ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Most Realistic Chiefs' Mock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343513)

kccrow 04-20-2022 06:31 PM

Most Realistic Chiefs' Mock

Give me your absolute best guess at what you think the Chiefs will do with their 12 draft picks. I'm looking for what you feel Veach will do... trades, players, etc.

I'm not looking for who you want the Chiefs to draft. I've seen every iteration of that. A short one-liner of why you think each pick makes a lot of sense would be sensational.

If you do trades, please at least reference this Trade Value Chart

duncan_idaho 04-20-2022 09:17 PM

Fun exercise.

29. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas. Slim pickings at edge in this run, at least for this draft slot. Burks gives KC another super-sized WR, and one who can be a real weapon after the catch.

30 -----> to Detroit (30, 135 for 34, 97, which is 1 point off in value on the Hill chart)

34. Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor. Still not loving the EDGE values (Mafe was off the board at 22 in this run), I move on to a different player who fits in perfectly with the Chiefs' defense. Pitre will be the nickel corner and gives KC safety flexibility in 23+ should KC not retain Juan Thornhill.

50 -----> to Seattle (50, 121, 243 for 41. This is -4 for Seattle on the Hill but close enough to roll with)

41. Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State. Finally make an EDGE move and get a good athlete with the potential to grow into a more complete player. I do like his twitchy athleticism, and his arm length makes up for being a little shorter than a typical Chiefs DE).

62. Kingsley Enagbare, DE, South Carolina. Enagbare is not an overwhelming athlete, but he wins contests and is versatile. He gives me a strongside pairing for Ebiketie long-term.

94. Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama. Tolbert is a smooth receiver who gives you a little bit of everything, and I can't avoid the double-dip to keep rebuilding the room.

97. Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati. With Pitre in the fold, this might seem like an unnecessary move, but Cook gives KC a physical, true SS sort and someone who is a major upgrade as the subpackage dime safety.

103. Matt Waletzko, T, North Dakota. Looking around for a developmental T, Waletzko pops out over more mentioned prospects like Rasheed Walker and Zach Tom because of his length (36" arms). Potential long-term RT answer. I take him and groan inwardly at passing on Jeremy Ruckert, TE, and some great CB options (McCollum, Armour-Davis, Bryant).

7.233 ----> (233, 243 for 210. Neutral on TV chart)

210. Sam Webb, CB, Missouri Western. Come on, now. You didn't think Veach was just going to hang out the whole rest of this, did you? He comes back up to grab a really athletic developmental CB prospect.

And that's it.

KC reinforces the WR and DE spots with guys who can contribute right away and adds some legit star potential to that room. Pitre gives them the flexibility needed at DB to continue shopping in the bargain bin for CBs and trying to develop its way forward.

With the way the board fell, it didn't make sense to move up for a DE in the first, and I don't believe KC will do that for a WR, ultimately.

Wilson8 04-20-2022 10:01 PM

I made this list without seeing what Duncan had posted -

No trades

Draft: (1-29) WR Treylon Burks, Arkansas
Draft: (1-30) S Daxton Hill, Michigan
Draft: (2-50) DE Cameron Thomas, San Diego State (Boye Mafe if still available at 50)
Draft: (2-62) CB/PR Marcus Jones, Houston (Use on slot)
Draft: (3-94) OT Kellen Diesch, Arizona State
Draft: (3c -103) TE Jelani Woods
Draft: (4-121) RB Rachaad White, Arizona State
Draft: (4-135) LB Malcom Rodriguez, Oklahoma State
Draft: (7-233) OL Austin Deculus, LSU Practice Squad
Draft: (7-243) DT Noah Elliss, Idaho Practice Squad
Draft: (7-251) CB Sam Webb, Missouri Western State, Practice Squad
Draft: (7-259) DE Adam Anderson, Georgia, Await Legal

Wilson8 04-20-2022 10:10 PM

No extra WR, but TE Jelani Woods and RB Rachaad White could really contribute to our receiving group.

CB Marcus Jones not very big but he can match up with speedy quick receivers.

CupidStunt 04-21-2022 03:43 AM

I have no idea, but I'd bet against the grain. Everyone is so locked in on WR and DE. I'll say they jump up a handful of slots and draft a DT, and go DB early as well.

So I guess I'll say Wyatt. IDK the DB. Hill is long gone IMO.

Chris Meck 04-21-2022 06:13 AM

One thing to think about-

Andy's offense is notoriously difficult for rookies. Now, are we going to do some things differently this season since we have only Mecole as a system vet? Maybe. But I would think it's possible that we'd only draft one WR high expecting some immediate production in any given year. I'd love to double dip, myself, but I don't know. Probably both wouldn't play much unless one had a lot of KR/PR potential.

duncan_idaho 04-21-2022 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16255067)
I have no idea, but I'd bet against the grain. Everyone is so locked in on WR and DE. I'll say they jump up a handful of slots and draft a DT, and go DB early as well.

So I guess I'll say Wyatt. IDK the DB. Hill is long gone IMO.

Wyatt is likely off a lot of boards because he has 4 separate domestic violence incidents from college. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him slide late into day 2.

Woogieman 04-21-2022 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16255117)
Wyatt is likely off a lot of boards because he has 4 separate domestic violence incidents from college. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him slide late into day 2.

If he slid to 62, that would be amazing (assuming his interviews don't reveal him to be a psychopath). If you grab the best S, Edge, and WR with 29, 30, and 50, then Wyatt at 62, I'm like an 8 yr old on Christmas Eve. Take 2 CBs in the 3rd, and your vacations for the next five years will probably be in February.

