ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

chiefzilla1501 02-01-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10405078)
Just watched "Memento" on Netflix. So good.

If Christopher Nolan's ever made a bad movie, I haven't seen it.

Wasn't a huge fan of Insomniac. But "Following"... that's a short and pretty interesting one.

Deberg_1990 02-01-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10406661)
Wasn't a huge fan of Insomniac. But "Following"... that's a short and pretty interesting one.

Insomnia. And I thought that was pretty solid as well.

ragedogg69 02-01-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10405094)
The first was the best, IMO. Really date rapey at first.. I really cringed at that. But I suppose that's the point. They need to deserve what's coming to them. And...

Spoiler!

"I like you."

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10405103)
Another fun anthology horror movie.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wUqsXvBAqRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I LOVE that movie. I try to watch it every October. They are making a sequel.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10405588)
Bad Grandpa wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was going to be.

It has its moments.

SAME. I was like, "huh, I already saw this in the trailer."

A perfect example why trailers need to be shorter.

KcMizzou 02-01-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10406776)
I LOVE that movie. I try to watch it every October. They are making a sequel.

Seriously? That's awesome news. I don't think the original ever even made it to theaters.

Bowser 02-01-2014 08:46 PM

See, I'm so out of the loop that this is what I thought you were talking about...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g2Iv2vVIqng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here you go as well, just because I can't get this song out of my ****ing head now....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cnllTVtpOlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KcMizzou 02-01-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10406816)
See, I'm so out of the loop that this is what I thought you were talking about...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g2Iv2vVIqng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here you go as well, just because I can't get this song out of my ****ing head now....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cnllTVtpOlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, not nearly as good. (unless you have some kinda nostalgia for it.)

Bowser 02-01-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10406822)
Yeah, not nearly as good. (unless you have some kinda nostalgia for it.)

Just the first thing that popped to mind. I saw the comment that said they were making a sequel to it, and I immediately was "Hahaha NO".

ragedogg69 02-01-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10406783)
Seriously? That's awesome news. I don't think the original ever even made it to theaters.

correct. straight to dvd.

October 2015 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3300506/

Anyong Bluth 02-02-2014 09:20 PM

After the Dark was a pretty interesting movie, would definitely recommend it as totally worth watching.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IJ36cRPg9es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nstygma 02-03-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10409977)
After the Dark was a pretty interesting movie, would definitely recommend it as totally worth watching.

I did not like it at all. And why did they change the name? Should have remained The Philosophers.

Anyong Bluth 02-04-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10412631)
I did not like it at all. And why did they change the name? Should have remained The Philosophers.

No clue, the title during the opening credits even remained The Philosophers... ?

Bowser 02-04-2014 11:58 AM

Got caught up on a couple of Sci-Fi's I've been meaning to watch...

Riddick - I enjoyed it. They blended the first two movies into this one quite nicely. Might have had the feel of a re-run cliché to those who didn't like it, but not me. I'd watch it again for just a glimpse of Katee Sackhoff's boobies again. She has a fantastic body if you didn't know. Damn. Anyway, I look forward to the next movie in the series.

Oblivion - I was caught off guard with how much I liked this movie. The visuals were fantastic, and these days I'm a sucker for a storyline or plot that is even remotely original. Definitely worth your time if you haven't seen it.

NewChief 02-04-2014 12:00 PM

Watched Ip Man last night. Other than being a little heavy on the Chinese nationalistic propaganda, it's pretty danged good. Going to watch the second one today at some point.

ragedogg69 02-04-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10413340)

Oblivion - I was caught off guard with how much I liked this movie. The visuals were fantastic, and these days I'm a sucker for a storyline or plot that is even remotely original. Definitely worth your time if you haven't seen it.

I would have loved it even more if I had not seen the trailers for it. Those things give away quite a bit.

Anyong Bluth 02-04-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10413345)
Watched Ip Man last night. Other than being a little heavy on the Chinese nationalistic propaganda, it's pretty danged good. Going to watch the second one today at some point.

Haven't seen them yet, gonna start with Grandmaster first. It's all about his life and story and eventually training Bruce Lee and a bunch of other badasses. Hasn't been out long, but looks good from the trailers.

Anyong Bluth 02-04-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Riddick - I enjoyed it. They blended the first two movies into this one quite nicely. Might have had the feel of a re-run cliché to those who didn't like it, but not me. I'd watch it again for just a glimpse of Katee Sackhoff's boobies again. She has a fantastic body if you didn't know. Damn. Anyway, I look forward to the next movie in the series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10413729)
I would have loved it even more if I had not seen the trailers for it. Those things give away quite a bit.

