ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338240)

MTG#10 05-31-2021 06:33 AM

Anyone tried out the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? Same idea as a pellet grill but uses lump or briquette charcoal instead of pellets. Supposedly produces more smoke flavor than a pellet grill with the same ease of use. I guess they've been out for over a year now but I just heard about them.

chiefzilla1501 05-31-2021 07:03 AM

Open the lid when it's got a lot of heating up to do until the main firing is done. Play with the p setting. It's easy for the auto temp control to get way too hot

Fish 05-31-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 15691599)
Open the lid when it's got a lot of heating up to do until the main firing is done.

Whaat?

BryanBusby 05-31-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15691590)
Anyone tried out the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? Same idea as a pellet grill but uses lump or briquette charcoal instead of pellets. Supposedly produces more smoke flavor than a pellet grill with the same ease of use. I guess they've been out for over a year now but I just heard about them.

I have a 560. What do you need to know?

MTG#10 05-31-2021 11:03 AM

Do you like it? How does it compare to a regular charcoal/wood smoker as far as smoke flavor?

jjchieffan 05-31-2021 01:23 PM

I used the heck out of it this weekend. I love it. I think that I'm going to invest in a smoke tube though. I would like a little stronger smoke flavor.

chiefzilla1501 05-31-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15691647)
Whaat?

When it needs to get from 0 to 225, found out the hard way that it can overheat if you close the lid since it's working real hard to get to temperature. Especially if there's any grease, like if in mid cook your temperature drops because you ran out of pellets or your p setting is way off.

Thats just been my experience though. Maybe not everyone else's. seems like opening ths lid during the initial fire up is generally a good practice.

MTG#10 05-31-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15691822)
I used the heck out of it this weekend. I love it. I think that I'm going to invest in a smoke tube though. I would like a little stronger smoke flavor.

I have one but I cant seem to keep it lit while inside my pellet smoker. I dont know if its the air circulating through extinguishing it or what. Admittedly, I've only tried it twice for overnight cooks but both times when I opened the lid the next morning I found it still 2/3 full of unlit pellets.

I also have an electric smoker that I've used for years with a "mailbox mod" (google it) and when in the mailbox it always stayed lit all the way through so I know its not user error.

BryanBusby 05-31-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15691692)
Do you like it? How does it compare to a regular charcoal/wood smoker as far as smoke flavor?

I like it. Much better flavor than a pellet or other type of electric smoker and easier to use than a stick burner.

I would recommend getting the 800 series as it's the newest one and they have improved on some of the issues the 560/1050 had. Also comes with a griddle insert.

I have had it for about a year and no regrets leaving a pellet grill behind for it. Not as set it and forget it as a pellet grill, though.

Sorce 05-31-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15691864)
I have one but I cant seem to keep it lit while inside my pellet smoker. I dont know if its the air circulating through extinguishing it or what. Admittedly, I've only tried it twice for overnight cooks but both times when I opened the lid the next morning I found it still 2/3 full of unlit pellets.

I also have an electric smoker that I've used for years with a "mailbox mod" (google it) and when in the mailbox it always stayed lit all the way through so I know its not user error.

I had that problem. You need to let it burn for a bit before blowing it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-31-2021 07:42 PM

I bought this bad boy and will get to fire it up within the next few weeks. https://memphisgrills.com/shop/built...-pro-built-in/

MTG#10 06-01-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 15691996)
I had that problem. You need to let it burn for a bit before blowing it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Oh I do, I let it get going good before putting it in. I'll try it again this weekend and put it on the other side of my grill, not sure if it'll make a difference but worth a shot.

RocKhawks 06-02-2021 05:33 AM

I am thinking of getting the Grilla Grills Chimp. Any thoughts on this one? I feel like wood pellets, and wifi is cheating, but soo much easier!

unlurking 06-02-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15692579)
Oh I do, I let it get going good before putting it in. I'll try it again this weekend and put it on the other side of my grill, not sure if it'll make a difference but worth a shot.

I torch the shit out of mine and let it burn for 10-15 minutes easy while standing up, then turn it over super slowly so the pellets don't move. I also set mine in a disposable aluminum pan (buckle the bottom a bit) to avoid dumping ash everywhere.

tooge 06-02-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocKhawks (Post 15693821)
I am thinking of getting the Grilla Grills Chimp. Any thoughts on this one? I feel like wood pellets, and wifi is cheating, but soo much easier!

I have the Grilla OG. Love it. Works and smokes like a beast