ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

KcMizzou 01-08-2014 08:53 PM

Dragonslayer was one of one of my favorite movies as a child. Watched it over and over. Considering the technology at the time (1981), that dragon was badass.

nstygma 01-08-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10356330)
Did they really? Yeah lets alienate our core demographic for this one and see what happens... "Disney meets Tarantino? Heres a blank check!"

Thats a damn shame and no wonder it fell off the charts so fast, Cage can really pick them these days... not.

You mean Jim Carrey?

Easy 6 01-08-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10356629)
You mean Jim Carrey?

Right, right... having a bit of a tipple tonight.

mr. tegu 01-08-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10355347)
LadyHawke! Damn that is a blast from the past. Great call. And we've debated Dragonheart, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort of me driving the family toward consensus on viewing.

August Rush might be a fun movie. It has some adult themes to it but with the central theme of the musical savant it could keep them engaged.

lcarus 01-08-2014 10:46 PM

I watched Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's "The World's End" the other night. Liked it. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead but what is? I do think I liked it better than Hot Fuzz though.

nstygma 01-09-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10356680)
Right, right... having a bit of a tipple tonight.

I liked Yes Man and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind though

Deberg_1990 01-09-2014 08:34 PM

Pearl Harbor on AMC tonight.

Still love the attack battle scene. Epic

Hammock Parties 01-09-2014 08:38 PM

I'm going to go to a matinee showing of HER tomorrow. Alone.

HOW SAD IS THAT

Deberg_1990 01-09-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10358548)

HOW SAD IS THAT

life imitating art?

Ceej 01-09-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10358548)

HOW SAD IS THAT

Looks awkwardly good.

In58men 01-09-2014 10:19 PM

The wife and I are going to watch Line Survivor tomorrow. Can't wait.

MrNightly 01-09-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10346427)
Okay:

I need suggestions for family friendly movies that aren't the typical animated Pixar stuff because my kids have seen all of those. Things along the lines of Jumanji, Ghostbusters, Willow, Star Wars, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc...

I'd prefer movies with enough complexity to keep adults entertained, but they've got to be off the beaten path a bit. Classics with some artistic merit are preferred. We're talking a mature (too mature) 6 year old and a 9 year old here. The Hobbit is about as far as I'll go with the six year old as far as adult themes, and I caved on that one in a moment of weakness (I wanted to see the damned thing too, and I figured letting him see it was my best bet).

Some others they've enjoyed lately:
Escape to Witch Mountain
The Last Mimzy
Air Bud and all the "buddy" movies (groan, I can't stand watching these).

I'm thinking I may hit up all the Miyazaki movies soon. They saw Ponyo when they were younger, but I think they'd like all of them. My older child is obsessed with movies (like on the verge of Asperger's obsessed), so I'd like for him to at least watch stuff that isn't total shit, as he'll sit there and watch Super Buddies, Air Bud, Santa Buddies, and that dreck over and over if I let him, which causes no end of fights about what we're going to watch on family movie nights.

My girls (9 and 7) love the following:

- Aliens in the Attic (Pretty good flick for kids! I typically sit down and watch it with them when it's on!)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Monster House

I'll think of some others, but those are all ones I can enjoy too with them.

MrNightly 01-09-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10350497)
Good ones. Here are a few more.

Big (Tom Hanks)
Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan)
Stardust
The Last Starfighter
Dragonslayer

Stardust is one of my fav's. Whenever I was dating a new chick, I'd make her watch that one to see if she cut the mustard ;)

Best Cartoon Ever? Hoodwinked.

Best SlapStick? Johnny English! Got to watch annually just for laughs and to put me in a better mood.

Deberg_1990 01-09-2014 10:41 PM

My kids 11 and 9 love the Percy Jackson flicks

kcxiv 01-10-2014 07:10 AM

Escape Plan with Sly, Arnie and Jim Cavaziel is pretty damned good. Cavaziel plays a jackass on the movie. He did a damned good job.

