ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies you haven't seen in a few decades (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324611)

007 08-23-2019 04:33 AM

Movies you haven't seen in a few decades

Came across Always (1989) with Richard Dreyfus and Holly Hunter last night. Forgot how much I loved that movie. Was also reminded just how gorgeous Holly was in that movie.

Dallas Chief 08-23-2019 05:56 AM

The Right Stuff. In flight right now and just dialed it up on the AA library. Epic movie from my childhood.

Deberg_1990 08-23-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 14405694)
The Right Stuff. In flight right now and just dialed it up on the AA library. Epic movie from my childhood.

Still a great flick. Love it.

Steve Martin, The Man with Two Brains. I remember loving that as a kid.

I haven’t seen a lot of his old comedies in a long time and I remember really liking them.

Frazod 08-23-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14405978)
Still a great flick. Love it.

Steve Martin, The Man with Two Brains. I remember loving that as a kid.

I haven’t seen a lot of his old comedies in a long time and I remember really liking them.

Man With Two Brains is great. When it comes to Steve Martin movies, it's second only to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Buehler445 08-23-2019 11:42 AM

Eight Days a Week is a good one. It probably hasn’t aged well but it was a really interesting watch 20 years ago. Plus, Keri Russell.

Willow is one that I haven’t seen in a long time but loved when I was a kid.

On the Val Kilmer note, The Ghost and the Darkness I probably watched 50 times in the 90s.

Another Kilmer classic is Real Genius.

I’m going to have to dig some of these up.

Deberg_1990 08-23-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14406030)
Eight Days a Week is a good one. It probably hasn’t aged well but it was a really interesting watch 20 years ago. Plus, Keri Russell.

Willow is one that I haven’t seen in a long time but loved when I was a kid.

On the Val Kilmer note, The Ghost and the Darkness I probably watched 50 times in the 90s.

Another Kilmer classic is Real Genius.

I’m going to have to dig some of these up.

Kilmer was great back in the day. Real Genius still holds up.

Willow I’ve always liked, but it’s slightly corny by today’s standards.

I haven’t seen Top Secret in a long time. But that was hilarious back in the day.

luv 08-23-2019 12:07 PM

My favorites from when I was a kid were:

Can't Buy Me Love (1987): I crushed on Patrick Dempsey before he became "Patrick Dempsey"

Adventures In Babysitting (1987): "Don't **** with the babysitter!"

Yes, I was a 10-11 year old girl when these came out...lol. I bought both of these on DVD, but I don't think I've watched them since I bought them.

Nzoner 08-23-2019 03:53 PM

70's drive-in B movie only saw it once but it popped into my memory when I saw the topic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fr4ZLdhoQRY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Megatron96 08-23-2019 04:08 PM

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil," 1985 (I think). Still one of my all-time favorite movies

"Time Bandits" (1981?). 'Nuff said.

"Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins," 1986(?) "The Korean is the most perfect creature ever to sanctify the Earth with the imprint of its foot!" Still use this line as often as possible.

Buffalo '66'. The bowling alley scene.

Nzoner 08-23-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14406428)

"Time Bandits" (1981?). 'Nuff said.

Must see that one again,nice call

Bowser 08-23-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14406430)
Must see that one again,nice call

They're remaking it with Taika Waititi directing.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...0s-cult-comedy

Megatron96 08-23-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14406510)
They're remaking it with Taika Waititi directing.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...0s-cult-comedy

Scared the heck out of me. They're not re-making the movie, just adapting the idea for a TV series.

DeepPurple 08-25-2019 07:34 AM

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977). I think I saw it on HBO when I first got that channel in 1979. Stars Diane Keaton as a schoolteacher who cruises bars looking for violent sex. Also stars an unknown Tom Berenger and Richard Gere, who I believe was also unknown at the time, but if IRC Gere was her last encounter. I've never seen it on TV or any premium channel. I think either Gere or Keaton has somehow managed to keep it from being shown. I remember it was really good and really shocking, kind of like Al Pacino was shocking in "Cruising".

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...82,268_AL_.jpg

scho63 08-25-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

That was a wicked movie. Really liked it.

