ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Joker - Warner Bros. movie (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322174)

Bowser 08-31-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14416995)
Everyone saying it's a masterpiece and Oscar buzz for Phoenix.

@firstshowing: There will be before Joker. And there will be after Joker. I don't know if the world is ready for this movie. Or maybe it is? It is GNARLY. It is crazy. It is audacious. It doesn't hold back. Wow. I can't believe it exists. But it does. And it's coming.

Did they have the balls to make it rated R?

FAX 08-31-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14417786)

That's what I heard. R for stuff like violence and words and some sexual content.

FAX

Deberg_1990 08-31-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14416995)
Everyone saying it's a masterpiece and Oscar buzz for Phoenix.

@firstshowing: There will be before Joker. And there will be after Joker. I don't know if the world is ready for this movie. Or maybe it is? It is GNARLY. It is crazy. It is audacious. It doesn't hold back. Wow. I can't believe it exists. But it does. And it's coming.

Amazing. When it was announced I was quite skeptical because Todd Phillips has only ever done comedies.

keg in kc 09-01-2019 06:53 AM

The only negative I've seen is that he (Todd Phillips) tried to do too much in one movie. But that's not unusual in entertainment these days. I just finished season one of Carnival Row and while I liked it a lot, they tried to cram about ten different storylines into eight episodes.

Sure-Oz 09-01-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14417786)

Yes, it's apparently a hard R

WhiteWhale 09-01-2019 10:49 AM

I generally disapprove of giving this character a back-story.

I prefer the Joker that just randomly makes up his own back story with nobody knowing what is or isn't true. The enigma is part of the fun of the character.

I just hope the 'bastard son of a Trumpian Thomas Wayne' rumors aren't true.

Gravedigger 09-01-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14419156)
I generally disapprove of giving this character a back-story.

I prefer the Joker that just randomly makes up his own back story with nobody knowing what is or isn't true. The enigma is part of the fun of the character.

I just hope the 'bastard son of a Trumpian Thomas Wayne' rumors aren't true.

Did I ever tell you how I got these scars?

Easy 6 09-01-2019 02:51 PM

I’d pretty much pay to see Joaquin read a phone book, this is a no brainer for my $10

keg in kc 09-01-2019 03:05 PM

8 minute standing ovation at the venice film festival.

mcknzAlex 09-01-2019 05:41 PM

It is deeper, darker and more disturbing places than any comic book.

Valiant 09-01-2019 07:50 PM

I heard people are fearful it was empower the deranged to mass shootings. Sadly some nutbag will say it was the reason.

Speaking of trump. I would like to so namor have some of that personality in his film. Cocky, arrogant, powerful, wrong.

sully1983 09-02-2019 09:33 AM

Really glad this received glowing reviews at the Venice Film Festival. I can't wait to see it opening night!

keg in kc 09-07-2019 02:15 PM

Not just glowing reviews, the Golden Lion.

https://variety.com/2019/film/festiv...es-1203327388/

BWillie 09-08-2019 05:56 PM

I'll see it - but I've never been a huge fan of the joker. He was much less cheesy in the Dark knight but I always liked Bane & the other villains more.

But it's exciting to see a movie made about a villain. I hope next they do a movie about Lex Luthor.

Dunit35 09-30-2019 10:41 PM

Has anyone read or heard about possible mass shootings at the weekend opening of this?

Apparently it’s going around online. Our local AMC is paying us for security work Thursday through Saturday. I’ll be there Saturday evening from 6pm-2am.

Buehler445 09-30-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 14492265)
Has anyone read or heard about possible mass shootings at the weekend opening of this?

Apparently it’s going around online. Our local AMC is paying us for security work Thursday through Saturday. I’ll be there Saturday evening from 6pm-2am.

Stay safe big dog.

Crazy people suck

Bump 09-30-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 14419851)
I heard people are fearful it was empower the deranged to mass shootings. Sadly some nutbag will say it was the reason.

Speaking of trump. I would like to so namor have some of that personality in his film. Cocky, arrogant, powerful, wrong.

It's because liberals can't tell the difference between fiction and reality. Even though thousands of movies glorifying violence have come out in the past.

Fish 10-01-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 14492308)
It's because liberals can't tell the difference between fiction and reality. Even though thousands of movies glorifying violence have come out in the past.

Take your political shit somewhere else, moron.

Frazod 10-01-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14492511)

Then maybe you should whine about the post he was responding to, you ****ing ****.

Fish 10-01-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14492530)
Then maybe you should whine about the post he was responding to, you ****ing ****.

Go defend politics in DC you miserable bitch.

Frazod 10-01-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14492534)
Go defend politics in DC you miserable bitch.

