ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ****OFFICIAL 2020 Saccopoo CP Mock Draft Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329772)

Rain Man 03-26-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14869463)
Yea he would’ve been at the top of my board for the Chiefs if Baun was gone.

Would you have taken him over Diggs? Those were the two CBs I was considering. Pretty much every ranking showed Diggs higher, but when I'd read the descriptions I preferred Johnson.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 14868552)
The Cincinnati Bengals select Grant Delpit safety LSU

Will write later

This is who I'd have taken for the Chiefs.

He's so multi-faceted and so talented that you can run any scheme imaginable w/ him, Thornhill and Mathieu back there. And Mathieu is a cap casualty likely as soon as next season (if Jones is retained...maybe even if he isn't) at which time Delpit and Thornhill would still give you a dynamic pair of young safeties.

It isn't that I dislike Baun at all - I don't. I think he's a nice player. But I think he's a lower ceiling guy at a position we're perhaps overvaluing (I don't think he develops into the sort of 3-down Mike we're looking for; a Bobby Wagner kind of guy).

He's safe and steady as the sunrise. But if Delpit were there, I couldn't pass on him. He just brings too much to the table, IMO. You get a talent like that in your defensive backfield and you'll find a way to make him a difference-maker.

RunKC 03-26-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14869559)
This is who I'd have taken for the Chiefs.

He's so multi-faceted and so talented that you can run any scheme imaginable w/ him, Thornhill and Mathieu back there. And Mathieu is a cap casualty likely as soon as next season (if Jones is retained...maybe even if he isn't) at which time Delpit and Thornhill would still give you a dynamic pair of young safeties.

It isn't that I dislike Baun at all - I don't. I think he's a nice player. But I think he's a lower ceiling guy at a position we're perhaps overvaluing (I don't think he develops into the sort of 3-down Mike we're looking for; a Bobby Wagner kind of guy).

He's safe and steady as the sunrise. But if Delpit were there, I couldn't pass on him. He just brings too much to the table, IMO. You get a talent like that in your defensive backfield and you'll find a way to make him a difference-maker.

I can’t see them getting rid of Matheiu. He’s the leader of the defense and his presence alone changes everything.
I think they’ll push his money back in an extension and get rid of other high priced casualties instead like LDT, Fisher and Hitchens.

In fact, I think they’ll draft replacements for at least 2 of them this year and let them go in 2021.

This is a sneaky good OT class and I can see Andy drafting one as early as 64 if one of them is there.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14869688)
I can’t see them getting rid of Matheiu. He’s the leader of the defense and his presence alone changes everything.
I think they’ll push his money back in an extension and get rid of other high priced casualties instead like LDT, Fisher and Hitchens.

In fact, I think they’ll draft replacements for at least 2 of them this year and let them go in 2021.

This is a sneaky good OT class and I can see Andy drafting one as early as 64 if one of them is there.

Yeah, he's undeniably a great candidate for an extension. The deal always looked like something of a 2-year contract w/ a window to revise in year 3.

But man, he'll have a LOT of leverage in those discussions and may not be overly eager to really bargain. 2021 will be his age 29 season and I can't imagine you'd be eager to push him much past 30 as a top of the market safety. That's just a real risky bet.

So if you approach him in 2021 and look to turn that $14 million base into a 3 year extension, how do you make it palatable for him? Convert $12 million of it into bonus w/ a $2 million base salary? Kicks $8 million into 2022 and 2023 as pro-rated cap, brings his cap hit down to about $7 million for 2021. Toss a $13 million base in for 2022 and $17 million base for 2023? Leaving a cap hit of $17 million for 2022 and 20 million for 2023 (knowing full well he won't see it)?

I'd say that borders on team friendly and it's STILL possible he wouldn't bite. And frankly it only kicks the can 1 year down the road (sees a $17 million cap figure in 2022 instead of $16.3 in 2021) while creating an $4 million dead cap charge for 2023.

There's just so many guys we'd "like to keep" that it's hard to see it happening. The cap just isn't structured to let teams hold onto 5-6 guys at/near the top of their respective markets. With Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark, Jones and Mathieu....cap just isn't designed to let teams do that for any appreciable period of time.

staylor26 03-26-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14869535)
Would you have taken him over Diggs? Those were the two CBs I was considering. Pretty much every ranking showed Diggs higher, but when I'd read the descriptions I preferred Johnson.

Yea. He’s just more consistent/safe and ready to start day 1, which is what we need.

RealSNR 03-26-2020 03:43 PM

This is where the Browns I think would attempt to trade down and let the board fall into place so that they don't have to make as much of a difficult choice. There's like 5 different directions they could go.

They went boring and safe with their first pick, and you know what? The Browns could use boring and safe. They really could. If they had some boring and safe last year I think they could have won a couple more games.

They get an NFL-ready starter with a bright future and a brilliant resume at perhaps their greatest positional need. Yeah, they could go with higher ceiling players at other positions, but this is honestly exactly what they need right now.

The Cleveland Browns select Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

KurtCobain 03-26-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14869953)
This is where the Browns I think would attempt to trade down and let the board fall into place so that they don't have to make as much of a difficult choice. There's like 5 different directions they could go.

They went boring and safe with their first pick, and you know what? The Browns could use boring and safe. They really could. If they had some boring and safe last year I think they could have won a couple more games.

They get an NFL-ready starter with a bright future and a brilliant resume at perhaps their greatest positional need. Yeah, they could go with higher ceiling players at other positions, but this is honestly exactly what they need right now.

Damn good pick.

The Franchise 03-26-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14869953)

You ****ing asshole.

staylor26 03-26-2020 04:16 PM

The Jacksonville Jaguars select Austin Jackson, OT, USC

The Jags are thrilled to get a guy that was on their short list for 20 here.

KurtCobain 03-26-2020 04:22 PM

The Indianapolis Colts are getting very excited right now.

The Franchise 03-26-2020 04:29 PM

The Chicago Bears select Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

staylor26 03-26-2020 04:35 PM

Loving my Jags draft so far:

1. Javon Kinlaw
20. Jeff Gladney
42. Austin Jackson

KurtCobain 03-26-2020 04:44 PM

Indy selects Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson. And we couldn't be happier. Going into the draft we had Higgins and Diggs as our top targets at number 34 and got them both.

chiefscafan 03-26-2020 04:46 PM

Damn that’s who I liked good pick on higgins

The Franchise 03-26-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 14870090)
Indy selects Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson. And we couldn't be happier. Going into the draft we had Higgins and Diggs as our top targets at number 34 and got them both.

I almost took him for the Bears but they have Fuller and absolute dick at CB.