Others that I watched around that time:

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Drugstore Cowboy
Pan's Labyrinth
As Good as it Gets
Broken Flowers

Megatron96 08-25-2019 05:31 PM

Can't believe I didn't think of this first. Ladies and gents, I give you, "The Warriors" movie trailer:

https://vimeo.com/301533784

Pepe Silvia 08-25-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 14406049)

"That's not a kitten, that's a jumbo sewer rat."

Rasputin 08-25-2019 06:36 PM

I was just thinking of Critters today haven't seen it for long time

Nzoner 08-25-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14408536)
Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977). I think I saw it on HBO when I first got that channel in 1979. Stars Diane Keaton as a schoolteacher who cruises bars looking for violent sex. Also stars an unknown Tom Berenger and Richard Gere, who I believe was also unknown at the time, but if IRC Gere was her last encounter. I've never seen it on TV or any premium channel. I think either Gere or Keaton has somehow managed to keep it from being shown. I remember it was really good and really shocking, kind of like Al Pacino was shocking in "Cruising".

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...82,268_AL_.jpg

I'm old enough I remember seeing that at the theater and yes what an ending.

Nzoner 08-25-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14409193)
Can't believe I didn't think of this first. Ladies and gents, I give you, "The Warriors" movie trailer:

https://vimeo.com/301533784

I just watched that again this last year ended up buying the soundtrack too.

Groves 08-25-2019 07:59 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b6a9565774.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rasputin 08-25-2019 10:43 PM

i don't know how many times i've seen this growing up? i think it was on WGN or TBS? but here is THE BEASTMASTER

<iframe width="855" height="481" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iWvBtiuhi50" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63 08-26-2019 10:29 AM

2 Days in the Valley was awesome as well-made 22 or 23 years ago

siberian khatru 08-26-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Vincent Gallo indulges his fondness for prog rock and uses King Crimson's "Moonchild" as the music in that scene.

Raiderhater 08-26-2019 11:09 AM

I watched three yesterday that I have seen in I don’t know how long: The Eagle Has Landed, A Bridge Too Far and Saving Private Ryan. I wasn’t planning a WWII movie marathon, it just kind of worked out that way. I did get me to thinking of another which I know I haven’t seen since I was a kid and that is Empire of the Sun.

Frazod 08-26-2019 11:21 AM

Somebody mentioned To Live And Die In LA here recently. That's a fantastic movie that I haven't watched in forever. Great performances all around, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time.

I also haven't seen Real Genius for a long time. My best friend, who has a physics PhD, told me that was the most realistic portrayal of what graduate school was really like.

Al Bundy 08-26-2019 11:41 AM

Silverstreak, hell I named a cat after it.

DeepPurple 08-26-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14410244)
Somebody mentioned To Live And Die In LA here recently. That's a fantastic movie that I haven't watched in forever. Great performances all around, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time.

I mentioned To Live and Die in LA in the Mindhunters Netflex thread when I brought up the film Manhunter was a prequel to Silence of the Lambs. I said if you like William Petersen in that film, watch his next film To Live and Die. You're right, that has a great car chase scene, who would of ever thought of going backwards on the interstate. However, the film suffers with one flaw, the same flaw that was in No Country for Old Men, I won't spoil it for others.

Quote:

Silverstreak, hell I named a cat after it.
When I saw Silverstreak, I did something I had never done before, went to the same theater and watched it for a second time about a week later. That was about 1976, Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor best film. The next with them was Stir Crazy, not near as good.

Otter 08-26-2019 03:15 PM

"Requiem for a Dream" was always my go to movie for when I became in the I want to be movie scared mood. I could pretty much watch any scary movie ever made, shake it off in 3 minutes but that one kind of sticks with you.

And Jennifer Connlley in her prime! :drool:

"Memento" had a pretty creepy vibe to it as well.

BigRichard 08-26-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

My favorites from when I was a kid were:

Can't Buy Me Love (1987): I crushed on Patrick Dempsey before he became "Patrick Dempsey"

Yes, I was a 10-11 year old girl when these came out...lol. I bought both of these on DVD, but I don't think I've watched them since I bought them.

Can't Buy Me Love was a good movie and I was looking it up on the IMDB and Amanda Peterson died at the age of 43.