I won't be surprised if we are all wrong on our mocks, but there will be an exciting, big infusion of talent next week.

Chris Meck 04-21-2022 09:12 AM

round one: Burks, Mafe
round two: Pierce, Thomas

duncan_idaho 04-21-2022 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 16255266)
If he slid to 62, that would be amazing (assuming his interviews don't reveal him to be a psychopath). If you grab the best S, Edge, and WR with 29, 30, and 50, then Wyatt at 62, I'm like an 8 yr old on Christmas Eve. Take 2 CBs in the 3rd, and your vacations for the next five years will probably be in February.

I won't be surprised if we are all wrong on our mocks, but there will be an exciting, big infusion of talent next week.

I would be nervous. He has 4 separate incidents and I believe they were 4 different women.

I've learned to give a little more grace and not assume when it comes to that, so I would trust the team if they draft him... but I'd be waiting for the other shoe to drop as long as he was a Chief.

Woogieman 04-21-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16255275)
I would be nervous. He has 4 separate incidents and I believe they were 4 different women.

I've learned to give a little more grace and not assume when it comes to that, so I would trust the team if they draft him... but I'd be waiting for the other shoe to drop as long as he was a Chief.

...which typically occurs week 15 after getting a lot of RoY hype. When in college and after, I did a lot of bartending at places frequented by pro football players. From what I witnessed, many of these O and D linemen simply came into the spotlight with NO game with the ladies (or with anyone else for that matter!) due to their size/weight as young men. Many of them were not able to develop a healthy relationships/rapport w/ decent looking girls that have suddenly started falling in their laps, and when they get played/dropped, they handle it very poorly and in the only ay they have learned: anger, intimidation, even violence. I don't know the first thing about him, but I've seen enough down at the Lake, at the Plaza, and other places...

Nightfyre 04-21-2022 01:06 PM

Alright. The chiefs have 38 roster locks and 8 bubble players by my estimate.
QB: Mahomes, Buechle, Henne (0 need)
RB: Helaire, Jones, Williams, Gore, Burton (0 need)
WR: Scantling, Smith-Schuster, Hardman, (bubble: Gordon, Dieter, Fountain) (need 2-3, only MVS is on contract next year)
TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson, Bell (0 need)
OT: Brown, Wylie, Niang, (bubble: Wanogho) (need 1)
IOL: Humphrey, Smith, Thuney, Router, Allegretti (0 need)
DE: Clark, Danna (bubble: Kaindoh) (need 2-3, Clark gone after this year.)
DT: Jones, Nnadi, Saunders, Wharton (need 1)
LB: Bolton, Gay (bubble: Harris) (need 2-3)
CB: Sneed, Fenton (bubble: Baker, Barcoo) (need 2-3)
S: Reid, Thornhill (bubble: Bush) (need 1-2)
ST: Butker, Townsend, Winchester

Overall this means that the Chiefs need to add 11-16 players to compete for roster spots between the draft and PFAs.

To compete for starting positions, the chiefs need 1 DE, 1 WR, 1 LB, 1 DT, and 1 CB. 1 S is also critically important.

To meet these needs, the chiefs should, in my opinion, emphasize acquiring early second round picks.

In my scenario:
The chiefs trade 29 to SEA for 40, 72
The chiefs trade 30, 62, and 2023R3 to NYJ for 35, 38

35: Arnold Ebiketie
38: Travis Jones
40: Logan Hall
50: George Pickens
72: Tariq Woolen
94: Bryan Cook
103: Zyon McCollum
121: Braxton Jones
135: Brandon Smith
233: Damone Clark
243: Jeremiah Gemmell
251: Markquese Bell
259: Isaiah Weston

I will update with reasoning later tonight, but I look forward to your critiques.

blake5676 04-21-2022 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 16255774)
In my scenario:
The chiefs trade 29 to SEA for 40, 72
The chiefs trade 30, 62, and 2023R3 to NYJ for 35, 38

35: Arnold Ebiketie
38: Travis Jones
40: Logan Hall
50: George Pickens
72: Tariq Woolen
103: Zyon McCollum
121: Braxton Jones
135: Brandon Smith
233: Damone Clark
243: Jeremiah Gemmell
251: Markquese Bell
259: Isaiah Weston

I will update with reasoning later tonight, but I look forward to your critiques.

Interested in the reasoning as we still have 6 picks in the first 103 in the above scenario, yet we're light a 3rd rounder next year. And I don't see anyone in your 4 second round picks that wouldn't be available using 29 and 30. Moved back to move back up basically?

Kiimo 04-21-2022 01:12 PM

I don't think we get a WR in the first unless we trade up.

Take a DE and DB and then get Christian Watson in the 2nd.

Nightfyre 04-21-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 16255783)
Interested in the reasoning as we still have 6 picks in the first 103 in the above scenario, yet we're light a 3rd rounder next year. And I don't see anyone in your 4 second round picks that wouldn't be available using 29 and 30. Moved back to move back up basically?

Added pick 72, and moved up to 38 from 62 to acquire an additional starting caliber player.

Also I apparently left out pick 94. I will add it, selecting Bryan Cook. Thank you for the good catch.