I'm not defending anything, comrade. Just pointing out what a hypocrite piece of lowlife shit you are.

Baby Lee 10-01-2019 12:45 PM

I sense potential . . . choatic glee could be invigorating

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WC9tWq_W0nM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 10-01-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14493124)
I sense potential . . . choatic glee could be invigorating

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WC9tWq_W0nM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is Ewan McGregor supposed to be the Joker? That trailer didn’t make any sense.

Bump 10-01-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14492511)

Moron, I'm not the one that brought it up. Go to twitter or reddit, you can post all of your idiocy there and nobody is allowed to respond!

Gravedigger 10-01-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14493314)

He plays Roman Sionis, aka Black Mask.

Sure-Oz 10-01-2019 08:26 PM

Cdot apparently went to a screening tonight.

@cdotharrison: They had a cop outside and wanded us before we came into the screening. This better be flames. https://twitter.com/cdotharrison/sta...436161/photo/1

@cdotharrison: Joker was the best movie I’ve seen since Wolf Of Wall Street. Joaquin Phoenix was as good as Heath Ledger but in a very different way. Instant classic. Go see it.

Sure-Oz 10-01-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14493314)

Black Mask who's great in the comics. This looks good.

Sorry 10-02-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 14493373)
Moron, I'm not the one that brought it up. Go to twitter or reddit, you can post all of your idiocy there and nobody is allowed to respond!

Shut the **** up

Bump 10-03-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14495507)
Shut the **** up

no u

sully1983 10-03-2019 08:08 PM

Just got back from it. It was a damn good movie imo. Phoenix put his own stamp on the Joker character and I literally couldn't take my eyes off him. Intense, awkward and down right scary at times to watch. He is such an enigma.

Sorry 10-04-2019 01:12 AM

Honestly this is how DC should've always approached their characters. What a freaking film!! Phoenix is the best joker for me hands down IMO. What an actor.

BWillie 10-04-2019 04:00 AM

I thought this movie was going to be Oscar bait but it's kind of the opposite. Audiences absolutely love it so far, and critics are lukewarm (even though 68% on RT is nothing to sneeze at - the audience score is super high on this one)

Sorry 10-04-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14498010)
I thought this movie was going to be Oscar bait but it's kind of the opposite. Audiences absolutely love it so far, and critics are lukewarm (even though 68% on RT is nothing to sneeze at - the audience score is super high on this one)

Critics are idiots then. Crazy crazy performance

BigRedChief 10-04-2019 03:43 PM

Fantastic movie. A great stand alone film. Not a super hero movie. So don’t expect that type of movie. It’s kind of slow at times but it’s neccessary to show the depth of emotions within the Joker and the transformation into the menace and madness.

Very human take. No cartoon BS here. Raw emotions. Phoenix’s performance will not only win the Oscar but live longer than you and me. Truly legendary. You can’t take your eyes off the guy. So many levels and he goes there on each one. Close ups where you have to bring it, no cheating the screen with lighting or other distractions. and he nails it.

Sorry 10-04-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14499087)
Fantastic movie. A great stand alone film. Not a super hero movie. So don’t expect that type of movie. It’s kind of slow at times but it’s neccessary to show the depth of emotions within the Joker and the transformation into the menace and madness.

Very human take. No cartoon BS here. Raw emotions. Phoenix’s performance will not only win the Oscar but live longer than you and me. Truly legendary. You can’t take your eyes off the guy. So many levels and he goes there on each one. Close ups where you have to bring it, no cheating the screen with lighting or other distractions. and he nails it.

Honestly, with clever writing they could dive deeper into the mystical things that make up the cartoons, I feel this is what a DC film should be as opposed to marvel..has the dark noir vibe. I would love to see him evolve into fighting Batman but it'll never happen

lawrenceRaider 10-05-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14499087)

Truly an outstanding flick. I can hardly wait to see it again.

TwistedChief 10-05-2019 11:24 AM

****ing awesome. One of the most satisfying movies I’ve seen in years. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Otter 10-05-2019 12:08 PM

I haven't seen this movie yet but I've read reviews and from what I'm reading it seems "Joker" may have a slow burn decent into madness. How would you compare the tone of this move to Kubrick's "The Shining"?

The Shining is one of my top 3 movies of all time. I'm just wondering how you would compare the tone "Joker" uses to tell its story parallels to "The Shining".

Going to see it on Thursday so no spoilers please.

TwistedChief 10-05-2019 01:35 PM

And for Chiefs fans, the movie even had a little Gary Glitter to really set the mood.

