ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338240)

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 08:10 PM

Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips?

Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?

scho63 05-09-2021 08:12 PM

Don't burn the house down.

That's all I got.

TLO 05-09-2021 08:12 PM

Should have picked up an Air Fryer while you were at it.

Woogieman 05-09-2021 08:14 PM

For practice, smoke a shit load of Chex Party mix, add some nuts, you can even add peanut M&Ms. After eating several pounds of that in a few days, you are ready for steak. Thick cuts work best...it will be the most tender, flavorful steak you've ever had.

Jewish Rabbi 05-09-2021 08:17 PM

I normally use Bar S hot dogs on my pellet smoker, although my co-worker swears by Oscar Mayer.

Buehler445 05-09-2021 08:45 PM

They’re pretty easy. Just make sure the pellets don’t get wet and if there is a shutdown procedure follow it.

MTG#10 05-09-2021 08:51 PM

cooper will be along shortly to criticize your purchase.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-09-2021 08:55 PM

Low and slow prime rib is excellent... buy good pellets.

Chief Pagan 05-09-2021 09:02 PM

Don't tell the purists, but if you add enough liquid smoke to your BBQ sauce nobody knows whether you smoked your ribs or only grilled them.

Unless you are the one doing the grilling and since I don't have a pellet smoker, I mess around with smoker boxes...

digger 05-09-2021 09:08 PM

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...t=grill+inside

Don't do this...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fb3b5f9163.jpg

chop 05-09-2021 09:09 PM

Don’t do the entire cook on the smoker. Once you got enough smoke on the meat finish cooking in the oven. Saves pellets. If you need pointers go to howtobbqright.com

Abba-Dabba 05-09-2021 09:13 PM

Not into the pellet smokers. Prefer and use stick burners.

Not understanding how a 4-1-1 method cut the time in half. It's 6 hrs either way. Just like a 3-2-1. Maybe I just don't get it.

2bikemike 05-09-2021 09:14 PM

Get a good remote reading thermometer to keep an eye on the internal meat temps.

Abba-Dabba 05-09-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 15667557)
Don't tell the purists, but if you add enough liquid smoke to your BBQ sauce nobody knows whether you smoked your ribs or only grilled them.

Unless you are the one doing the grilling and since I don't have a pellet smoker, I mess around with smoker boxes...

Sounds like what a cafeteria's like Furr's would do. I'll have to just trust you on it.

Still any Furr's around?

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 09:38 PM

Just your childish post.

Glad to see you're posting like the Bar S "Weiner" you really are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15667546)
cooper will be along shortly to criticize your purchase.

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 09:48 PM

Pellets take all the fun out of locating/ smoking with exotic or fruit woods.

it's like burning MDF boards just with liquid smoke and/ or apple juice in the mixture. I'm with Sponge on using stick burners.

Leave the pellets to the ladies.

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 10:00 PM

I'm with sponge

I like stick burners with a selection of fruit and hardwoods. Pecan and apple with a little red oak can't be bought in a bag.

But then again, your wifey can now smoke meat just as good or better than you.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:05 PM

Sounds like my concerns are shared by several of you. That the flavor won't be as good with the pellets. I may just use it for grilling and stick with my wood smoker for smoking.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 15667569)
Get a good remote reading thermometer to keep an eye on the internal meat temps.

It actually comes with 2 temp probes that monitor the meat temp through the PID

Buehler445 05-09-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15667597)
Sounds like my concerns are shared by several of you. That the flavor won't be as good with the pellets. I may just use it for grilling and stick with my wood smoker for smoking.

I mean do what you want, but honestly, sometimes it’s nice to turn out Q that is maybe a notch down from your best cook on the stick burner, but turn it out while you’re busy and don’t have to babysit.

Besides there are pellet rigs in competitions, so don’t let the naysayers dissuade you without trying.

Throw a butt on there and see what happens.

Malcom Reed from the link above and Meat Church BBQ YouTube channels smoke a lot of stuff on pellets. I’m sure there are a million other channels as well.

Give it a try, if you don’t like it no harm no foul, but definitely try it. It’s super easy. And I fully acknowledge that for some dudes the joy is in the process, but convenience has value.

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 10:24 PM

pellet smokers are like automatic trannys. Just because most people buy the automatic doesn't make them better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667601)
I mean do what you want, but honestly, sometimes it’s nice to turn out Q that is maybe a notch down from your best cook on the stick burner, but turn it out while you’re busy and don’t have to babysit.