ModSocks 04-21-2022 01:35 PM

Meh, i'll post it here too:

Round 1, Pick 29; Andrew Booth Jr. (One of my favorites of the draft, this is the star of my Mock. Kaiir Elam could work here too assuming Booth is gone)

Round 1, Pick 30; Boye Mafe (lazy pick here by me, but the Chiefs need a rusher and i expect Karlaftis to be gone)

Round 2, Pick 50; George Pickens (1st round talent imo, I struggle if he's my favorite or 2nd favorite WR in the draft)

Round 2, Pick 62; Jalyn Armour Davis (Chiefs get a 2nd big time physical attribute corner, giving them two outstanding boundry corner rookie prospects to develop)

Round 3, Pick 94; David Ojabo (possibly wishful thinking here but that injury creates uncertainty and he'll have to redshirt his rookie season.I think he slides into the 3rd where these types of guys are generally seen taken)

Round 3, Pick 103; Max Mitchel (Chiefs add some competition at swing tackle with a player that has the potential to outright take the RT job)

DJ's left nut 04-21-2022 01:44 PM

So far the best 'published' mock I've seen has been a 2-rounder from Nate Tice:

29: Arnold Ebiketie
30: Treylon Burks
50: Roger McCreary
62: Jaquan Brisker

I say it's realistic because it's just not one of those "well the Chiefs need A, B, C so we'll reach for whatever is there" kind of drafts.

All of those guys could reasonably be the BPA as well as guys who fall into a nice need niche for us. They represent opportunity AND value.

I just feel like that's how Veach will approach it. Personally I don't think Ebiketie is the right build here, but maybe the long arms WILL be enough to make up for the relatively short stature. By his board I could also see us going with Andrew Booth at 29 and Drake Jackson at 50; same positions but their orders are flipped and I think you have better scheme fits with both guys.

But in all his draft was reasonable top to bottom.

ModSocks 04-21-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16255831)
By his board I could also see us going with Andrew Booth at 29 and Drake Jackson at 50; same positions but their orders are flipped and I think you have better scheme fits with both guys.

If Andrew Booth is available @ 29 you ****ing run to the podium. He's my #1 right now assuming we sit @ 29.

That's my boy right now. The more i watch him the more i love his game.

The Franchise 04-21-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

I say it's realistic because it's just not one of those "well the Chiefs need A, B, C so we'll reach for whatever is there" kind of drafts.

All of those guys could reasonably be the BPA as well as guys who fall into a nice need niche for us. They represent opportunity AND value.

I just feel like that's how Veach will approach it. Personally I don't think Ebiketie is the right build here, but maybe the long arms WILL be enough to make up for the relatively short stature. By his board I could also see us going with Andrew Booth at 29 and Drake Jackson at 50; same positions but their orders are flipped and I think you have better scheme fits with both guys.

I would probably go with Booth and Jackson over Ebeketie and McCreary.

DJ's left nut 04-21-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16255842)
I would probably go with Booth and Jackson over Ebeketie and McCreary.

As would I.

I just think this is a more fair approximation than what we've seen from the "Chiefs will select Logan Hall and Skyy Moore because Spags loves versatility and they need a WR!!" crowd.

DJ's left nut 04-21-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16255836)
If Andrew Booth is available @ 29 you ****ing run to the podium. He's my #1 right now assuming we sit @ 29.

That's my boy right now. The more i watch him the more i love his game.

Sure seems like the sort of guy Spags would enjoy working with.

TambaBerry 04-21-2022 01:54 PM

Ebiketie is 6'2" to 6'3" 250-260

ModSocks 04-21-2022 01:55 PM

If the Chiefs somehow came away with Booth and Pickens i honestly wouldn't give a **** about the rest of the draft. Im so smitten with those two, lol.

Kiimo 04-21-2022 01:56 PM

Surely you mean your #1 target at CB where we're picking and not the #1 CB in the draft

The Franchise 04-21-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16255852)
Sure seems like the sort of guy Spags would enjoy working with.

I mean shit.....those 4 picks would help out this team a lot.

29: Andrew Booth
50: Drake Jackson

Booth can start day 1 outside. Burks can be schemed for his first year and help improve his route running. Jackson is at least a dedicated passrusher year 1. Brisker is a damn good 3rd safety and probably a Thornhill replacement in year 2.

TambaBerry 04-21-2022 01:57 PM

I'd rather take Kyler Gordon then Booth. Not sure Booth is a spags CB

staylor26 04-21-2022 01:59 PM

29. Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota
30. Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
50. Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego St.
62. John Metchie lll, WR, Alabama
94. Nick Cross, S, Maryland
103. Cade Otton, TE, Washington

duncan_idaho 04-21-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Right idea, wrong players.

Agree with taking Booth at 29, Jackson at 50.

I'd be pretty ecstatic to get Brisker at 62, too.

DJ's left nut 04-21-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 16255853)
Ebiketie is 6'2" to 6'3" 250-260

Yup. Short. Seems like an OLB to me. And maybe a little light, but you could keep Clark at SDE. It's not like Ingram was much heavier.

But with an arm length over 34 inches (longer than Drake Jackson and Jermaine Johnson), that may get him over the hump with the staff.

It's not impossible. I don't think it's terribly likely, but it isn't absurd. It isn't 'man, Spags would really love Logan Hall here...'

Look at the list and you've got Jones, Davis, Ojabo, Leal, Thibodeaux, Williams, Hall, Sanders, Mafe, Karlaftis, Watt, Cam Thomas, Nik Bonnitt and Aidan Hutchinson (among others) all as guys with arms shorter than Ebiketie has.

I feel like that might matter more than his raw height.

DJ's left nut 04-21-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 16255862)
I'd rather take Kyler Gordon then Booth. Not sure Booth is a spags CB

Expound.

Above average height, arm length and strength. Will play physical and is a fluid athlete. Extremely versatile coming from a major program as a top recruit who was asked to do everything. Good ball skills, willing tackler (perhaps too aggressive at time). Excellent intelligence and a hot motor.