BigRichard 08-26-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 14409664)
i don't know how many times i've seen this growing up? i think it was on WGN or TBS? but here is THE BEASTMASTER

<iframe width="855" height="481" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iWvBtiuhi50" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was an awesome movie... I haven't watched it in years but the ferrets stealing the girls shit was awesome. I got to see girl boobies :)

scho63 08-27-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Very underrated Teen flick and I enjoyed it even as a guy.

Anther one very similar was "Mischief" from 1985 with Doug McKeon, Chris Nash, Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelly Preston. This movie is pretty infamous for Kelly Preston being completely nude and showing full frontal, including a very full hairy blonde beaver. (Not that you're into that sort of thing.) :D

scho63 08-27-2019 03:49 AM

Another two movies I haven't seen in a long while and VERY different:

"Logan's Run" (1976) starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Farrah Fawcett, and Peter Ustinov. I had a mini-crush on Jenny Agutter back in the day.

"Freeway" (1996) starring Reese Witherspoon, Brooke Shields and Keifer Sutherland. Reese Witherspoon delivers an incredible nasty performance in this.

Kman34 08-27-2019 07:06 AM

Grand Prix 1966.. has some of the greatest driving scenes I have ever seen..

DeepPurple 08-27-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 14410682)
"Requiem for a Dream" was always my go to movie for when I became in the I want to be movie scared mood. I could pretty much watch any scary movie ever made, shake it off in 3 minutes but that one kind of sticks with you.

And Jennifer Connlley in her prime! :drool:

"Memento" had a pretty creepy vibe to it as well.

I have Requiem for a Dream and Memento both on my DVR right now. I started recording my favorites about a year ago, I've got all the premium channels in HD on Directv. I've got about 60 of my favorites recorded so far.

The director of Requiem Darren Aronofsky is either hit or miss. He also did Black Swam and The Wrestler, which are two more favorites, but some of his others are really terrible. The soundtrack to Requiem helped make that film, no songs but an actual theme. Kind of the same way Taxi Driver and the bluesy jazzy soundtrack added the right atmosphere.

Frazod 08-27-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14411177)

"Logan's Run" (1976) starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Farrah Fawcett, and Peter Ustinov. I had a mini-crush on Jenny Agutter back in the day.

"Freeway" (1996) starring Reese Witherspoon, Brooke Shields and Keifer Sutherland. Reese Witherspoon delivers an incredible nasty performance in this.

The Jenny Agutter reference reminded me of another old movie I haven't seen in years - American Werewolf in London. Awesome flick.

scho63 08-27-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14411475)
The Jenny Agutter reference reminded me of another old movie I haven't seen in years - American Werewolf in London. Awesome flick.

Oh shit that's a great one and I haven't heard that movie mentioned in years!

POS REP for you my friend. :thumb:

scho63 08-27-2019 11:14 AM

Here's a couple more oldies but goodies:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) Forrest Whitaker kicks ass

King of New York (1990) Christopher Walken is 'da bomb

Frazod 08-27-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14411502)
Oh shit that's a great one and I haven't heard that movie mentioned in years!

POS REP for you my friend. :thumb:

American Werewolf came out when I was in high school. I went to see it with my girlfriend and another female friend, who sat on either side of me. I had already seen it a couple of days earlier, so I knew where the scary parts were and didn't flinch, while both of them clung to me for most of the movie. Meanwhile, a bunch of my buddies were seated a couple of rows behind me without dates. That was a fun night. :D

BucEyedPea 08-27-2019 11:37 AM

I just saw Four Weddings and a Funeral Again on Netflix, because I forgot what it was about. ( besides there were 4 weddings and a funeral and Hugh Grant was in it)

The Wizard of Oz.

Raiderhater 08-27-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Jenny Agutter was also in The Eagle Has Landed that I mentioned earlier. I thought she was pretty cute at the time. And then eventually I saw Logan’s Run and my infatuation grew significantly.

lcarus 08-27-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14411528)
American Werewolf came out when I was in high school. I went to see it with my girlfriend and another female friend, who sat on either side of me. I had already seen it a couple of days earlier, so I knew where the scary parts were and didn't flinch, while both of them clung to me for most of the movie. Meanwhile, a bunch of my buddies were seated a couple of rows behind me without dates. That was a fun night. :D

When I was in high school we saw American Werewolf in Paris in 98 at the Olathe dollar theater. Shit movie. Good times.