BigRedChief 10-05-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14500052)
Truly an outstanding flick. I can hardly wait to see it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14500196)
****ing awesome. One of the most satisfying movies I’ve seen in years. Exactly what I was hoping for.

I know. You see the trailer. Get excited. Others get excited. Hype starts. And the ****ing movie still delivers more than anticipated. It’s a rarity these days. :clap:

Deberg_1990 10-05-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 14500247)
I haven't seen this movie yet but I've read reviews and from what I'm reading it seems "Joker" may have a slow burn decent into madness. How would you compare the tone of this move to Kubrick's "The Shining"?

The Shining is one of my top 3 movies of all time. I'm just wondering how you would compare the tone "Joker" uses to tell its story parallels to "The Shining".

It’s more Scorsese than Kubrick. Specifically ‘Taxi Driver’ and ‘King of Comedy’

Sorry 10-05-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 14500247)

Let me put it this way, if you enjoy The Shining type of a film, you will fall in love with Phoenix method acting. I would be shocked if Phoenix doesn't have to talk to a therapist after this role to ease his mind from what he did on screen, just incredible getting into the zone and truly becoming a madman.

Sorry 10-05-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14500367)
It’s more Scorsese than Kubrick. Specifically ‘Taxi Driver’ and ‘King of Comedy’

Which the director studied under Scorsese which is why the vibe is so mobish and perfectly fits that era of batman. What a ****in beautiful choice by DC.

In58men 10-05-2019 07:50 PM

Just watched it and WOW!!!

Joaquin Phoenix did a tremendous job, definitely going to see it again. It was dark and brutal, but excellent.

KCUnited 10-05-2019 07:53 PM

What About Bob meets Falling Down.

I enjoyed it.

Passepartout 10-05-2019 07:54 PM

It is going to gross up to $90M from what I heard on the IMDB site there of news.

Kyle DeLexus 10-05-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passepartout (Post 14500851)
It is going to gross up to $90M from what I heard on the IMDB site there of news.

With an estimated budget of $55M.

Tribal Warfare 10-06-2019 12:12 AM

I wonder if DCEU retcons Leto's iteration which includes a different actor playing the character

BigRedChief 10-06-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14501079)
I wonder if DCEU retcons Leto's iteration which includes a different actor playing the character

according to Phoenix himself, this was a one off movie. He had no interest in signing up for a trilogy or another movie as the Joker. Didn’t matter what % or the gross or artistic control he has, it has no interest for him.

Also DC said this movie doesn’t effect the DC universe timeline. Events are a stand alone in their own universe.

Tribal Warfare 10-06-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14501094)
according to Phoenix himself, this was a one off movie. He had no interest in signing up for a trilogy or another movie as the Joker. Didn’t matter what % or the gross or artistic control he has, it has no interest for him.

Also DC said this movie doesn’t effect the DC universe timeline. Events are a stand alone in their own universe.

I know, I'm engaging the opinion that Leto will be replaced and the new actor will have a different backstory

eDave 10-06-2019 01:04 AM

What a fukturd Leto turned out to be.

Rausch 10-06-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14501094)

I'd be willing to bet a Downey Jr. type of contract (% of profits not actual $$$) would change his mind...

KCUnited 10-06-2019 07:08 AM

The extreme prep for the role, including a 50lb weight cut, makes me hope this is a one off for him.

SAGA45 10-06-2019 07:36 AM

It needs to be a standalone moment in time. I'd hate for it to be trilogized. It was so good that the 'batman moments' seemed completely unnecessary and tacked on.

The Iron Chief 10-06-2019 08:02 AM

Hey can those that saw this please offer some help here.

Chiefs play tonight of course and my boys want to go see this.
My oldest is home from college and is 20 so of course hes fine.
My question is for my youngest.. hes 14.

Yes we know this is not Batman and Robin.

My question is with all the warnings out there I want to know is this fairly typical slash and blood stuff or way over the top?
Anything this side of lets say SAW is ok.

I'd rather not have my yongest see Joker rape someone then saw her head off..

Bottom line are all the warnings simply for .. do not bring your 9 yr old if they think this is POW BAMM..

And both my kids are smart I'm not worried about the mental/disturbing part.

Thx guys the internet reviews and forums are Vague on this.

Sorry 10-06-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iron Chief (Post 14501361)
Hey can those that saw this please offer some help here.

Chiefs play tonight of course and my boys want to go see this.
My oldest is home from college and is 20 so of course hes fine.
My question is for my youngest.. hes 14.

Yes we know this is not Batman and Robin.

My question is with all the warnings out there I want to know is this fairly typical slash and blood stuff or way over the top?
Anything this side of lets say SAW is ok.