I honestly can't see a single thing Spags wouldn't like about this guy. He's almost built in a lab for what we'd want to do.

staylor26 04-21-2022 02:08 PM

Yea, Booth is a no brainer if he’s there.

I don’t think he gets by the Bills at 25 though.

The Franchise 04-21-2022 02:10 PM

I'm going to laugh if Veach trades up for a CB.

ModSocks 04-21-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 16255859)
Surely you mean your #1 target at CB where we're picking and not the #1 CB in the draft

Well...there's Sauce. After that I think it's debatable and comes down to preference.

Kiimo 04-21-2022 02:13 PM

Guys I think are better than Booth:

Derek Stingley Jr.
Ahmad Gardner
Trent McDuffie
Roger McCreary

I'm sure this will get a facepalm from someone but I don't like how Booth gets burned by quick receivers

TambaBerry 04-21-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16255879)
Expound.

Above average height, arm length and strength. Will play physical and is a fluid athlete. Extremely versatile coming from a major program as a top recruit who was asked to do everything. Good ball skills, willing tackler (perhaps too aggressive at time). Excellent intelligence and a hot motor.

I honestly can't see a single thing Spags wouldn't like about this guy. He's almost built in a lab for what we'd want to do.

Physically he is fine yeah but Clemson corners worry be a bit.

ModSocks 04-21-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 16255897)
Guys I think are better than Booth:

Derek Stingley Jr. -Debateable
Ahmad Gardner
Trent McDuffie -Disagree
Roger McCreary -Disagree

I'm sure this will get a facepalm from someone but I don't like how Booth gets burned by quick receivers

IMO

Kiimo 04-21-2022 02:34 PM

If Derek's lisfranc injury isn't a problem it isn't remotely debateable.

Not remotely.

Quote:

One of the most complete CBs to come out in years. Amazing tracking ability in man coverage, especially for someone his size. Lisfranc surgery is the big question mark. Usually career debilitating but if he overcomes it he's the best player in the draft. Also questions about effort displayed while LSU was losing.
Thoughts on the other two: yeah it's opinion. I just kind of like their write-ups more

Trent McDuffie

Quote:

One of the best players in the draft if just average athletically. Constantly sticks to his receiver, great in the run game, can tackle in the open field, and has an okay jump ball. Much improved from freshman season. Doesn't pick passes and doesn't really look for them. Probably won't get away with fighting big receivers in the NFL like he does in college.
Roger McCreary
Quote:

Man corner in Georgia's scheme. As long as the routes outside he dominates. Plays tiny when he has to go inside and lets receivers beat him in hand fights on the line. Incredibly aggressive. Always around the football. Might get punished at the next level because he's just an average athlete and Georgia's front seven gave him a lot of coverage picks.

I read this about Booth and it worried me:

Quote:

Former top recruit that shouldn't play as bad as he does. Constantly burned by quick WRs. Great back pedal but Clemson plays him almost 10 yards off the line with help over the top. Great closing speed for underneath zone coverage. Can also easily cover go routes. Might be moved to free safety despite having the athleticism to be a lockdown corner.
I'm not really interested in a guy that they are already talking about moving to safety.

TambaBerry 04-21-2022 02:43 PM

Yep the way Clemson uses their CBs always worries me when it comes to playing man to man.

staylor26 04-21-2022 02:43 PM

Maybe you shouldn’t take one single person’s evaluation as gospel, especially a minor note in that evaluation.

Kiimo 04-21-2022 02:45 PM

Just presenting an alternative since we all keep falling in love with players.

I did it with Christian Watson earlier.

This is a high floor low ceiling draft anyway and most guys have question marks

BryanBusby 04-21-2022 02:49 PM

Wouldn't **** with Stingley. Not a fan of someone who quits because they got burnt.

Stryker 04-21-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16254926)
Fun exercise.

29. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas. Slim pickings at edge in this run, at least for this draft slot. Burks gives KC another super-sized WR, and one who can be a real weapon after the catch.

30 -----> to Detroit (30, 135 for 34, 97, which is 1 point off in value on the Hill chart)

34. Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor. Still not loving the EDGE values (Mafe was off the board at 22 in this run), I move on to a different player who fits in perfectly with the Chiefs' defense. Pitre will be the nickel corner and gives KC safety flexibility in 23+ should KC not retain Juan Thornhill.

50 -----> to Seattle (50, 121, 243 for 41. This is -4 for Seattle on the Hill but close enough to roll with)

41. Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State. Finally make an EDGE move and get a good athlete with the potential to grow into a more complete player. I do like his twitchy athleticism, and his arm length makes up for being a little shorter than a typical Chiefs DE).

62. Kingsley Enagbare, DE, South Carolina. Enagbare is not an overwhelming athlete, but he wins contests and is versatile. He gives me a strongside pairing for Ebiketie long-term.

94. Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama. Tolbert is a smooth receiver who gives you a little bit of everything, and I can't avoid the double-dip to keep rebuilding the room.

97. Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati. With Pitre in the fold, this might seem like an unnecessary move, but Cook gives KC a physical, true SS sort and someone who is a major upgrade as the subpackage dime safety.

103. Matt Waletzko, T, North Dakota. Looking around for a developmental T, Waletzko pops out over more mentioned prospects like Rasheed Walker and Zach Tom because of his length (36" arms). Potential long-term RT answer. I take him and groan inwardly at passing on Jeremy Ruckert, TE, and some great CB options (McCollum, Armour-Davis, Bryant).