Fairplay 01-11-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10358662)
The wife and I are going to watch Line Survivor tomorrow. Can't wait.

I watched all the seasons of survivor.

Fairplay 01-11-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10358892)
Escape Plan with Sly, Arnie and Jim Cavaziel is pretty damned good. Cavaziel plays a jackass on the movie. He did a damned good job.

I'll have to watch that.

Anyone know if Wolverine is worth the rental?

Pablo 01-11-2014 04:29 PM

Saw Dallas Buyer's Club last night.

McConaughey's best work I'd have to believe.

I would recommend it.

Anyong Bluth 01-11-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10361753)
I'll have to watch that.

Surprisingly, it's actually pretty good. Not great, but if you like super hero movies, it's a good rental.

Fire Me Boy! 01-11-2014 04:53 PM

I assume you've already watched this one, but How to Train Your Dragon was outstanding.

Anyong Bluth 01-11-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10361772)
Saw Dallas Buyer's Club last night.

McConaughey's best work I'd have to believe.

I would recommend it.

Definitely a good movie, and I think he gave a better performance than even in Mud.

Crazy this is Leto's 1st movie in like 4 or 5 years. I always liked him as an actor, and think Lord of War was an underappreciated flick. Also good in Fight Club.

Aries Walker 01-11-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

I'll have to watch that.

It was. It wasn't perfect, but it was character-focused and there was a mystery element to it, which was a nice touch. Go for it.

Pablo 01-11-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10361901)
Definitely a good movie, and I think he gave a better performance than even in Mud.

Crazy this is Leto's 1st movie in like 4 or 5 years. I always liked him as an actor, and think Lord of War was an underappreciated flick. Also good in Fight Club.

Yeah, he did a marvelous job.

Buehler445 01-12-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

I'll have to watch that.

I'd recommend it.

Buehler445 01-12-2014 01:22 AM

Finally watched Jack Reacher (it's on prime if anyone wants to catch it free.)

I thought it was really ****ing good. Solid performances by all, even Cruise, and man it has been a long time since I've watched an action flick in which I didn't know what was going to happen.

Pablo 01-12-2014 01:23 AM

I just watched 'Butter' on Netflix.

Jennifer Gardner and Ty Burell (Phil from Modern Family) as the main leads. Quirky, fun little comedy centered about butter sculpting. I'd say it's worth your 90 minutes if you like a mildly engaging story with plenty of good laughs. The wife and I enjoyed it.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10363391)
I just watched 'Butter' on Netflix.

Jennifer Gardner and Ty Burell (Phil from Modern Family) as the main leads. Quirky, fun little comedy centered about butter sculpting. I'd say it's worth your 90 minutes if you like a mildly engaging story with plenty of good laughs. The wife and I enjoyed it.

Watched it months ago, but I agree, I enjoyed it.

Nzoner 01-12-2014 09:27 AM

We watched We're The Millers this weekend,personally I loved it,laughed my ass off.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 12:00 PM

Watched In a World... last night and loved it.

It's written and directed by Lake Bell- if you were a Boston Legal fan, you'll remember her as Sally Heap.

Bunch of known actors make small appearances, and the other lead is Ken Marino. (The State, also in the last season of Eastbound and Down)

Most of the Cast:
Lake Bell
Fred Melamed
Demetri Martin
Michaela Watkins
Ken Marino
Rob Corddry
Nick Offerman
Tig Notaro
Eva Longoria
Jeff Garlin
Cameron Diaz
Geena Davis
Luke Wilson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bZHBjLFu5is?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-12-2014 06:45 PM

Watch Europa Report this morning. It was enjoyable. Not what I was expecting - was expecting more of an Alien vibe - but good.

Deberg_1990 01-12-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10363812)

It's written and directed by Lake Bell- if you were a Boston Legal fan, you'll remember her as Sally Heap.

