ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Just What Would a Three-peat Mean to the Chiefs/NFL? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352750)

GabyKeepsMeWarm 03-14-2024 09:11 PM

Just What Would a Three-peat Mean to the Chiefs/NFL?

I'm genuinely curious to hear some thoughts on this. One poster here referred to a potential Chiefs three-peat as a "Pat Trick". I really like the sound of that.

Just how much further into the highest annals of NFL history would a three-peat mean?

MMXcalibur 03-14-2024 09:11 PM

It means the Chiefs won three Super Bowls in a row.

Katipan 03-14-2024 09:14 PM

I worry people will try extra hard to hurt Him.

Megatron96 03-14-2024 09:16 PM

it would mean that the Chiefs are the best team/organization in NFL history. The greatest dynasty of all time.

staylor26 03-14-2024 09:16 PM

Tears.

And I'm ready to drink them!

rydogg58 03-14-2024 09:22 PM

Packers, Niners, Cowboys and Patriots. Those are all teams that most consider dynasties and none of them have done it. We'll stamp our place in history if it happens, and it's unlikely to happen again for a while. At the very least it's not likely to happen in my lifetime.

There's not one legitimate team out there that has any shot of putting something together to win 3 straight. And I can't see any of these ****ers getting their shit together enough to do that. It's our record.

Fishels 03-14-2024 09:24 PM

Why is everyone so focused on 3? It’s going to be 4

RunKC 03-14-2024 09:27 PM

It prettt much equalizes SB 55 bc Brady and Belichick were never that dominant

GloucesterChief 03-14-2024 09:31 PM

The talking heads will start to turn to the idea that Pat is better than Cheatin' Tom.

Tribal Warfare 03-14-2024 09:32 PM

An honest debate that Patrick is the GOAT

wazu 03-14-2024 09:33 PM

It means best team ever, and crazy part is it might be a record that is never broken. The Chiefs are the only dynasty in the Salary Cap era without a massive cheating scandal.

BWillie 03-14-2024 09:51 PM

Everything.

It would mean everything.

Cement this dynasty as the best ever.

Rain Man 03-14-2024 09:53 PM

It means that this team will surpass the reverence previously awarded only to the Lombardi Packers.

Jerm 03-14-2024 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17444295)
it would mean that the Chiefs are the best team/organization in NFL history. The greatest dynasty of all time.

This and Andy is undeniably the GOAT….

comochiefsfan 03-14-2024 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 17444448)
This and Andy is undeniably the GOAT….

Another Super Bowl should give Andy some serious Ammo in the goat talk.

The difference between Belichick without Brady and Reid without Mahomes is huge and elevates Andy a ton.

Belichick has been a straight up bad coach without Tom and cheating.

Pepe Silvia 03-14-2024 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 17444332)
The talking heads will start to turn to the idea that Pat is better than Cheatin' Tom.

They will always say that Tom is better since he beat Patrick head to head.

Spott 03-14-2024 10:21 PM

It means 23 months of non-stop fapping from today.

FloridaMan88 03-14-2024 10:21 PM

Mass suicide in Denver.

Jonestown 2.0.

Hammock Parties 03-14-2024 10:29 PM

A threepeat erases LV

prove me wrong

Hammock Parties 03-14-2024 10:30 PM

absolutely NO ONE will care about LV as part of the mahomes legacy if he's part of the greatest team of all time

ALL TIME

you threepeat, you're the greatest team of all time

PERIOD

**** the record

THREEPEAT = GTOAT

i'm RAGING

scho63 03-14-2024 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 17444311)
Packers, Niners, Cowboys and Patriots. Those are all teams that most consider dynasties and none of them have done it.

Don't forget those fellas from Pittsburgh. :D

RINGLEADER 03-14-2024 10:35 PM

I think not much would change. We might be hated even more and who cares?

We’re a Dee Ford offsides and a Mahomes brain fart away from going to six straight Super Bowls. Let that sink in for a second.

And yeah yeah I agree without that Dee Ford offsides the timeline changes and we probably don’t get Spags, but still…

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-14-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17444520)
Don't forget those fellas from Pittsburgh. :D

and in this era of the salary cap it's so hard to win 1...

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-14-2024 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 17444523)

We’re a Dee Ford offsides and a Mahomes brain fart away from going to six straight Super Bowls. Let that sink in for a second.

And yeah yeah I agree without that Dee Ford offsides the timeline changes and we probably don’t get Spags, but still…

Yea, that ****ing butterfly effect... Probably best we lost then keep Sutton. It sucked at the time, but we would all take it if we were promised this the next 5 years.