2nd Oblivion is being made, apparently a prequel.

Count me in the happily surprised with how good it was crowd.

Cruise has actually been doing some good projects post going batshit crazy - MI Ghost Protocol, Jack Reacher, etc

NewChief 02-04-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10413758)
Haven't seen them yet, gonna start with Grandmaster first. It's all about his life and story and eventually training Bruce Lee and a bunch of other badasses. Hasn't been out long, but looks good from the trailers.

This whole Ip Man movie series is weird. There's Ip Man 1 and Ip Man 2 directed by Wilson Yip. There was initially supposed to be a third one to detail his relationship with Bruce Lee, but some of the players have said they don't want to make a 3rd, though Yip does.

Then there is Grandmaster, Ip Man: the Final Fight and Ip Man: Birth of the Legend, all of which are biopics by two different directors. Really weird, because all of these came out within a few years of each other (from like 2008-2013).

On top of all of that, there is overlap in the actors between the franchises, but they play different characters in the different franchises.

Anyway I think I'll probably watch Birth of the Legend, because I'm curious about his life prior to when we meet him in Ip Man 1.

Edit: I could be totally wrong about the summary above, but I got curious and that's what about 10 minutes of researching on the internet yielded.

-King- 02-04-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Yep, rewatched Oblivion this morning. One of the best scifi movies of the last few years.

NewChief 02-04-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10413865)
Yep, rewatched Oblivion this morning. One of the best scifi movies of the last few years.

I like it as well, and I didn't understand why it got so much hate in the other movies thread.

TrickyNicky 02-04-2014 04:12 PM

Forget Ip Man, Wong Fei Hung is where it's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV4QBdrOssI

nstygma 02-04-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10413923)
I like it as well, and I didn't understand why it got so much hate in the other movies thread.

I like it a lot as well. Yet, I don't really trust my judgment on this one, since I have somewhat of an infatuation with Olga Kurylenko. I liked Hitman as well, and I hear it was horrible.

KcMizzou 02-04-2014 06:32 PM

Agreed on Oblivion. I liked it a lot.

Had really low expectations going in, and that probably helped. But it was a pretty interesting story.

KcMizzou 02-04-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10413923)

Cruise?

He's the reason I haven't seen Jack Reacher on Netflix yet.

(and I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense)

ThaVirus 02-04-2014 07:20 PM

Jack Reacher was entertaining as hell.

Oblivion sucked. Looked great and had me intrigued but the reveal was weak.

-King- 02-04-2014 07:28 PM

Finally watched The Prestige. I liked it but to me, the "twist" at the end felt really cheap and I can't get over the fact that there was pretty much real magic used

chiefzilla1501 02-04-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10414489)
Finally watched The Prestige. I liked it but to me, the "twist" at the end felt really cheap and I can't get over the fact that there was pretty much real magic used

I think you might find The Illusionist interesting too, then.

Buehler445 02-04-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10414632)
I think you might find The Illusionist interesting too, then.

I liked both.

ThaVirus 02-05-2014 12:54 AM

If you're into animated superhero flicks, Justice League: War was damn good. I won't say it's quite on the level of Crisis On Two Earths or Doom but it was, at the very least, pretty close.

It was a decent Justice League origin story and the animation was on point. My only complaint is that they made Green Lantern seem like a pussy and I'd rather have seen Aquaman instead of Cyborg (although I understand why Cyborg made more sense given the plot). Also, Wonder Woman put in a disgusting amount of work.

Ceej 02-05-2014 07:30 AM

Netflix type of day. Recommendations?

chiefzilla1501 02-05-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10415299)
Netflix type of day. Recommendations?

What are you looking for? Some good movies and some outstanding documentaries.

TrickyNicky 02-05-2014 11:52 AM

^^^ Blackfish. Its like a real life Free Willy. So heartwarming and uplifting.

chiefzilla1501 02-05-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 10415734)

Blackfish is excellent. If we're talking about documentaries, Food Inc. The Parking Lot movie was pretty good too. The most disturbing documentary I've ever seen is "Deliver us from evil" about a sociopath pedophile priest.

If we're talking about movies. Flight is excellent. Safety Not Guaranteed was one of the most underrated movies from last year. Drive is excellent if you can handle violence. And the Man From Nowhere is terrific if you like violence but with subtitles. If you want a truly ****ed up movie with subtitles, Oldboy. Young Adult is pretty good too.

For more comedy stuff... The premise gets old a little fast, but I thought Jay Baruchel was pretty hilarious in The Trotsky... at least for the first 45 minutes. I also enjoyed "Sleepwalk with Me" staring Mike Birbiglia

Pablo 02-05-2014 02:01 PM

Watch 'Hoop Dreams' if you're in the mood for a stellar basketball documentary.

