ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343282)

Bowser 04-03-2022 06:57 PM

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XL4iCAB6MFo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 04-03-2022 07:00 PM

I know this is written by the same people that have given us Discovery, but I'm still kind of excited for it. I think Anson Mount does great as Pike and as the captain of Enterprise. I hope the writers exceed expectations.

And it somehow got around me that Rebecca Romijn is Pike's Number one??

BigRedChief 04-03-2022 09:09 PM

In. High hopes this will be a game changer for the Star Trek universe like the Mandalorian was for Star Wars.

KC_Connection 04-03-2022 09:59 PM

Discovery S3 and S4 are way worse than any of the other new Trek (Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy) and those were run by a particular showrunner who started at the beginning of S3. I'm not expecting any kind of game changer with ST: SNW, but it could be a decent show.

Frazod 04-03-2022 11:16 PM

Good looking trailer. Definitely seems to have the vibe of the original series.

God I hope they don't **** it up.

Miles 04-04-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16230833)
Discovery S3 and S4 are way worse than any of the other new Trek (Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy) and those were run by a particular showrunner who started at the beginning of S3. I'm not expecting any kind of game changer with ST: SNW, but it could be a decent show.

That at least gives me some hope.

Indian Chief 04-05-2022 01:32 PM

Please don't suck. That's all I ask.

Imon Yourside 04-05-2022 10:19 PM

Man I still love the original the best, hoping this is somewhat like that..even just a little.

BigRedChief 04-05-2022 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 16234808)
Man I still love the original the best, hoping this is somewhat like that..even just a little.

Season 3 of Picard has all the cast of TNG back focused on their stories. Worf back kicking some ass, Geordie, Data etc.

I think Paramount gets it like Disney finally did with the Mandalorian. That’s why I’m hopeful for this one.

BigRedChief 04-08-2022 09:09 PM

The show revealed Spock’s full name in posters this week
Spoiler!

Snica 04-09-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16239403)
The show revealed Spock’s full name in posters this week
Spoiler!

That doesn't even make sense.

Frazod 04-10-2022 12:57 PM

Say hello to James Tiberius Kirk.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uplo...1&h=383&crop=1

https://deadline.com/2022/03/star-tr...ey-1234979489/

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Finds Its James T. Kirk With Paul Wesley

Paul Wesley is joining the cast of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Wesley is starring in the iconic role of James T. Kirk in the second season of the Paramount+ drama series. The role is best known for starring William Shatner.

The casting comes ahead of the launch of season one, which premieres in May. A second season of the show was renewed in January.

Strange New Worlds follows Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount), Science Officer Spock (Ethan Peck), and Number One (Rebecca Romijn/Una Chin-Riley) as they explore new worlds around the galaxy. Their adventures predate Captain Kirk’s ever stepping foot aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise.

The cast also includes Jess Bush as Nurse Christine Chapel, Christina Chong as La’an Noonien-Singh, Celia Rose Gooding as Cadet Nyota Uhura, Melissa Navia as Lt. Erica Ortegas, and Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M’Benga.

Wesley was previously one of the leads of The Vampire Diaries and also starred in Tell Me A Story for Paramount+ predecessor CBS All Access. He can also be seen in Shudder feature History of Evil alongside Stephanie Beatriz.

He has also directed episodes of Roswell, New Mexico, Shadowhunters and Legacies.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is showrun by Akiva Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers with the pair exec producing alongside Alex Kurtzman, Jenny Lumet, Heather Kadin, Frank Siracusa, John Weber, Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth, and Aaron Baiers.

The series is produced by CBS Studios, Secret Hideout, and Roddenberry Entertainment.

“Paul is an accomplished actor, an astonishing presence and a welcome key addition to the show. Like all of us, he is a life-long Star Trek fan and we are excited by his interpretation of this iconic role,” said Alex Kurtzman, Akiva Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers.

Bowser 04-30-2022 02:35 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ndtCicnVvbc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 04-30-2022 08:03 PM

Everything Kurtzman touches turns to shit.

Not holding my breath.

listopencil 05-01-2022 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16275736)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ndtCicnVvbc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like it.

KC_Connection 05-01-2022 04:52 PM

I remember reading at some point that this show was going to be fully episodic (like TOS) rather than serialized. Is that still the case? I'd prefer that, especially given new Trek has been largely a failure at telling serialized stories.

