ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Real Madrid's stadium (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=353102)

O.city 04-18-2024 08:09 AM

Real Madrid's stadium

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Real Madrid&#39;s new stadium is a game-changer.<br><br>It includes a fully retractable pitch that can be stored beneath the stadium with the push of a button.<br><br>The storage space includes ventilation, air conditioning, irrigation systems, LED lighting, control cameras, and ultraviolet… <a href="https://t.co/lGnKpeOM0Y">pic.twitter.com/lGnKpeOM0Y</a></p>&mdash; Joe Pompliano (@JoePompliano) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1699157521959624821?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's the offseason, but I thought this was really interesting. Maybe I missed it before?

ptlyon 04-18-2024 08:09 AM

Ya but how much are beers

ThrobProng 04-18-2024 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 17485421)
Ya but how much are beers

Considering they're $16 at Arrowhead, I'll guess $30.

TLO 04-18-2024 08:32 AM

Soccer sucks

TLO 04-18-2024 08:33 AM

That stadium is pretty epic though

loochy 04-18-2024 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17485419)
Real Madrid's new stadium is a game-changer.

It includes a fully retractable pitch that can be stored beneath the stadium with the push of a button.

The storage space includes ventilation, air conditioning, irrigation systems, LED lighting, control cameras, and ultraviolet… pic.twitter.com/lGnKpeOM0Y
— Joe Pompliano (@JoePompliano) September 5, 2023
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's the offseason, but I thought this was really interesting. Maybe I missed it before?

The stadium is not new though. The Santiago Bernabeu is old AF - it was built in 1947. They just finished a 5 year renovation project last fall.

BWillie 04-18-2024 08:36 AM

Must be nice

loochy 04-18-2024 08:37 AM

Jackson County would never vote for this

Balto 04-18-2024 08:50 AM

Seems like a TON of expense focused on bringing the field under ground to keep it maintained.

I'd guess they have lots of concerts and other things going on all the time at the stadium besides soccer?

Titty Meat 04-18-2024 08:51 AM

Is it true the seats come with dildos to sit on since soccer is gay?

ptlyon 04-18-2024 08:51 AM

Rap concerts?

ThrobProng 04-18-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17485454)
Is it true the seats come with dildos to sit on since soccer is gay?

LMAO

Dunerdr 04-18-2024 08:57 AM

**** Soccer!

Is there a fake Madrid? Or?

DJ's left nut 04-18-2024 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17485452)
Seems like a TON of expense focused on bringing the field under ground to keep it maintained.

I'd guess they have lots of concerts and other things going on all the time at the stadium besides soccer?

That's kinda my thought...

I mean it's cool but...for what purpose? Is it really just so you can spend less on labor moving/covering the field in the case of another event?

Because that had to cost a fortune. Putting that into a new build would be pretty expensive but retrofitting that into an existing stadium with a 75 year old infrastructure/foundation had to be STAGGERING.

Graystoke 04-18-2024 09:05 AM

Pretty impressive. Looks like a nightmare to maintain.

FloridaMan88 04-18-2024 09:15 AM

What a waste just to play soccer.

Katipan 04-18-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 17485476)
Pretty impressive. Looks like a nightmare to maintain.

An oversized elevator?
Why?

Jewish Rabbi 04-18-2024 09:17 AM

All the suites have giant beds for the all male orgies because soccer is gay

Mr. Plow 04-18-2024 10:07 AM

Very cool.

mr. tegu 04-18-2024 10:14 AM

At first glance I figured this was just a billionaire owner vanity project to show off to his friends but apparently Real Madrid is owned by about 90,000 fans who vote for things like the team president so they probably had to have voted on this.

Graystoke 04-18-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17485496)
An oversized elevator?
Why?

Are we doing this?

Just off the top of my head.
Perhaps it is the dividing up and moving the field into six longitudinal trays of 107 x 12 meters, each weighing 1500 tons, with numerous trolleys and miles of hydraulics, dropping them 24 meters, putting them in perfect UV conditions with irrigation systems, drainage all with fully automated systems and complex electrical controls.
I mean what could go wrong?

I guess I have been exposed to bigger projects, as this is no oversized elevator used to get the beer to the basement. It will take preventative maintence and redundancy to keep this thing operational.

It is very cool and a feat of engineering.

Womble 04-18-2024 10:22 AM

That is pretty underwhelming when you consider we are getting a bigger TV screen, a few tables and chairs in the end zone, a cheap stage on a bit of grass in the parking lot and a plastic bridge for ONLY $800m. Who needs A/C and a roof? Hell yeah!!!!

Katipan 04-18-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 17485597)
Are we doing this?

