ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Biggest need? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329181)

ForeverChiefs58 02-10-2020 12:44 PM

Biggest need?

Order of biggest needs? Some question marks

OL - more protection for PM

LB - Bad run defense needs better LBer play

CB - better coverage is of course always better

S - Will Thorhill be better or worse next season?

Find another pass rusher- Every defense wants as many as possible

WR- speed kills. Legion of zoom keeps zooming

TE- having 4-5 amazing WR’s is awesome. Having a 2nd TE like a Kelce that blocks would also be awesome.

RB- so long McCoy. Need another for two head monster.

Halfcan 02-10-2020 01:26 PM

That is pretty much the order I would put our needs in.

staylor26 02-10-2020 01:27 PM

1. CB- only 2 on the roster
2. IOL- we need at least 1 starter
3. LB- we still don’t have a coverage LB
4. RB- Williams is the only reliable guy we have
5. WR- likely losing Watkins and DRob
6. TE- we could use an upgrade at TE2
7. S- lack of depth and Lucas is an UFA

RunKC 02-10-2020 01:51 PM

With staylor here, but will say just secondary overall.

Fuller gone
Breeland gone
2 corners on payroll
Thornhill coming off serious injury

UK_Chief 02-15-2020 02:59 AM

Think we’re going to be drafting WRs every year we have Mahomes or a receiving TE. We always seem to need LBs and CBs

could OL be a plug and play, free agency/trade approach rather than draft?

ForeverChiefs58 02-15-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 14796772)
Think we’re going to be drafting WRs every year we have Mahomes or a receiving TE. We always seem to need LBs and CBs

could OL be a plug and play, free agency/trade approach rather than draft?

I agree with this. Protecting Mahomes is top priority, but it doesn’t have to be done with a top pick.

The chiefs need to get the top value.

It maybe easier to draft LB and CB early, and still getting a top OL later.

It seems it’s harder for teams to find a diamond in the rough at LB or CB in later rounds.

wachashi 02-15-2020 11:10 AM

It's going to depend on who all comes back next year. Jones, Watkins, DRob, LDT, Sorensen, Ogbah, Fuller, Breeland, Erving. There will be lots of holes to fill if only a couple of those guys are back.

I'd say our secondary is going to look the most different next year. We could very well sign a new outside corner, new slot corner, new LB/safety hybrid, and a new free safety for depth next year.

Chargem 02-15-2020 03:38 PM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've seen some safeties like McKinney drop in mock drafts I've been seeing. Someone like that could be the answer if there is no value at linebacker, play a lot of 3 safety sets Thornhill/Mathieu/McKinney to make up for the lack of speed/coverage ability of the current linebacking group?

Wilson8 02-15-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14797270)
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've seen some safeties like McKinney drop in mock drafts I've been seeing. Someone like that could be the answer if there is no value at linebacker, play a lot of 3 safety sets Thornhill/Mathieu/McKinney to make up for the lack of speed/coverage ability of the current linebacking group?

If the draft fell like that, for sure the Chiefs would be a better defense. I think some team will value McKinney enough that Chiefs won't need to make that decision.

OR

A team values him enough that they make a good trade offer to KC. I would not mind that either.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 03:50 PM

1. CB – We have two CBs that have playing experience currently signed, Charvarius Ward and Rashad Fenton. Bashaud Breeland, Kendall Fuller, and Morris Claiborne are all free agents. Keith Reaser is a RFA. Alex Brown has a little special team experience and Chris Lammons is signed to a Futures contract.

2. LB – We have two starters with Anthony Hitchens, and Damien Wilson. We have two free agents in Reggie Ragland and Darron Lee. We have backups in Ben Niemann, Dorian O’Daniel, Darrius Harris (NFI), and Emmanuel Smith (Futures). We need another starting LB. We need another backup LB.

3. OL – I know several of you rated this as our top need and I agree that we absolutely need to upgrade, but we do have everyone returning plus we get two players back from IR. Martinas Rankin and Greg Senat. I see this as the third most important need for KC.

4. WR – Demarcus Robinson and Sammy Watkins could both be gone. Mecole Hardman and Byron Pringle will move up in depth chart but we can’t go into season with just them.