7.233 ----> (233, 243 for 210. Neutral on TV chart)

210. Sam Webb, CB, Missouri Western. Come on, now. You didn't think Veach was just going to hang out the whole rest of this, did you? He comes back up to grab a really athletic developmental CB prospect.

And that's it.

KC reinforces the WR and DE spots with guys who can contribute right away and adds some legit star potential to that room. Pitre gives them the flexibility needed at DB to continue shopping in the bargain bin for CBs and trying to develop its way forward.

With the way the board fell, it didn't make sense to move up for a DE in the first, and I don't believe KC will do that for a WR, ultimately.

I actually see where you are going with this and I like it! Smart and well thought out without selling next years picks! Great job! :thumb:

kccrow 04-22-2022 02:01 AM

Here's my stab at what Veach will actually do:

1-6. ER Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon (KC trades 1-29, 1-30, 3-94 to CAR for 1-6)
Here's what we know, when it comes to fixing an issue Veach is incredibly aggressive. So with that, I fully believe that Veach acquired draft capital in order to go get an upper-tier pass rusher in this draft. From a pure pass rush standpoint, there's probably not a better player in this draft than Thibodeaux. If his demeanor truly has rubbed some teams the wrong way, he's going to be a value outside of the top 3. Carolina is a perfect trade partner in the top 10 as they lack picks and they are outside the division and conference. I think Veach can work both Carolina's need for picks and Thibodeaux's potential devaluation to make a move and secure a top edge.

2-50. CB Tariq Woolen, UTSA
After losing Ward, CB is a legitimately enormous need for KC that's being extremely underplayed. We've caught wind of the Chiefs looking at a ton of late-round corners but not many early on. I believe, though, KC is taking one much earlier than expected and they did have a pre-draft virtual with Woolen. Woolen has only played CB for two years but he's got special tools. Being 6'4" with a 42" vertical and 4.26 speed is special, but he's also shown extremely smooth hips and especially for his size. Getting a big, long corner again is probably on the docket and Woolen could be an absolute stud after a couple of seasons. This is Veach's 2022 big-dick swing at traits like he's made in the past with guys like Willie Gay and Mecole Hardman.

2-62. WR John Metchie III, Alabama
Metchie is every bit as good as, if not better than, Jahan Dotson who is regarded as a late 1st rounder. Metchie tore his ACL later in the season so may not make much of an impact in 2022 but KC really doesn't need him to be a playmaker right now. Metchie can learn the playbook and come back ready to secure a starting role in 2023.

3-103. WR Erik Ezukanma, Texas Tech
Ezukanma is a very intriguing WR and the Chiefs didn't have him in for a visit for nothing. He's got some major upside that was held back by subpar QB play during his career. He's got a lot of JuJu in him and could easily be a late-day-two selection that far exceeds his stock.

4-121. RB Rachaad White, Arizona State
The Chiefs have no doubt at least been looking at RBs and the one thing that pops for me looking at the core stable they have is that they lost the speed and pass-catching element they had with Jerick McKinnon. I think their visit with White was very telling in that they want more from the position long-term. The signing of Jones to a 1-year deal means they aren't satisfied with just CEH either (at least in my mind).

4-135. OT Kellen Diesch, Arizona State
The Chiefs were looking at Diesch early on and his ability in the passing game is no doubt intriguing. I don't love his shorter arms at tackle but it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. I think that Veach is going to tend to go back towards a bit more athleticism on the perimeter OLine.

6-200. TE Lucas Krull, Pittsburgh (KC trades 7-233, 7-243 to NE for 6-200)
The Chiefs have seemed intent on looking at adding another TE and Krull definitely fits as a nice project to work with. He's solid as a receiver and has time to develop behind Kelce. I think his passion is a definite plus, and so is the fact he's a local kid.

7-251. CB Samuel Womack, Toledo
Womack is a guy that you look at primarily as a nickel corner but the Chiefs are lacking in that area a bit with the free-agent losses of Tyrann Mathieu and Mike Hughes. Womack isn't likely physical enough as a tackler to make a move to free safety but he is disruptive as a corner with a tone of PBUs and he has the agility to play in the slot.

7-259. S Nasir Greer, Wake Forest
Providing his medicals were in line during his top-30 visit, I can see Greer as the type of player Veach would take a swing at late. Greer looked like an elite player in the making early in his career before a torn ACL took him out in 2020 which was followed by a very down and inconsistent year in 2021 where he didn't look 100% back. The Chiefs don't have a standout need at S this season.

Couch-Potato 04-22-2022 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16256647)

Here's what we know, when it comes to fixing an issue Veach is incredibly aggressive. So with that, I fully believe that Veach acquired draft capital in order to go get an upper-tier pass rusher in this draft. From a pure pass rush standpoint, there's probably not a better player in this draft than Thibodeaux. If his demeanor truly has rubbed some teams the wrong way, he's going to be a value outside of the top 3. Carolina is a perfect trade partner in the top 10 as they lack picks and they are outside the division and conference. I think Veach can work both Carolina's need for picks and Thibodeaux's potential devaluation to make a move and secure a top edge.

After losing Ward, CB is a legitimately enormous need for KC that's being extremely underplayed. We've caught wind of the Chiefs looking at a ton of late-round corners but not many early on. I believe, though, KC is taking one much earlier than expected and they did have a pre-draft virtual with Woolen. Woolen has only played CB for two years but he's got special tools. Being 6'4" with a 42" vertical and 4.26 speed is special, but he's also shown extremely smooth hips and especially for his size. Getting a big, long corner again is probably on the docket and Woolen could be an absolute stud after a couple of seasons. This is Veach's 2022 big-dick swing at traits like he's made in the past with guys like Willie Gay and Mecole Hardman.

