM

Greg Hill, Trezelle Jenkins, Sly Morrie, Ryan Sims, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Jon Baldwin, shall I continue?

Wilson8 02-16-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14797841)
Greg Hill, Trezelle Jenkins, Sly Morrie, Ryan Sims, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Jon Baldwin, shall I continue?

No. Now those were actual Chief picks so that makes it more painful.

Buehler445 02-16-2020 12:39 AM

From KU:

I thought Kerry Meier would make a good slot guy. I guess he got some play but couldn't stay healthy.

I thought Aquib Talib would make a shit corner. At KU, he took a ton of chances that I thought would get him beat by pros. And he was a hothead. At least I was right about that.

I thought Jake Sharp would make a good back in the league. I don't think he ever took a snap.

From others:

I thought Watson would flame out hard.

I thought Reggie Bush couldn't play in the league.

I thought Margus Hunt would be an elite player.

Hilariously, I though Jared Zabranski had a place as a system guy. LOL That's my worst one.