ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Northman - Upcoming Movie (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341441)

Easy 6 12-21-2021 02:58 PM

The Northman - Upcoming Movie

From Robert Eggers, the guy who brought you The VVitch... been waiting for something like this for a looong time, looks incredible

Alexander Skarsgard
Nicole Kidman
Anya Taylor-Joy
Willem Dafoe
Ethan Hawke

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JW7qfLj7F2c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy 12-21-2021 03:11 PM

:thumb:I will be all in on this one:thumb:

Buehler445 12-21-2021 10:35 PM

I’m a sucker for a good sword and sandal flick.

Jenson71 12-21-2021 10:56 PM

I hope lutefisk will have a major role in this movie.

BigRichard 12-22-2021 07:10 AM

Yeah, that looks good. I am in.

Molitoth 12-22-2021 12:17 PM

In.

Halfcan 12-24-2021 05:44 PM

Looks great!

Valiant 12-24-2021 11:14 PM

I have been enjoying the last kingdom on netflix.

sully1983 12-24-2021 11:20 PM

Eggers is easily one of the most interesting and talented new directors working today. I can't wait to see this and see what Eggers does with a big budget.

(Apparently it is also beyond violent and pulls no punches. )

Easily one of my most anticipated films of 2022. The trailer has me hyped af.

listopencil 05-14-2022 06:00 AM

Any of you guys see this? I watched it and enjoyed it but I'm a sucker for revenge movies.

raybec 4 05-14-2022 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16293743)
Any of you guys see this? I watched it and enjoyed it but I'm a sucker for revenge movies.

I saw it, it was very entertaining but they really didn't do much to build the characters. They didn't show us the struggle he had to endure going from child to man. I think that could have made me care more about his cause.

listopencil 05-14-2022 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16293750)
I saw it, it was very entertaining but they really didn't do much to build the characters. They didn't show us the struggle he had to endure going from child to man. I think that could have made me care more about his cause.

True. They jumped forward quite a bit. And then he seemed to go from his 20's to his 30's suddenly but I guess that was just the rough life showing in his face.

raybec 4 05-14-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16293772)
True. They jumped forward quite a bit. And then he seemed to go from his 20's to his 30's suddenly but I guess that was just the rough life showing in his face.

The action was really good though and the unfolding of the family dynamic was very interesting.

listopencil 05-14-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16293780)
The action was really good though and the unfolding of the family dynamic was very interesting.

Yeah. The thing with the mom I wondered about because I was thinking of Stockholm Syndrome, but also had that nagging feeling because of the joke in the beginning of the movie and how everyone reacted to it. Trying not to spoil anything for anyone here.

listopencil 05-14-2022 07:42 AM

I also enjoyed the way they dipped back and forth between fantasy and reality. Gave it a fairy tale feel.

raybec 4 05-14-2022 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16293784)
I also enjoyed the way they dipped back and forth between fantasy and reality. Gave it a fairy tale feel.

It really did have that feel to it. I was wondering why the Valkyrie had braces though LMAO

Fish 05-14-2022 05:16 PM

FYI, there's an HD copy of this available online if you know where to look... including a 2K HDR version..

Red Dawg 05-15-2022 08:04 PM

This movie was massively shit. Total fail and worthless.

EPodolak 05-15-2022 08:38 PM

I saw it the other night. Entertaining, not exceptional but some may disagree. Same source material as Hamlet, very superficially it shows. A much different protagonist in this one though :)

sully1983 05-17-2022 08:46 PM

I think I wrote a review for this in another thread but I'll put some of my thoughts in this thread as well.

The Northman is definitely not for everyone and bound to turn off a lot of movie goers (as shown with its dismal box office take) but I don't ****ing care, cause I loved the shit out of this Viking epic!

Skarsgard was a straight up savage beast that looked like he could rip out Thor's spinal cord if he wanted to and make Hugh Glass from The Revenant shit his pants and die from a stroke just at the sight of him:eek::bolt:

The rest of the cast was great too but major kudos to Alexander Skarsgard for going all out for this (I know his dream role has always been to play a Viking warrior since he's literally a big ass Swedish dude lol. Well he definitely pulled it off here and more than made up for that cringe worthy goofy Tarzan movie imo) God I hated that crapLMAO.

There was another film from last year called The Green Knight that is getting a lot of comparisons to The Nortman but IMO The Northman shits all over The Green Knight. Eggers threw everything and the kitchen sink at the audience (basically going for the jugular and leaving it all out there) while David Lowery seemed to hold back and make a more insanely slow paced somber tale that damn near went no where in the end.

The score / mixed with a lot of the visuals in The Northman worked so well together that its so hard to describe but I mean that in a great way. Sorta like a religious experience or something.

Hats off to Eggers here. He's 3 for 3 with me so far. Can't wait to see what he does next.

HC_Chief 10-14-2022 09:22 AM

The Northman is now on Prime (free). I finally watched it... freaking awesome Eggers movie. Like <i>The Witch</i>, this movie is dark, creepy, gritty, and mixes hyper realism with wild fantasy. Super cool, and exceptionally well done.

The story itself is simple (and quite Nordic): boy raised by warrior father, who of course is betrayed & murdered, witnesses his village being razed with much brutality. The boy escapes & vows vengeance. Boy grows into warrior man, ironically becoming the pillager/murderer/Viking berzerker against whom he seeks vengeance. He poses as a slave, hooks up with a hot Slavic witch slave from the village he just pillaged, and travels to Iceland to achieve payback. Choppy chop, slashie slash, blood, gore, and sweet sweet revenge achieved. Lineage restored and protected. Skol!

Molitoth 10-14-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 16529123)
The Northman is now on Prime (free). I finally watched it... freaking awesome Eggers movie. Like <i>The Witch</i>, this movie is dark, creepy, gritty, and mixes hyper realism with wild fantasy. Super cool, and exceptionally well done.

The story itself is simple (and quite Nordic): boy raised by warrior father, who of course is betrayed & murdered, witnesses his village being razed with much brutality. The boy escapes & vows vengeance. Boy grows into warrior man, ironically becoming the pillager/murderer/Viking berzerker against whom he seeks vengeance. He poses as a slave, hooks up with a hot Slavic witch slave from the village he just pillaged, and travels to Iceland to achieve payback. Choppy chop, slashie slash, blood, gore, and sweet sweet revenge achieved. Lineage restored and protected. Skol!

With a plot twist.

Pablo 10-14-2022 05:43 PM

I am gonna watch this. Was bored as shit this morning and put the new predator movie on instead. That one was a winner, but I'm interested in this quite a bit and Red Dawg says it sucks so it's probably great.

dlphg9 10-14-2022 08:34 PM

It's not my cup of tea. Just weird as shit and no character building. It was hard to finish.

BigBeauford 10-15-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16530174)
It's not my cup of tea. Just weird as shit and no character building. It was hard to finish.

This reaction or masterpiece. No in-between for A24. I really enjoyed this one. Hereditary was my only miss.

Fishpicker 10-15-2022 12:16 PM

couldn't finish it. the story didn't grab me

Fish 10-15-2022 10:41 PM

The visuals were awesome. The idea was awesome. But it just didn't manage to work for some reason. It was entertaining. But the story was a muddled mess, and they failed to build any of the characters up enough to really care about them. It was beautifully forgettable.

Buehler445 10-15-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16531688)
The visuals were awesome. The idea was awesome. But it just didn't manage to work for some reason. It was entertaining. But the story was a muddled mess, and they failed to build any of the characters up enough to really care about them. It was beautifully forgettable.

Sounds a lot like rings of power

lawrenceRaider 10-17-2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

It was really close to being fantastic, but just never got there.

srvy 10-19-2022 10:07 PM

Well, it wasn't dragons or orcs Lil Munchkins, and elves. I kinda liked it but its not one that I would need to see again not many are for me.

Just Passin' By 10-20-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yes.

It's really disappointing that today's filmmakers so rarely seem to make good films set during times that should be a blast to watch on the screen.

listopencil 10-20-2022 01:11 PM

Over the last few years I feel like I've seen a lot of movies like this. You can see that all the pieces are there. They should be fantastic movies. But for some reason the final product is just a bit off, or even in some cases a jumbled mess. I used to think it was me getting grouchy as I got older but I'm hearing/seeing/reading the same thing from quite a few other people. What's the problem? Is there a shortage of professionals in the required discipline? Anyway, I think this movie is closer to 'just a bit off' than it is to 'jumbled mess' and it is entertaining although I wouldn't want to have spent the time and money to see this in a theater.

Easy 6 10-20-2022 04:00 PM

This damn thing didn't even make it to my town, guess I'll have to rent it off the tv... and based on all the comments, I'm prepared to be somewhat underwhelmed

BWillie 10-23-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16293784)

Thank you for this.

Now I don't have to waste my time watching it.