Besides there are pellet rigs in competitions, so don’t let the naysayers dissuade you without trying.

Malcom Reed from the link above and Meat Church BBQ YouTube channels smoke a lot of stuff on pellets. I’m sure there are a million other channels as well.

Give it a try, if you don’t like it no harm no foul, but definitely try it. It’s super easy. And I fully acknowledge that for some dudes the joy is in the process, but convenience has value.

BigRedChief 05-09-2021 10:34 PM

Check the BBQ thread. Lots of advice in there.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667601)

Oh, I'm definitely going to give it a try. You make good points. I don't smoke nearly as often as I would like for the simple reason that I don't have 8-10 hours to babysit it and keep the temperature right.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15667610)
Check the BBQ thread. Lots of advice in there.

I thought about that. But I assumed that there wouldn't be much about pellet smokers in there. I'll check it. Thanks.

BryanBusby 05-09-2021 10:43 PM

Get a tube of Pillsbury biscuits and cook them in the smoker. It will help you figure out what spots on your grill are hotter than other spots.

carcosa 05-09-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15667504)
Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?

The earth was very hot when it was first formed

LoneWolf 05-10-2021 03:31 AM

Make sure to season the grill for 600 years before it’s first use. Professionals call it the Age of the Earth method.

Flying High D 05-10-2021 03:44 AM

Practice smoker, competitive smokers use Rec Tec

Jewish Rabbi 05-10-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 15667606)
pellet smokers are like automatic trannys. Just because most people buy the automatic doesn't make them better.

Cooper the tranny expert

Coogs 05-10-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667544)
They’re pretty easy. Just make sure the pellets don’t get wet and if there is a shutdown procedure follow it.

This is sound advice. I left pellets in the auger once over the off-season. Bad mistake. The pellets absorbed moisture from the air, and set up like concrete.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-10-2021 06:04 AM

Pellet Grills/Smokers are just that, a combo. They do a great job of grilling meat. I put a seer on my steaks first in a cast iron pan... They smoke OK, actually pretty good, for little work, but it's obviously not as good as an actual stick smoker...

Beef Supreme 05-10-2021 06:24 AM

I wouldn't eat the pellets if I were you.

HayWire 05-10-2021 06:32 AM

:doh!: Seems like you're getting quality advice here

I've always looked at it as each smoker/grill is different.

Each persons taste/preference is different.

There are a ton of ways you can smoke or grill meat and someone will disagree.

My favorite part of grilling and smoking is the actual act of standing next to the grill while poking around trying to come up with ideas.

If I did have one opinion to offer would be to buy cheap meat at first. Grab you a cold ones(s) and spend a weekend messing with it. You can change so much when smoking meats. Everything from prep to cooking times and temps. Don't waste a lot of money on an expensive piece of meat until you get YOUR recipe and time/temps down.

Just my 2 cents

GloryDayz 05-10-2021 06:40 AM

THis might be worth a watch. I've always found this guy to give honest and good advice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SzudBzSTxl4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiTown 05-10-2021 06:49 AM

I have a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill Smoker. I absolutely love it. Smoking has as much, if not more, to do with prepping the meat as it does smoking it. So, I scoff at all the “traditionalists” that say pellet grills can’t provide the same smoke and flavor as stick burners. It’s a load of BS

Enjoy the pellet grill. They are fun and easy to use.

chop 05-10-2021 06:55 AM

You can get plenty of smoke in your meat from a pellet smoker. I just did two pork butts and a brisket in my pellet smoker and they turned out great. I also have a stick burner. One thing you can do with a pellet smoker that you can’t do with a stick burner is to cook food over night. Throw your meat on the smoker at a temp of around 200 degrees and let it cook low and slow while you sleep. Turn the temp up when you wake up and the food is ready sooner. There’s fun in managing a fire then there are times you just want the food because you have other things to do also.

Bwana 05-10-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 15667677)
I have a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill Smoker. I absolutely love it. Smoking has as much, if not more, to do with prepping the meat as it does smoking it. So, I scoff at all the “traditionalists” that say pellet grills can’t provide the same smoke and flavor as stick burners. It’s a load of BS

Enjoy the pellet grill. They are fun and easy to use.

Yep, that's the exact model I have. The beast weighs about as much as a small bus and does a fantastic job of smoking. The thickness of the steel really helps me out when it gets colder around here as well. I have had stick burners in the past and as you stated, you can't tell the difference in the end product.