KC_Connection 05-04-2022 09:53 PM

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/

Quote:

By and large, this approach works. While it lacks “Discovery’s” ambition, “Strange New Worlds” also avoids that show’s struggles with serialization and scope, as each episode limits its focus to the story at hand. The result is as straightforward and direct as the show’s leading man, and nearly as likable. There’s no strain here, and while the more episodic style may be old-fashioned, it’s refreshing to watch something that isn’t pretending to be a 10-hour movie. – Zack Handlen, Variety

It doesn’t particularly care about the version of the Enterprise or its crew you may or may not be holding in your head, and heart. It simply wants to tell Trek stories the way they used to be told — one space battle, one diplomatic summit, one alien virus, one spatial anomaly, one transporter accident at a time. – Glen Weldon, NPR

So whereas the Discoveries and Picards of the world are focused on season-long Big Bad main arcs, Strange New Worlds is focusing on new stories each week, but also telling its characters’ stories over the long haul. Those are the season-long arcs, and man, does it really work in the first five. – Scott Collura, IGN Movies
Good early reviews. It's episodic and it sounds like it works well.

Hammock Parties 05-04-2022 09:55 PM

Now I'm intrigued.

This is a lost art.

Frazod 05-05-2022 06:58 AM

Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.

BigRedChief 05-05-2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16282965)
Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.

Going old school Trek. No season long arc. Why not try it? Can’t be worse than Picard season 1.

Frazod 05-06-2022 06:10 AM

It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.

listopencil 05-06-2022 08:09 AM

I watched the first episode. I liked it. The show has potential. It's already better than Dicksuckery, Voyager, and Picard.

BigRedChief 05-06-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16284325)
It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.

That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.

listopencil 05-06-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16284430)
That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.

I almost agree with you. Roddenberry was a shit storyteller. The sci-fi writers were what made the episodes.

Snica 05-06-2022 04:32 PM

Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.

lawrenceRaider 05-07-2022 01:30 PM

First real Star Trek they've given us in a very long time.

Frazod 05-07-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snica (Post 16285085)
Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.

Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick." :D

listopencil 05-07-2022 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16286082)
Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick." :D

It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...2/talosian.jpg

Frazod 05-07-2022 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16286107)
It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.

I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that. :D

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.

listopencil 05-07-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16286130)
I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that. :D

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.

Nah. It's just something that bothered me when watching the episode and I hope they play it off well.

Bowser 05-08-2022 05:53 PM

I enjoyed the first episode, even if it felt lifted from a season in TOS.

Who was the young Kirk that Pike wanted on the bridge? Samuel? I'm losing my trek lore as time goes by - I keep thinking of the Kelvin timeline George Kirk played by a younger Thor as James T's dad. Who is Samuel in relation to Jim?

KC_Connection 05-08-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16286886)
I enjoyed the first episode, even if it felt lifted from a season in TOS.

Who was the young Kirk that Pike wanted on the bridge? Samuel? I'm losing my trek lore as time goes by - I keep thinking of the Kelvin timeline George Kirk played by a younger Thor as James T's dad. Who is Samuel in relation to Jim?

His brother. There’s an episode of TOS when Kirk finds his brother (who was a scientist of some kind) dead on a planet due to alien parasites and that’s the guy. I had forgotten it myself until I checked yesterday as it’s really not an important part of the episode. Shatner played his dead body, looking identical to James but with a moustache.

KC_Connection 05-13-2022 01:46 AM

2nd episode was great. Did a good job of developing Uhura's character in a classic sci-fi/Trek type story. I'm sure there will be rocky episodes to come, but it's pretty promising that this show is this good off the bat.

listopencil 05-13-2022 08:16 AM

Everything about this is better than the shit they've been shoveling lately.

BigRedChief 05-13-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16292477)
2nd episode was great. Did a good job of developing Uhura's character in a classic sci-fi/Trek type story. I'm sure there will be rocky episodes to come, but it's pretty promising that this show is this good off the bat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16292640)

Agreed. Still have fingers crossed that they got Star Trek back on the right "Trek".

Frazod 05-13-2022 12:37 PM

Last episode was pretty cool. I still take issue with the whole bit about Uhura being some sort of linguistic genius, though.

Here's a clip from Star Trek VI which kind of illustrates my point.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avH2K1iR8Oo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still, she's far less annoying than the Zoe Saldana version.

lawrenceRaider 05-14-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16293000)
Last episode was pretty cool. I still take issue with the whole bit about Uhura being some sort of linguistic genius, though.

Here's a clip from Star Trek VI which kind of illustrates my point.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avH2K1iR8Oo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still, she's far less annoying than the Zoe Saldana version.