'Undefeated' is a really good high school football documentary I watched last week.

NewChief 02-05-2014 02:05 PM

Watched Ender's Game. I was underwhelmed by it. I love the book, but the movie just didn't go into Ender's development enough for my taste. It felt like a Reader's Digest version (which I realize that most movie adaptations are that, but this one just felt rushed).

Rausch 02-05-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10414476)

Oblivion sucked. Looked great and had me intrigued but the reveal was weak.

This. I hated it.

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 02-05-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 10415734)

Jimmy Pardo was surprisingly worked up about this in the last NNF.

Some of the reasons here.

http://timzimmermann.com/2013/11/01/...ing-a-slander/

Rausch 02-05-2014 02:14 PM

Watched Elysium last night and really liked it.

Damon wasn't a do-good'er out to save the world. Just a guy hard on his luck who had to make some hard choices and grew along the way...

jiveturkey 02-05-2014 02:22 PM

Watched Prisoners this past weekend.

The acting was superb but the who and why seemed like a weird reach. I guess that there have been plenty of abduction stories so they have to get creative.

3 out of 5 stars on the Netflix-o-meter.

Ceej 02-05-2014 02:30 PM

I've seen Blackfish and Undefeated. Great minds think alike.

The fiancée had a snow day also. We're about to watch Captain Phillips.

Anyong Bluth 02-05-2014 08:55 PM

Tonight's feature presentation to start out - maybe a double feature night with the weather outside...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G3mPQnO7-HI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In58men 02-05-2014 09:14 PM

Going to start Saving Mr. Banks soon....

Pablo 02-06-2014 04:29 PM

Watched 'Somm' on Netflix. Very intense and in depth look at what it takes to pass the Master Sommelier exam.

I'm no wine or spirits buff; but you get a good sense that the guys that achieve this title most definitely know their shit. And they aren't bullshitting when they say they taste decaying lilac, or river rock or some such crazy flavor. Worth watching if you're remotely interested in wine.

Fire Me Boy! 02-06-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10417766)
Watched 'Somm' on Netflix. Very intense and in depth look at what it takes to pass the Master Sommelier exam.

I'm no wine or spirits buff; but you get a good sense that the guys that achieve this title most definitely know their shit. And they aren't bullshitting when they say they taste decaying lilac, or river rock or some such crazy flavor. Worth watching if you're remotely interested in wine.

Thanks! Mrs. FMB! and I have been reading a "train your taste buds" book for wine, and it's really remarkable what you can actually start to pick up by really focusing on what you're drinking. I'm nowhere near being able to figure out what decaying lilac tastes like, but I'm capable of telling whether or not something was oak aged now and pick out some of the subtler fruits, which is something I don't think I could have done before. It's fun stuff!

Pablo 02-06-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10417782)
Thanks! Mrs. FMB! and I have been reading a "train your taste buds" book for wine, and it's really remarkable what you can actually start to pick up by really focusing on what you're drinking. I'm nowhere near being able to figure out what decaying lilac tastes like, but I'm capable of telling whether or not something was oak aged now and pick out some of the subtler fruits, which is something I don't think I could have done before. It's fun stuff!

Yeah, I'm heading to the store here in a bit to pick up a bottle of wine and see if I can pick out some of the flavor profiles. It's worth a shot. Maybe it's something I'll enjoy doing. I've never been a serious wine drinker, but I'll give it a go.

Guarantee you all will enjoy the documentary. It runs about 90 minutes.

rocknrolla 02-06-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10415084)
I liked both.

I thought they were both great.

Ceej 02-07-2014 08:45 AM

Fun Size, currently on Netflix was pretty good.

The convenient store clerk "Fuzzy" was hilariousl

ragedogg69 02-08-2014 07:17 PM

i highly recommend all the docs that were just listed. The only one I questioned was Food Inc. simply because I have to ask, are we raising food or animals. Your answer affects how you feel about the doc.

-King- 02-09-2014 12:08 AM

Saw a random movie named Killer Joe on Cinemax...

I don't know what the **** I just watched LMAO. I literally said "Wait...what?" when the movie ended.

It's at 77% on RottenTomatoes? What the ****?! LMAO

In58men 02-09-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10421744)
Saw a random movie named Killer Joe on Cinemax...

I don't know what the **** I just watched LMAO. I literally said "Wait...what?" when the movie ended.

Watch "Rubber" then come talk to me lol. It's on netflix.

-King- 02-09-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10421747)
Watch "Rubber" then come talk to me lol. It's on netflix.