In58men 05-10-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger (Post 15667564)

You know I suffer from PTSD right? Thanks for starting my Monday with a bang.

MTG#10 05-10-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 15667583)
Just your childish post.

Glad to see you're posting like the Bar S "Weiner" you really are.

And then you did exactly what I said you would.

ROFL

Abba-Dabba 05-10-2021 08:28 AM

Should have never said any thing about a stick burner. Just not into pellet.

For those those that like their pellet smokers. I have no issue there. You do you, boo boo.

But a traeger box store knockoff isn't going to perform as well like a yoder.

What did the yoder run, $2500 without the competition cart? Big difference in the $300-500 smokers in the OP than the professional 2+ thousand dollar Yoder smokers.

Bwana 05-10-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15667729)
Should have never said any thing about a stick burner. Just not into pellet.

For those those that like their pellet smokers. I have no issue there. You do you, boo boo.

But a traeger box store knockoff isn't going to perform as well like a yoder.

What did the yoder run, $2500 without the competition cart? Big difference in the $300-500 smokers in the OP than the professional 2+ thousand dollar Yoder smokers.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet/...-pellet-grill/

Fish 05-10-2021 08:48 AM

For best results, pre-soak your pellets in liquid smoke.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...edish_chef.jpg

MTG#10 05-10-2021 08:49 AM

I've always been a bbq purest, would only smoke over wood and grill over charcoal. Then last year my buddy wanted me to make some ribs on his new RecTeq pellet smoker for his daughter's graduation party. I offered to make them at home on my offset then bring them over but he insisted so after warning him they wouldn't be as good as they normally are I said fine.

As much as I hate to admit it, they were nearly identical to what I've made for years on my WSM and offset. So I bought a RecTeq Stampede for myself and haven't regretted it at all. The only thing I don't like about it is it's making me lazy and I've been finding myself using it more than my stick burners.

dlphg9 05-10-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 15667687)
You know I suffer from PTSD right? Thanks for starting my Monday with a bang.

Do you really?

Dartgod 05-10-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 15667606)

A good friend took first in ribs at the Jacks Daniels World Championship Invitational Barbecue contest a few years ago with a pellet smoker.

As usual, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

ChiTown 05-10-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 15667679)
Yep, that's the exact model I have. The beast weighs about as much as a small bus and does a fantastic job of smoking. The thickness of the steel really helps me out when it gets colder around here as well. I have had stick burners in the past and as you stated, you can't tell the difference in the end product.

I had an island built and bought the drop in version of the YS640. You are correct, colder temps don't bother the smoker with the thickness of that unit. Hell, it's so heavy, my wife can hardly open the hood :)

Lzen 05-10-2021 09:28 AM

I just bought a ZGrill (ZPG-7002B) a couple of months ago. Lowes had them on sale. They said they had purchased a bunch more than they intended so they had to mark them down. They were originally $500 and they had them marked down to $200. I figured why not get into pellet grilling for a small price. So far, I love it.

I would recommend you get yourself a wireless temp probe for your meat.

This thing makes smoking/grilling easy. It's hard to over cook food and easy to cook it just right if you have a temp probe.

Lzen 05-10-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chop (Post 15667678)
You can get plenty of smoke in your meat from a pellet smoker. I just did two pork butts and a brisket in my pellet smoker and they turned out great. I also have a stick burner. One thing you can do with a pellet smoker that you can’t do with a stick burner is to cook food over night. Throw your meat on the smoker at a temp of around 200 degrees and let it cook low and slow while you sleep. Turn the temp up when you wake up and the food is ready sooner. There’s fun in managing a fire then there are times you just want the food because you have other things to do also.

I smoked my first pork butt on there on the Saturday night before Easter for all my relatives who were coming the next day. I started smoking a 10lb butt at about 4pm but I only did it for about an hour. Needless to say, I was up at 3-3:30am taking the thing off the grill because it was done cooking. Lesson learned. Next time, I will do like you suggest and smoke for several hours and not actually start the cooking temp until right before bed.

tooge 05-10-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Ok, first off, nice buy. I have a pellet smoker (Grilla) and a WSM. By comparison, you won't get quite the smoke from a pellet so if you like more smoke flavor, use a smoke tube or box in the smoker. I prefer a lighter smoke so I don't use one.