No, but was a fan of a Surface on NBC

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452718/...nm_flmg_act_29

Dayze 01-12-2014 09:00 PM

watched Red Tails today.

steaming turd.

watched Identity Thief also and laughed quite a bit.

nstygma 01-12-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10365719)
Watch Europa Report this morning. It was enjoyable. Not what I was expecting - was expecting more of an Alien vibe - but good.

I liked it until the ending. Who thought that would be a good idea?

Bump 01-13-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10366507)
I liked it until the ending. Who thought that would be a good idea?

ya the ending was a bit reeruned, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I didn't care for the marine biologist lady not getting back inside and the guy drifting into space was super cheesy.

Fish 01-13-2014 10:05 AM

Watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was actually really impressed. It totally exceeded my expectations in a good way. Touching movie that makes you want to get off your ass and do something with your pathetic life...

NewChief 01-13-2014 10:19 AM

Watched WWZ last night.

It was as I figured: I liked the movie, but I wish they wouldn't have named it after the book. The expectations built by saying it was based on the book were unfair to the movie.

Knowing that there would no similarity, I let myself enjoy the movie for its own sake. Still pisses me off that it's supposedly based on the excellent book, though.

In58men 01-13-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10361895)
I assume you've already watched this one, but How to Train Your Dragon was outstanding.

They're making a part 2

DMAC 01-13-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Okay:

I need suggestions for family friendly movies that aren't the typical animated Pixar stuff because my kids have seen all of those. Things along the lines of Jumanji, Ghostbusters, Willow, Star Wars, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc...

I'd prefer movies with enough complexity to keep adults entertained, but they've got to be off the beaten path a bit. Classics with some artistic merit are preferred. We're talking a mature (too mature) 6 year old and a 9 year old here. The Hobbit is about as far as I'll go with the six year old as far as adult themes, and I caved on that one in a moment of weakness (I wanted to see the damned thing too, and I figured letting him see it was my best bet).

Escape to Witch Mountain
The Last Mimzy

I'm thinking I may hit up all the Miyazaki movies soon. They saw Ponyo when they were younger, but I think they'd like all of them. My older child is obsessed with movies (like on the verge of Asperger's obsessed), so I'd like for him to at least watch stuff that isn't total shit, as he'll sit there and watch Super Buddies, Air Bud, Santa Buddies, and that dreck over and over if I let him, which causes no end of fights about what we're going to watch on family movie nights.

Flight of the Navigator

mr. tegu 01-13-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10366769)
Watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was actually really impressed. It totally exceeded my expectations in a good way. Touching movie that makes you want to get off your ass and do something with your pathetic life...

Yep. I really liked it as well. Lots of funny moments as well. But something doesn't make sense...

Spoiler!

Anyong Bluth 01-13-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10366994)
Yep. I really liked it as well. Lots of funny moments as well. But something doesn't make sense...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Easy 6 01-13-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

It took too long to get into the action IMO, and when it finally did there wasnt nearly enough of it... but yeah, it was ok enough.

Fish 01-13-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10366994)

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

mr. tegu 01-13-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10367136)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

mr. tegu 01-13-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10367053)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

nstygma 01-13-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 10366808)
Flight of the Navigator

Loved that as a kid!

maybe The Secret of NIMH, Watership Down(actually, probably not ok)

Anyong Bluth 01-13-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10367168)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Frosty 01-13-2014 04:05 PM

I have a ton of movies waiting on the DVR now thanks to the HBO/Skinamax free preview weekend last weekend.

I was sick on Friday, so watched "Life of Pi". When it came out, it sounded kind of dumb. However, I thought it was really good. My wife and I also watched "We Bought a Zoo", which was kind of dumb but better than expected (I had zero expectations).

My boys and I also watched "Ted" this weekend. My wife was disgusted but the boys and I all laughed.

I am waaaay behind on newer movies.

kcxiv 01-13-2014 05:19 PM

Killing Season with De Niro and Travolta. Really good indy flick! Great dialogue between the 2 even when they hunt one another

The Franchise 01-14-2014 12:11 AM

Going to see Desolation of Smaug tomorrow...

