ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338240)

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 09:48 PM

Pellets take all the fun out of locating/ smoking with exotic or fruit woods.

it's like burning MDF boards just with liquid smoke and/ or apple juice in the mixture. I'm with Sponge on using stick burners.

Leave the pellets to the ladies.

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 10:00 PM

I'm with sponge

I like stick burners with a selection of fruit and hardwoods. Pecan and apple with a little red oak can't be bought in a bag.

But then again, your wifey can now smoke meat just as good or better than you.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:05 PM

Sounds like my concerns are shared by several of you. That the flavor won't be as good with the pellets. I may just use it for grilling and stick with my wood smoker for smoking.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 15667569)
Get a good remote reading thermometer to keep an eye on the internal meat temps.

It actually comes with 2 temp probes that monitor the meat temp through the PID

Buehler445 05-09-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15667597)
Sounds like my concerns are shared by several of you. That the flavor won't be as good with the pellets. I may just use it for grilling and stick with my wood smoker for smoking.

I mean do what you want, but honestly, sometimes it’s nice to turn out Q that is maybe a notch down from your best cook on the stick burner, but turn it out while you’re busy and don’t have to babysit.

Besides there are pellet rigs in competitions, so don’t let the naysayers dissuade you without trying.

Throw a butt on there and see what happens.

Malcom Reed from the link above and Meat Church BBQ YouTube channels smoke a lot of stuff on pellets. I’m sure there are a million other channels as well.

Give it a try, if you don’t like it no harm no foul, but definitely try it. It’s super easy. And I fully acknowledge that for some dudes the joy is in the process, but convenience has value.

cooper barrett 05-09-2021 10:24 PM

pellet smokers are like automatic trannys. Just because most people buy the automatic doesn't make them better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667601)
I mean do what you want, but honestly, sometimes it’s nice to turn out Q that is maybe a notch down from your best cook on the stick burner, but turn it out while you’re busy and don’t have to babysit.

Besides there are pellet rigs in competitions, so don’t let the naysayers dissuade you without trying.

Malcom Reed from the link above and Meat Church BBQ YouTube channels smoke a lot of stuff on pellets. I’m sure there are a million other channels as well.

Give it a try, if you don’t like it no harm no foul, but definitely try it. It’s super easy. And I fully acknowledge that for some dudes the joy is in the process, but convenience has value.

BigRedChief 05-09-2021 10:34 PM

Check the BBQ thread. Lots of advice in there.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667601)

Oh, I'm definitely going to give it a try. You make good points. I don't smoke nearly as often as I would like for the simple reason that I don't have 8-10 hours to babysit it and keep the temperature right.

jjchieffan 05-09-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15667610)
Check the BBQ thread. Lots of advice in there.

I thought about that. But I assumed that there wouldn't be much about pellet smokers in there. I'll check it. Thanks.

BryanBusby 05-09-2021 10:43 PM

Get a tube of Pillsbury biscuits and cook them in the smoker. It will help you figure out what spots on your grill are hotter than other spots.

carcosa 05-09-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15667504)
Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?

The earth was very hot when it was first formed

LoneWolf 05-10-2021 03:31 AM

Make sure to season the grill for 600 years before it’s first use. Professionals call it the Age of the Earth method.

Flying High D 05-10-2021 03:44 AM

Practice smoker, competitive smokers use Rec Tec

Jewish Rabbi 05-10-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 15667606)
pellet smokers are like automatic trannys. Just because most people buy the automatic doesn't make them better.

Cooper the tranny expert

Coogs 05-10-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15667544)
They’re pretty easy. Just make sure the pellets don’t get wet and if there is a shutdown procedure follow it.

This is sound advice. I left pellets in the auger once over the off-season. Bad mistake. The pellets absorbed moisture from the air, and set up like concrete.