Saw it. Made more sense than Killer Joe.

And Rubber was intentionally ridiculous. I think killer Joe was meant to be taken somewhat seriously even though it is black comedy.

DrRyan 02-09-2014 12:15 AM

Just watched Fruitvale Station. Having two kids myself that was absolutely gut wrenching. I vaguely remember hearing about the situation when it happened.

Fish 02-09-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 10421758)
Just watched Fruitvale Station. Having two kids myself that was absolutely gut wrenching. I vaguely remember hearing about the situation when it happened.

Yeah, that was rough. It was a good movie.

Silock 02-09-2014 12:48 AM

Oblivion was dumb.

BigMeatballDave 02-09-2014 04:11 PM

I just watched Inception for the 1st time in over a year.

Brilliant ****ing movie!

Fairplay 02-09-2014 05:20 PM

American Hustle is very good with great acting, should get an award for something.

Bowser 02-09-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10422798)
I just watched Inception for the 1st time in over a year.

Brilliant ****ing movie!

Christopher Nolan could do a biography movie on Pee Wee Herman and I would watch it. He's just that good.

underEJ 02-09-2014 06:35 PM

saw the new documentary Tim's Vermeer. Made by Penn and Teller, but aside from one short two minute section, it leaves behind all their usual antics. I sometimes enjoy them on BullShit, but it would have been out of place here.

They mostly went with a straightforward doc style of interviews and project documentation to tell the story of a man who wants to figure out how 17th century Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer might have used optics and mirrors to paint very photographically well before photography. Not a new topic as there have been books exploring the idea, but he is the first to attempt to reenact the theorized process. As an inventor with no painting background, what he does is astounding even if it doesn't really confirm Vermeer had to have used this technique.

whether you buy the theory or not, the movie is pretty entertaining considering he is painting tediously for months on end.

ThaVirus 02-09-2014 11:52 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street was very entertaining and the comedy was off the chain. I was laughing the entire movie.

I think it's now safe to say that Leo Dicaprio is the best actor ever.

jiveturkey 02-10-2014 08:13 PM

Dallas Buyers Club was loaded with excellent performances.

SAUTO 02-10-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10425820)

agreed

jiveturkey 02-11-2014 10:42 AM

This looks interesting...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CcR5KHjoc-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikeyis4dcats. 02-11-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10425820)

The performances were great, but I think overall it is an overhyped movie.

Baby Lee 02-12-2014 03:33 AM

Blue Jasmine - If I had a critique, it would be that it ended too soon. Cate Blanchett does an amazing job of portraying a hapless victim and judgmental harpie simultaneously. Her hair should get a supporting actress nomination, as it served as barometer for her state of mind. The more composed it was, the more composed she was. And at times it was transcendent. When she was unravelling, her hair similarly unraveled to the point that at times I thought I was looking at Helen Thomas

Ceej 02-12-2014 05:14 PM

Nightmare Factory was pretty cool. It showed the evolution of Nicotero and group making monsters and gory films/scenes.

Highly recommended -- currently on Netflix.

mr. tegu 02-12-2014 05:33 PM

Has anyone seen The Monuments Men yet?

BigMeatballDave 02-12-2014 06:46 PM

Oldboy. Badass movie.

Creepy ending.

KcMizzou 02-12-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10430321)
Oldboy. Badass movie.

Creepy ending.

Original? Or the American remake?

Aries Walker 02-12-2014 09:06 PM

Movies opening this weekend: Romance, romance, romance, and Robocop.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-12-2014 11:17 PM

As a tribute to PSH, I watched The Talented Mr. Ripley for the first time in almost a decade last week. I forgot how much I loved Damon in that flick. He was fantastic.

Simply Red 02-13-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10430865)
As a tribute to PSH, I watched The Talented Mr. Ripley for the first time in almost a decade last week. I forgot how much I loved Damon in that flick. He was fantastic.

he is very believable. I agree.

Easy 6 02-13-2014 12:52 AM

Watching a pretty cool old western from 1971 called The Hunting Party with Gene Hackman, Oliver Reed, Candice Bergen, LQ Jones and several other familiar faces.

Its about a cattle barons wife who's kidnapped by bandits and he goes on the hunt for her... but wow, movies were just different back then... the guy responsible for her kidnapping smacks her around real good and rapes her a few times, but soon after she then begins to fall in love with him after the simple act of him giving her some peaches.

I mean, its kinda crazy considering the uproar something like this would probably cause these days... these old macho movies are pretty hilarious... all ya gotta do to tame a woman and make her fall in love is smack her around and give her a good poke, that'll set her straight!