ToxSocks 03-14-2024 11:00 PM

It will mean he did something Tom Brady and the Patriots couldn't. Or anyone. So when the debate comes around, Mahomes, the Chiefs...and us, will always say, "yeah but we went back to back to back...greatest dynasty ever". And we'll use it over and over and over and over.....and over.

Pepe Silvia 03-14-2024 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModSocks (Post 17444564)
It will mean he did something Tom Brady and the Patriots couldn't. Or anyone. So when the debate comes around, Mahomes, the Chiefs...and us, will always say, "yeah but we went back to back to back...greatest dynasty ever". And we'll use it over and over and over and over.....and over.

I definitely think the Chiefs Dynasty will be better than the Patriots Dynasty when it's all said and done, I just think the media will always give Brady the individual nudge.

New World Order 03-14-2024 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17444506)
absolutely NO ONE will care about LV as part of the mahomes legacy if he's part of the greatest team of all time

ALL TIME

PERIOD

**** the record

THREEPEAT = GTOAT

i'm RAGING

Greatest dynasty of all time for sure

Fishels 03-14-2024 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 17444470)

Not when Mahomes wins Ring 8

Tribal Warfare 03-14-2024 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 17444470)

Then I'd bring the cheating and who Brady lost to in the postseason besides the Manning Brothers. The head to head rebuttal holds no water

kevrunner 03-14-2024 11:24 PM

So far NFL teams are 0 for 8 when going for a 3 peat, but none of them had Mahomes!

FloridaMan88 03-14-2024 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevrunner (Post 17444586)
So far NFL teams are 0 for 8 when going for a 3 peat, but none of them had Mahomes!

Last team to be in position for a three-peat… the Patriots 20 years ago… lost both their OC and DC and lost one of their best defensive players due to salary cap constraints… Ty Law.

Chiefs already in a better position than they were.

Why Not? 03-14-2024 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17444506)

ALL TIME

PERIOD

**** the record

THREEPEAT = GTOAT

i'm RAGING

This. It would immediately be the “call” to Brady fans who want to “raise” Brady’s 7 titles.

Mahomes pulls off a 3 peat and at worst he’s tied with Brady as the GOAT. At worst.

Bl00dyBizkitz 03-15-2024 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17444503)
A threepeat erases LV

prove me wrong

Nah, ring culture will NEVER let go of Mahomes 0-2 playoff record to Brady. NEVER. They will cling to that till they day they die.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2024 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 17444577)
Greatest dynasty of all time for sure

already prepared

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7BUroAYQPx0?list=PL-_orwcN9YVopwC4RRBEnWunRkr-FoQ7n" title="Greatest Ever: Dream Team (1996)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gordonelloyd 03-15-2024 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17444589)
Last team to be in position for a three-peat… the Patriots 20 years ago… lost both their OC and DC and lost one of their best defensive players due to salary cap constraints… Ty Law.

Chiefs already in a better position than they were.

A key point is the Chiefs don’t seem to be doing anything to hurt themselves. I am definitely not a Dallas fan, but they would’ve had a four peat if Jerry Jones ego hadn’t stood in the way of keeping their head coach.

ThyKingdomCome15 03-15-2024 01:36 AM

For starters a 3peat would be hands down the Dynasty that rules them all with zero debate. It also means they're the greatest team of all time.

Gravedigger 03-15-2024 02:40 AM

It would give you a flex that no other team has ever had, not Tom Brady, not Joe Montana, not Don Shula, not Bill Belichick, so it would verify Reid and Mahomes as two of the best of all time and KC would be the ONLY true Dynasty of all time in the NFL. An opportunity that only shows itself once every 20 years or so, next year will be fun either way.

Rausch 03-15-2024 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17444617)
already prepared

Well, prepare for 4. 4 straight is what's happening.

4 Straight pushes it to the realm of unreachable.

That's forever...That redefines dominance.

big nasty kcnut 03-15-2024 02:57 AM

It mean people will have to shut the **** up about the pats. It mean chiefs will be hated forever and I am all for it. Sometime being the villain is a good thing.

BWillie 03-15-2024 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 17444523)

No.

The reason people play sports and are fans is to root for greatness. To see something that has never been done before.

A 3-peat in pro football has never been done before.

It would be one of the biggest things to ever happen in sports history.

Rausch 03-15-2024 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17444665)

A 3-peat in pro football has never been done before.