Just off the top of my head.
Perhaps it is the dividing up and moving the field into six longitudinal trays of 107 x 12 meters, each weighing 1500 tons, with numerous trolleys and miles of hydraulics, dropping them 24 meters, putting them in perfect UV conditions with irrigation systems, drainage all with fully automated systems and complex electrical controls.
I mean what could go wrong?

I guess I have been exposed to bigger projects, as this is no oversized elevator used to get the beer to the basement. It will take preventative maintence and redundancy to keep this thing operational.

It is very cool and a feat of engineering.

Vertical grows are everywhere.
Work, sure.
Nightmare is a little much.

1 tray or 6 it's the same process. :shrug:

loochy 04-18-2024 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaMan88 (Post 17485495)
What a waste just to play soccer.

Well the whole point is that it's NOT just to play soccer

BEAVER 04-18-2024 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17485610)
Well the whole point is that it's NOT just to play soccer

It is also for faking injuries and something called "Nil Nil".

JimNasium 04-18-2024 11:15 AM

Personally, I’ve always preferred Fake Madrid.

Balto 04-18-2024 11:42 AM

I guess it makes sense they need soft grass for these moments.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PlrJEcRSwW0/hqdefault.jpg

ThrobProng 04-18-2024 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17485678)
I guess it makes sense they need soft grass for these moments.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PlrJEcRSwW0/hqdefault.jpg

That's worthy of a brown card.

notorious 04-18-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrobProng (Post 17485425)
Considering they're $16 at Arrowhead, I'll guess $30.

$600 for me to suffer through a soccer match?

I'll pass.

Jerm 04-18-2024 12:21 PM

Soccer topic so just an excuse to post a couple of my fav. gifs of all time...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8a/73...35693b359f.gif
https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2...DHlm/giphy.gif

ThrobProng 04-18-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 17485708)

The most popular sport in the world is gay as ****. Sad.

Dunerdr 04-18-2024 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrobProng (Post 17485720)
The most popular sport in the world is gay as ****. Sad.

I like you. Not in a Soccer way but like in a we could hang out and make fun of Soccer way.

Dunerdr 04-18-2024 12:36 PM

Imagine the absolute unit of a stadium Fake Madrids planning in their evil lair right now.

Discuss Thrower 04-18-2024 01:16 PM

Would be great for a domed baseball stadium.

Fish 04-18-2024 01:52 PM

Sure, but where would we park though?

Gary Cooper 04-18-2024 02:05 PM

Real Madrid is probably the world's most famous sports team. Or Manchester United. Both teams play in ancient stadiums. Much older than Arrowhead. Real Madrid's stadium has changed so much over the years, it looks more like a modern NFL stadium than a stadium built in the 1940s.

LoneWolf 04-18-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 17485599)
That is pretty underwhelming when you consider we are getting a bigger TV screen, a few tables and chairs in the end zone, a cheap stage on a bit of grass in the parking lot and a plastic bridge for ONLY $800m. Who needs A/C and a roof? Hell yeah!!!!

What's this "we" shit?

LoneWolf 04-18-2024 02:15 PM

Zach just creamed in his size 46 waist pantaloons.

Obligatory "soccer is gay" comment.

Rain Man 04-18-2024 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 17485708)

We also need the one of the guy who flopped and then rolled over and over and over for about 30 yards.

Jerm 04-18-2024 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17485871)
We also need the one of the guy who flopped and then rolled over and over and over for about 30 yards.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5f00...temid=12103963

DJ's left nut 04-18-2024 03:04 PM

Flopping is awful but it does seem to be something you see mostly in Spanish and Latin American leagues/teams. The Premier League, for instance, isn't really that bad about it. They play pretty physical.

But Brazil is, without question, the absolute worst. Even as an extremely casual 'fan' (i.e. I watch it because my kids play it and sometimes they want to watch it), it's easy to see it. Brazil and Mexico are the worst offenders and then there are several other South American squads that aren't as bad but still awfully bad. Spain and Portugal probably next.

Italian and French teams take a bit of heat for it but i really don't think they're too bad. English and German teams don't do it much at all. Americans do it a bit, but nowhere near as egregiously.

Ultimately I think diving is largely cultural. If someone told me they had academies for it at an early age in Brazil, I'd absolutely believe them. I truly believe they celebrate it. And the frustrating part about Brazil is they don't have any sort of talent gap they're trying to close. When Nigeria does it, they're doing it to try to close a gap between them and their opponent - the soccer version of 'uglying up the game' so you can steal one.

But when Brazil does it, it's just them being monumental pussies. Because they are, in fact, monumental pussies.