I actually like the new angle on Uhura. Adds some nice depth to the overall crew. One of my issues with TOS was the relatively shallow nature of the crew overall. The movies helped with that.

I'm really digging SNW. Feels so far like the best parts of TOS and TNG.

Bowser 05-14-2022 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16292640)

QFT

srvy 05-14-2022 09:40 AM

What's the deal with the huge Pompador on Pike?

KC_Connection 05-14-2022 11:38 AM

Those original movies have a lot of comic relief in them including that scene (and there's nothing wrong with that, that's part of their charm), but realistically there's no way Uhura became the communications officer on the flagship of Starfleet without being able to speak Klingon.

If they can truly develop the ensemble characters like Uhura on SNW with episodes like this week's, that would be a change because Discovery (all Michael Burnham all the time) and Picard (which arguably didn't even try) woefully failed to do that. That is one of the things that TNG and DS9 did very well.

Frazod 05-19-2022 09:38 PM

Episode 3 was really good. Interesting character development for Number One and La'an. La'an reminds me of the original super strong security officer from Orville. She was also the only Orville character that wasn't annoying.

We haven't had a good space battle episode yet, but so far I'm quite impressed. This doesn't have any of the woke suck of Discovery.

Snica 05-20-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16300731)
Episode 3 was really good. Interesting character development for Number One and La'an. La'an reminds me of the original super strong security officer from Orville. She was also the only Orville character that wasn't annoying.

We haven't had a good space battle episode yet, but so far I'm quite impressed. This doesn't have any of the woke suck of Discovery.

Love how she lifted that alien over her shoulder like a feather.

BigRedChief 05-20-2022 06:41 AM

Very encouraging start to get this back on track. Episodes as stand alone but still developing characters as the season goes along looks like its going to work.

Mosbonian 05-20-2022 03:43 PM

I am really enjoying this...haven't enjoyed Star Trek since SNG.

Glad to see them starting this series out right.

BigRedChief 05-27-2022 07:56 AM

New episode continues the same pattern. An episode unto itself with a little character development thrown in but as part of the plot and not forced into the storyline. aka Picard flashbacks to his childhood.

Frazod 05-27-2022 11:00 PM

The last episode was the best yet.

So far this show is exceptional.

Bowser 05-28-2022 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16311877)

Yeah, that was pretty damned good. Enjoying this quite a bit so far.

listopencil 05-28-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16311877)

Yeah, this show pretty much blows everything else Trek out of the water. Not even close.

Frazod 05-28-2022 09:19 AM

I really liked the way they incorporated elements from the original series episode Balance of Terror and the Mutara Nebula scene from Star Trek II.

The Enterprise really got beat to shit, too. I wonder if next week starts off with them getting repairs in a space dock.

Seems like they're setting the Gorn up to be the heavy in this season - and perhaps the nastiest baddies ever (at least the Klingons and Borg didn't actually eat prisoners). Looking forward to seeing how they're actually portrayed when they actually show them. Could be something they're saving for the season finale.

listopencil 05-28-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16312071)
I really liked the way they incorporated elements from the original series episode Balance of Terror and the Mutara Nebula scene from Star Trek II.

The Enterprise really got beat to shit, too. I wonder if next week starts off with them getting repairs in a space dock.

Seems like they're setting the Gorn up to be the heavy in this season - and perhaps the nastiest baddies ever (at least the Klingons and Borg didn't actually eat prisoners). Looking forward to seeing how they're actually portrayed when they actually show them. Could be something they're saving for the season finale.

I took it as a one off and I'm hoping they continue to keep this episodic, maybe in the next one they are leaving space drydock for much needed repair/maintenance and leave it at that. I'm not too interested in fleshing out the Gorn because that horrible fight scene and that terrible costume in ST:TOS is iconic.

listopencil 05-28-2022 09:43 AM

You can't just bury this and pretend it didn't happen. It's ****ing hilarious:

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpr...7/10/gorn1.jpg

Frazod 05-28-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16312100)
You can't just bury this and pretend it didn't happen. It's ****ing hilarious:

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpr...7/10/gorn1.jpg

Oh come on, that was a good episode for the time. You've got to forgive 60s costumes and 60s TV budget restraints. I'm actually more concerned about them giving away too much about the Gorn here, because in that episode they were fairly unknown. Even at this point Spock knows more about them than he did in the original, set several years afterwards - he certainly never expressed any concerns about Kirk being eaten if he lost the fight.

listopencil 05-28-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16312106)
Oh come on, that was a good episode for the time. You've got to forgive 60s costumes and 60s TV budget restraints. I'm actually more concerned about them giving away too much about the Gorn here, because in that episode they were fairly unknown. Even at this point Spock knows more about them than he did in the original, set several years afterwards - he certainly never expressed any concerns about Kirk being eaten if he lost the fight.

Oh, sure. I'm aware of the budget constraints and the state of that tech versus today. They did a much better job of costuming the female guest actresses on a regular basis so I'll forgive them, and now I view stuff like the Gorn costume as absurdist art. But that goofy image will never leave my mind.

listopencil 05-28-2022 09:57 AM

If they do keep the Gorn to use as baddies in this season then there has to exist a 'blooper' of Pike fighting a guy in a copy of the original costume.

Frazod 05-28-2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16312116)
If they do keep the Gorn to use as baddies in this season then there has to exist a 'blooper' of Pike fighting a guy in a copy of the original costume.

Heh. That would be pretty funny.

Bowser 05-28-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16312116)

*in slow motion even though it's still real time

Frazod 06-03-2022 10:33 AM

Well, the last episode was definitely a step back. While it wasn't horrible, and was clearly going for light-hearted laughs after the Gorn episode, it definitely had some Discovery creep to it. Apparently Chapel is bi, and it's pretty obvious that the butch helmsman chick has the hots for her. Similar vibe developing between Number One and the security officer.

This show is so promising. Don't want to see it devolve into woke shit. :shake:

Frazod 06-03-2022 10:39 AM

Probably the best part of this episode was them dusting off the familiar fight music from the original series. That definitely put a smile on my face.

KC_Connection 06-03-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16319186)
Well, the last episode was definitely a step back. While it wasn't horrible, and was clearly going for light-hearted laughs after the Gorn episode, it definitely had some Discovery creep to it. Apparently Chapel is bi, and it's pretty obvious that the butch helmsman chick has the hots for her. Similar vibe developing between Number One and the security officer.

Having somebody be bi isn't having Discovery creep into it. Discovery is a complete pile of garbage for many reasons that go well beyond what sexual orientation anybody is. S4 of that show might actually be the worst full season of television I've ever seen.

And I liked the episode all right. Obviously it was a shore leave/comedy episode that is meant to be taken less than seriously, but this show is able to pull it off pretty well because they have a likable cast that they are actually taking the time to develop (unlike, for example, the casts of Discovery and Picard which were ignored at best and awful at worst).

It's still hard to believe that this show actually is as consistently good as it is. First Star Trek live action thing that I've actually looked forward to watching each week since the reboot and it's kind of disappointing that we're only getting 10 episodes of it (instead of 20+ like in the old days). Hope they kept this same writing staff together for S2.

Bowser 06-03-2022 07:22 PM

Nurse Chappel is hot as ****, even more so when decked out in her civvies. And apparently, she's an unapologetic slut as well. New favorite character located!

Yeah this episode throttled back significantly, but it was still enjoyable enough.

Bowser 06-03-2022 07:22 PM

Nurse Chappel is hot as ****, even more so when decked out in her civvies. And apparently, she's an unapologetic slut as well. New favorite character located!

Yeah this episode throttled back significantly, but it was still enjoyable enough.

BigRedChief 06-04-2022 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16319222)
Having somebody be bi isn't having Discovery creep into it. Discovery is a complete pile of garbage for many reasons that go well beyond what sexual orientation anybody is. S4 of that show might actually be the worst full season of television I've ever seen

Geezz New Worlds is already light years ahead of Discovery. Not even close.

Weren't gay or Bi in the original Star Trek timeline of the series? Being gay was illegal in the western world. You were thrown in jail or made to take drugs to stop your gay "urges:. So of course they didn't show that on TV in the original series.

The whole Klingon V. Federation was a way to talk about Russian v USA. The half white/half black face episode was about racism in this country. I could go on and on about episodes that people would consider "woke" these days.

I believe this series is making a sincere attempt to make a 2022 version of the original 1960's series. For the most part its working. 4 episodes in, its already the best Star Trek TV series since the original.

BigRedChief 06-04-2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16319786)

I'd much rather see Nurse Chappel rolling around in bed with another hot women than seeing Spock in bed with a women. :rolleyes:

listopencil 06-04-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

I think you are being too hard on it. You must not like hijinks. I enjoyed it, the humor was well done. It was a good counterpoint to the previous Memorial Day episode. The diplomatic solution was right in line with a classic ST:TOS mentality. I think you'll look back at this one with fondness. Or at least more appreciation than, say, Spock's Brain.