It would be one of the biggest things to ever happen in sports history.

And it would be happening in the hardest era ever to build a dynasty. In the time of salary caps, free agency, and parity our team stepped up to become the most dominant dynasty ever.

Yeah, it's going to be a huge accomplishment.

KobesPilot 03-15-2024 05:37 AM

A dynasty is in the making, don't know of any other teams who have had roster mishaps like we have but remain unbeatable in the playoffs against teams with an overall better roster, but they just don't play like a team should, they're all in it for themselves. It's a Brotherhood in KC.

SHOWTIME 03-15-2024 05:47 AM

I'm thinking 20-0 myself next year...

FlaChief58 03-15-2024 05:54 AM

Win 3 in a row, and you have to be considered the greatest dynasty of all time.

RedinTexas 03-15-2024 07:06 AM

The 70s Steelers really stand out to me as the greatest of all the dynasties. They went back-to-back twice in the span of 6 years. With a couple of breaks they could have won 6 in a row, but they didn't. Three in a row was beyond the capability of the mighty Steelers and they were competing before the salary cap and free agency.

Winning three in a row would elevate the Chiefs dynasty to the level of those Steelers because we are doing it at a time when it is far more difficult to sustain success. In my mind, three in a row would make the Chiefs the greatest of all the dynasties.

stevieray 03-15-2024 07:09 AM

That Lamar and his fanbase got their just desserts.

Rainbarrel 03-15-2024 07:19 AM

Belton Missouri will eclipse Roswell New Mexico as "the" alien crash site

dirk digler 03-15-2024 07:22 AM

Quote:

Packers, Niners, Cowboys and Patriots. Those are all teams that most consider dynasties and none of them have done it. We'll stamp our place in history if it happens, and it's unlikely to happen again for a while. At the very least it's not likely to happen in my lifetime.

There's not one legitimate team out there that has any shot of putting something together to win 3 straight. And I can't see any of these ****ers getting their shit together enough to do that. It's our record.

This sums it up 100%.

That is why I believe we go for broke this year regardless of future cap issues.

Lzen 03-15-2024 07:25 AM

Quote:

Don't forget the Steelers in the 70s.
in this day and age of FA, it is much harder. The NFL is designed to create parity. This would be an unheard of accomplishment.

ChiefsFanatic 03-15-2024 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17444402)
Everything.

It would mean everything.

Cement this dynasty as the best ever.

It would give me, a Kansas City Chiefs fan, the ultimate bragging rights, until another 3 peat in the NFL, which means I would have bragging rights over every other dynasty team and franchise, basically forever.

I love winning, and I love winning Super Bowls, but, as a fan who suffered through every QB since Dawson, l would be mostly content if Mahomes was Mahomes, but the team hadn't won SBs yet. I would love to brag about having the next GOAT at QB, even without the rings.

But, having the next GOAT at QB, the absolute GOAT at tight end, and multiple SBs is amazing. Having all that, plus being the only team, and Dynasty, to win 3 SBs in a row, would make us better than everyone, for always.

**** off 72 Dolphins, no one gives a **** you went 17-0, because we just won 3 rings in a row, and 4 out of the last 6.

Same with Brady. No one will care about 7 because Mahomes will have 4, with the only 3-peat in the Super Bowl era.

If we don't win it, I will be crushed. And at the same time I know it's ridiculously improbable that we win SB 59. But, man, I really want to.

Red Dawg 03-15-2024 07:33 AM

3 straight gives you best team ever status. Gives Mahomes a big jump to Brady in the media.

Brooklyn 03-15-2024 07:42 AM

Agree we're going for 4 like the 1980s Islanders.

InChiefsHeaven 03-15-2024 08:00 AM

3 straight would produce the greatest amount hatred and vitriol from our rivals...fans of other teams would be actively rooting for injuries, there would be tons of articles describing Chiefs Fatigue, the weirdos would be out in force protesting the name, the chop, all of it (even more than they are now)...

...in short, it'll be ****ing awesome! LET'S GO!!

InChiefsHeaven 03-15-2024 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn (Post 17444803)
Agree we're going for 4 like the 1980s Islanders.

Going for 4 so we can illustrate just how OPPOSITE the Bills we really are...

SHOWTIME 03-15-2024 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 17444791)
It would give me, a Kansas City Chiefs fan, the ultimate bragging rights, until another 3 peat in the NFL, which means I would have bragging rights over every other dynasty team and franchise, basically forever.