Metchie is every bit as good as, if not better than, Jahan Dotson who is regarded as a late 1st rounder. Metchie tore his ACL later in the season so may not make much of an impact in 2022 but KC really doesn't need him to be a playmaker right now. Metchie can learn the playbook and come back ready to secure a starting role in 2023.

Ezukanma is a very intriguing WR and the Chiefs didn't have him in for a visit for nothing. He's got some major upside that was held back by subpar QB play during his career. He's got a lot of JuJu in him and could easily be a late-day-two selection that far exceeds his stock.

The Chiefs have no doubt at least been looking at RBs and the one thing that pops for me looking at the core stable they have is that they lost the speed and pass-catching element they had with Jerick McKinnon. I think their visit with White was very telling in that they want more from the position long-term. The signing of Jones to a 1-year deal means they aren't satisfied with just CEH either (at least in my mind).

The Chiefs were looking at Diesch early on and his ability in the passing game is no doubt intriguing. I don't love his shorter arms at tackle but it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. I think that Veach is going to tend to go back towards a bit more athleticism on the perimeter OLine.

The Chiefs have seemed intent on looking at adding another TE and Krull definitely fits as a nice project to work with. He's solid as a receiver and has time to develop behind Kelce. I think his passion is a definite plus, and so is the fact he's a local kid.

Womack is a guy that you look at primarily as a nickel corner but the Chiefs are lacking in that area a bit with the free-agent losses of Tyrann Mathieu and Mike Hughes. Womack isn't likely physical enough as a tackler to make a move to free safety but he is disruptive as a corner with a tone of PBUs and he has the agility to play in the slot.

Providing his medicals were in line during his top-30 visit, I can see Greer as the type of player Veach would take a swing at late. Greer looked like an elite player in the making early in his career before a torn ACL took him out in 2020 which was followed by a very down and inconsistent year in 2021 where he didn't look 100% back. The Chiefs don't have a standout need at S this season.

Would love to see this ultra-aggressive move from Veach! Love the Metchie and Diesch picks.

Chris Meck 04-22-2022 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16255887)

I'll laugh too, because it would mean that past tendencies mean nothing and I have no idea what Veach is thinking.

Chris Meck 04-22-2022 05:46 AM

Quote:

Other than a corner in the 2nd, which would be VERY out of character for Veach, I like this draft just fine although I would probably swap out a couple of names-like Pickens or Pierce for Metchie. Veach has just shown that he doesn't value the CB position (especially boundary corner) all that much and would prefer to bargain shop vets and mid to low round picks.

kcbubb 04-22-2022 08:01 AM

Looking at our roster, I don’t understand how so many at chiefsplanet are ok with low ceiling wrs with our current roster of wrs. We have 3 solid wrs. Are guys like Moore, Tolbert, or pickens gonna get much playing time? We need a high ceiling wr like burks or watson. At least burks & watson could fill the gadget role at an elite level. The defense needs players with that solid ability level that many of y’all are proposing using draft level capital for at wr. We need a top de and top wr and depth and solid players across our defense. Fill the depth for next year at wr in the 4th or 7th with developmental guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 16255774)
Alright. The chiefs have 38 roster locks and 8 bubble players by my estimate.
QB: Mahomes, Buechle, Henne (0 need)
RB: Helaire, Jones, Williams, Gore, Burton (0 need)
WR: Scantling, Smith-Schuster, Hardman, (bubble: Gordon, Dieter, Fountain) (need 2-3, only MVS is on contract next year)
TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson, Bell (0 need)
OT: Brown, Wylie, Niang, (bubble: Wanogho) (need 1)
IOL: Humphrey, Smith, Thuney, Router, Allegretti (0 need)
DE: Clark, Danna (bubble: Kaindoh) (need 2-3, Clark gone after this year.)
DT: Jones, Nnadi, Saunders, Wharton (need 1)
LB: Bolton, Gay (bubble: Harris) (need 2-3)
CB: Sneed, Fenton (bubble: Baker, Barcoo) (need 2-3)
S: Reid, Thornhill (bubble: Bush) (need 1-2)
ST: Butker, Townsend, Winchester

Overall this means that the Chiefs need to add 11-16 players to compete for roster spots between the draft and PFAs.

To compete for starting positions, the chiefs need 1 DE, 1 WR, 1 LB, 1 DT, and 1 CB. 1 S is also critically important.

Dante84 04-22-2022 08:12 AM

I could see Veach jumping to 10 for Jermaine Johnson.

I legitimately am expecting a trade up at this point. I think the two 1sts are burning a hole in his pocket.

Chris Meck 04-22-2022 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16256818)

I legitimately am expecting a trade up at this point. I think the two 1sts are burning a hole in his pocket.

a trade up and a trade down with the two firsts isn't a bad plan.

I'd prefer to trade around like a madman and land like 6 picks in the second round, honestly; I think that's where the talent in this draft is.

wachashi 04-22-2022 08:34 AM

Round 1, 29: Boye Mafe, EDGE
Round 1, 30: Jahan Dotson, WR
Round 2, 50: Logan Hall, EDGE/DT
Round 2, 62: Roger McCreary, CB
Round 3, 94: Alec Pierce, WR
Round 3, 103: Bryan Cook, S

Kiimo 04-22-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

I would never stop cumming

The Franchise 04-22-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16256685)
Other than a corner in the 2nd, which would be VERY out of character for Veach, I like this draft just fine although I would probably swap out a couple of names-like Pickens or Pierce for Metchie. Veach has just shown that he doesn't value the CB position (especially boundary corner) all that much and would prefer to bargain shop vets and mid to low round picks.