I'd rather not have my yongest see Joker rape someone then saw her head off..

Bottom line are all the warnings simply for .. do not bring your 9 yr old if they think this is POW BAMM..

And both my kids are smart I'm not worried about the mental/disturbing part.

Thx guys the internet reviews and forums are Vague on this.

I don't think your youngest will catch the subtleties of the mental issue part and be able to relate to Arthurs pain, but it certainly has some extremely graphic scenes in the last act that i'm not sure you want your 9 yr old to see.

The Iron Chief 10-06-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14501529)
I don't think your youngest will catch the subtleties of the mental issue part and be able to relate to Arthurs pain, but it certainly has some extremely graphic scenes in the last act that i'm not sure you want your 9 yr old to see.

Thank you for the response.
My youngest is 14 if he was 9 he wouldn't be going period.
My 14 yr old is mature for his age enjoys a good book etc..
90% of the website reviews simply say Don't take your kids..with no details.
Just making sure we aren't talking Rape or SAW level violence.
I've been away all weekend and figured to get to the scoop quick this morning I'd just put it up on this forum.
Thx again

Rams Fan 10-06-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iron Chief (Post 14501562)
Thank you for the response.
My youngest is 14 if he was 9 he wouldn't be going period.
My 14 yr old is mature for his age enjoys a good book etc..
90% of the website reviews simply say Don't take your kids..with no details.
Just making sure we aren't talking Rape or SAW level violence.
I've been away all weekend and figured to get to the scoop quick this morning I'd just put it up on this forum.
Thx again

In terms of gore, there are maybe three scenes that are gorey, but a long the lines of Deadpool if that helps.

Rams Fan 10-06-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 14501303)
It needs to be a standalone moment in time. I'd hate for it to be trilogized. It was so good that the 'batman moments' seemed completely unnecessary and tacked on.

I completely disagree.

Spoiler!

The Iron Chief 10-06-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 14501585)
In terms of gore, there are maybe three scenes that are gorey, but a long the lines of Deadpool if that helps.

Yes that helps Deadpool level violence is fine.

Thx

BigRedChief 10-06-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iron Chief (Post 14501639)
Yes that helps Deadpool level violence is fine.

Thx

it may be the same level but it’s not the same in any shape, form etc. Deadpool is campy fun violence. This is a serious movie. This is not campy fun. It’s the mental break from reality and madness of a human being played straight and real.

Skyy God 10-06-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 14500850)
What About Bob meets Falling Down.

I enjoyed it.

Lulz.

BWillie 10-06-2019 02:20 PM

I did not see it, but this is the first review from a friend or someone I know that didn't like it. They said "2 hours of my life wasted. It’s two hours of self pity, dude laughing and then it’s over. 1:50 minutes of that and 10 minutes of actual joker."

But this is coming from a guy that thinks Joes Kansas City is one of the worst BBQ places in the city. He may just be a contrarian.

The Iron Chief 10-06-2019 03:04 PM

Well I just got home from seeing it and it Definitely was Ok for my 14 yr old.

Were glad we went it was a pretty good movie certainly not a waste of two hours.
The 3 of us had fun discussing the story on the ride home.
I will say any child 13 and under would not understand the mental breakdown story line...or should see the violence.
I think I bought into the graphic violence warnings a bit too much.

I will say though that I wouldn't take someone suffering from any unstable mental issues to go see it.

My youngest asked on the way home about the many points circling the TV/press about the movie warning how it might make those suffering from mental illness to have a "moment"

I said well was there any time in the movie you truly disliked Arthur or didn't see his side(til the end of course)?...
He was like Hmmmm no not really no.

I was like imagine if you had a mental illness watching it and you weren't processing the point of the story correctly.

He then understood.

neech 10-06-2019 03:36 PM

You seem like a good dad.

ThaVirus 10-06-2019 03:39 PM

Can't protect the kids from everything

Gravedigger 10-06-2019 03:41 PM

It was a great introspective film about mental illness. When he starts to become the Joker, the last third of the film, is absolutely perfect. Really impressive take on the character from Joaquin Phoenix. How he knows what his plan is, but then a slight change invites a new layer of chaos.

The entire movie is about the facets of mental health that we don't want to acknowledge, don't want to talk about and sometimes flat out ignore about people who have uncontrollable issues that they can't help, many times through no fault of their own. Society doesn't pay attention to their issues, mocks them, makes light of them, or just ostracizes them completely.

The movie worked on two levels really well. I think all the critic praise you see about the movie is from those who focused on the mental health aspect and the grim mirror image that reality can have. I was kinda bored through the first half, until you start to understand why Thomas Wayne is in the movie, then it gets going. When he dons the makeup, and dyes his hair, and puts on the suit, oh man. That's almost worth the price of admission in and of itself if it didn't only last for about thirty minutes or so.