I love winning, and I love winning Super Bowls, but, as a fan who suffered through every QB since Dawson, l would be mostly content if Mahomes was Mahomes, but the team hadn't won SBs yet. I would love to brag about having the next GOAT at QB, even without the rings.

But, having the next GOAT at QB, the absolute GOAT at tight end, and multiple SBs is amazing. Having all that, plus being the only team, and Dynasty, to win 3 SBs in a row, would make us better than everyone, for always.

**** off 72 Dolphins, no one gives a **** you went 17-0, because we just won 3 rings in a row, and 4 out of the last 6.

Same with Brady. No one will care about 7 because Mahomes will have 4, with the only 3-peat in the Super Bowl era.

If we don't win it, I will be crushed. And at the same time I know it's ridiculously improbable that we win SB 59. But, man, I really want to.

While I don't think getting a 3-peat by itself leap frogs us over NE, it would give us the edge in a tiebreaker. If we get to 6, we can say the three-peat puts us over the top.

Gary Cooper 03-15-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOWTIME (Post 17444875)
While I don't think getting a 3-peat by itself leap frogs us over NE, it would give us the edge in a tiebreaker. If we get to 6, we can say the three-peat puts us over the top.

New England basically had two separate dynasties. But yes, they were relevant for over 15 years, even during that ten year gap between Super Bowls wins.

tredadda 03-15-2024 09:21 AM

It would mean everything. It’s hard to repeat, especially in a salary cap era and would mark this as the greatest dynasty and run of all time. So many pieces have to fall just right as because of the hard cap one can’t just buy a championship.

RedinTexas 03-15-2024 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 17444829)
3 straight would produce the greatest amount hatred and vitriol from our rivals...fans of other teams would be actively rooting for injuries, there would be tons of articles describing Chiefs Fatigue, the weirdos would be out in force protesting the name, the chop, all of it (even more than they are now)...

...in short, it'll be ****ing awesome! LET'S GO!!

And the KC Star would be apoplectic with outrage over the team name.

Kman34 03-15-2024 10:04 AM

If it means that old woman Skip Bayless commits suicide… I’m all in..

Hammock Parties 03-15-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17444647)
Well, prepare for 4. 4 straight is what's happening.

4 Straight pushes it to the realm of unreachable.

That's forever...That redefines dominance.

I don't think we can get 4. We're going to lose too much on defense, OL and maybe Kelce.

PHOG 03-15-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 17444973)
And the KC Star would be apoplectic with outrage over the team name.

Spontaneous combustion comes to mind.

JimNasium 03-15-2024 10:23 AM

It immediately cements Mahomes as a Jordan level athlete (he’s already there, but increases the recognition), puts this team into that Jordan-era Bulls category, and probably elevates them collectively above every legendary sports dynasty with the possible exception of the 40s and 50s Yankees. Obviously, the modern era is harder to dominate, so I think it puts the alone on top, but I’m biased.

SHOWTIME 03-15-2024 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17445015)
I don't think we can get 4. We're going to lose too much on defense, OL and maybe Kelce.

Why it's so important to go all-in this year and get at least 3 in a row and shove it up NE's rear end.

KC_Lee 03-15-2024 10:30 AM

Florio's head if KC performs the Pat Trick.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/nNfU7XBuHzr44" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gifnews-gif-gifnews-explodinghead-collegestudents-college-studies-scanners-nNfU7XBuHzr44">via GIPHY</a></p>

gordonelloyd 03-15-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 17445050)
It immediately cements Mahomes as a Jordan level athlete (he’s already there, but increases the recognition), puts this team into that Jordan-era Bulls category, and probably elevates them collectively above every legendary sports dynasty with the possible exception of the 40s and 50s Yankees. Obviously, the modern era is harder to dominate, so I think it puts the alone on top, but I’m biased.

Other exceptions would be Bob Cousy, Bill Russell‘s, Boston Celtics and several Montréal Canadiens dynasties in hockey.

Bl00dyBizkitz 03-15-2024 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 17445050)

I think they already are comparable to the 90's Bulls.

philfree 03-15-2024 09:19 PM

Three peckered GOAT!

BigRedChief 03-15-2024 10:16 PM

Quote:

yeah not even Veach or restructuring Mahomes contract is going to fix all our players that need new contracts next year.

crazycoffey 03-15-2024 11:03 PM

Well, once you (as a player) get one superbowl win there are quotes from coaches and pundits who say “no one can take this away from you”.

I feel like being apart of the team to be the first to win three in a row, the quote becomes even more poignant…. No one can take that away from the chiefs.

Thus, it’ll be even harder this year. Think we got everyone’s best last year……. No one on any other team wants to see the chiefs win a third in a row. They all want to be the reason the chiefs don’t make the playoffs. They all want to be the team who knocked the chiefs out, and I hope the team thinks like this, prepares for this.

Because they are at the cusp of a greatness no other team has ever achieved.

kccrow 03-15-2024 11:17 PM

It would cement them as the greatest dynasty in NFL history I'd think. 7 consecutive Conference Championship games would be 1 less than Pats, 5 Super Bowl appearances in 6 years would be the most ever, and would be the only team ever to win 3 consecutive Super Bowls.

The Pats, do you separate eras/dynasties into 2002-2007 and 2011-2018? I think you do.

Fishels 03-16-2024 01:35 AM

Quote:

In a row probably not. But in terms of ceiling I still feel like people under rate Mahomes. I’ve even seen people in the fanbase almost imply like if we don’t threepeat this year we’re never winning it again.

As long as Mahomes stays healthy and is built around I think he will be Brady esque in longevity. Yes he will have to change play style but he is an unbelievable talent. Getting to 6 AFCG in a row (and that’s his worst)is just not by accident.

I’m more excited to see Mahomes 30’s than his 20’s in all honesty

alanm 03-16-2024 05:09 AM

I can't speak for the Chiefs, but it would make me happy.

As far as "A Pat Trick" goes I could see some one like Rich Eisen rolling with that phrase all year. ;)

Coochie liquor 03-16-2024 06:12 AM

Brady announcing as the Chiefs 3peat! Omg that will be as awesome as winning in Vegas with Failway handing us the trophy. That completes the circle.

DJay23 03-16-2024 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 17444745)
The 70s Steelers really stand out to me as the greatest of all the dynasties. They went back-to-back twice in the span of 6 years. With a couple of breaks they could have won 6 in a row, but they didn't. Three in a row was beyond the capability of the mighty Steelers and they were competing before the salary cap and free agency.

Winning three in a row would elevate the Chiefs dynasty to the level of those Steelers because we are doing it at a time when it is far more difficult to sustain success. In my mind, three in a row would make the Chiefs the greatest of all the dynasties.

I agree with everything you said and I think there are more tiers to this.

If we win 3 in a row it puts us just ahead of the Steelers as you said. We would both have 4 in 6. The Steelers winning 2 back to back in that time frame, which has only been done by them (Damn Eric Fisher and his Achilles!) Then we would have 3 in a row (which is harder) having only been done by us.

But also like you said, winning back to back used to be easier. 8 of the first 14 (57%) Super Bowls were won by teams going back to back. Then it was 10 of 23 (43%), 12 of 28 (43%), 14 of 33 (42%) and 16 of 39 (41%). Now it stands at 18 of 58 ....(31%). If we win 3 in a row then 3 of the 59 Super Bowls have been won by a team going 3 straight (5%).

The Chiefs are only the 3rd team to accomplish back to back Super Bowls in the Salary Cap Era (Denver XXXII, XXXIII; Patriots XXXVIII, XXXIX) The Cowboys 2nd in XXVIII was the last year before the salary cap started in the 94 season. By the way, in looking that up, the first salary cap was $34.6 million)

I would still put the Super Bowl dynasties (which I consider 3 wins in 5 years, but extending beyond that if the QB/Coaches keep winning) in this order IF we win a 3rd straight...

Belichick/Brady
Reid/Mahomes
Noll/Bradshaw
Walsh/Siefert/Montana
Johnson/Switzer/Aikman

Belichick and Brady are an interesting study to me. By my own definition, they really had 2 dynasties 10 years apart. However, in those 10 years they lost 2 Super Bowls and went to a lot of AFCCG. Had Brady and Belichick not stayed together through those 10 years, or had a few years where they didn't win the division or make the playoffs, it might be 2 separate dynasties, but since they didn't I would consider it 1 long dynasty.

So we would have a long way to go to match the dynasty of Belichick and Brady. Probably not possible with Reid/Mahomes given Reid's age. But 3 in a row would give us, in my opinion the best TEAM ever, if not the longest tenured DYNASTY.

RedinTexas 03-16-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 17446232)
I agree with everything you said and I think there are more tiers to this.

If we win 3 in a row it puts us just ahead of the Steelers as you said. We would both have 4 in 6. The Steelers winning 2 back to back in that time frame, which has only been done by them (Damn Eric Fisher and his Achilles!) Then we would have 3 in a row (which is harder) having only been done by us.

But also like you said, winning back to back used to be easier. 8 of the first 14 (57%) Super Bowls were won by teams going back to back. Then it was 10 of 23 (43%), 12 of 28 (43%), 14 of 33 (42%) and 16 of 39 (41%). Now it stands at 18 of 58 ....(31%). If we win 3 in a row then 3 of the 59 Super Bowls have been won by a team going 3 straight (5%).

The Chiefs are only the 3rd team to accomplish back to back Super Bowls in the Salary Cap Era (Denver XXXII, XXXIII; Patriots XXXVIII, XXXIX) The Cowboys 2nd in XXVIII was the last year before the salary cap started in the 94 season. By the way, in looking that up, the first salary cap was $34.6 million)

I would still put the Super Bowl dynasties (which I consider 3 wins in 5 years, but extending beyond that if the QB/Coaches keep winning) in this order IF we win a 3rd straight...

Belichick/Brady
Reid/Mahomes
Noll/Bradshaw
Walsh/Siefert/Montana
Johnson/Switzer/Aikman

Belichick and Brady are an interesting study to me. By my own definition, they really had 2 dynasties 10 years apart. However, in those 10 years they lost 2 Super Bowls and went to a lot of AFCCG. Had Brady and Belichick not stayed together through those 10 years, or had a few years where they didn't win the division or make the playoffs, it might be 2 separate dynasties, but since they didn't I would consider it 1 long dynasty.

So we would have a long way to go to match the dynasty of Belichick and Brady. Probably not possible with Reid/Mahomes given Reid's age. But 3 in a row would give us, in my opinion the best TEAM ever, if not the longest tenured DYNASTY.

It raises some of the questions I posed in another thread about dynasties. When does a dynasty begin? When does it end? The Patriots missed the playoffs entirely in the 2008 season. They went 3 seasons without winning a playoff game from 2008-2010. They went 10 seasons without winning the Super Bowl with only 2 Super Bowl appearances in the middle of their run.

If we're supposed to think of the Patriots as having a single dynasty rather than 2 separate dynasties, then that would give credence to claims like Buffalo having a dynasty in the early 90s even though they never won the Super Bowl, or Minnesota in the late 60s and 70s.

The term "dynasty" is too loosely defined for these purposes.

Eureka 03-16-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17444322)
It prettt much equalizes SB 55 bc Brady and Belichick were never that dominant

Some might say they were the most dominant Coach/QB combo.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 03-16-2024 11:26 AM

If we did pull off the "Pat Trick", Mahomes would have a playoff record of either 19-3 or 18-3, plus the four rings in his seven seasons as a starter. I have considerable doubt anyone would ever better, or equal that kind of start to a career.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-16-2024 11:58 AM

It would be the greatest feat in team sports history. Look at the roster turnover since Ring 1

Tribal Warfare 03-16-2024 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 17446414)
Some might say they were the most dominant Coach/QB combo.

Thanks to cheating

DJay23 03-16-2024 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 17446381)
It raises some of the questions I posed in another thread about dynasties. When does a dynasty begin? When does it end? The Patriots missed the playoffs entirely in the 2008 season. They went 3 seasons without winning a playoff game from 2008-2010. They went 10 seasons without winning the Super Bowl with only 2 Super Bowl appearances in the middle of their run.

If we're supposed to think of the Patriots as having a single dynasty rather than 2 separate dynasties, then that would give credence to claims like Buffalo having a dynasty in the early 90s even though they never won the Super Bowl, or Minnesota in the late 60s and 70s.

The term "dynasty" is too loosely defined for these purposes.

Right about the dynasty definition. Since there is not an agreed upon metric for that, everyone has their own definition. But if you aggregate all of the conversations about dynasties over the years, you usually hear the 60s Packers (if you lump the NFL championships pre Super Bowl...which I think confuses things too much so I leave them out of Super Bowl dynasty talk), the 70s Steelers, the 80s Niners, the 90s Cowboys, the 00s Patriots (or if you prefer the 00s and 10s Patriots), and now the 20s Chiefs.

Early 70s Dolphins went to 3 straight, had an undefeated season and won back to back. They would be next on my list, just didn't run the success long enough.

I mostly lump the the Patriots 2 dynasties into one because it is the same coach and QB combo for that entire stretch. That's an unprecedented aspect to their run like winning 2 back to back for the Steelers, or 3 in a row would be for the Chiefs.