ToxSocks 04-18-2024 03:15 PM

Nice stadium, but i'd still rather shit at Kohls.

Womble 04-18-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17485852)
What's this "we" shit?

Hello again Lackey. You said you had me on ignore. FYI I don't respond to corporate bootlickers any more. Feel free to reply to this by calling me a 3 toothed limey or whatever other cliché that pops into that hollow head of yours. All the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneBrainCell (Post 17419662)
Before now, I didn't have a single poster on ignore. Congratulations, you have made the list.

LoneWolf 04-18-2024 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Womble (Post 17485939)
Hello again Lackey. You said you had me on ignore. FYI I don't respond to corporate bootlickers any more. Feel free to reply to this by calling me a 3 toothed limey or whatever other cliché that pops into that hollow head of yours. All the best.

Here's a little secret about having someone on ignore. You can choose to see there post by clicking on "view post." I figured you had something stupid to say in a soccer thread so I decided to click and read your stupidity.

By the way, you realize you broke the bolded part of your post as you were typing it. ****ing dumbass.

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2024 04:26 PM

Cool concept. Though I can’t imagine a single US venue where it makes nearly as much sense. A place like Madrid hosts a soccer team that plays a lot of home games that can legit sell this stadium out on the reg, walkable (sorry ny and cali), and concerts and events that can routinely sell the place out.

That shit field in Mexico we played on is proof that stadiums by and large are ill equipped for this shit.

HonestChieffan 04-18-2024 04:43 PM

I was in Madrid in September. As a city, it sucks.

Dont care about their stadium.

Stupid to call it a pitch

Soccer is pretty much stupid.

petegz28 04-18-2024 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAVER (Post 17485641)
It is also for faking injuries and something called "Nil Nil".

Considering they play 90 minutes on both offense and defense, the occasional fake injury to get your team a breather still pales in comparison to 15 minutes breaks in the NFL so we can run a bunch of commercials.

Think about it this way, Tyreek hill is actually in motion for maybe 40 seconds of a 7 or 8 play drive that takes up 4-5 minutes of actual game time.

Christiano Ronaldo is in motion probably 3.5 minutes in the same 4-5 minutes, playing both offense and defense.

No timeouts
No substitutions when you're "tired"
No standing breaks between plays

LoneWolf 04-18-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 17486066)
Considering they play 90 minutes on both offense and defense, the occasional fake injury to get your team a breather still pales in comparison to 15 minutes breaks in the NFL so we can run a bunch of commercials.

Think about it this way, Tyreek hill is actually in motion for maybe 40 seconds of a 7 or 8 play drive that takes up 4-5 minutes of actual game time.

Christiano Ronaldo is in motion probably 3.5 minutes in the same 4-5 minutes, playing both offense and defense.

No timeouts

Bullshit. You think Hill runs a route and then just stands still in place until the next play? He has to jog back to the huddle, jog to where he lines up for the next play, and sometimes go in motion before the snap.

Watch any soccer player and tell me they don’t take “breaks”. When the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch they will walk slowly or literally stand motionless for stretches of time.

loochy 04-18-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 17486066)

No timeouts

In yesterday's game, Jude Bellingham was recorded as running 15km

Chief Pagan 04-18-2024 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17486080)
Bullshit. You think Hill runs a route and then just stands still in place until the next play? He has to jog back to the huddle, jog to where he lines up for the next play, and sometimes go in motion before the snap.

Watch any soccer player and tell me they don’t take “breaks”. When the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch they will walk slowly or literally stand motionless for stretches of time.

Soccer is played at a ninety minute jog/walk.

Hockey is played at a ~50 second sprint.

ghak99 04-18-2024 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 17485585)
At first glance I figured this was just a billionaire owner vanity project to show off to his friends but apparently Real Madrid is owned by about 90,000 fans who vote for things like the team president so they probably had to have voted on this.

It sounds like they're similar to KC residents in that they love the K and Arrowhead and would rather keep their mystic via rebuilds, even if they're expensive.

BWillie 04-18-2024 07:56 PM

What is Real Madrid? Is that different than Fake Madrid?

Pablo 04-18-2024 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17486144)

It’s real gay. Like soccer!

loochy 04-18-2024 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17486144)

In Spanish, real means "royal". This team was the chosen team of King Alfonso back in the early 1900s

petegz28 04-19-2024 02:47 AM

Quote:

And he gets to go sit down when he gets tired or when the defense is on the field.

They may "take breaks" as you put it, but there is no sitting down and no getting a "breather on the bench" either.

LoneWolf 04-19-2024 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 17486268)
And he gets to go sit down when he gets tired or when the defense is on the field.