Also I won't ruin it for any of you but you see the dance down the stairs between two buildings in all the commercials when he's in full Joker garb, the musical choice they have for that dancing down the stairs is priceless. I laughed out loud when I figured out what they were playing.

WhiteWhale 10-06-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14500367)

yeah, it's a little TOO MUCH Taxi driver and King of comedy.

Raiderhater 10-07-2019 09:52 AM

I’m going to go see this today. For those who have seen it is it a movie that benefits in any way from being shown in IMAX? Or is the additional cost not worth it?

BigBeauford 10-07-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14507436)
I’m going to go see this today. For those who have seen it is it a movie that benefits in any way from being shown in IMAX? Or is the additional cost not worth it?

I watched it on B&Bs grand screen so I cannot remark on the IMAX experience. What I will say' is every scene is a real treat in cinematography. I struggle to remember the last movie I have seen that is shot this nicely.

Baby Lee 10-07-2019 11:55 AM

CNN has weighed in and you'll never guess what they feel the film 'validates' and 'led to the rise of.'

CoMoChief 10-07-2019 12:14 PM

It was ok. Didn't think it was some masterpiece like some have said/reviewed.

Clearly the most entertaining part was when he started to transform into Joker. That's when the movie started to finally pick up.

Because other than that, the movie for the most part was slow and dull.

Chiefspants 10-07-2019 06:58 PM

Phoenix is absolutely making it sound like a sequel is a possibility.

BigRedChief 10-08-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14508658)
Phoenix is absolutely making it sound like a sequel is a possibility.

if they give him a deal with the % of profits like Downey got with the Avengers, that’s generational life changing money. Got to be hard to turn down.

Gravedigger 10-08-2019 08:29 AM

It could work out time-wise really well. Bruce is what, 10 or 11 when this movie takes place in I think they said 1981. So if you put Robert Pattinson in the same universe and have him be a brand new Batman, you could easily introduce Joaquin Phoenix in The Batman and get that rivalry started and setup a pretty impressive trilogy if done right.

DeepPurple 10-08-2019 09:10 AM

I haven't seen it, but it sounds somewhat like Christian Bale in American Psycho. I liked that film except when he killed the beggar's dog. Different lifestyles but the feedback seems similar.

Deberg_1990 10-08-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14509276)
It could work out time-wise really well. Bruce is what, 10 or 11 when this movie takes place in I think they said 1981. So if you put Robert Pattinson in the same universe and have him be a brand new Batman, you could easily introduce Joaquin Phoenix in The Batman and get that rivalry started and setup a pretty impressive trilogy if done right.

heh, how old is Joker supposed to be? Phoenix is 44. So this is a geriatric Joker by the time Batman is a grown man?

WhiteWhale 10-08-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14507755)
CNN has weighed in and you'll never guess what they feel the film 'validates' and 'led to the rise of.'

This might be the most reviewed movie of all time.

Nearly every site has MULTIPLE reviews of it, which seems weird on it's face except they're clearly trying to manipulate public perception of the film.

Why did the Guardian feel the need to review it 3 times? I've seen two reviews from Vice. Multiple from Salon.

They're trying to stuff the critic box.

The movie is a Rorschach test. What you take away seems to have more to do with the person watching than anything the film itself does.

I wasn't blown away nor did I find any pushy messaging. I kinda felt like i'd already seen it since it borrows so many beats.

Rams Fan 10-08-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14510459)
This might be the most reviewed movie of all time.

Nearly every site has MULTIPLE reviews of it, which seems weird on it's face except they're clearly trying to manipulate public perception of the film.

Why did the Guardian feel the need to review it 3 times? I've seen two reviews from Vice. Multiple from Salon.

They're trying to stuff the critic box.

The movie is a Rorschach test. What you take away seems to have more to do with the person watching than anything the film itself does.

I wasn't blown away nor did I find any pushy messaging. I kinda felt like i'd already seen it since it borrows so many beats.

The one big take away I had was the subject of mental health and how it's treated in the US.

Another subject is
Spoiler!
, but I think that had more to do with how the story unfolded and not necessarily Phillips critiquing it.

Gravedigger 10-08-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14510410)
heh, how old is Joker supposed to be? Phoenix is 44. So this is a geriatric Joker by the time Batman is a grown man?

I think you could pass Phoenix as 30 in this movie, maybe a bit younger. I would say that Joker by trait is 10 years older than Bruce Wayne, it's a stretch, but not a massive one.