What exactly has been "in character" for Veach so far this offseason? He's basically gone completely opposite of what he's done since he took the job. I could see him drafting a CB in the first two rounds if there is one that he coveted.

Plus I forget which year it was but he wanted to go CB in the 2nd round but they all got taken before he could trade up for one.

ModSocks 04-22-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16255887)

I don't understand why this would be a surprise at all.

I fully expect it to happen.

kccrow 04-22-2022 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257039)
What exactly has been "in character" for Veach so far this offseason? He's basically gone completely opposite of what he's done since he took the job. I could see him drafting a CB in the first two rounds if there is one that he coveted.

Plus I forget which year it was but he wanted to go CB in the 2nd round but they all got taken before he could trade up for one.

He was also still on the staff that took CB's in the 3rd round in 3 consecutive seasons and one in the 1st round. I don't know that it's not in play. He simply hasn't had to do it. He got tremendous value seasons out of the trade for Fuller and the FA acquisition of Breeland that allowed youth like Ward, Sneed, and Fenton to grow but now the cupboard is a bit barer. We'll have to see. I put nothing past Veach, honestly.

The Franchise 04-22-2022 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16257095)
I don't understand why this would be a surprise at all.

I fully expect it to happen.

Because people are still stuck on "Veach doesn't value CB highly". He's never had the chance to be able to grab one. We reportedly were in on Gladney in the 1st but got sniped and then he got sniped in the 2nd, I think it was 2019, for CBs that he liked.

Dunerdr 04-22-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16256818)

I think its the second and thirds burning the hole. With people saying the meat of this draft is 40-80 or whatever the narrative is, i think he is going to try to take advantage of a gm who thinks the same and try to get 2 first round picks in.

BryanBusby 04-22-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257109)
Because people are still stuck on "Veach doesn't value CB highly". He's never had the chance to be able to grab one. We reportedly were in on Gladney in the 1st but got sniped and then he got sniped in the 2nd, I think it was 2019, for CBs that he liked.

What corner are you really going to trade up for? I don't think any of them are worth going after aggressively.

You use Gladney as an example but Bert wasn't motivated to flip any picks to land him.

O.city 04-22-2022 10:31 AM

Stingley

The Franchise 04-22-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16257156)
What corner are you really going to trade up for? I don't think any of them are worth going after aggressively.

You use Gladney as an example but Bert wasn't motivated to flip any picks to land him.

I don't mean trading up very far. I could see 4-5 spots to grab one of the guys like Booth or Elam.

BryanBusby 04-22-2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257166)
I don't mean trading up very far. I could see 4-5 spots to grab one of the guys like Booth or Elam.

Maybe Veach is more thirsty now but not sure that I agree.

Kiimo 04-22-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16257158)
Stingley

Pipe dream. If he's healthy we'd never get him and if he isn't we'd never take him.

chiefforlife 04-22-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257166)

If he really wants one of those guys, I think he can stay put.

Booth, Elam and Gordon. He will get one of those guys right where we are, IF he takes a CB that high.

I feel like Edge and WR are going to be round one priorities, possibly Safety if the board dictates.

Nightfyre 04-22-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16257104)
He was also still on the staff that took CB's in the 3rd round in 3 consecutive seasons and one in the 1st round. I don't know that it's not in play. He simply hasn't had to do it. He got tremendous value seasons out of the trade for Fuller and the FA acquisition of Breeland that allowed youth like Ward, Sneed, and Fenton to grow but now the cupboard is a bit barer. We'll have to see. I put nothing past Veach, honestly.

Also guys like Woolen do not grow on trees. He is a physical anomaly. If Veach thinks that he can do something with a guy like that, I have no problems with him being aggressive in securing him.

The Franchise 04-22-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 16257532)
If he really wants one of those guys, I think he can stay put.

Booth, Elam and Gordon. He will get one of those guys right where we are, IF he takes a CB that high.

I feel like Edge and WR are going to be round one priorities, possibly Safety if the board dictates.

I'm really going to laugh if we don't take a WR in the first round. The amount of bitching and whining between the end of round 1 and our pick at 50 is going to be amazing to watch.

kccrow 04-22-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257551)
I'm really going to laugh if we don't take a WR in the first round. The amount of bitching and whining between the end of round 1 and our pick at 50 is going to be amazing to watch.

Imagine if they have to wait until 62 or 94... The place might implode.

The Franchise 04-22-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16257562)
Imagine if they have to wait until 62 or 94... The place might implode.

I'm here for it....and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't wait until then. People are looking at this WR group and thinking that it's missing a true #1 WR. It is...I'll agree with that. But there also isn't any fix right now where you're getting one. I'm not trading up for Jameson Williams.

Get a guy in the 2nd and then another one later on.....and the offense will be just fine. Even with how it stands right now....we're a top 10 offense.

DJ's left nut 04-22-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16257158)
Stingley

I think he's reclaimed CB1 after looking healthy at his pro day.

He may be the first non-DE/OT drafted.

That ain't happening. Even if you want to sell the farm for the 6th from Carolina, Stingley may go before that spot.

DJ's left nut 04-22-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257569)
I'm here for it....and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't wait until then. People are looking at this WR group and thinking that it's missing a true #1 WR. It is...I'll agree with that. But there also isn't any fix right now where you're getting one. I'm not trading up for Jameson Williams.