The first one was so much better.

Frazod 08-27-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14411961)
Jenny Agutter was also in The Eagle Has Landed that I mentioned earlier. I thought she was pretty cute at the time. And then eventually I saw Logan’s Run and my infatuation grew significantly.

Yeah, she had no problem showing the goods. :thumb:

Frazod 08-27-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 14411979)
When I was in high school we saw American Werewolf in Paris in 98 at the Olathe dollar theater. Shit movie. Good times.

The first one was so much better.

Never saw it. Heard it sucked, didn't want it to diminish how much I liked the first one. Much like Arthur 2 and Alien 3, it does not exist in my world.

Raiderhater 08-27-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14412115)
Yeah, she had no problem showing the goods. :thumb:

Given that, American Werewolf is on the list of movies I still haven’t gotten around to seeing... so is there a reason I should bump it in priority?

Frazod 08-27-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14412131)
Given that, American Werewolf is on the list of movies I still haven’t gotten around to seeing... so is there a reason I should bump it in priority?

Sure. It's a great movie. Obviously the special effects may seem dated to you at this point, but at the time they were ground breaking. IIRC, Rick Baker won an Oscar for the make-up effects. It's also funny as hell when it's not being scary as hell, is very well written, and has a great cast. I'll never understood why David Naughton didn't become a big star. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Frazod 08-27-2019 06:12 PM

Another interesting film from that general time period is Altered States, starring William Hurt as a scientist who takes genetic research just a bit too far. Very trippy. Also has great visuals. I haven't seen it for a long time, but I think it would still hold up well.

Raiderhater 08-27-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14412145)
Sure. It's a great movie. Obviously the special effects may seem dated to you at this point, but at the time they were ground breaking. IIRC, Rick Baker won an Oscar for the make-up effects. It's also funny as hell when it's not being scary as hell, is very well written, and has a great cast. I'll never understood why David Naughton didn't become a big star. I think you'd really enjoy it.

I think you missed what I was getting at. ;)

I have no problem with old movies and their [by today’s standard] lackluster special effects. With all my current down time I have been putting a little extra time into shows and movies I haven’t seen before. Some of them haven’t even been on my list because I didn’t even know about them. I had a couple of late nights I dedicated to watching some old film noirs that I wasn’t familiar with, and still more of them sitting there waiting on me. So I don’t mind dated so long as it either well acted with a good story/plot or, fun.

Frazod 08-27-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14412175)
I think you missed what I was getting at. ;)

I have no problem with old movies and their [by today’s standard] lackluster special effects. With all my current down time I have been putting a little extra time into shows and movies I haven’t seen before. Some of them haven’t even been on my list because I didn’t even know about them. I had a couple of late nights I dedicated to watching some old film noirs that I wasn’t familiar with, and still more of them sitting there waiting on me. So I don’t mind dated so long as it either well acted with a good story/plot or, fun.

Yes, bump it to the top of your list!

Frazod 08-27-2019 06:36 PM

First attack scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hb7zhYzenhY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiderhater 08-27-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14412185)
Yes, bump it to the top of your list!

:thumb: I’ll check Prime and Netflix for it.

cripple creek 08-27-2019 07:00 PM

1970's Kelly's heroes

Frazod 08-27-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cripple creek (Post 14412216)
1970's Kelly's heroes

Another one of my favorites. One of the best casts ever assembled.

Deberg_1990 08-27-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14412162)
Another interesting film from that general time period is Altered States, starring William Hurt as a scientist who takes genetic research just a bit too far. Very trippy. Also has great visuals. I haven't seen it for a long time, but I think it would still hold up well.

Haven’t seen that since the 80s.

Just watched clips on YouTube after season 1 of Stranger Things ripped it off.

IowaHawkeyeChief 08-27-2019 07:35 PM

I watched Youngblood the other day... It seemed better in the 80's, but still entertaining...

Ubeja Vontell 08-28-2019 12:56 AM

The Sword and the Dragon a fantastic fantasy flick from Russia. A must see.