Huffmeister 01-15-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Okay:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Mousehunt

ThaVirus 01-15-2014 05:59 PM

12 Years a Slave.. If you're into that kind of thing, it's worth a watch.

Spoiler!

Silock 01-16-2014 04:50 AM

Just saw Walter Mitty.

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Quirky and awkward at times. Hipster sounding soundtrack, but it fit so perfectly with everything. Amazing cinematography.

One of my favorites of the past year. Maybe THE favorite.

KChiefer 01-16-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Okay:

Escape to Witch Mountain
The Last Mimzy

The Princess Bride?

Watched it with my niece. Just like Fred Savage, she acted liked it was going to be stupid, but was hooked 15mins into it.

Mayosaki's great. Last one I saw was secret world of arriety. Cool to see small household objects in his beautiful detail. Princess Monoke can be a tad slow but it's about a boy ninja kind of, boys should love that stuff.

Also

Babe (the pig)
Charlotte's Web
The Muppet movies

Anyong Bluth 01-16-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10372785)
Just saw Walter Mitty.

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Quirky and awkward at times. Hipster sounding soundtrack, but it fit so perfectly with everything. Amazing cinematography.

One of my favorites of the past year. Maybe THE favorite.

I liked the movie, but it didn't blow me away. It's definitely taken a beating in the reviews that I think is grossly over the top in terms of the criticism to the point of hyperbole.

The studio didn't do itself any favors by having a number of prerelease screenings all the way back in early Fall. The bashing via social media from some in those sneak peek showings caught on fire and really killed their own box office showing with such a negative presence circulating for a few months before it was even released.

I love the concept, and think the movie is shot beautifully, but it has some missing pieces, but overall I think it's worth at least a watch and I know I will watch it again at some point.

As for the soundtrack- I think it's spectacular, and one of the best that I instantly identified how much I liked even early into the movie.

Anyong Bluth 01-16-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 10372805)
The Princess Bride?

Watched it with my niece. Just like Fred Savage, she acted liked it was going to be stupid, but was hooked 15mins into it.

Mayosaki's great. Last one I saw was secret world of arriety. Cool to see small household objects in his beautiful detail. Princess Monoke can be a tad slow but it's about a boy ninja kind of, boys should love that stuff.

Also

Babe (the pig)
Charlotte's Web
The Muppet movies

The newest Muppets movie with Jason Segal is A+, if you haven't seen it, fyi!

patteeu 01-16-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 10372805)
Babe (the pig)

Excellent suggestion.

Silock 01-16-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10372908)
I liked the movie, but it didn't blow me away. It's definitely taken a beating in the reviews that I think is grossly over the top in terms of the criticism to the point of hyperbole.

The studio didn't do itself any favors by having a number of prerelease screenings all the way back in early Fall. The bashing via social media from some in those sneak peek showings caught on fire and really killed their own box office showing with such a negative presence circulating for a few months before it was even released.

I love the concept, and think the movie is shot beautifully, but it has some missing pieces, but overall I think it's worth at least a watch and I know I will watch it again at some point.

As for the soundtrack- I think it's spectacular, and one of the best that I instantly identified how much I liked even early into the movie.

Yeah, I don't listen to social media for reviews. Or anyone, really. I just don't have the energy for that.

Anyong Bluth 01-16-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10373361)
Yeah, I don't listen to social media for reviews. Or anyone, really. I just don't have the energy for that.

I'll see what a few are saying that I tend to agree with, but ultimately the trailer kinda is my barometer for seeing something. Now, if I hear good things about something I may not have been interested in I will give it a chance most likely.

I scour for movies enough as it is, and love independent film, so most times I'm the one giving the recommendations.

When I make it back to visit my parents I typically load them up with at least 15 - 20 or so flicks to watch over the next few months.