Get a guy in the 2nd and then another one later on.....and the offense will be just fine. Even with how it stands right now....we're a top 10 offense.

Our 'true #1' is Travis Kelce.

Kelce and three #2/3 types would absolutely dominate.

Again, we have the luxury of a generational talent under center. Put that to its highest and best use by letting him cook. "**** it, Tyreek down there somewhere" is something Matt Cassel could have done.

We'll see the best version of Patrick Mahomes when we make his weapons DEEPER, not when we emphasize the top end of them.

The Franchise 04-22-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16257581)
Our 'true #1' is Travis Kelce.

Kelce and three #2/3 types would absolutely dominate.

Again, we have the luxury of a generational talent under center. Put that to its highest and best use by letting him cook. "**** it, Tyreek down there somewhere" is something Matt Cassel could have done.

We'll see the best version of Patrick Mahomes when we make his weapons DEEPER, not when we emphasize the top end of them.

Exactly. Say you roll into Week 1 with the following: Kelce, Juju, MVS, Hardman, Tolbert and Ezukanma as your top weapons. That's still a top 10 offense. (And feel free to switch out the rookies in that example)

In 2023....you're still sitting good with Kelce, MVS, Tolbert, Ezukanma and you have the ability to draft another 1-2 rookies before the season while Kelce is on the downturn of his career.

And that's not even factoring in FA or any of the guys we have now turning into something: Fortson, Gray, Powell, Fountain or a TE that we draft this year.

staylor26 04-22-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16257576)

That ain't happening. Even if you want to sell the farm for the 6th from Carolina, Stingley may go before that spot.

Yup

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2. Derek Stingley Jr. is the hottest name in the draft. There&#39;s even buzz about him being drafted in the top 3 picks.<br><br>Said one scout when asked about his subpar 2020 season—&quot;I&#39;d have checked out on that team, too. That was a shitshow.&quot;</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1517591882464903170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kccrow 04-22-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16257576)

I think Stingley will be lucky to crack the top 20, and he should feel good if he's a 1st round pick. He hasn't been good or healthy at the same time in a couple of years.

Sauce Gardner is probably the top pick at CB. I wouldn't bet against Booth and McDuffie going ahead of Stingley too.

chiefforlife 04-22-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257551)

Im trying not to get to locked on to any position or player for that matter. Veach has surprised us all, every year. If people are being reasonable, there is no reason to doubt Mr. Veach at this point. Therefor NO reason to freak out at whatever he does. I cant wait to see how it plays out!!

Im only guessing because thats all we can do, my guess is Edge and WR in round 1.

If that turns out to be Edge and CB/S, sweet.

If its WR and CB/S and he waits on Edge? How would you feel about that?

The Franchise 04-22-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 16257629)
Im trying not to get to locked on to any position or player for that matter. Veach has surprised us all, every year. If people are being reasonable, there is no reason to doubt Mr. Veach at this point. Therefor NO reason to freak out at whatever he does. I cant wait to see how it plays out!!

Im only guessing because thats all we can do, my guess is Edge and WR in round 1.

I mean, it doesn't really matter how I feel about it. The only way I'm going to be pissed is if he doesn't come out of this draft with at least one DE.

ModSocks 04-22-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16257602)
Yup

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2. Derek Stingley Jr. is the hottest name in the draft. There&#39;s even buzz about him being drafted in the top 3 picks.<br><br>Said one scout when asked about his subpar 2020 season—&quot;I&#39;d have checked out on that team, too. That was a shitshow.&quot;</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1517591882464903170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So what you're saying is, if you draft him in the top 3 you can count on him "checking out" because if you're picking that high, you're most assuredly a shitshow.

chiefforlife 04-22-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16257633)
I mean, it doesn't really matter how I feel about it. The only way I'm going to be pissed is if he doesn't come out of this draft with at least one DE.

I dont see that happening either. Maybe if he takes a stud DT then only on DE?

Still not likely, I see two DEs and two WRs. Not necessarily in the first two rounds.

CB, S, T, DT, LB, TE... Man this is going to be the best draft!

kccrow 04-22-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 16257629)

I wouldn't freak out. There's a solid group of guys in Mafe, Jackson, Thomas, Ebiketie, Williams, or Paschal and at least a few of them should be available at 50. Now if he waits until 62, that could be problematic.

Kiimo 04-22-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16257626)
I think Stingley will be lucky to crack the top 20, and he should feel good if he's a 1st round pick. He hasn't been good or healthy at the same time in a couple of years.

Sauce Gardner is probably the top pick at CB. I wouldn't bet against Booth and McDuffie going ahead of Stingley too.

What

duncan_idaho 04-22-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

I like the thought. I can see it.

I think I’m the only person who isn’t enamored with Woolen. I just don’t trust him that high. And I know he probably will go that high.

But he seems like the kind of raw, super fast athlete that Al Davis spent the end of his life failing with to me…

JPH83 04-23-2022 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16258116)
I like the thought. I can see it.

I think I’m the only person who isn’t enamored with Woolen. I just don’t trust him that high. And I know he probably will go that high.

But he seems like the kind of raw, super fast athlete that Al Davis spent the end of his life failing with to me…

Nope, I agree on Woolen. Think it's a massive projection based on athleticism. Probably a high ceiling low floor, and I might not hate it. But I'm way lower on him than some of these boards.

Couch-Potato 04-25-2022 09:31 AM

#29. DE Mafe
#30. WR Dotson
#50. Someone falls here: Wyatt, Ojabo, Pickens, Dean, Elam, Pitre
#62. CB Woolen