Tribal Warfare 08-28-2019 01:56 AM

Monster Squad

Body Snatchers (1993)

RoboJox

Superman 3 and 4 (Christopher Reeve)

Cool Hand Luke

Jaws 3 and 4

The Navigator

Goonies

Kclee 08-28-2019 05:29 AM

Yellow Beard

Midnight Madness

Cannonball Run

Krull

Poltergeist

Pasta Little Brioni 08-28-2019 06:50 AM

Clockwork Orange

Freddie got fingered

DeepPurple 08-28-2019 06:57 AM

I find it strange was American Werewolf actor David Naughton between that movie and he was doing those Dr. Pepper commercials at the time, I would of thought he'd be a big star. Don't remember ever seeing him ever again. I looked at his film credits and he's been busy, just not stuff I watch I guess.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...5NTQ@._V1_.jpg

scho63 08-28-2019 09:32 AM

The Outsiders (1983) Directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring:

C. Thomas Howell as Ponyboy Curtis
Matt Dillon as Dallas "Dally" Winston
Ralph Macchio as Johnny Cade
Patrick Swayze as Darrel "Darry" Curtis
Rob Lowe as Sodapop Curtis
Emilio Estevez as Keith "Two-Bit" Matthews
Tom Cruise as Steve Randle
Glenn Withrow as Tim Shepard
Diane Lane as Sherri "Cherry" Valance
Leif Garrett as Robert "Bob" Sheldon
Darren Dalton as Randy Anderson
Michelle Meyrink as Marcia
Tom Waits as Buck Merrill
Flea and Nicolas Cage have uncredited cameos as background Socs. Heather Langenkamp was cast to play Evie, Steve's girlfriend, but her scenes were cut from the final film. Television writer and showrunner Trey Callaway also has an uncredited speaking role as "Soc in Concession Stand."

Dallas Chief 08-28-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Freeway was an interesting take on Little Red Riding Hood. Great performances by Reese and Kiefer.

Nzoner 08-28-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14412162)

That reminded me of another Hurt film I haven't seen in forever that I liked a lot Body Heat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wz-Pf9_SKeI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 08-28-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14410533)
I mentioned To Live and Die in LA in the Mindhunters Netflex thread when I brought up the film Manhunter was a prequel to Silence of the Lambs. I said if you like William Petersen in that film, watch his next film To Live and Die.

That reminds me since we're both Manhunter fans I was curious to know if you were also a Michael Mann fan? Personally,I think I've seen all of his fims but wanted to know if you had seen The Keep directed by him?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jaw-UDdB9Hw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 08-28-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14412952)
That reminded me of another Hurt film I haven't seen in forever that I liked a lot Body Heat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wz-Pf9_SKeI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember seeing in the theater when I was in high school as well. Can't share the memorable Kathleen Turner scenes for obvious reasons :drool: but I really enjoyed young Mickey Rourke's roll.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eLAbh_LceNw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 08-28-2019 01:38 PM

Although it hasn't been decades I wanted to give Sorcerer some due props for anyone looking for not just a good but IMO great 70's film directed by the French Connection's William Friedkin.The title is a little off also IMO so watch the trailer to get the plot.It has few subtitles but not enough to be a pain(although I personally don't mind subtitles).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3BDbIzovuos" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 08-28-2019 01:57 PM

I've never seen Sorcerer, outside of the rickety bridge scene. Its definitely on the list.

Nzoner 08-28-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14413006)
I've never seen Sorcerer, outside of the rickety bridge scene. Its definitely on the list.

It's considered to be a remake of a 1953 French film called The Wages Of Fear(which I also own and highly recommend if you can handle subtitles.) Enjoy,I think you'll love one or both.

Mennonite 08-28-2019 02:35 PM

^ yeah, both versions are great.

KC_Lee 08-28-2019 02:37 PM

Time Bandits. Loved that movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vioocIR0gHQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Megatron96 08-28-2019 03:00 PM

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Frazod 08-28-2019 03:03 PM

Damn, these last few posts is like every movie I saw in high school. I guess I should throw Porky's in as well. :D

Of course, my favorite movies from high school (Blade Runner, Star Trek II, Conan, Excalibur) I tend to watch every couple of years.

DeepPurple 08-28-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14412972)
That reminds me since we're both Manhunter fans I was curious to know if you were also a Michael Mann fan? Personally,I think I've seen all of his fims but wanted to know if you had seen The Keep directed by him?