5. DB – Juan Thornhill will probably still be recovering from ACL injury. Jordan Lucas is a free agent. Chiefs could use a player to fill in for this need.

There are lots of other places that we can improve and get better, but these 5 would be my top NEEDS.

All of this can change with a re-signing of one of our players or signing of a free agent, but as it is right now, that is my opinion.

Side Note - At the end of last year, my top need was a new DC.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 04:16 PM

TE – I’ve given up on Chiefs doing anything for a backup to Travis Kelce.

I’d be shocked if they ever drafted or signed a free agent that they actually had to pay.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 04:17 PM

RB – I’m an optimist here. Damien Williams was great for the end of the season. Darwin Thompson will get better from his rookie season. Darrel Williams will be back from IR. I am sure Spencer Ware would be an inexpensive re-sign. I like both Elijah McGuire and Mike Webster and we have signed them to Futures contracts. Also I have faith that the Chiefs can find RB talent in inexpensive free agents and CFAs.

kccrow 02-15-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 14797327)
RB – I’m an optimist here. Damien Williams was great for the end of the season. Darwin Thompson will get better from his rookie season. Darrel Williams will be back from IR. I am sure Spencer Ware would be an inexpensive re-sign. I like both Elijah McGuire and Mike Webster and we have signed them to Futures contracts. Also I have faith that the Chiefs can find RB talent in inexpensive free agents and CFAs.

What you talkin bout Willis? :D

Now that Mike Weber guy, hey, he was pretty decent at Ohio State.

Wilson8 02-15-2020 07:13 PM

I missed that. Yep, my fingers got carried away and added some extra letters.

I like them both, but one is dead and would be a terrible addition at RB.

kccrow 02-15-2020 07:36 PM

How I view "needs" as they currently look...

I think the "must address" are these:
1. CB - Three free agents in Breeland, Fuller, and Claiborne and Ward is a FA after 2020. I can't imagine you can fill this all through free agency, especially for the long-term.
2. LB - Two free agents in Ragland and Lee leaving no real third starter as it's obvious Niemann and O'Daniel aren't starting material. Sorensen fills the role at times but he could also be a cap casualty.
3. WR - If Watkins is retained in some way and doesn't become a cap casualty, then this need severely lessens. If not, our only legit receivers right now are Hill, Hardman, and Pringle.
4. DT - Chris Jones, Mike Pennel, and Xavier Williams are all free agents, which leaves Nnadi, Saunders, and Speaks. If Chris Jones is not retained then a pass rushing 3-tech becomes an obvious void that needs to be filled. Even then, the Chiefs have to bring back another rotational player, hopefully Pennel.
5. TE - Bell is a FA, but could be brought back cheap. Yelder is an ERFA. Really, we have Kelce at the moment. And what if something happens to Kelce? Certainly Bell and Yelder don't bring enough to the table to fill even part of that void.
6. S - I think it really depends on what the team does with Sorensen (cut v keep) and the progress of Thornhill. Right now we have 4 safeties under contract but rolling into the season with possibly only Mathieu, Watts, and Sorensen is not ideal. The Chiefs should retain either Fuller or Lucas and draft a guy.

The rest are primarily upgrades or at least in need of small additions:
7. IOL - We return or can bring back our entire O-line but it's obvious that upgrades are needed across the board.
8. DE - We have 4 DEs under contract in Clark, Okafor, Kpass, and Harris, plus Ward on futures but Kpass is a FA after 2020. That said, losing Ogbah and Suggs would be pretty big. I'd like to see us retain Ogbah. He was our best DE the first half of the season until Clark got healthy and would be very good as the other starter. If Ogbah isn't retained, then KC really needs to address this somehow.
9. RB - The cupboard isn't bare but the only "proven" RB on the roster is Damien Williams. Darrell looked okay in spots. Darwin Thompson doesn't look like he belongs in the NFL so far. Like Wilson, I also like McGuire and Weber as prospects but we really don't know what they are yet. I think the Chiefs need a stronger player as a true #1 or #2 back.
10. QB - The Chiefs can bring back Henne or Moore and still have Shurmur, but it's still a need-to-do situation. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with Shurmur guiding the team for a couple games if need be just yet.