It's gotten a little less tedious now that I set up a roku I got them with access to all my premium pay channels, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. I also setup a media server and gave them a tutorial of using a shared
box.com account so I can load up stuff back in Chicago and they are able to watch it in KC.

-King- 01-16-2014 01:47 PM

Watched 12 years a slave and fruitvale station this past week. Both GREAT movies, especially 12 years a slave.

ThaVirus 01-16-2014 01:49 PM

Elysium blew dicks.

Anyong Bluth 01-16-2014 02:12 PM

Just randomly came to mind a movie I haven't seen in a while that's a great flick. It never got major distribution or any advertising or promotional budget, so I bet a lot of people who would really like it don't even know about the movie.

I highly recommend it, and take a look at what a great cast of soon to get rising stars it has in it.

Has anyone else seen this already around here? Again, highly recommend it! !

Sunshine (2007)

Cillian Murphy
(Robert Capa)

Michelle Yeoh
(Corazon)

Troy Garity
(Harvey)

Rose Byrne
(Cassie)

Hiroyuki Sanada
(Kaneda)

Benedict Wong
(Trey)

Chris Evans
(Mace)

Cliff Curtis
(Searle)

Mark Strong
(Pinbacker)

Paloma Baeza
(Capa's Sister)

Archie Macdonald
(Child)

Sylvie Macdonald
( Child)

Chipo Chung
(Icarus' voice)

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YZ2-xR54UDU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YZ2-xR54UDU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

NewChief 01-16-2014 05:24 PM

Watched the Act of Killing last night. It was a completely ****ed up movie, but it didn't manage to keep my attention. It seemed to just drag on and on and on. It's still pretty incredible to watch though. Stunning story with insane visuals.

The Synopsis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing
When Sukarno was overthrown by Suharto following the failed coup of the 30 September Movement in 1965, the gangsters Anwar Congo and Adi Zulkadry in Medan (North Sumatra) were promoted from selling black market movie theatre tickets to leading the most notorious death squad in North Sumatra, as part of the Indonesian killings of 1965–66. They also extorted ethnic Chinese locals, killing those who refused to pay. Anwar personally killed approximately 1,000 people, usually by strangling with wire.

Today, Anwar is revered as a founding father of the right-wing paramilitary organization Pemuda Pancasila that grew out of the death squads. The organization is so powerful that its leaders include government ministers, and they are happy to boast about everything from corruption and election rigging to genocide. A regime was founded on crimes against humanity, yet has never been held accountable.

Invited by Oppenheimer, Anwar and his friends eagerly re-enact the killings for the cameras, and make dramatic scenes depicting their memories and feelings about the killings. The scenes are produced in the style of their favorite film genres: gangster, western, and musical. Various aspects of Anwar and his friends' filmmaking process are shown, but as they begin to dramatize Anwar's own nightmares, the fiction scenes begin to take over the film's form, leading the film to become increasingly surreal and nightmarish. Oppenheimer has called the result "a documentary of the imagination".

While some of Anwar's friends realize that the killings were wrong, others worry about the consequences of the story on their public image. Younger members of Pemuda Pancasila argue that they should boast about the horror of the massacres, because their terrifying and threatening force is the basis of their power today.

Spoiler!

rocknrolla 01-16-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10356728)
August Rush might be a fun movie. It has some adult themes to it but with the central theme of the musical savant it could keep them engaged.

Soundtrack is great!

nstygma 01-17-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10373551)
Has anyone else seen this already around here? Again, highly recommend it! !

yep i've seen it a few times over the years. i like it.

Ceej 01-17-2014 06:39 AM

The World's End -- pretty hilarious. My only beef is sometimes it's ****ing hard to understand what they're saying because they speak so fast. LMAO

Runner, Runner -- pretty alright. I like JT as an actor, but this character was pretty meh.

Watching Carrie and Prisoners today at some point.

Bowser 01-17-2014 11:34 AM

Sunshine was a fantastic movie.

Anyong Bluth 01-17-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10374718)
yep i've seen it a few times over the years. i like it.