They may "take breaks" as you put it, but there is no sitting down and no getting a "breather on the bench" either.

When a soccer player has to get up and keep going 40 seconds after being hit by a 300 lb. man trying to hurt them, I'll start giving 2 shits about how rough they have it having to jog around the pitch for an hour. They are all soft as Charmin.

|Zach| 04-19-2024 06:26 AM

Quote:

I don't think they do not take breaks per say but the momentum they have to keep changes so drastically and in a split second in a way football rarely does. Coupled with the ground they have to cover in order to be an effective player.

The acceleration and change of direction and deceleration can be eye opening.

Since we are talking about football vs soccer this is an interesting video talking about why Messi is one of the best and it talks about his movement in comparison to a former Chiefs player of all people Jamaal Charles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O77vzeFrbjo?si=2JM5_qndgo9BBJI8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 04-19-2024 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17485895)
Flopping is awful but it does seem to be something you see mostly in Spanish and Latin American leagues/teams. The Premier League, for instance, isn't really that bad about it. They play pretty physical.

But Brazil is, without question, the absolute worst. Even as an extremely casual 'fan' (i.e. I watch it because my kids play it and sometimes they want to watch it), it's easy to see it. Brazil and Mexico are the worst offenders and then there are several other South American squads that aren't as bad but still awfully bad. Spain and Portugal probably next.

Italian and French teams take a bit of heat for it but i really don't think they're too bad. English and German teams don't do it much at all. Americans do it a bit, but nowhere near as egregiously.

Ultimately I think diving is largely cultural. If someone told me they had academies for it at an early age in Brazil, I'd absolutely believe them. I truly believe they celebrate it. And the frustrating part about Brazil is they don't have any sort of talent gap they're trying to close. When Nigeria does it, they're doing it to try to close a gap between them and their opponent - the soccer version of 'uglying up the game' so you can steal one.

But when Brazil does it, it's just them being monumental pussies. Because they are, in fact, monumental pussies.

Yep

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-19-2024 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17485854)
Zach just creamed in his size 46 waist pantaloons.

Obligatory "soccer is gay" comment.

He hasn't been a size 46 since he was in grade school.

petegz28 04-19-2024 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17486277)
When a soccer player has to get up and keep going 40 seconds after being hit by a 300 lb. man trying to hurt them, I'll start giving 2 shits about how rough they have it having to jog around the pitch for an hour. They are all soft as Charmin.

Reek rarely gets hit by a 300 pound man. That being said you're talking out of your ass if you think it's just "jogging around". Have a good weekend.

Rainbarrel 04-19-2024 08:19 AM

You can't make kids wear condoms, so promote soccer

Lzen 04-19-2024 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 17485441)
Soccer sucks

And why do they call it a pitch? It's a field.

petegz28 04-19-2024 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 17486379)
You can't make kids wear condoms, so promote soccer

OR.....

Play soccer and ...

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...gend-award.jpg

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/i...-03-8acef3.jpg

Lzen 04-19-2024 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17486302)
I don't think they do not take breaks per say but the momentum they have to keep changes so drastically and in a split second in a way football rarely does. Coupled with the ground they have to cover in order to be an effective player.

The acceleration and change of direction and deceleration can be eye opening.

Since we are talking about football vs soccer this is an interesting video talking about why Messi is one of the best and it talks about his movement in comparison to a former Chiefs player of all people Jamaal Charles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O77vzeFrbjo?si=2JM5_qndgo9BBJI8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's pretty impressive. Not to denigrate him but the comparison to a football player in pads running is not a fair comparison.

chiefzilla1501 04-19-2024 09:23 AM

It’s obviously apples and oranges to compare soccer players to football players who wear pads and get hit. But without a doubt soccer is extremely intensive on cardio and there’s hard data. They generally run about 7-9 miles. And it is basically like doing a 90 minute practice where you did nonstop sprints with minute breaks in between each one.

https://canada.humankinetics.com/blo...-soccer-player
“ sprints in soccer are 10 to 30 yards (9 to 27 m) long and happen every 45 to 90 seconds. The overall distance an adult male professional player covers at a sprint is roughly 800 to 1,000 yards (730 to 910 m), although in 10- to 30-yard (9 to 27 m) chunks. Hard runs (cruising) happen every 30 to 60 seconds. The time between these hard runs is spent walking, jogging, or standing.”

petegz28 04-19-2024 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17486397)
That's pretty impressive. Not to denigrate him but the comparison to a football player in pads running is not a fair comparison.