As for the ribs, do NOT foil them at all. That essentially steams them and while it does speed the process, you lose quite a bit of the bark and meat juice to steam. Put the smoker on 225 and smoke for 5 hours for baby backs and 6 for spares. Use the bend test to make sure they are done, or check with a fork and done when fork tender. Those times should pretty much get you there though. You will have a great bark and flavor. If you want to add sauce, add it the last 45 minutes or so.

Lzen 05-10-2021 10:00 AM

Get one of these to use exclusively for cleaning out the ash in the firebox.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...0100/202017218

jjchieffan 05-10-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15667820)
I just bought a ZGrill (ZPG-7002B) a couple of months ago. Lowes had them on sale. They said they had purchased a bunch more than they intended so they had to mark them down. They were originally $500 and they had them marked down to $200. I figured why not get into pellet grilling for a small price. So far, I love it.

I would recommend you get yourself a wireless temp probe for your meat.

This thing makes smoking/grilling easy. It's hard to over cook food and easy to cook it just right if you have a temp probe.

That's the one I got, except that I got the 2F, which is this year's model. It has a PID and 2 probes. I got it at Sam's, but this link at Amazon has the best pictures and description.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pd_rd_wg=4cwbZ

GloryDayz 05-10-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 15667857)
Ok, first off, nice buy. I have a pellet smoker (Grilla) and a WSM. By comparison, you won't get quite the smoke from a pellet so if you like more smoke flavor, use a smoke tube or box in the smoker. I prefer a lighter smoke so I don't use one.

As for the ribs, do NOT foil them at all. That essentially steams them and while it does speed the process, you lose quite a bit of the bark and meat juice to steam. Put the smoker on 225 and smoke for 5 hours for baby backs and 6 for spares. Use the bend test to make sure they are done, or check with a fork and done when fork tender. Those times should pretty much get you there though. You will have a great bark and flavor. If you want to add sauce, add it the last 45 minutes or so.

1,000,000% truth. I finally got one and the thing is simply amazing...

Chief Pagan 05-10-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15667761)
I've always been a bbq purest, would only smoke over wood and grill over charcoal. Then last year my buddy wanted me to make some ribs on his new RecTeq pellet smoker for his daughter's graduation party. I offered to make them at home on my offset then bring them over but he insisted so after warning him they wouldn't be as good as they normally are I said fine.

As much as I hate to admit it, they were nearly identical to what I've made for years on my WSM and offset. So I bought a RecTeq Stampede for myself and haven't regretted it at all. The only thing I don't like about it is it's making me lazy and I've been finding myself using it more than my stick burners.

Damn modern conveniences. Why the other day the grandkid was asking me why didn’t I buy ribs from a grocery store instead of butchering hogs in the backyard and making my suburban neighbors mad at me.

ChiTown 05-10-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 15667903)
1,000,000% truth. I finally got one and the thing is simply amazing...

I just started smoking cheese with my A-MAZE-N cold smoker tube. Love it.

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ....jpg?size=pdhi

jjchieffan 05-10-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 15667857)

Thank you. Great input. I didn't think that the foil steaming sounded like a great idea. As for the smoke tube, I'm going to look into that. I like plenty of smoke flavor.

MTG#10 05-10-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15667876)

Great advice. First time I cleaned mine out I forgot to put the filter back on (used it for water previously) and completely doused my neighbor's yard in ash. It rained a few hours later though so I dont think he noticed.

tooge 05-10-2021 10:50 AM

I've also put a chunk or two of non soaked wood right on top of my heat deflector of my pellet grill and it'll add tons of smoke also. I don't like a heavy smoke flavor though so unless I'm doing a real short cook like chicken wings, I don't use a smoke tube

okiedokieokoye 05-10-2021 11:21 AM

Love my pellet smoker. The key for me is to marinade everything first. Ribs and steaks I do overnight, salmon the day of. It's the best salmon I've ever had. With ribs I do the 3-2-1 method. They are incredible.

In58men 05-10-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 15667776)
Do you really?

No lol

ChiTown 05-10-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 15667964)
I've also put a chunk or two of non soaked wood right on top of my heat deflector of my pellet grill and it'll add tons of smoke also. I don't like a heavy smoke flavor though so unless I'm doing a real short cook like chicken wings, I don't use a smoke tube

Yeah, I like the smoke flavor, but you can absolutely get too much smoke on the meat. I want the smoke to be an additive to what I've got on the smoker, but I want the marinade, rub, etc of the meat to be the main event.

Sorce 05-10-2021 02:24 PM

I wouldn't do a brisket right away. Things like pork butt are almost can't screw up. Brisket is one of the most difficult and expensive cuts to get right. Make sure you've got temp measurement and meat prep right on cheaper cuts first I would say.

notorious 05-10-2021 02:34 PM

People think they can taste a big difference between pellets and sticks?

LMAO

Sorce 05-10-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15668296)
People think they can taste a difference between pellets and sticks?

LMAO

Pellets melt in your mouth, sticks are more tough.

notorious 05-10-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15667876)

A friend of mine roasted his vacuum by cleaning too soon.

notorious 05-10-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 15668298)
Pellets melt in your mouth, sticks are more tough.

What about a bundle of sticks?

Sorce 05-10-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15668303)
What about a bundle of sticks?

They need Jesus.

htismaqe 05-10-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 15668281)
I wouldn't do a brisket right away. Things like pork butt are almost can't screw up. Brisket is one of the most difficult and expensive cuts to get right. Make sure you've got temp measurement and meat prep right on cheaper cuts first I would say.

This.

Go with pork butts or whole chickens to start with.

Work your way up to ribs and brisket.

htismaqe 05-10-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 15668022)
Yeah, I like the smoke flavor, but you can absolutely get too much smoke on the meat. I want the smoke to be an additive to what I've got on the smoker, but I want the marinade, rub, etc of the meat to be the main event.

Too much smoke leads to creosote buildup which will make everything taste bitter.

MTG#10 05-10-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15668329)
Too much smoke leads to creosote buildup which will make everything taste bitter.

Not the first time I've read this, but I have a ton of buildup in my WSM and it has never put out any meat with even a hint of bitterness.

:shrug:

Bwana 05-10-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 15667799)
I had an island built and bought the drop in version of the YS640. You are correct, colder temps don't bother the smoker with the thickness of that unit. Hell, it's so heavy, my wife can hardly open the hood :)

Yeah if not for the counter weight on top, it would be a bicep abuser.

Eureka 05-10-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?

I've cooked baby back pork ribs a few times using this method you mentioned on my Traeger and they turned out great. I used apple juice instead of water. After smoking them added a mixture of seasonings, honey, yellow mustard etc. Here's the link of the recipe.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...baby-back-ribs

Everyone at the family BBQ loved them.

Last night I cooked a 2lbs tri-tip on my Traeger. First I rubbed some dry seasoning on then smoked the meat for 2 hrs. Then I put it in some foil after basting it with Mustard, Korean hot sauce, Worchester sauce, and Mmmm BBQs sauce. I cooked it at 275 for about 40min. Came out great. This was me just experimenting with different sauces.

Have some fun with it and try to experiment with what you may like.

KCUnited 05-10-2021 03:36 PM

Feel the thick dirty gray smoke produces the off flavors, at least in wood burners.

People tend to put their meat on too early when its billowing like a campfire instead of waiting for the wood to burn clean.

htismaqe 05-10-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15668349)
Not the first time I've read this, but I have a ton of buildup in my WSM and it has never put out any meat with even a hint of bitterness.

:shrug:

Buildup on the smoke isn't the issue. Too much smoke will actually deposit creosote on the meat itself.

htismaqe 05-10-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 15668406)
Feel the thick dirty gray smoke produces the off flavors, at least in wood burners.

People tend to put their meat on too early when its billowing like a campfire instead of waiting for the wood to burn clean.

Absolutely true.

GloryDayz 05-10-2021 03:49 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EdN7moouEj8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorce 05-10-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?

I prefer 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 (babybacks) but I use chicken broth or applejuice instead of water.

KCUnited 05-10-2021 04:05 PM

I prefer 275F for pork anything but like all things BBQ related YMMV depending on your setup and your personal preferences. Obviously there's some best practices, but you can use the same cut of meat at the same temp for the same duration on 2 different cookers and the results will vary.

Just tinker around with yours to find what works best to your liking and enjoy the process.

cooper barrett 05-10-2021 09:38 PM

You are really reaching...

https://pics.me.me/backinmy-day-blow...y-51113835.png

You are younger than me.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...g?v=1492720278

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 15667643)
Cooper the tranny expert

BryanBusby 05-10-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 15668424)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EdN7moouEj8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is great so that the rib meat doesn't get caught in your dentures

jdubya 05-10-2021 10:44 PM

Meat, fire, salt and pepper = Burp

Does it matter what it’s cooked on?

All kidding aside....I love learning from Malcom Reed “How to BBQ right” website.