Ended up buying a 1080p digital copy of it for my ultraviolet library because I like it so much, and it was only $9, also added hd copy of Lucky Number Slevin for only $5.

I've come around on having a digital cloud movie library- definitely didn't think I would care all that much about having the option, but it's grown on me, and damn convenient.

Anyong Bluth 01-17-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10374775)
The World's End -- pretty hilarious. My only beef is sometimes it's ****ing hard to understand what they're saying because they speak so fast. LMAO

Runner, Runner -- pretty alright. I like JT as an actor, but this character was pretty meh.

Watching Carrie and Prisoners today at some point.

Carrie = bore and pass as I thought it was a waste of time.

Prisoners = good flick!

Ceej 01-18-2014 06:01 AM

Carrie sucked pretty hard, although the lead is smoking hot (I hope she's of age).

Prisoners was good. Not a huge fan of the ending, but I enjoyed it. I wish Terrence Howard had more of a role.

Fairplay 01-18-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10373551)
Just randomly came to mind a movie I haven't seen in a while that's a great flick. It never got major distribution or any advertising or promotional budget, so I bet a lot of people who would really like it don't even know about the movie.

I highly recommend it, and take a look at what a great cast of soon to get rising stars it has in it.

Has anyone else seen this already around here?

Yes I liked that movie and it has awesome eye candy in it.

NewChief 01-18-2014 01:48 PM

Watched Riddick last night. Mindless entertainment, though the first sequence of fights was almost silly in how it just kept going and going and going with varying things trying to kill him.

Huffmeister 01-18-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

I watched this on Netflix the other night. I had never heard of it and didn't know what to expect. Thought it was really well done. It's no Moon (the pinnacle of modern sci-fi) but if you like space movies, it's definitely worth a watch.

Miles 01-18-2014 10:06 PM

Just watched Oblivion again tonight on HBO. I wasn't expecting all that much the first time and really enjoyed it. Held up well the second time through and a pretty damn good flick.

Aries Walker 01-19-2014 08:36 AM

I saw The World's End yesterday. It was good, but not great. I hated hated hated Simon Pegg's character, and once the premise was established, there wasn't a single surprise in the whole movie. It had its moments, but if you're tempted to see it, go rent Attack the Block instead.

BigMeatballDave 01-19-2014 11:11 AM

Secret life of Walter Mitty was really good.

underEJ 01-19-2014 11:27 AM

After the Oscar noms, I thought oh crap, Julia Roberts again. What is the fascination? But I saw August in Osage County yesterday and wow. It is the best thing she has ever done. Great performances all around especially Chris Cooper and Margot Martindale.

Ceej 01-19-2014 04:22 PM

While it isn't a movie -- Kevin Hart's Let Me Explain is hilarious.

The bum and Applebees part had me in tears.

Fairplay 01-19-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 10378163)
After the Oscar noms, I thought oh crap, Julia Roberts again. What is the fascination? But I saw August in Osage County yesterday and wow. It is the best thing she has ever done. Great performances all around especially Chris Cooper and Margot Martindale.

Chris Cooper always seems mad and upset about something I don't think I've seen him crack a smile come to think of, not a lot of depth in his characters.

underEJ 01-19-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10380013)
Chris Cooper always seems mad and upset about something I don't think I've seen him crack a smile come to think of, not a lot of depth in his characters.

Adaptation and the Muppet movie, just off the top of my head. Doing what the role calls for is different to not having the range. He has the range.

Anyong Bluth 01-19-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 10378163)

Halfway through the movie I and the other person I saw it with both commented that Ivy might be the only normal one in that entire family. Wow, about 10-15 minutes later, we couldn't help but laugh at ourselves for being way off!

Good flick, and I'll agree it's probably Julia's best work since Erin Brokovich. She needs to thank her best bud, Clooney, who was the executive producer, with hooking her up with such a choice role.

As always, Streep, did a tremendous job, and could be looking at setting a record for winning her 4th Academy Award.