So you're saying someone running in pads is harder than someone running while dribbling a ball with their feet?

|Zach| 04-19-2024 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17486397)

Honestly someone running in pads straight line speed and him running while controling the ball at his feet while also managing the defense that is closing in on him. I agree its not a fair comparison but not in the direction you think.

Katipan 04-19-2024 11:04 AM

NFL players don't wear shit anymore.
Like 6 lbs of pads and a helmet.

LoneWolf 04-19-2024 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17486554)
Honestly someone running in pads straight line speed and him running while controling the ball at his feet while also managing the defense that is closing in on him. I agree its not a fair comparison but not in the direction you think.

Running in pads in a pattern while reading the defense and then adjusting to a ball thrown from 40 yards away and catching it while still maintaining momentum knowing at any moment someone could slam into you at a force comparable to small automobile accident vs. running while kicking a ball and then slowly walking around until the ball comes back to you. Hmmm....wonder which one is harder?

|Zach| 04-19-2024 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17486613)
Running in pads in a pattern while reading the defense and then adjusting to a ball thrown from 40 yards away and catching it while still maintaining momentum knowing at any moment someone could slam into you at a force comparable to small automobile accident vs. running while kicking a ball and then slowly walking around until the ball comes back to you. Hmmm....wonder which one is harder?

Honestly....completely disagree and I do not think you have a great read on the situation but no reason to go on about it.

petegz28 04-19-2024 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17486613)

Tell us you don’t know soccer without telling us you don’t know soccer….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petegz28 04-19-2024 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17486599)
NFL players don't wear shit anymore.
Like 6 lbs of pads and a helmet.

That’s a very fair point. I don’t think anyone is saying soccer is nearly as violent as football but it’s definitely more physical than basketball and the requirements of a soccer player from a fitness perspective is one of the most demanding. Like Zach’s video showed, Messi accelerates at the same speed as Charles but he is doing it with a ball at his feet. It’s a lot harder to dribble a ball with your feet, keep your head up and run at full speed than just about anything else in sports.

People love to say they only like sports where you can use your hands and I find it’s because having to use your feet is too hard for them so they’ve just poo-poo’d it from the start.

ThrobProng 04-19-2024 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 17486658)
That’s a very fair point. I don’t think anyone is saying soccer is nearly as violent as football but it’s definitely more physical than basketball and the requirements of a soccer player from a fitness perspective is one of the most demanding. Like Zach’s video showed, Messi accelerates at the same speed as Charles but he is doing it with a ball at his feet. It’s a lot harder to dribble a ball with your feet, keep your head up and run at full speed than just about anything else in sports.

People love to say they only like sports where you can use your hands and I find it’s because having to use your feet is too hard for them so they’ve just poo-poo’d it from the start.

Jamaal Charles? Maybe if they raced today...maybe.

petegz28 04-19-2024 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrobProng (Post 17486662)
Jamaal Charles? Maybe if they raced today...maybe.

Did you watch the video Zach posted?

ThrobProng 04-19-2024 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 17486716)
Did you watch the video Zach posted?

I just did. I initially took your post as meaning Messi could keep up with Charles in a foot race, which obviously isn't the case.

Chief Pagan 04-19-2024 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17486384)
And why do they call it a pitch? It's a field.

And why do they call it football? Because of all the punting.

petegz28 04-19-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrobProng (Post 17486735)
I just did. I initially took your post as meaning Messi could keep up with Charles in a foot race, which obviously isn't the case.

Fair enough. In that case I would point to Christiano Ronaldo or Kylian Mbappe who both are right around the 4.36 Charles runs in a 40m. They may be a touch closer to 4.38-4.40 but nonetheless, you get the point.

chiefzilla1501 04-19-2024 01:49 PM

Are people really arguing as if soccer players, who are generally smaller because they don’t need nearly the same size, are not as fast as football players or that they aren’t in absurdly good cardio shape? Or that they aren’t physical as if there isn’t constant boxing out for position? Yeah the closing speed of a defender going in for a slide tackle when a player is on the break is going to be elite.

NFL players are insanely fit too. It’s not really a competition. They are just fit in different ways for different purposes.

petegz28 04-19-2024 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17486865)
Are people really arguing as if soccer players, who are generally smaller because they don’t need nearly the same size, are not as fast as football players or that they aren’t in absurdly good cardio shape? Or that they aren’t physical as if there isn’t constant boxing out for position? Yeah the closing speed of a defender going in for a slide tackle when a player is on the break is going to be elite.

NFL players are insanely fit too. It’s not really a competition. They are just fit in different ways for different purposes.

Agreed.

Fish 04-19-2024 02:16 PM

Bruce Lee would kick Messi's ass in less than 30 seconds.

:evil: