ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers How ****ed am I? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336475)

Buehler445 01-20-2021 08:55 AM

How ****ed am I?

Computer was acting laggy when I plugged it into my docking station so I shut it down. When I restarted it This is what I’ve been looking at for 45 minutes.

How ****ed am I?
https://i.imgur.com/jlY1pkn.jpg

displacedinMN 01-20-2021 09:17 AM

should be ok. Give it time.

Frazod 01-20-2021 09:22 AM

Well, that's about the time I call my computer guru buddy. Good luck.

Seems like 45 minutes is way too long. I personally would turn it off and try again, but I don't know if that's the best course of action.

Fish 01-20-2021 09:29 AM

It shouldn't take that long. But give it some more time. You really don't want to power it off during a Windows repair. Bad things can happen. But if it doesn't progress any, you might have to.

It may be a sign of hard drive failure or Windows system corruption. But it may just be a little hiccup that's not really indicative of anything. Hopefully the later.

htismaqe 01-20-2021 11:27 AM

It could take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. It just depends on the computer, the size of the hard drive, and several other factors.

Like Fish said, wait as long as you can and try to let it finish.

Buehler445 01-20-2021 11:40 AM

I had some shit to do so it’s set for close to 3 hours. When I get back I’ll take a look. Thanks for the advice.

displacedinMN 01-20-2021 11:52 AM

Windows is pushing out a large update

crayzkirk 01-20-2021 12:17 PM

My computer did that; the Automatic Repair. Never recovered. You can download and burn a copy of the latest version of Windows 10 and boot from it. It will give you options to check the drive, etc. I had a few adult beverages and ended up losing patience with the whole process; it had been running for 16 hours and I said enuf. Hopefully, you have everything backed up... If not and the drive has bad sectors, just start from scratch with a new drive, get an external drive enclosure and copy the data from it once you have Windows up and running again.

htismaqe 01-20-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 15493963)
My computer did that; the Automatic Repair. Never recovered. You can download and burn a copy of the latest version of Windows 10 and boot from it. It will give you options to check the drive, etc. I had a few adult beverages and ended up losing patience with the whole process; it had been running for 16 hours and I said enuf. Hopefully, you have everything backed up... If not and the drive has bad sectors, just start from scratch with a new drive, get an external drive enclosure and copy the data from it once you have Windows up and running again.

Yep.

I wouldn't even boot it again at that point as you risk increasing the errors on the hard drive, making data less recoverable.

Slap a new hard drive in it, reinstall Windows, and then put the old drive in an enclosure and pull your data off of it.

displacedinMN 01-20-2021 12:51 PM

do all of that and use it as a business expense for tax reasons

Buehler445 01-20-2021 12:57 PM

So I guess all is well that ends well?

It ran on that screen for 4 hours. I forced it to shut down and upon restart appears to be working properly.

Maybe I just delayed the ****ing?

Who knows.

Thanks for the help guys.

notorious 01-20-2021 01:00 PM

Would still top off the antifreeze just to be sure.

htismaqe 01-20-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15494097)

It ran on that screen for 4 hours. I forced it to shut down and upon restart appears to be working properly.

Who knows.

I would try to run a full diagnostic, using a boot disk like crazykirk mentioned and at least back everything up. You don't want to lose any data.

lawrenceRaider 01-20-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Who knows.

I've had similar things happen with the Lenovo laptop I have for work.

BigBeauford 01-20-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Who knows.

Back your shit up now. Could be a sign of things to come.