No, I haven't seen that one. I guess I do like his style, never thought about it, but I just realized I really liked Collateral with Tom Cruise, I have it on my DVR right now. I had forgotten Mann did that film. Maybe he just makes good films kind like David Fincher.

Speaking of films we haven't seen in a while. I've been on the lookout the past year for "After the Fox", I haven't seen it in about 20 years. It was a 1966 Peter Sellers film. Not a Pink Panther, but a funny premise. Sellers poses as a movie director and goes to a small Italian town and to rob the bank, he enlists all the towns people and the police into working on the movie. The star of the film is an over-the-hill actor played by Victor Mature, who is perfect for the role. Sort of like Gloria Swanson was perfect for Sunset Blvd. The only thing I can think of for it not being a hit, was maybe the title didn't quite fit. It's really funny.

https://www.cia.edu/files/cinematheq...fterthefox.jpg

https://mikestakeonthemovies.files.w...he-fox_jpg.jpg

Nzoner 08-29-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14413284)
No, I haven't seen that one. I guess I do like his style, never thought about it, but I just realized I really liked Collateral with Tom Cruise, I have it on my DVR right now. I had forgotten Mann did that film. Maybe he just makes good films kind like David Fincher.

I'd agree with the good films take and IMO it's his use of music as well that make those films even better. Here's something you might find interesting on his movie scores my biggest beef with this article is Last Of The Mohicans not making their list but I'd also agree they nailed it with Thief and Tangerine Dream's music.

I'm assuming most of us have seen Thief but if not here's the opening of the film and IMO the music setting the stage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SEvomyYkIPY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeepPurple 08-29-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14413776)
I'd agree with the good films take and IMO it's his use of music as well that make those films even better. Here's something you might find interesting on his movie scores my biggest beef with this article is Last Of The Mohicans not making their list but I'd also agree they nailed it with Thief and Tangerine Dream's music.

I saw the Thief in early 80's, I think on HBO, and I remember in '83 I took a trip to NYC for the first time. I was a Rangers hockey fan then, Ron Duguay and Phil Esposito where my favorites. Anyway, I went to the big 4 story Tower Records on Fifth Ave and then walked along McDougal St to all the independent record shops on that street. I ended up buying about a half dozen Tangerine Dream albums on that trip, I guess mostly from seeing The Thief.

I remember after seeing the first Godfather in the theater, I saw previews for the next James Caan movie, Slither. It also had Sally Kellerman, who I liked in Mash, it wasn't a bad flick. Much different than I thought it would be. I've never seen it shown on TV, strange since it was pretty decent.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...8,1000_AL_.jpg

DeepPurple 08-29-2019 09:00 AM

Since Peter Boyle was in Slither, that reminded me of a film called "Joe" from 1970. I was stationed in the DMZ of South Korea in 1970, it was small camp with about 200 troops. We operated an airfield that flew helicopters up and down the North Korean border. We didn't really have a movie theater, but the chaplain set up movies in one of the quonset huts and he would get new movies in.

I never forgot the film "Joe", starring Peter Boyle, who at the time was a no-name actor. It's about a redneck guy that's in a neighborhood bar and he's cussing all the blacks and low-life druggies for all the problems in society. They don't hold back on any language in this film. It has a real twist ending that I don't want to give away, but it's a movie worth seeing, and it's another one that is never shown. It will never be on regular TV but maybe HBO or some premium channel.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...yMjg@._V1_.jpg

Megatron96 09-01-2019 02:20 PM

Here's a good one. "Dream Team" with Michael Keaton is on right now. Forgot just how funny and just good this flick was.

Frazod 09-01-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14419404)
Here's a good one. "Dream Team" with Michael Keaton is on right now. Forgot just how funny and just good this flick was.

Arise and walk, my son. IIRC that made me spit my drink the first time I saw it. LMAO

Megatron96 09-01-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14419460)
Arise and walk, my son. IIRC that made me spit my drink the first time I saw it. LMAO

Just watched that scene less than 10 minutes ago! Still made me laugh out loud.

007 09-01-2019 03:47 PM

I didn't really expect much when I thought to post this. It's been a very fun read.

Easy 6 09-01-2019 03:56 PM

The Entity, haven’t seen it since I was a kid

Tons of nudity, ghost rape... a trippy mix for my, probably 10-12 year old mind at the time