ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports A Great Baseball Player Died Today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330428)

theoldcoach 04-06-2020 03:27 PM

A Great Baseball Player Died Today

I know that most of you are too young to remember this guy. Many of you have probably never even heard of him. But former Detroit Tiger Al Kaline died today at the age of 85.

He was known as "Mr. Tiger". In a 22 year career with the Tigers, Kaline was an 18 time All Star. He was a 10 time Gold Glove winner as an outfielder. He was the youngest player to ever win the American League batting title when he hit .340 in 1955 as a 20 year old. He hit .300 or better in nine seasons.

Al Kaline was a first ballot Hall of Famer, elected during his first year of eligibility in 1980.

Al Kaline was a class act. He was a baseball players, baseball player.

Sad to see yet another of the great players of baseball's Golden Years of the 1950's and 1960's leave us. A time period when every team was filled with superstars and future Hall of Famers abounded.

Rest in Peace, Al Kaline. You were a credit to the game of baseball.

DanT 04-06-2020 03:32 PM

Great player and interesting commentator

seclark 04-06-2020 03:33 PM

i'm not too young
rip mr. tiger
sec

Abba-Dabba 04-06-2020 03:53 PM

Al Kaline would still sign any thing, for any one...for a $10 bill.

Why Not? 04-06-2020 03:56 PM

To young to remember him.

Not sure how anyone who claims to be a fan of baseball could’ve never heard of him.

RIP

Hydrae 04-06-2020 04:04 PM

I had no idea he was still alive. One of the greats for sure.

RIP

CrossCheck 04-06-2020 04:13 PM

I had an Al Kaline glove when I was a kid. RIP Al

mililo4cpa 04-06-2020 05:42 PM

Most of my family was originally from Detroit, and as a youngster, I grew up there....I'm way too young for Kaline the player, but I remember watching the '84 Championship team on a little Black and White 13" TV back in the day....If I remember correctly, the announcers for the local broadcasts were George Kerr and Al Kaline. Loved every minute of it! Rest In Peace Mr. Kaline!

Rain Man 04-06-2020 05:49 PM

When I was a kid a long time ago, I had an Al Kaline baseball card. And the baseball card was really old. And in the baseball card, Al Kaline looked old in the photo. That's old to the third power. I would have never guessed he was still alive. He must've had a good long life.

theoldcoach 04-06-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mililo4cpa (Post 14890985)
Most of my family was originally from Detroit, and as a youngster, I grew up there....I'm way too young for Kaline the player, but I remember watching the '84 Championship team on a little Black and White 13" TV back in the day....If I remember correctly, the announcers for the local broadcasts were George Kerr and Al Kaline. Loved every minute of it! Rest In Peace Mr. Kaline!

It was George Kell, who himself was a Hall of Fame Tiger 3rd baseman.

jerryaldini 04-06-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14890995)
When I was a kid a long time ago, I had an Al Kaline baseball card. And the baseball card was really old. And in the baseball card, Al Kaline looked old in the photo. That's old to the third power. I would have never guessed he was still alive. He must've had a good long life.

I had an AK too, and yeah he looked old. Incredible career. Loved those old Tiger teams. Kaline, Norm Cash, Willie Horton, Bill Freehan, Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain. RIP #9.

wazu 04-06-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14890995)

When I was a kid I wanted an Al Kaline baseball card, but they were all too old, and therefore too expensive. I wondered if they named the battery after him, since he must've been given a name before the battery was invented.

Ubeja Vontell 04-06-2020 06:23 PM

I don't follow baseball at all but like any sports fan I will have to hear about it while waiting to hear about what interests me, I have heard of Al Kaline, if I recall right he was a serious hitter, no?

Spott 04-06-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell (Post 14891055)
I don't follow baseball at all but like any sports fan I will have to hear about it while waiting to hear about what interests me, I have heard of Al Kaline, if I recall right he was a serious hitter, no?

He was more than just a basic everyday player.

Al Czervik 04-06-2020 07:15 PM

RIP AK!!!