Baby Lee 02-13-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10430955)
Watching a pretty cool old western from 1971 called The Hunting Party with Gene Hackman, Oliver Reed, Candice Bergen, LQ Jones and several other familiar faces.

Its about a cattle barons wife who's kidnapped by bandits and he goes on the hunt for her... but wow, movies were just different back then... the guy responsible for her kidnapping smacks her around real good and rapes her a few times, but soon after she then begins to fall in love with him after the simple act of him giving her some peaches.

I mean, its kinda crazy considering the uproar something like this would probably cause these days... these old macho movies are pretty hilarious... all ya gotta do to tame a woman and make her fall in love is smack her around and give her a good poke, that'll set her straight!

Labor Day?

Killer in on the lam falls has kidnappees fall in love with him over the power of pie?

chiefzilla1501 02-13-2014 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10430437)

I haven't seen the American remake. I've heard everyone say you have to watch the original.

Easy 6 02-13-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10430966)
Labor Day?

Killer in on the lam falls has kidnappees fall in love with him over the power of pie?

Cant say that I've heard of that one.

Baby Lee 02-13-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10431243)
Cant say that I've heard of that one.

http://www.labordaymovie.com/

underEJ 02-13-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10430955)

There is certainly some real life truth in the sympathizing with captors story line. It happens alot, and runs from helping a not-so-bad in the bad guy group, through the falling in love, or seemingly assimilating to the situation. I do think movies have gotten a bit better about exploring it than in particular old westerns like you called out.

However, there still remains a huge problem in tv/movies and that is the notion that violence somehow is a turn on to men. Care is taken to avoid violence of men toward women as a turn on, but there is still a rampant use of what I call the "slap and ****" where a woman is allowed to slap or otherwise inflict violence upon a man, and then the romance really takes off and they fall into passionate sex, as if all she needs is to have the frustration ****ed out of her. I could make a 2 hour movie of just examples of that progression that usually goes slap-hold arm from slapping again-stare at each other-crush each others faces in a really angry kiss- tear off clothes.

What a cheap device taking a short cut through what really amounts to a story problem. They set up the dislike so carefully and they know the payoff they want from the characters is to fall in love, they are just too lazy to do the hard work of really giving the relationship depth. Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

In Gangs of New York, a movie that I mostly really like aside from Cameron Diaz, and not because I don't like the actress, but because that character is a joke. She and Amsterdam are adversarial after he had rejected her, until one night she slaps him, they ****, no words hardly at all. Then while she sleeps, he has a great conversation with Bill the Butcher and we learn all sorts of good stuff about the two of them. Bill and Amsterdam of course, who would need to know anything about the girl character who's name I forget and Amsterdam? They slapped and ****ed. Clearly it is love.

BigMeatballDave 02-13-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10430437)

Remake

Easy 6 02-13-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 10431714)
There is certainly some real life truth in the sympathizing with captors story line. It happens alot, and runs from helping a not-so-bad in the bad guy group, through the falling in love, or seemingly assimilating to the situation. I do think movies have gotten a bit better about exploring it than in particular old westerns like you called out.

However, there still remains a huge problem in tv/movies and that is the notion that violence somehow is a turn on to men. Care is taken to avoid violence of men toward women as a turn on, but there is still a rampant use of what I call the "slap and ****" where a woman is allowed to slap or otherwise inflict violence upon a man, and then the romance really takes off and they fall into passionate sex, as if all she needs is to have the frustration ****ed out of her. I could make a 2 hour movie of just examples of that progression that usually goes slap-hold arm from slapping again-stare at each other-crush each others faces in a really angry kiss- tear off clothes.

What a cheap device taking a short cut through what really amounts to a story problem. They set up the dislike so carefully and they know the payoff they want from the characters is to fall in love, they are just too lazy to do the hard work of really giving the relationship depth. Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

In Gangs of New York, a movie that I mostly really like aside from Cameron Diaz, and not because I don't like the actress, but because that character is a joke. She and Amsterdam are adversarial after he had rejected her, until one night she slaps him, they ****, no words hardly at all. Then while she sleeps, he has a great conversation with Bill the Butcher and we learn all sorts of good stuff about the two of them. Bill and Amsterdam of course, who would need to know anything about the girl character who's name I forget and Amsterdam? They slapped and ****ed. Clearly it is love.

You sound a lot like a few of the online reviews I read about this movie afterwards, its roundly ripped.

Easy 6 02-13-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10431297)

Thanks for the effort, but my flash player is ALL jacked up right now, cant watch a damn thing.

patteeu 02-13-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10431865)
Thanks for the effort, but my flash player is ALL jacked up right now, cant watch a damn thing.

Here you go: Labor Day on IMDB