Frazod 06-04-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16320198)
I think you are being too hard on it. You must not like hijinks. I enjoyed it, the humor was well done. It was a good counterpoint to the previous Memorial Day episode. The diplomatic solution was right in line with a classic ST:TOS mentality. I think you'll look back at this one with fondness. Or at least more appreciation than, say, Spock's Brain.

I'm still holding out for a good old fashioned evenly-matched space battle.

Mosbonian 06-04-2022 02:07 PM

Honestly...I enjoyed it, even with the entendre abound.

They would have to go full on Discovery to make me hate it. I enjoyed the whole Enterprise Bingo scenes....and the light hearted nature after the intense last episode.

Of course...in the old days I was probably one of the few people that enjoyed the Tribble episode.

BigRichard 06-06-2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16319787)

Having the name Jess Bush makes it hard to find nudes :)

lawrenceRaider 06-06-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

I think it was more of a clearing the air episode, and I really enjoyed the laid back nature of it.

I don't see the lunacy of Discovery at work. The actual writing and story are far too good, even with a breather episode, than anything Discovery even attempted to do.

Frazod 06-09-2022 12:22 PM

The latest episode was better, albeit more than a bit dark. Also got to see the Enterprise kick a bit of alien spaceship ass.

listopencil 06-10-2022 05:52 AM

Good episode. I enjoyed that '**** I really need a stiff drink after that' moment at the end.

Mosbonian 06-11-2022 09:23 AM

Lindy Booth is pretty nice looking....she can take me prisoner anytime.

KC_Connection 06-11-2022 09:59 AM

I can't quite recall (mostly because I try to put much of Discovery out of my mind at all times), but that might have been the first episode of live action Trek since Enterprise with a central premise that raised a moral/ethical quandary of that sort. Not exactly new ground for the franchise as a whole, but it's good to see that they are still doing those.

lawrenceRaider 06-11-2022 11:19 AM

I'm so damn happy with this REAL Star Trek they've finally given us.

Frazod 06-12-2022 07:40 PM

Rewatched Dune today. Realized that the doctor from SNW also played Jamis.

lawrenceRaider 06-13-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16330953)
Rewatched Dune today. Realized that the doctor from SNW also played Jamis.

Interesting. We rewatched Dune on Saturday.

Noticed the same thing.

Frazod 06-13-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16331584)

Interesting. We rewatched Dune on Saturday.

Noticed the same thing.

Not to hijack the Star Trek thread, but I must say, I enjoyed Dune far more upon a second viewing at home than I did at the theater, and I really liked it when I saw it in the theater. A combination of the overloud score/sound effects and my crappy hearing caused me to initially miss a lot of dialogue that the captions filled in.

I really wish theaters would provide showings with closed captions.

Megatron96 06-13-2022 02:54 PM

Beginning to really like this series.

It is very reminiscent of the original series in its writing, music, even the camera work, but with a subtle modern twist here and there. If they can keep it up and not go postal with the woke shit this is going to easily be my all-time second-favorite ST series. Even if Capt. Pike seems to be morphing into Kirk more and more with each episode.

KC_Connection 06-13-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16331874)

It is very reminiscent of the original series in its writing, music, even the camera work, but with a subtle modern twist here and there. If they can keep it up and not go postal with the woke shit this is going to easily be my all-time second-favorite ST series. Even if Capt. Pike seems to be morphing into Kirk more and more with each episode.

Yeah that's the best comparison, it's like an updated spin on TOS.

I also think there's an argument right now that this is the best first season of a Trek series quality wise since TOS (TNG S1 was bad and DS9 didn't start really getting rolling until later).

Frazod 06-13-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16332078)
Yeah that's the best comparison, it's like an updated spin on TOS.

I also think there's an argument right now that this is the best first season of a Trek series quality wise since TOS (TNG S1 was bad and DS9 didn't start really getting rolling until later).

I can see that. IIRC, after suffering through the wretched pilot I didn't watch another episode of TNG until Season 3. I could probably count on one hand the number of episodes from the first and second seasons that I actually bother to ever rewatch. DS9 was fairly lame until Season 4 (hated all the Bajoran religious crap), Voyager was, well, Voyager, and I never got into Enterprise at all.

They're doing a good job so far. Still waiting for some epic space battles, though. I suspect they may be holding that back for the final episode, though.

listopencil 06-13-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16331874)

I am sure they were going for that. Right down to the bits of the original theme blended into this one.